Plants for the Winter Garden

Perennials, Grasses, Shrubs, and Trees to Add Interest in the Cold and Snow

Pub Date Nov 05 2024 | Archive Date Nov 05 2024

Talking about this book? Use #PlantsfortheWinterGarden #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

A comprehensive reference to plants that stay beautiful in the winter garden, with design and planting concepts for prolonged wintry conditions.

Plants for the Winter Garden extends the possibilities for the cold-climate gardener. Though most plants may go dormant in wintry months, there are many inspiring cultivars and varieties that hold their interest through the cold and snow, including brightly colored twigs, buds, and berries, dazzling winter flowers and dried seed pods, and elegant shadow-making plant forms. Plantsman Warren Leach shares expertise and techniques perfected over thirty years of gardening in frigid eastern Massachusetts, including:
  • Incorporating structural elements like stone walls, paths, and hardy containers that keep gardens intriguing when covered with snow;
  • Accentuating plant shapes which hold their form year-round;
  • Siting and pruning evergreens for maximum effect;
  • Showcasing trees with textured or colorful bark that stands out in gray months, and more.
Plants for the Winter Garden provides invaluable insight that will make every garden hold its interest throughout the season.

Plants for the Winter Garden extends the possibilities...

PAGES 256

This book is a great book for anyone interested in hardy plants for the winter. Being a New York native and currently living in Colorado, I am no stranger to harsh winters. This book is very informative and provides not only in depth details but beautiful supporting pictures as well. I appreciate the several shrubs and trees mentioned, along with tips for their maintenence and protection throughout the year. It's very helpful and insightful, and I plan on incorporating some more resilient plants into my landscaping.

Thank you NetGalley and Timber Press for this informative reference book.

“An enthusiastic embrace of the winter season” is a theme woven throughout this book. Exquisite winter photos are featured throughout, showing you what might have been in your garden had you given it some thought.

I will be thinking long and hard about the ideas in Plants for Winter Garden. I learned about marcescent winter foliage and using bark to add cold weather interest.

The Gestalt of Groves was a particularly interesting chapter. So many design ideas were presented in an approachable way. Forms, fruits and blooms for the winter made me consider how to use these elements in a creative way.

If you are wanting to up your winter gardening game, this is the book for you.

This is a beautifully illustrated garden book. I got all kinds of ideas, though it wasn’t always easy to tell which plants would work in my zone 4 garden. I try to plant mostly plants that are native to Minnesota and that adds another level of trickiness but I still love the book.

I read a temporary digital review copy of this book via NetGalley.

A much needed dive in to the seasonal winter gardening, my winters can vary greatly in temperature as apposed to the rest of the states so I was elated to find another New England minded gardener to get suggestions from! Warrens tone was easy to read along with and I feel like I have all the information I need to expand my winter garden! Thanks for access to this great ARC Netgalley and Timber Press! Thanks to this title I will be able to complete scape my space in to a whimsy winter space.

Winter gardens often go unnoticed. This book enlightens us on winter garden plants and the methods of planting for winter. I suggest this book to all gardening enthusiasts.