Inferno's Heir

Pub Date Oct 15 2024 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #InfernosHeir #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Fearing for her life, an outcast princess joins the rebellion against her own kingdom and family. . . but when playing with fire, someone always gets burned.

Teia Carthan abandoned her morals long ago, and now there’s nothing she won’t do to stay alive. So far she has survived her parents’ deaths, the ire of the Council, and innumerable attempts on her life, orchestrated by Jura, her half brother and soon-to-be king of Erisia. Teia’s rare control over two elements marks her as both an outsider and a formidable opponent—but once Jura is crowned king, there will be no way to survive him. Not for Teia, not for anyone.

When Jura moves to crush the rebellion that seeks to overthrow the monarchy, Teia sees one last opportunity to ensure her own safety. She can infiltrate the rebels, locate their base . . . and betray them to Jura, trading their lives for her own.

Yet when Teia meets the rebels, she gets far more than she bargained for. And when she gains not only their trust but their friendship, she begins to have doubts. Perhaps the rebels are right. Perhaps the Golden Palace should be torn down and the monarchy destroyed.

But then again—what if there is another possibility? What if Teia were on the throne instead?

Teia Carthan abandoned her morals long...

A Note From the Publisher

EPUB available late May.

EPUB available late May.

Advance Praise

Inferno's Heir is an absolute delight. Teia is the kind of character you'll follow anywhere--devious, driven, and full of emotion. The world is so rich and intriguing that I sank into it and never wanted to leave." --Marie Rutkoski, New York Times bestselling author of The Hollow Heart, The Winner's Curse trilogy, and the Kronos Chronicles

"Full of court intrigue, assassinations, prison breaks, and heists, this is a dangerous and riveting story that's part Six of Crows, part Game of Thrones, and part The Poppy War. I adored Teia, its relentlessly fierce, morally gray heroine, and rooted for her, even in the most impossible situations. Absolutely recommended if you're looking for a book that you will have to devour in one sitting." –Jamie Pacton, bestselling author of The Absinthe Underground and The Vermilion Emporium

"Inferno's Heir is just like its protagonist: destructive, deceptive, and heart wrenching. Wang creates a world where heroes and villains are two sides of the same coin and fates unfold with the flip of a playing card. Prepare to fall in love and fall apart in this dark fantasy done right." –Vanessa Le, author of The Last Bloodcarver

“A stunning concoction of political intrigue, found family and nail-biting tension. Inferno’s Heir is destined to be a book people obsess over.” –Jaysen Headley, global top 5 Booktok influencer @ezeekat

Marketing Plan

• Social campaign with over 5M direct reach plus paid promotions
  • National print, broadcast, and online media campaign including radio and podcast interviews
  • Extensive review copy mailings to booksellers, media, and influencers
  • Netgalley and Goodreads promotions
  • NYC launch event with broad influencer and media attendance

Bindery partners with influential book tastemakers to identify and publish resonant stories. This book will receive continuous prepublication and post launch promotion by media-darling book tastemaker Kevin Norman, named one of 12 TikTok LGBTQ+ Trailblazers, with a platform of over 375k followers.

• Social campaign with over 5M direct reach plus paid promotions
  • Extensive review copy mailings to booksellers...

ISBN 9781959411772
PAGES 352

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

I read an early draft of INFERNO'S HEIR back in 2022 and have been praying for more of these characters ever since, so I'm beyond excited that it will be on shelves this year! With beautiful writing, a found family I'd die for, and !!!! twists, Tiffany Wang's debut is incredibly addictive and obsess-worthy. Don't miss it!!

I have read this book at least four times now, from its various drafts to the final version that everyone will be holding in their hands today. When I first came across Inferno’s Heir, I fell in love with our main character, Teia. She embodies the type of characters I adore: morally grey, powerful, and somewhat of an outsider. Teia evoked the same emotions and affection I felt when reading The Cruel Prince, which is one of my all-time favorite YA trilogies.

Beyond Teia, I was captivated by the diverse cast of characters, each battling for what they believe to be right. There is Jura, the malevolent half-brother who treats life as a mere game; the Dawnbreakers, who aim to overthrow Teia’s family legacy; and Teia herself, striving to belong within her own kingdom. I was thoroughly engrossed by the journey of each character as they navigated twists, betrayals, and mysteries. The book’s pace is brisk, making it impossible to put down until the last page—and even then, I was left craving more.

When given the opportunity to publish my first book under my imprint, I knew I wanted to find something reminiscent of Inferno’s Heir—a nod to the YA fantasies that ignited my passion for reading. I hope you fall in love with Teia as much as I did.

Magic. Heists. Found Family.
Some of my favorite things.
Add in the fact that our FMC is a Morally Grey, Political Genius with both Fire and Water Magic flowing in her veins and I was sold.

Tiffany Wang’s world building is exquisite and our side characters are fully fleshed out and you care about them.

The story and the twists kept me engaged and wanting more. And I honestly cannot wait for the sequel (I said that out loud to my partner when I finished). Cannot wait to get my Hardcopy in October!

Thank you Kevin T. Norman and NetGalley for the eARC.

OH TO READ THIS FANTASTIC BOOK! I GAVE IT 4 STARS. THIS BOOK HAS EVERYTHING IN IT. THE CHARACTERS ARE AMAZING. THE STORYLINE IS FANTASTIC.

PAGE ONE! 10 out of 5
I am so picky about books, Im honestly trying to be better about the patience I have before deciding to not finish a read.
I never, not one time, even contemplated on not finishing this. Tiffany Wang has a writing style that i am unable to describe, but from the very first page, I was invested.
Found family, adventure, relatable characters..this is one of those books you recommend to EVERYONE, and I have!
Im so sorry the mass f the world must wait until the Fall!
Once finished, readers will definitely find themselves longing for something that can even remotely scratch the itch that Infernos Heir leaves behind.
Tiffany, I am so incredibly grateful you allowed me to read this delicious story! Bravo!

There is something about books that strip reality away from you while you are falling into their world and this is one of them.

Tiffany Wang’s Inferno’s heir is a brilliant work of the craft and for those who love the books filled with; politics, cunning MC, a dash of magic,lores, heists and brilliant world building this is a book for you.

