Film Camera Zen

A Guide to Finding the Perfect Film Camera

Pub Date Nov 12 2024 | Archive Date Nov 12 2024
Chronicle Books | Chronicle Chroma

Talking about this book? Use #FilmCameraZen #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

The must-have guide for any camera collector, avid film photographer, or novice creative seeking advice on what camera to choose and how to get started purchasing and collecting.

Film Camera Zen is a carefully curated guidebook by Bellamy Hunt, the founder of Japan Camera Hunter and sought-after expert in all types of analog cameras and their histories. From European brands such as Leica and Hasselblad to Japanese makers Nikon, Canon, Pentax, and Minolta, Hunt provides all the technical knowledge needed to enable the best purchase, including:

• Technical capabilities
  • Focus options
  • Compatible lenses
  • Accessories

Like vinyl records and vintage watches, film cameras have captured the imagination of a new generation who are rediscovering them as collectibles and as an alternative to camera phones. The beauty of the cameras themselves, acquiring the skill to use them, and the photographic results offer a uniquely rewarding experience in the digital age. Film Camera Zen is the perfect guide for getting started and enjoying the process of learning, acquiring, and mastering the classic analog camera.

Film Camera Zen is a...

EDITION Hardcover
PAGES 208

Film Camera Zen is a beautiful book full of interesting information. If you have ever owned a film camera, use a film camera or are just wanting to learn about the cameras out there, this book will have something to interest you. The photography is fabulous (obviously!) and even though some of the information is technical camera talk it is well written and interesting.

Picked this book from NetGalley because I’ve been a photographer (primarily film) for 20 years and I was interested in hearing what someone similar would have to say. I really enjoyed the author’s take on all this great gear! How fun to see some of my own cameras in the pages of this book. If you’re interested in learning about some great vintage and classic photography gear, this is definitely your starting point. I love the great high level overviews!

I am a professional videographer but want a film camera for my photograph hobby. I am used to using Sony cameras and Canon lenses, but I love the opinion to look at all different types of cameras (even ones I have never heard of). I love the picture of each camera provided, but I would have liked to see more photos taken by the camera itself, like scenics. I like the description but I do wish it was a little more condensed. Still, a great guide to film cameras.

What an interesting and educational read! The author, Bellamy Hunt (aka Japan Camera Hunter, JCH) has scoured the planet seeking out hundreds of makes and models of cameras and given them a test run. In this book, he showcases many of his favorites, providing insightful technical feedback and fun historical facts for each.

Whether your a professional photographer, a budding shutterbug or a discerning gadget gearhead, if you love cameras, you'll love this book!

Nice description of different models of film cameras. Good reference guide with lovely pictures. If I needed a film camera I feel this guide would be valuable.

I love cameras. I'm always on the hunt for the next best camera for my aesthetic. And they all are different. Film Camera Zen is a compendium of cameras that are not just visually stunning product pics but detailed information about the camera. It's a great guide for photographers searching for a vintage or contemporary camera to add to their collection. From the novice to expert, this book will be a great table book to share with others.