Teeny's Tour of Pie

A Cookbook

Pub Date 25 Mar 2014 | Archive Date 01 Jul 2014

Teeny Lamothe is a young woman on a mission—and the mission is pie. Charming, passionate, determined, Teeny traveled America to work with the country's best bakers and learn their techniques, tricks, and wisdom. Now she shares the fruits of her apprenticeship—the crumbs and crusts of her crusade—in Teeny’s Tour of Pie, a delectable journey into total pie immersion.

Here are more than 55 pies, sweet and savory, plus a complete crust primer, and all of it seasoned throughout with Teeny’s humor and inspiration. There are fruit pies: Strawberry Rhubarb Pie, Lemony Blueberry Crumb Pie, Rosemary-Infused Caramel Apple Pie. Cream pies: Zested Lime Curd Pie, French Silk Pie. Traditional pies—Sweet Potato Pie, Shoofly Pie, Chess Pie—and unexpected pies—Peanut Butter Brownie Pie with a Pretzel Crust, Bourbon Bacon Pecan Pie. And savory pies, too, like Thanksgiving Dinner Pie with a Stuffing Crumble. Teeny is a gifted baker and writer who demystifies every step. She explains why to add vodka to the pie crust; what to do when the dough is sticky or tears; how to cut and weave a lattice topping. There are the 5 Commandments of Crust and more than 10 no-fail crust recipes, even including one gluten-free. Plus she shows how to make “teeny” pies—her specialty, using a 5-inch pie pan—from the recipes.

Teeny’s Tour of Pie captures both the timeless, homespun appeal of pie and its very timely popularity, right down to the “bakery box” cover with its embossed “string,” flaps, and spot-laminated “tape.” Includes profiles of pie-makers, personal stories, and gorgeous full-color beauty shots and step-by-step photographs.

Title: Teeny's Tour Of Pie - A Cookbook Author: Teeny Lamothe Published: 3-25-14 Publisher: Workman Publishing Company Pages: 288 Genre: Cooking; Food & Wine Sub Genre: Baking; Pies; Cookbooks; ISBN: 9780761173366 ASIN: B00GU2RG6S Reviewer: DelAnne Reviewed For: NetGalley My Rating: 5 Stars . I want to thank Teeny for taking that ear off to learn the techniques and recipes from her various stops along the way, Nine in total as her final stop was her mother's home, saving the best for last I'm sure. For a woman who has loved pies and making them from an early age to sharing that love and experience with others. The book starts out with a great discussion of equipment required from Pie pans, pastry mixers to crust covers she leaves nothing out. Off to chapter two to discuss crust in its various forms and ways to achieve flakier crusts and how to make a few substitutes to bring forth the best pie possible. Then off to the pies. Teeny is a firm believer in using fresh ingredients is always best and has placed her next few chapters to break the pies down into the seasons. She has also included recipes for savory pies. I need to urge you to give the different toppings a good look at. We like homemade pot pies in my family and she has a pie that has a stuffing top instead of a crust stopping. One thing we both have done is add seasoning to or crust on savory pies. I like to use broths in my crust as well to add flavor. There are so many different pies to indulge in, Pumpkin, ham and apple, peanut butter brownie and even Bourbon bacon pecan pie ( I do not care for liquor but found this one a delicious pie to tease your taste buds with. Teeny Lamothe tells of her adventures on her tour that keep you reading just to see what she had to do to accomplish her dream. You will find yourself reaching for this book often. Instructions on how to correct some problem crust, how to make mini individual pies and how to freeze to serve at a later date. It has something for everyone. My rating is 5 out of 5 stars. Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GU2RG6S/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0 Barnes and Noble link: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/teenys-tour-of-pie-teeny-lamothe/1116405472?ean=9780761173366 GoodReads link: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22840769-teeny-s-tour-of-pie The Reading Room link: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=717279218413572&id=165170576957775