The plot twist in this book had me rereading the pages and had me utterly upset when I had come to the end because there are so many questions I want answered ! Not only is the MC have bendable morals but she has reasons for doing everything she does and is willing to risk it all.

Inferno’s heir is brimming with lines that would send the characters burning with rage -“if you can’t govern them, you might as well entertain.”
Is one of my personal favourites.
This book was something I saw late in 2023 and was everything and more then I could imagine. One of the top tier reads of the year so far.

Thank you to Tiffany wang, Kevin Norman, the bindery team and NetGalley for the amazing early read.

First of all, this book’s cover is EVERYTHING!!

It took me a while to finish this book even though it certainly has a bunch of things that I enjoy like found family, slow burn (no pun intended), politics, and of course some elements wielding..

I really liked Tiffany’s description of Erisia and the rest of the settings where this story takes place, it made me feel transported, it was so easy to picture everything thanks to her writing.

Unfortunately, I do feel that the book was quite slow at the beginning and then 3/4 into it the pace suddenly changed and everything happened so fast almost without an explanation. I hope we get to see more of this characters in the future!

This was fantastic, I was hooked from the first page until the very end! This is a heist (!!!) story where a disenchanted princess joins a group of rebels to take down her half-brother. It sounds straightforward but there were so many plot twists as the truth is slowly revealed. I love how every single character had ambiguous morals; everyone had their own motives and they weren't necessarily on each other's sides. Teia was an excellent protagonist — she was definitely a bit of an anti-hero, and I love the way her character progressed. The magic was also very cool. Teia can control both fire and water and I enjoyed seeing how she used it to achieve her goals. All in all, this was a super captivating read.

this was a fun book! i really enjoyed it and the cover is stunning! teia is an interesting character and i love her development throughout the story

The PDF isn't great on the kindle. I will be back once the ePub is available. Good luck to Tiffany Wang and Kevin Norman!

Thank you to NetGalley and Bindery Books for the ARC.

I have heard AMAZING things about this novel - from its early draft iterations to now, with this ARC - and so far I am enjoying it immensely. I can't wait to share my final thoughts again here, on GR, and on my blog, but for now I will say that this book has and continues to exceed my expectations! Thank you to NG and the publisher for this opportunity - I'm so excited and grateful to see such diversity amongst AAPI authors in terms of genres, substance, and overall quality in writing, and am proud to be a member of this community myself.

4.25⭐
ngl it was the cover that got me first. i only skimmed the blurb before starting but the inferno's heir turned out to be a pretty easy and enjoyable fantasy read. it was fast paced but somehow lost my interest in a few parts; my mind would drift to space and come back down after a particularly striking passage or turn of events and so i'd have to read a few past paragraphs again... there was hardly any romance thankfully! the main chars were giving me sapphic vibes but to my slight disappointment, it was all just my own delusion!
anyway! the plot really picked toward the end and I'd happily read teia and the dawnbreakers' next adventures!

thanks netgalley, bindery books, and tiffany wang!

This book was absolutely mesmerizing—I was drawn in from the very first page and couldn't put it down until the end! It's a riveting heist tale where a disillusioned princess allies with a band of rebels to topple her half-brother. What seems like a straightforward plot quickly becomes a labyrinth of twists as hidden truths are gradually uncovered. The characters are wonderfully complex, each with their own murky morals and conflicting motives, making alliances tentative at best. Teia, the protagonist, shines as a compelling anti-hero, with her character evolving in fascinating ways. The magic system, particularly Teia's dual control over fire and water, added an extra layer of intrigue as she deftly wielded her powers to accomplish her aims. All in all, this book was an enthralling adventure from start to finish.

This was a hard one for me to review. It's a fast paced fantasy book and I really flew through the pages. I loved the wordbuilding and mostly the pace. I have to confess I skipped some of the political rants/explanations. I didn't like Teia. I did like her when she was bantering with a certain boy. And I love a found family. The prison breaks where very fun too. And that cover! It's why I had to read this one. And I'm really happy that I got the chance to read it!

This novel was so much fun to read. A four and a half rounded up! The characters were alive and vibrant. The setting was fun and unique and I could see what was happening on each page and it was a fun fantasy story to disappear into. The book has great YA vibes, and I feel like fans of Six of Crows and Faebound would also love this. The writing was easy to follow and get lost in. I found myself turning the page easily and consistently. The characters and setting were a blast to dive into and the magic was fun to learn about. I look forward to learning where the rest of the story goes and where our characters end up. Learning more about the magic system will be much fun as well. I am hoping for another in this world.

Game of Thrones light, its the perfect primer for classic high fantasy.
This book offers a mystical world, political intrigue, magic powers and enough twist and turns to keep young adult and adult entertained.

Inferno's Heir is a unique fantasy novel that takes a spin on the conventional "chosen one-led rebellion against corrupt powers." Presented from the perspective of the half-sister of the corrupt king, Inferno's Heir was a refreshing take on the traditional tropes of high fantasy.

Although I did I enjoy this new perspective, parts of this book fell flat for me. Asides from Teia, the characters didn't feel particularly complex, and the magic system and world building felt brushed aside. This resulted in awkward pacing, and for a majority of this book I considered rating it between 2.5-3 stars. However, Inferno's Heir definitely redeems itself in the last 15% and sets up an exciting hook for the next book (I hope!) Therefore, I give this book 4/5 stars.

05/28/2024-06/02/2024
Rating: 3.5/5

This has a little bit of everything I want in a story: political intrigue, sibling rivalry, heists, found family, romance, banter, plot twists, and betrayal. The pacing was a bit choppy in the beginning, but the storyline began to gain momentum towards the middle and stayed steady until reaching the climax at the end. Some of the writing was a bit juvenile, but it is YA and not too distracting.

Teia is a refreshing character as she’s morally gray and willing to what it takes to get what she wants. When the story reached its climax, I was actually shocked by her decisions since it seemed like she was changing, but I’m excited to see how the story progress in the next book

This is going to be a bit of a tuff review - because while the bulk of it will be critical, by no means is Inferno's Heir that BAD, its just not got much about it which is that GOOD either. Which already sounds off to a very negative start - hopefully one reads this review in the spirit in which it is intended which is just honest and pointing out some potential flaws while also emphasizing that overall the book is fine.

