Out of It

Pub Date 17 Sep 2014 | Archive Date 12 Apr 2015
James Lorimer & Company, Lorimer Children & Teens

Suri and Lacey have been best friends since kindergarten. Suri, the photographer, has always been the safe, responsible one, afraid to take risks. Now that the pair is in high school, she's afraid that her more outgoing and adventurous friend will outgrow her.

Then Lacey's wild, risk-taking personality leads her down a dangerous path—and Suri is afraid of losing her for real. But if she chases Lacey down that same path of drinking, partying, hooking up with older guys, and drugs, will Suri be able to save her friend—or herself?

I have read many, many books published by James Lorimer & Company and they have all been great reads. The Sidestreets series publishes wonderful books featuring YA and current social issues that are always spot on and Out of It is another example of how incredibly important it is to print these types of books in today's world. Author Kadarusman writes about two best friends that share everything until one of them decides to explore her inner demons by drinking, doing drugs and getting herself into a situation that she cannot get herself out of. The characters of Lacey and Suri are actually very well fleshed out, considering how short this book is. I found the story compelling and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough to find out what happens to both of them. I liked that this is not your typical "mean girl" story, in fact the direction the author chose to take with this friendship was refreshing and honest. I found myself rooting for both of these girls who each have their demons to fight. I also loved the fact that the love story (of sorts) is NOT the main focus of this book, but rather its about two young girls who find out that they are truly there for each other no matter what. Loved it.

Suri and Lacey have been best friends most of their lives. Now in High School, the girls are being led into separate directions by their differing personalities. Kadarusman writes two well-rounded characters in this short novel. Suri is shy, guarded, and inexperienced while Lacey is outgoing, experimental, and strong. Out of It is an easy read and moves along at a satisfying pace as it covers relevant issues such as drugs, sexuality, assault, and peer pressure. Kadarusman illustrates the importance of looking beyond a person's actions and asks readers to evaluate the meaning of true friendship.