In the Blink of an Eye

A Novel

Pub Date Aug 06 2024 | Archive Date Oct 06 2024

Talking about this book? Use #IntheBlinkofanEye #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLER •  Two detectives: one human, one AI. And a case that will test them both.

WINNER OF THE CRIME WRITERS’ ASSOCIATION’S JOHN CREASEY NEW BLOOD DAGGER AWARD • SHORTLISTED FOR THE THEAKSTON OLD PECULIER CRIME NOVEL OF THE YEAR

Kat Frank knows all about loss. A widowed single mother, Kat is a cop who trusts her intuition, honed through years of on-the-beat police work. Picked to lead a pilot program that has her paired with Lock, an AIDE (Artificially Intelligent Detective Entity)—a hologram that is activated by a device on Kat’s wrist—Kat’s gut reactions about people and motives come up against Lock’s statistical calculations and data analysis that can be devised in seconds.

But as the two missing person’s cold cases they are reviewing suddenly become active, Lock is the only one who can help when the case begins to target Kat personally. AI versus human experience. Logic versus instinct. With lives on the line, can the pair work together to solve the mystery in time?

A dazzling debut from an exciting new voice, In the Blink of an Eye asks us what we think it means to be human.

NOMINATED: Capital Crime’s Overall Crime Book of the Year; Crimefest’s Specsavers Debut Crime Novel Award

PAGES 432

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

An engaging, unique plot with diverse characters. The is the first mystery thriller I’ve read with artificial intelligence and found it to be excellent! This should be a fantastic series with Kat and Lock.

Kat Frank (love the name) is an ace detective in her mid-40s who recently lost her husband. The book picks up 6 months after the loss as she returns to work. She's put in charge of a pilot program, where she's paired with an AI bot named Lock.

I loved the concept of AI helping with investigations but hate that we were teased with Detective Pikachu, I mean, why couldn't Lock be Decective Pikachu for at least one chapter of the book??
Maybe book 2? Please?

Okay, I flew through this book in a single day, I couldn't put it down! The pacing of it was spot on. We were given different POVs, and every character had distinct different personalities. Kat herself was my fave for obvious reasons, and her banter with Lock was very entertaining.

This book made me laugh and cry and kept me engaged and on the edge of my seat until the very end. Before I was even finished, I was looking up the US release date of book 2 and checking the cost to buy it from Waterstones (it's that good).

Thank you Random House and NetGalley for the eARC!

HOW UNIQUE!!!! Is this the way the world is headed? It certainly will make you think, the pros and cons of a computer assisting in these cases. There is no emotion in a robot, no sense of helping people. But the machine can save weeks of work by multiple officers.

A very well put together and entertaining police drama. I highly recommend it.

Two detectives: one human, one AI. And a case that will test them both! Great read! I was pleasantly surprised by this book! I admit I rolled my eyes at the AI references I’m like ugh not for me! But it was nothing like I thought it was going to be! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book! It had great suspense, intriguing, action, murder, mystery, a fantastic who done it great characters and I actually loved the AI character! I highly recommend reading this book! Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for sharing this book with me!

Police detective Kat Frank is keeping it all together after the death of her husband to cancer. She is still grieving him while she works full time and slowly lets go of her 18 year old son who is bound for university.

An opportunity is foisted upon her at work and she is paired with an Artificial Intelligence entity. She wants nothing to do with AI but is determined to make the best of it as she works some cold cases. Cold cases in this sense, however, are missing persons and not all that cold. When Kat and her team discover some threads of the cases that might take them to leads they are quick to move.

What happens next is a thrilling procedural, a glimpse of speculative fiction and a brilliant UK detective story that always includes plenty of personal interest in the police team. I sincerely home this is the first of many of Kat's adventures.
#randomhouse #randomhousetrade #intheblinkofaneye #jocallaghan

I cannot wait to read the next installment of this new AI police procedural novel. Well written, with engaging characters, a fast paced plot, and a unique premise. I read it almost straight through in one day. Highly recommended

Thanks to NetGalley and Random House for an advanced reader copy

This was actually pretty cool for a book about police and AI! Police procedurals and sci-fi both bore me horribly, but this was a really interesting and entertaining book! I loved AIDE Lock as a character, he was incredibly fun to read about. This whole story was a cool twist on the classic crime/police fiction. Nice work!

Thank you to NetGalley for an ARC of In the Blink of an Eye.

I love police procedurals and this one featured a female protagonist, which I'm always on the lookout for, and incorporated AI, a topical theme.

Kat Frank has returned to work after the loss of her husband. She's a good cop, smart and trusts her gut after years of experience. When she's chosen to lead a pilot program that has her paired with Lock, an AI device that the creator hopes will enhance police work, Kat is skeptical, to say the least.