I guess the first critique will start from the end - Inferno's Heir (IH from now on) is very much a 'first book' in a series, which IMO is hard to pull off without some sort of compromise of leaving threads hanging. In the case of IH I felt like the majority of the action, intrigue and tension was saved for the finale. The plot was by no means slow-paced, however it lacked enough tension to keep my eyes glued to the page like the last few scenes did, which had a backfire effect where I thought "couldn't this have happened halfway through THIS book?"

My second beef, was that there simply wasn't enough character development, or more specifically not enough to make each character stand out. The MCs were largely defined by their respective roles, and were often referred to as such (e.g. 'the thief') but I didn't really get much of a sense of any particular traits - really the just of the obvious of they despised the bad-guys and were badass and suspicious of everyone else.

Finally the story-world was very hard to feel grounded in, I double checked the blurb to make sure I hadn't made mistaken assumptions about genre. I genuinely thought it was a fantasy setting, until about the midpoint when someone pulled a gun - and then were were mentions of a 'hotel' - now I'm not some sort of genre/trope purist I love sci-fantasy type settings, but they need sufficient worldbuilding to get a sense of connection with what the characters are doing and going through.

So in conclusion this book is just fine, perhaps moreso than my critiques above, is really just a problem of not having enough SOMETHING to really make the story pop, to really drag one into the tale and keep you reading through. I fully realize that some will love this story if everything in the book vibes with them and that is cool, it also obvious that Wang is super talented, I just have a sense that perhaps this book was pared back a little to make it fit YA? It certainly feels like it could have benefited from more romance and violence which sounds like a very blunt criticism but it certainly would have put more sparks on the page.

Thank you to netgalley and the publisher for the arc of this book. I immediately fell in love with the female main character, Teia. This fantasy book was an easy read and once I started, I could not put it down. This book has politics, found family, morally grey compelling character and unlikely alliances. This book has twists and turns that are very unexpected. This book sucks you in and you do not want it to end. I look forward to reading the next book in this series. Thank you to Kevin Norman for promoting this book and putting it on my radar.

I am loving this novel so far! I have heard amazing things about it and the cover illustrations are beautiful as well. I can’t wait to give my final review/thoughts 🤩

I went into this book with low expectations since this is the authors debut novel and also a fantasy book, I was surprised in a very good way! This fantasy will sweep you to a castle with a horrific prince and her half sister who just does not wants to be left alone, also a rebel group that wants to bring the monarchy down. Teia wants to infiltrate this group and bring them in front of the prince to have a say in her future, but will she be able to do that when she gets to know these people?

The found family in this group is so adorable!!! The relationship of the fmc and her love interest is so cute and their sarcastic banter is just what I love seeing.
The plans within the rebel group are very much impossible to get through with but they still do, but it’s a fantasy book so who really cares😂
It kills me how fantasy books keep hurting you so much at the end of the books. I’m so curious about the next book!!

I have really liked Inferno’s Heir. It was a very fun reading experience, and I found myself skirting my responsibilities to read ‘just one more chapter’ and see how the story moved forward more than one time. Unfortunately, however, the book didn’t fully satisfy me at the end, and I don’t feel comfortable giving it more than 3.5 stars (rounded up to 4 stars on the platforms where half stars are not an option).

The plot was very well thought trough. I found the story gripping and the series of crises faced by the main characters at times surprising. The characters’ motivations and back story are very well woven into the main narrative, and so it was quite easy to understand why they were behaving in a certain way. It is definitely one of those books where you find yourself shouting at several characters multiple times that they are about to make a stupid decision, but also thinking ‘actually, in that situation, I understand why this seems like the only way to go’. This was definitely my favourite part of the book, together with the fact that, as the reader, you are thrown in the depth of the crisis. There’s no nice and tranquil beginning with maybe some foreshadowing, no. The book opens with blood and betrayal and continues from there with political intrigue (which is one of my favourite things in fantasy ever) and an increasingly fast pace. Delicious.

However, it is in the pacing and in the setting that I think Inferno’s Heir falls short, creating an experience that doesn’t fully satisfy:
1. The timing. The story is urgent. Things need to happen fast, and there’s a very real, very concrete looming deadline. Which is great, but I kept on reading time marks that contradicted one another. Basically, if you take how many days it takes the characters to plot, scheme, carry out, and suffer the consequences of their plans, then you land a couple of weeks after the stated deadline. At least, this was my experience, and it was a bit confusing.

2. The ending. The last five chapters could be a book in themselves and there are several points where one or more characters imply that a lot happened outside of the page. I would have appreciated seeing these events as well, as they are quite key for the resolution of the plot / the creation of potential new adventures.

3. The space. This is probably a personal shortcoming, but I would have really appreciated it if the book came with maps. I hope that the final, published version will have them, or that there will be a deluxe version with maps as well. Tiffany Wang has created an amazing, intricate world with its own geography, landmarks, desolated areas, and with bustling and intricate cities and buildings. I would have loved to be able to follow the Teia’s, Alana’s, Jura’s, and everyone else’s moves on a map. Personally, I would live to see maps of:
- The world
- The city
- The palace
- Blackgate

4. Finally, this is without any doubts an extremely well written book, with a very evocative language that helped me empathise with several characters and imagine landscape and scenes, except for melee battles and skirmishes. I understand that melees are messy and chaotic by definition, but I had a hard time follow what was happening, where all the characters were, and who was having the upper hand.

All in all, none of these points has hindered my reading experience. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I have already in mind several friends and family members to whom I will recommend picking it up in October. For myself, I am holding out for a version with maps, and I will definitely pick up a sequel if there will be any. I feel like Teia’s (and everyone else’s) story has just begun, and I do want to see more.

This book is, in my opinion, a pretty funny and simple fantasy story. Given the amount of attention given to the inner workings of Erisia's government, both past and present, it is evident that this work is a political dream. This book flows quickly, and I believe several sections could have used more time. While the first part of the book seemed to drag, the second half of the book concluded very quickly. Additionally, I believe that some of the book's lore was added at the last minute or carelessly. While I realize that we are discovering the twists and turns as Teia is, I believe there is a way to incorporate them into the plot in a way that feels more cohesive. Diverse, funny, and immensely fascinating characters comprise the cast.

