The Matchstick Boy

Jakob, is determined to gain justice for his daughter, against the odds.

Pub Date 10 Oct 2023 | Archive Date 15 Jun 2024

Talking about this book? Use #RowenaKinread #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

When his young brother, Josef, is killed by a rock avalanche, Jakob believes it is murder. He had seen someone on the mountain ridge, above the scree, before it began to roll. But who would want to kill a child, and why? Jakob suspects Ramun, the privileged son of the owner of a matchstick factory, but nobody takes him seriously and he is powerless to obtain justice.

Thirty years later, Jakob’s profoundly deaf daughter is raped by Ramun and becomes with child. Determined to gain justice for his daughter, Jakob unearths a myriad of well-kept secrets in the tight-lipped community, but is anyone willing to tell the truth?

Just as he thinks he has uncovered all the facts, he realises he has made a vital mistake all along. Nothing is really as it seems.

This title can be bought by book sellers and librarians at INGRAMSPARK at a 40% discount.

Advance Praise

This book has been awarded the SILVER MEDAL for THE BEST HISTORICAL MYSTERY 2023 by the Coffee Pot Book Club.

EDITION Paperback
ISBN 9781913719890
PRICE £9.99 (GBP)
PAGES 329

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

This was a really interesting concept for a mystery novel. I enjoyed that it was a family member trying to solve what happened to his brother.I really feel bad for Jakob in the story. You could really dynamics annex and what privilege can do. I was invested with what was going and the secrets that were kept. Rowena kinread does a great job in writing this and keeping me invested in the story. It left me wanting to read more from her.

I received an ARC in return for a fair and honest review. My thanks to NetGalley and the publisher.

I was blindsided by this book with its unassuming cover. The description, while sounding interesting, did not begin to hint at the complexness of plot or richness of characters.

It's the story of the Schneider family and their Swiss valley community. When Anton's home burns to the ground after a lightning strike, his wife goes into early labor from the shock. When she does not survive the birth, Joseph is left to raise his two sons and newborn daughter with the help of his brother and his wife. This begins the story that spans generations and deals with the idea of societal justice.

I was floored by the depth of this book and already know it will be one that I recommend to other readers for years to come. Hats off to the author, Rowena Kinread, for penning such a powerful and wonderful novel.