Countess

Pub Date Sep 10 2024 | Archive Date Not set

Talking about this book? Use #Countess #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A queer, Caribbean, anti-colonial sci-fi novella in which a betrayed captain seeks revenge on the interplanetary empire that subjugated her people for generations.

Virika Sameroo lives in colonized space under the Æerbot Empire, much like her ancestors before her in the British West Indies. After years of working hard to rise through the ranks of the empire’s merchant marine, she’s finally become first lieutenant on an interstellar cargo vessel.

When her captain dies under suspicious circumstances, Virika is arrested for murder and charged with treason despite her lifelong loyalty to the empire. Her conviction and subsequent imprisonment set her on a path of revenge, determined to take down the evil empire that wronged her, all while the fate of her people hangs in the balance.

Virika Sameroo lives in colonized...

Advance Praise

“This is a gripping, intense story of loyalty and betrayal, against a vivid backdrop of an interstellar rebellion through labor solidarity. I can’t wait to see what Palumbo writes next!” — Martha Wells, bestselling author of The Murderbot Diaries and Witch King

“This is a gripping, intense story of loyalty and betrayal, against a vivid backdrop of an interstellar rebellion through labor solidarity. I can’t wait to see what Palumbo writes next!” — Martha...

PRICE CA$21.95 (CAD)
PAGES 150

Send to Kindle (PDF)

This had that scifi feel that I was hoping for from the description and the cover. I enjoyed the revenge element and getting to go on this journey with Virka. It was a great overall feel and enjoyed getting to learn about this world and characters. Suzan Palumbo has a great writing style and can’t wait to read more.

This is exactly what I want from a novella. Ripped my heart out multiple times in under 200 pages. 10/10, no notes.

I love how this novella jumps right into the action. A gender swapped queer space opera retelling of a classic is completely my cup of tea and I was grateful for this advanced reading copy. I love the novella format, the revenge narrative, and would definitely recommend this to others.

I loved the story, the world building and meeting the different characters. I felt completely immersed in the story and couldn't stop reading it.

This book was perfect for me! My favorite book of all time is The Count of Monte Cristo, and this is one of the only books that scratches the same itch for me. Countess has unforgettable characters, a propulsive story centered on revenge and revolution, and it's all set in a sci-fi world.
Often, I find that novellas are too short to pack much of a punch, but this short book hit all of the same emotional points and plot points that a longer book would for me. It's short enough to use in a classroom and discuss so many social issues, which is great for me as a teacher, but also just for me as a reader. This will be a book that I recommend to so many people.