I loved this one! If you’ve been missing Six of Crows and want a heist, found family, and a stabby female main character, look no further. This was an incredible debut with adventure and heart, and I can’t wait for the next book in the series!

“Inferno's Heir” is a ya fantasy standalone written by Tiffany Wang, here at her debut. A quick and gripping book characterized by simple and compelling prose. A tale full of political intrigues, power plays, conspiracies, alliances and betrayals, which is not short of really well-written action scenes. The extensive and articulate world building, full of explanations and carefully delineated, intrigued me a lot. The story absorbed me completely with all the plotting and subterfuges that take place, making it hard for me to tear myself away from the pages. I admit that the ending seemed a bit rushed compared to the rest, but overall I still enjoyed the narrative. Teia, the main character, won me over completely! I love morally gray characters and she definitely falls into the category! Complex, troubled and cunning, she gave me so much satisfaction! I also liked the secondary characters, as well as their interactions with Teia!

Thank you to the Publisher and NetGalley for giving me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Tiffany Wang's "Inferno's Heir" is a thrilling adventure that hooks you right from the start and keeps you on the edge of your seat until the very end. The story of Teia Carthan, an outcast princess trying to survive in a world of betrayal and rebellion, is packed with action, intrigue, and complex characters that you can't help but root for.

Teia's journey is both intense and relatable. Her unique ability to control two elements makes her a powerful player in the dangerous game she's caught in. Her initial plan to betray the rebels for her own safety sets up a tense and exciting plot, but things get even more interesting as she starts to connect with them on a deeper level (especially with a certain male handler)!

Wang's world-building is top-notch. The kingdom of Erisia, with its lavish palaces and underlying tensions, feels incredibly real and immersive. The political drama and power struggles are fascinating and add a lot of depth to the story. There were a lot of similarities in both plot and setting from this book and the Six of Crows duololy, with the lower-end of the civilization being referred to as the Slats and in the other the Flats, but also the plot including a great heist. Even with the similarities, this story is entirely unique and I only bring up the parallel because of how fondly I loved the Six of Crows series and was thrilled to find a similar (and notably different!) adventure.

But what really makes this book stand out are the characters. Teia is a standout heroine—tough, complex, and genuinely human. Watching her grow from a survivor focused on her own safety to a leader questioning her morals is both gripping and satisfying. The rebels she meets are also a diverse and interesting group, each adding something special to the story.

Inferno's Heir isn't just a great fantasy novel; it's also a thought-provoking look at loyalty, power, and finding your own path. Wang does a fantastic job of weaving in themes of betrayal and trust, making you think about what's right and wrong along the way. Teia's final choice—whether to destroy the monarchy, claim the throne, or find a new way—will keep you thinking long after you've finished reading.

Overall, Tiffany Wang has created an unforgettable story with "Inferno's Heir." It's packed with exciting twists, emotional moments, and a heroine you can't help but cheer for.!If you love fantasy with high stakes and strong characters, this is definitely a book you don't want to miss. Prepare to be captivated and eager for the next installment!

★ ★ ★ • 3

Solid debut novel with complex world-building, a well thought out plot, and a strong female protagonist. Besides Teia, the main character that was the absolute highlight of the entire book, Inferno’s Heir also has several likable supporting characters.

I did enjoy the book, overall I would say that I have a mostly favorable opinion of it… However there were times when the pacing felt a bit off and (without giving any spoiler away) I was a bit unsatisfied with the ending. Still, I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who’s a fan of works like The Hunger Games and looking for a good new young-adult fantasy.

Was very excited to have a chance to read this ahead of the release, I’d been hearing about it all over Insta. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Thank you Netgalley and Bindery books for this arc! The stunning cover is what first drew me to this book and from the very first page I was hooked.

This book was a 5/5 for me. I thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to the end, boy was I shocked by the plot twist! It was built up from the beginning, but you know when you start to doubt and think surely not now after everything? I thought wrong, and loved it. The ending of this book and the tension involved makes me very excited for what else this world has to offer!

The author did a fantastic job in world building, I got a good grasp of this world without feeling that sense of information overload. I loved the use of elemental powers and the descriptions of use were unlike any other I have read! The writing was beautiful, descriptive and unique. This book was political and highlighted the manipulation of power struggles and how political gain is not black and white. I enjoyed the plot thoroughly, it kept me entertained and engaged throughout the late night and early mornings- I was often sleep deprived yet wanting to read just that one more page!

I loved the characters, I love a story that gives the side characters enough scope for me to fall in love with them. Enna and Kyra were easily favourites of mine, and each character felt unique. I love a book that makes me root for multiple characters. I also loved the banter we got to see between different pairings. Teia was a great main character, I love that she is flawed but still likeable. She is cunning, manipulative and the ultimate player of the long game. I can’t wait to see how she grapples with everything that happened. I feel like I can’t talk about loving characters without mentioning how much I hated Jura. The author did such a great job at making such a hate-able character. Overall, the characters throughout were fleshed out and masterful in their individual roles.

I don’t often give 5/5 ratings but I loved this book and will be recommending it to friends and fellow readers wanting a new ya fantasy read. I will be purchasing a physical copy upon release for sure.

I would give this a 3.5/4 stars. Where it lacked for me was the beginning it made up for as I continued reading. It took a little bit of time for me to get into and to really grab me into the story. Once I got past a certain point I was hooked. This has some elements of politics, alliances and betrayals, a morally gray character, and a twisting plot. I enjoyed the characters and watching them build throughout the story. Their relationships develop so naturally throughout the story and I feel like that flows well. The things that lose me are the mythology or lore I don't know much about so sometimes I get confused or feel like I can't follow completely, that is not the fault of the author I just don't know much lore and haven't done much research. I have been learning a lot recently while reading more fantasy novels. I do feel like this is a very well written YA fantasy novel and I think I would enjoy a re-read very much!

Thank you Netgalley and Kevin Norman for the eArc!