But as Kat and her team investigate two separate cold cases that are linked, Kat, with the help of Lock, discovers there's a serial kidnapper on the loose.

When the next victim is near and dear to Kat, only Lock and his creator can help Kat crack the case. But will it be too late?

Kat is a take no prisoner's kind of woman, having achieved detective status in an sector dominated by men. She makes no apologies for her blunt manner.

I did enjoy Lock as Kat's de facto partner; her uneasiness and unwillingness to accept him (it) as part of her team. And their grudging respect for each other by the end of the narrative.

Their partnership is akin to a sci-fi buddy comedy, and I like how each of them learn from one another.

It's no secret there are pros and cons to AI; they can learn, they can sift through millions of data in the blink of an eye, and make statistical calculations in seconds.

But can they replace work that requires human intelligence, compassion, and gut instinct? Nope.

I love police procedurals and this one hit all the right marks; interviewing potential suspects and witnesses; pounding the pavement to speak to the bereaved and victims' families, sifting through data and discussing possible scenarios and hunches.

Lock's insights and number and data crunching was eye-opening and helped focus the investigation in ways it might not have without his assistance.

I liked Kat's team, capable people who are not afraid to show remorse and humility and admit when they're wrong and aim to do better.

The afterword at the end explains how the book came to be, derived from the author's personal and professional experience which is why the narrative read as empathetic and grounded in tone and style.

I hope this is the first book in the Kat Frank and Lock series.

I loved this book! I'm so glad I took a chance on reading an advance copy of this debut novel of a new author. Not only was it an exciting mystery with a unique AI twist, but it also had great insights into the dynamics of police teamwork. It took me a bit to get into the story, but by the end, I couldn't put it down. The family issues made it much more complex than the typical book, and there were all sorts of ethical issues as well. I highly recommend this book, and I look forward to reading future installments.

Wow! Totally amazing debut! I can’t wait to follow up with Jo Callaghan and watch her hit it big. The characters were so well done. Most of them I loved (especially Kat and Lock) A few made me use lots of profanity and nearly toss my kindle across the room. The twists and turns were constant and oh my word the abundant reveals.
Really a magical book for me.
Thank you NetGalley, Jo Callaghan and Simon and Schuster for the opportunity to read this cracker of a book.

Big fan of police procedurals? Move this book to the top of your list!

After the loss of her husband months earlier, Detective Kat Frank is ready to return to policing. Her son appears to be grieving in a healthy way, so no sense just sitting around the house any longer. Back to work she goes.

On her return, her boss discloses a bold plan. He wants Kat to head up a pilot program with “AIDE.” (Artificially Intelligent Detective Entity) to determine the potential role of AI in detective work. Can AI work more effectively and safely than humans? Let’s find out!

This particular AIDE is named Lock. It can be brought to life, (so to speak) in a holographic form or simply a voice from the monitor she wears.

I actually grew fond of Lock as the storyline progressed. Kat on the other hand, made it known she was no fan of AI, and Lock was more trouble than it was worth. But can a successful AI identity win her over?

I absolutely loved Kat’s character. Newly widowed, and struggling with the realization she will be alone once her son leaves for university. She has her hands full, keeping her personal life together while taking on this project.

Her team of detectives, (the two of them) were distinctively different personalities, adding so much more flavor to the story. I adored them both and can’t wait to see where the author takes this team. This appears to be book one of a new series and I'm already searching for the next!

Make sure to read the author’s beautifully written acknowledgment. Thank you for sharing such a personal piece of your heart with your readers.💜

Thank you to NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group - Random House

Jo Callaghan has written the most amazing novel, In the Blink of an Eye.
Where police need to test out a new AI named Lock that learns to be more human, while the police officers learn to trust AI Lock’s intelligence.
Bringing them together through the kidnapping of young adults and working through their different styles of gathering information.
Cleverly written, had me invested quickly, and kept me enthralled all the way through.
#IntheBlinkofanEye
#JoCallaghan
#NetGalley

In the Blink of an Eye is the debut crime novel by Jo Callaghan. DCS Kat Frank is tasked with testing out Lock, a new AI "personality" in a newly formed task force looking into cold case.

Kat knows all about loss. A widowed single mother, Kat is a cop who trusts her intuition, honed through years of on-the-beat police work. Picked to lead a pilot program that has her paired with Lock, an AIDE (Artificially Intelligent Detective Entity)—a hologram that is activated by a device on Kat’s wrist—Kat’s gut reactions about people and motives come up against Lock’s statistical calculations and data analysis that can be devised in seconds.

The book includes suspense, mystery, murder, and good, relatable characters. I like Kat as a character. She's a good cop and mother. Kat and her team will make a good series.

In the Blink of an Eye is a good police procedural with sci-fi elements. I would recommend this book and this author. I look forward to reading more.

#IntheBlinkofanEye #NetGalley @randomhouse