This book is so damn good. I've had quite a few delightful surprise favorites this year, and Inferno's Heir has rightfully earned its place amongst them.

The best quality about this book is definitely the characters, main and side cast alike. Teia is morally gray, but it's very easy to sympathize with her and understand why she is the way she is, despite the morally dubious decisions she makes over the course of the novel (Especially at the end, cuz, man, it really shows how ruthlessly ambitious Teia is). She's also very sarcastic and snarky, which makes excellent chemistry with the rest of the colorful cast of characters. It reminded me so much of Six of Crows with how heavily the story is carried by amazing dialogue and complex dynamics between all these characters (They also break into a prison-twice, even-but that's where the similarities end).

The worldbuilding was also very interesting. I wish there was a map so I could visualize the land better (All fantasy books need maps, dammit), but the descriptors given in test gave enough to understand the baselines of this world. It's highly implied that there will be a sequel at the end, and Teia will be exploring her mom's homeland. As interesting as Erisha was, I cannot wait to experience another country and its culture in this world. The story was also so engaging and had me guessing at every new reveal. I had some ideas in mind that were completely proven wrong, but the reveals that were made only enhanced my enjoyment.

All in al, this was such a great read. I hope the sequel will be so once this book is officially released, because I really want to know what happens next!

This was such a satisfying read - there’s a perfect blend of conflict, betrayal, and romance. Teia is a fantastic main character - she’s morally grey, powerful, and cunning, and from page one I knew I’d love her! There’s a large cast of characters but at no point did I feel like this was overwhelming or that these characters were underdeveloped, but instead are interesting and relatable, with their own fleshed out stories - the Dawnbreakers team of Tobias, Kyra, and Alara had a great dynamic, and I definitely had a soft spot for Enna. I particularly liked the contrast between Kyra’s strong moral compass and Teia’s more underhand dealings.

The pacing was spot on throughout, it keeps you engaged without feeling rushed and maintains that perfect level of tension that keeps you hooked. This is definitely one I’ll want my own physical copy of when it’s published!

A very unique and intriguing world.
The female characters is so great written.
I loved he story and the character development.
I was surprised by the story.

This was a book that was absolutely begging to be devoured, Tiffany Wang, when I say I'm banging down your door for the sequel!

Everything from the compulsive writing to the captivating elemental magic system to the morally grey cast of characters to the high-stakes heist was absolutely enthralling to read. Theia is a character that grips you and simply won't let go until you experience her entire story. The twists and turns in her character development and story arc had me gasping and staying up late to get in "one more chapter," there were definitely so many things that I didn't see coming despite the foreshadowing that had me go "ohhhhhh wait a minute..."

The pacing is done extremely well; its fast but allows readers to settle into a cadence where new information or character actions/outcomes don't feel too breakneck. And I really liked how Wang keeps the events of this book within the city, briefly teasing tidbits of the other countries in her world, before the final cliffhanger reveal in the book's epilogue.

My only grief is that I felt a couple of the character decisions (primarily Kyra) felt a bit forced at times, especially with Kyra's over-enthusiastic commitment to being the most morally just person, a deep contrast to her job as an assassin? A bit confusing, but easily looked over in the overall scheme of a great story. I also wasn't a big fan of how all the female characters had names ending in "-a" (Theia, Kyra, Amina, Enna, Alana), it was a little difficult at times to keep their names straight but again, this didn't impact my enjoyment of the book.

Overall, a fantastic debut and I'm waiting with baited breath for whatever Tiffany Wang writes next.

I enjoyed the book! It took me awhile to get into the book at the beginning, but once the action picked up..the book was hard for me to put down. I absolutely adored Teia!

Teia Carthan is the half-sister of Jura Carthan, a despot and soon-to-be ruler of Erisia. She has survived numerous assassination attempts orchestrated by Jura but if he ascends the throne, there is no place in the Five Kingdoms where she will be safe. However, an uprising against the monarchy by a rebel group called the Dawnbreakers presents Teia a slim chance to secure her future. Will she seize it? Read Inferno’s Heir by Tiffany Wang to find out.

Teia, the central character and the female protagonist, is a cunning, wily creature. She lost her mother at a young age. Her father, unable to cope with the loss of his beloved wife, takes to drinking and follows in her dead mother’s footsteps soon.

“The downside of true love was it really could last forever⁠— and the ones left behind always suffered.”

Forced to endure her despicable half-brother’s cruelty, Teia matures well before her seventeen years of age. She treads the secret passageways of her castle, eavesdrops on conversations, and tucks away little bits of information in her smart brain to be utilized later. Oh, and she has rare control over two elements, which makes her a formidable opponent to Jura.

Her treasure trove of little secrets about the Council members and her powers have helped her to survive the court politics and Jura till now, but if he becomes the king, Teia will no longer be safe.

Amidst all this comes an uprising by the Dawnbreakers. True to their name, they also bring dawn in Teia’s life. She plans to infiltrate the group and hand them over to Jura in exchange for her freedom.

But when she meets them, for the first time in her life, she experiences friendship and genuine connection. She understands what it means to care for another person. The Dawnbreakers make Teia a confident and self-assured person. Even though her control over two elements made her a powerful person, she never imagined fighting against Jura. However, the Dawnbreakers ignite this hope within her.

“And as Teia looked at the people before her⁠—the Poisons Master, the thief, the champion, the rebel⁠— something tugged at her heart. An invisible string, a weeping warmth. A sensation she’d never experienced before, even when her parents were alive. This felt like she had finally come home.”

Each of the motley crew of characters comprising the Dawnbreakers is essential in moving the plot forward.

In addition to three-dimensional characters, Wang has crafted a richly imagined world, and her vividly descriptive writing immersed me in the world of Five Kingdoms. I could clearly visualize the opulent castle, the bustling market, and the heavily guarded, soul-crushing Blackgate prison.

Is a fantasy novel really a fantasy novel without magical creatures? Lo and behold, the Serkawr, which is a fearsome magical sea beast. However, Wang shrouds its origin in mystery and, like any expert storyteller, will likely unravel it in the sequel. But she sprinkled enough breadcrumbs about the Serkawr’s lore to keep me invested throughout the story.

The book isn’t consistently fast-paced, but that didn’t retract from my reading experience. While the unexpected twists and the daring trip(s) to the prison are the highlights of the novel, the lush descriptions put me right next to Teia as she manoeuvered her way through the treacherous world. However, in my humble opinion, the book could have been shorter and could have done away with some of the descriptions.
Inferno’s Heir has left its mark on me. Days after finishing the novel, I am still thinking about the action scenes and the ending. I was hoping what happened at the climax should not come to pass, but well, if it weren’t so, Teia wouldn’t have been true to herself. Moreover, the climax paves the way forward for another action-packed, intriguing sequel. With Inferno’s Heir, I feel Tiffany has barely scratched the surface. There’s so much to know about – a detailed history of the Five Kingdoms, Serkawr’s capabilities, Erisia’s founder etc.

Overall it’s a brilliantly written novel with a captivating world-building and three-dimensional characters, albeit it could have been a tad shorter. Recommended to fellow young adult, fantasy readers.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for an early copy of this book! Below is my honest review.

Rating: 3.75 stars out of 5 stars

Summary of the plot:
Teia Carthan is the princess of Erisia and half-sister to soon-to-be-king Jura. Jura rules the country with an iron fist, often resorting to violent and cruel ways. When Jura announces he's arranging a marriage for her to another man, one who is known to be abusive towards his wives, Teia realizes this marriage will trap her forever in a life she does not want. So she turns to the rebels known as the Dawnbreakers. Her initial intentions was to infiltrate the Dawnbreakers so that she can end up blackmailing them to force them to help her get out of her marriage. However, as she continues to work for them, she realizes that her path forward may to overthrow Jura himself.

Thoughts on the plot:
Overall, I thought this was a well written book. Was it perfect? No. But did I enjoy it? Yes. Considering that this is the author's debut novel, I'm willing to be a little more lenient on my review, though I still have my critiques, which I will talk about in the following paragraphs.

Starting off with the writing/plot: I thought the writing itself was fine. It did not give me "this is my first book!!" vibes, which was great. I will say though that some scenes and problems were too convenient. Aka, things seemed to fall in place pretty easily (which this gave me "this is my first book!!" vibes). I could have used a little bit more conflict, but that's my personal preference.

The world itself could have used a bit more building. There are five elemental magics that people can have. The Carthans (and only the Cathans) have fire. This is important because to determine whether or not someone can take the throne in Erisia, they have to be a Carthan (which is determined by the fire-wielding power). Jura and Teia are the only ones who are supposed to have this power, but they discover someone else who has this power as well (who also happens to be the "champion" of the rebels), so it becomes a political issue.

After Teia is told that the champion may be a spy within the palace, she happens to discover this person very quickly (too quickly IMO) because she notices a servant who is afraid of water. I felt like this was extremely convenient and totally unrealistic. Also, are we to believe that in this world, whatever your magic is, your fear is the opposite of that magic (e.g., your magic is fire, so you're naturally afraid of water)? What happens if you're a fire and water wielding person like Teia?

Also, we don't really get to see any of the elemental magics play out. There are literally 3 magic users in this book and all of them have fire magic. Teia technically has water magic from her mom's side (and we get a quick scene of her mom using magic in a flashback), but she hardly uses it. This is likely to be explored more in book 2, so I'm not too too worried about this. There is also some lore around the 5 elemental magics, which will (again) likely be expanded on in the next book.

In terms of the characters, I didn't feel strongly towards any of them (which isn't necessarily bad). Teia was cunning and quite evil in her own ways (not like Jura though). I didn't really like the champion and thought she would have served a greater purpose. The thief was kind of comedic, so I didn't mind her. Jura was interesting because you got to see how cruel he was. I wish we did get a bit of background on why he is the way that he is. It seems like he was born that way, but who knows? Everyone else, I felt indifferent about.

To talk quickly about romance, there is some romance there. It's a little bit of a slow burn, so no "I love you"s by the end of the book! It took me a while to catch onto the romance though because I thought Teia was LGBTQ+ for no reason.

Overall, I enjoyed this book and would recommend people to read it. Again, my standards are a little low since it is a debut novel and because it is the first book in a series, so take that with a grain of salt.

Fans of The Cruel Prince and Six of Crows will love this character-driven political fantasy from new voice Tiffany Wang! One of the major highlights of this book was the cast of characters. Teia is a genuinely morally gray character driven by her own desires, and she doesn't shy away from this as the book continues. I loved her development throughout the book as Teia came into her power and decided to act upon her ambitions, even if it meant hurting the people around her. The other main characters - Kyra, Alana, Enna and Tobias - were so unique and had their own individual voices and personalities. It's not often that an author is able to flesh out such a range of characters, but Wang did an excellent job creating such a dazzling cast.
The plot was never slow or difficult to understand - it's easy to read, it's fast paced, and it's full of action and suspense. The story really reminded me of Six of Crows with the heists and prison breaks, but the political machinations reminded me of Jude from the Folk of the Air series. The myths and magic system of the world were fleshed out nicely, and I can't wait to see more of this new world in the sequel!
Overall, this book is perfect for fans of political fantasy. There is some light romance, but the real heart of the book lies in Teia's ambition and desire for power. I cannot wait to see what Tiffany Wang writes next! Thank you so much to NetGalley and Bindery Books for the eARC !

i definitely had a lot of expectations with this book and i’m glad to say that it did meet with my expectations ! inferno’s heir is a fantasy novel that is centered on revenge and rebellion and somewhat kind of felt like a heist story to me.

i think what made it so thrilling and interesting is because of the various tropes that i personally really do enjoyed 🙈 just like sibling-rivalry (help i love stories with this dynamic), some banter here and there, and other things ! you might want to try reading this if you love/like political fantasy novels.

teia, the main protagonist, is an anti-hero who joins the rebellion against her own family and kingdom and oH MY !! 😭 it was well written !! i love the vibes this book gave me it’s really worth the hype for me 🫶🏻 it also has romance if you guys are interested in that as well !

overall, a very nice read and you know what? i’ll bump my rating to a 5 star ⭐️ because i realized that this might be one of my favorites now 🫣 thank you so much to NetGalley and for Tiffany Wang for letting have this ARC 👏🏻

This was a great debut novel! YA fantasy with Cruel Prince x Six of Crows vibes.

I enjoyed the world building, plot, and writing, and felt the character development was good.

Some of the relationship development felt a little rushed to me, but honestly that could just be Teia's desperate need/want for a family.

I'm am looking forward to the next book!

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.

Overall, this is a very fun, fast-paced, and well-written book. I really enjoyed the overarching plot and thought the characters and magic system were very strong.

The characters were diverse not only in the traditional sense, but also in terms of personalities, motives, and believability. I think they all fit their own individual roles in the story and played them very well. Everyone had different reasons for being in the situation they were in and even though there was fairly large cast of characters, I never felt like any one character got lost in the plot or pushed aside. Teia was a great morally grey MC and Jura was a very exciting villain. However, there was a lack of emotion and chemistry between some of these characters. I do believe that they all made compelling coworkers and maybe even friends at some points, but I think the romances were a little forced, especially between Teia and Tobias. While I think that they could work together, and the roles they play in the story would eventually create a great romance, I don't think we saw enough bonding or tension between the two for the feelings that Teia was developing to be very realistic. Of course, immediate physical attraction does happen, I think her yearning for him was a bit unearned in this book. I think it would have made more sense to save it for the next book in the series and it should be a bit of a longer slow-burn romance.

While I think that the overarching plot was great and created a very interesting story, there were times were it got a little lost. A morally gray girl trying to subtly and not so subtly fight against her power crazed, psychotic older brother who is soon to become king--will she support the democracy her people are revolting for or put herself on the throne? Amazing basis and very well thought out throughout most of the book. My biggest issue with the plot was that I didn't really realize that the prison breaks were going to be the main focus until about halfway through the book. Honestly, I thought these scenes ended up being pretty weak and wish the author instead focused more of the court politics and the spy ring that Teia was running. This also caused a lot of telling and not showing in the book. We are told time and again that Teia is this great spy and manipulator with a whole network of minions to do her bidding and find out what she needs to know. However we really don't see much of these abilities until the very end. What we do see was very well done and did support everything we been told, so I really think this book would've been so much better if that's what the plot was more focused on.

Other really great aspects of this book was the magic system and the world building. I think any sort of elemental based magic is really fun and it was so realistic that class-levels depended on the powers. For example, only the royal family in Erisia has these fire-bending abilities and the entire system is disrupted when they find that a peasant girl actually has these powers. The little we got to learn of the other kingdoms was also very interesting, and I love how the book ended with the potential to go visit these other kingdoms in the next book.

Because of the weaknesses of the plot, the too much telling and not enough showing, and the lack of emotion/chemistry between characters, I can't give this book much more than 3.5 stars. However, what was done well was very enjoyable, so I think this series has a lot of potential and could become really great.

INFERNO’S HEIR

‘The court thought her a monster, so she gave them one to fear’

In this YA fantasy series-starter, we meet Teia, an ostracised princess, as she struggles to stay alive under the rule of her vile brother Jura. Teia has a plan: she’ll infiltrate the rebels than threaten Jura’s throne, selling them out in exchange for her life. But as she gets to know them, Teia will start to question if the rebels’ ideals are as hopeless as they seem.

When I started this book, I was convinced it was a standalone (second time in a row with a Bindery Books title!), but as the plot progressed I realised it was impossible for it to be resolved in a single 300-page book. Regardless of my initial impression, I did enjoy Inferno’s Heir and I’ll be picking up the sequel as soon as it’s available.

If you’re keen on morally grey characters, found family, humorous banter, political intrigue, heists, secrets and betrayals and mythology, I certainly recommend Inferno’s Heir .

Teia isn’t our usual YA protagonist: she’s the antihero (though not the villain), twisted, traitorous and conniving. If you enjoyed Jude’s ploys in The Cruel Prince, you’ll be sure to like Teia. As the traditional hero, we have starry-eyed, idealistic Kyra, a pleasant opposite to Teia. I was also fond of the other side characters, particularly Enna and Alara. And if you’re wondering if there’s a romance, you’ll be pleased to know our main character and one of the rebels engange in lots of banter and longing glances.

The one character I found lacking was the main villain, Jura. To put it simply, he’s horrid. A text-book example of a psychopath. Most of the time it felt like he was there just to be hated, with no other depth in his vileness than that he can be evil and that fear is a form of subjugation. I don’t mind not empathising with the villain, but I do wish that, in terms of his motivations, we could have seen more.

I’ve seen Inferno’s Heir compared to Six of Crows , and while it does feature some key elements like heists and found family, I felt like it was closer to The Cruel Prince for its political intrigue and to An Ember in the Ashes for its rebel group. Still, if you liked Six of Crows , Inferno’s Heir will be a welcome read.

All in all, Inferno’s Heir is a very bingeable fantasy. I look forward to reading the second book in this series.

**Thank you to NetGalley and Bindery Books for the eARC**

@librisinetenebris on Instagram

This is probably closer to 4.5 stars, but worth the round up. I was instantly captivated by this story. The main character pulled me in immediately and I loved meeting her found family right along with her. Loved that this story revolved around found family, with just a dash of romance.

Teia is a great main character, she has depth and dimension. You watch her struggle with decisions, you get insight into the how and why of her character. She walks a beautiful morally grey line that just made me fall in love with her.

The only bummer is that the twist was slightly predictable. That, and the fact that we have to wait for more of this journey! I can't wait to continue reading!

what a GRIPPING and fun ride! teia is such a fabulous morally grey femail main character, im so grateful she is the lead of this YA book. i wish i had a YA fantasy title like this when i was younger!

Teia has plots to plan. She is a Princess in a Court about to be ruled by a sadistic King.
This book was Game of Thrones with plots, political intrigue, blackmail, and heists.
I loved the way Teia made decisions and thought about things. It made the book more realistic. While some of the plot was predictable it wasn't so overdone to make the book not interesting. The plot is fas paced and it was an easy read.
Very much enjoyed this.

A propulsive debut anchored by a morally gray, sharp-tongued heroine, INFERNO’S HEIR offers everything a reader could want: underground rebellions, palace intrigue, intricate magic, heart-stopping action, a deliciously evil villain, and a found family that won’t soon be forgotten.

Inferno's Heir is a YA fantasy book that follows Princess Teia, who stands in a very vulnerable position in court. Her older half-brother, a psychopath, is about to take the throne and she needs to get leverage, immediately. So she decides to infiltrate a revolutionary group, the Dawnbreakers, to trade their lives for her own life/freedom. However, once she joins up, she finds community unlike she's ever felt before and also starts to consider what would happen if she took the throne for herself.
While Inferno's Heir doesn't have the world's most original plot, it more than makes up for it in the characters department. Teia is a really interesting and morally gray character and watching her development throughout the book is fun. She's really well-done, especially since you can see exactly how she was made into who she is now. Kyra is sweet, Alara is a delightful set of contradictions, and Tobias comes with way more backstory than you can hope for. The only character who is lacking in my opinion is Jura, the villain, who is so evil it's cartoonish.
The world building was very basic, but more in a way that didn't detract from the plot or add to the plot. Based on the ending, I imagine that the fantasy elements will take a greater role in any future books, but for a fantasy book, it's a little light on fantasy. It does have great court intrigue and also two (ish) heists. It's definitely a satisfactory read.

This book started a little slow for me, but by the end, I was hooked. I really liked the court intrigue in this book. There was a lot of politics happening, but also a great amount of action and character growth to work together into something beautiful. If you liked six of crows or prison, healer, you will love this book. Great for ya reads up to adult. No smut.

Thank you to Netgalley for a copy for an honest review.

I really enjoyed reading this and will be picking up a copy as soon it releases. 💕
It was well written and I really enjoyed my time reading it.

Rating 4 Stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Tiffany Wang creates such a vibrant world and does a wonderful job of creating complex characters. While you don't immediately love all of the characters, you still find yourself rooting for them. This was a fun read with some twists and turns.

Thank you NetGalley for the ARC. It was excellent. First, the cover is perfect and professional, and this led me to this book. The writing was simple and eloquent. The author had so many stories and substories that there really was no need to dump information or prolonged descriptions.
The story caught me from the first chapter and the relation of Teia with his brother Jura intrigued me. Then came the background story, slowly but beautifully.
The world building is excellent and I could not put down. I like strong heroines and this one will be remembered. Thanks!

Inferno’s Fire

Princess Teia is called a halfing because her mother was Shaylani. She wields fire like her late father the king and water like her mother. Her half brother is a sadistic prince about to become king and wants to marry her off to a known wife-murderer. Teia will do anything to avoid that fate. Even join the Dawnbreakers, a rebel group trying to overthrow the monarchy.

Teia is like Jude Duarte, she will do ANYTHING to protect herself: murder, blackmail, etc. Plenty of twists and memorable characters, readers will eagerly seek the next volume in this series.

Recommended for Shadow and Bone and Folk of the Air fans!

At the heart of this compelling story is Teia Carthan, a young woman who has learned to navigate a treacherous existence by abandoning her morals in favor of survival. Her character's journey evolves as she plays a spy to upend the political transformation that will constrain her. Her half-brother, Jura, will be crowned king, and He will ensure Teia's miserable existence. Once Jura is crowned, Teia knows her chances of survival will diminish drastically. Her desperate quest for self-preservation drives the narrative, creating a tense and suspenseful atmosphere. The plot escalates as Jura prepares to quash a rebellion to overthrow the monarchy. Teia sees this as a final opportunity to ensure her safety. Her plan to infiltrate and betray the rebels is fraught with danger and moral conflict. However, the story takes an unexpected turn when Teia finds herself not just among the rebels but gaining their trust and friendship. So, who is she working for?

The narrative builds a rich and immersive world to the unfolding drama. The political dynamics and the rebels' contrasting vision of a new order are well-developed, adding depth to the story. The rebels themselves are fleshed-out characters, each contributing to Teia's growing understanding of what is at stake beyond her survival. The author's ability to weave Teia's personal growth with the broader political upheaval makes for a thought-provoking read.

This masterfully crafted fantasy novel combines thrilling action and deep moral self-reflection. A true blend of personal struggle and political intrigue ensures. This story will linger in your mind long after the final page, leaving you wanting more.

I received an Advanced Readers Copy of this ebook in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, NetGalley and Bindery Books

Thank you to NetGalley for an arc-copy of this book.

This book is like a lot of other YA books. There is one scene in particular that reminds me of my favourite band of teenage criminals, the Crows. But even though it's individual aspects aren't unique the way the author made them all come together made it a really fun read. I liked the characters and the found family was a lot of fun. The ending made excited for it's sequel.

I’m not usually one to pick up or enjoy a political intrigue type book. However I did really enjoy this one! Lots of significance on the government both past and present. I like that we learn the twists as our fmc does. The heists are also fun!

This book was weird but in a good way. It was a novel that I read on a plane so it was a quicker read for me.

I decided to request this book after seeing an amazing review about it, and I have to say... wow. It was extremely refreshing to see that the protagonist was not the typical "hero." Instead, we have a secondary character, Kyra, who fits the more traditional hero archetype. The continuous contrast between Kyra and Teia, was interesting.
Teia is far from perfect, but that's what makes her so relatable. I appreciated how she cares for others, even risking everything for her friends. However, she also prioritizes her own future, which added depth to her character.

It's challenging to add something more to explain how much I loved the overall vibe and characters of this book. I mean, I was already sold when I read there would be a heist, and it only got better from there.

Thank you so much to Netgalley and the publisher for giving me the chance to read this eARC in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this fast-paced story! It caught my attention right away and kept me turning pages to see what would happen next. Loved it!

Inferno’s Heir is a fast paced, easy to read fantasy that has heap loads of political intrigue. In the beginning, it reminded me a lot of Avatar the last AirBender. The book has more of a medieval setting while the cartoon is Asian inspired but I couldn’t help but compare the two. I imagined the prince and princess as children of Zuko. Like what if Zuko married Mai out of duty but love blossomed between Katara and him. And so it developed this power struggle in a fire nation where the outcasted princess with both water and fire began.

The nostalgia of a beloved animation may have made me bias but it was a fun read nonetheless. Thank you so much for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.