Home Alone

The Classic Illustrated Storybook

Pub Date 06 Oct 2015 | Archive Date 13 Dec 2015

The beloved, classic Christmas movie is now an illustrated storybook for readers of all ages!

With an amusing read-aloud story and enchanting, immersive illustrations, this charming adaptation is the perfect nostalgic gift alongside family holiday classics like The Polar Express and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Eight-year-old Kevin McCallister wished his family would disappear. He never thought his wish would come true! Can he keep a couple of crooks from entering his house? And will his family return in time for Christmas? Complete with bumbling burglars, brilliant booby traps, and a heartwarming happy ending, this picture book is perfect for movie fans, parents, and any kid who’s ever dreamed of being home alone.

Send to Kindle (PDF)

With all the magic and mischief of the movie, this book bring Kevin to life for another generation to love. I saw this film in theaters 25 years ago and it's still great!

Home Alone is a family favorite film in our house and my kids were excited to see this book version! They asked me to buy them a copy for Christmas! Great interpretation, cute pictures! Should be a hit!

For longtime fans of the movie, this book is a gem. Fun for adults and children, my son and I enjoyed seeing the adventures of Kevin McAllister and the Wet Bandits play out on the written page through fun illustrations. Being able to relive a classic film and a staple in our Christmas movie line-up in a new medium was a true delight.

The graphics are great and the characters look exactly the film. This has been added to the cart for purchase at my library.

The Story: After being sent to bed early for naughtiness, young Kevin McCallister wishes that his family would disappear. Lo and behold, the house is empty when he wakes up the next morning. At first, being home alone is all fun and games, but soon Kevin realizes that he must assume the responsibilities of running the house. Which means grocery shopping, decorating, doing laundry, getting himself to church for the Christmas Eve service....and protecting his home from burglars?

Thoughts: I think most people have at least heard of this famous film, even if they haven't seen it for themselves. The movie first appeared in theaters 25 years ago, can you believe it? That makes it as old as me! Over the years, it has become a staple of the Christmas season. Decorate a tree, sing carols, buy gifts, watch Home Alone. The very fact that it is synonymous with Christmas attests to its popularity.

Now, for those fans wishing to relive the story all over again or looking for a way to introduce the tale to their children, author Kim Smith brings the magic of the movie to life in an easy-to-read picture book. The book is short and sweet, focusing exclusively on Kevin's side of the story. The artwork is bright and gorgeous, the imagery sure to suck readers straight into Kevin's world. And the meat of the story is still there, if toned down a bit for younger readers. What I love about this story is that it is so accessible. I mean, let's be real. Watching Home Alone for the first time can be straight-up scary (that furnace scene, anyone?)! The picture book is tamer, but I never felt like I was missing out on the story.

All in all, this is a great, faithful adaptation that will be great at introducing younger children to the famous film. I can definitely see it becoming a seasonal staple, along with titles like The Polar Express and The Night Before Christmas. Very nicely done.

I loved this as much as the movies! Thank you so much for giving me this opportunity!!

The movie has so much action, I knew that it would have to be pared down a lot for a picture book, so I was prepared. It is very simplified here, but I enjoyed it! Kevin wishes his family would disappear...and wakes up to find that they have! Having the whole house to himself, he amuses himself as any kid would, but then overhears the burglars' plan to break in the next day. He prepares for a Christmas alone, befriends the neighbor next door, and sets his booby traps. Naturally he misses his family and his only Christmas wish is to have them back again...and when he wakes up, they're home!

I did thoroughly enjoy the illustrations - I loved the bright colors and recognizable characters and overall sense of fun they portrayed.

Having seen the movie many times, I do wonder how those unfamiliar with it would like this book. It does have a theme every child can relate to - sometimes we all wish our families would leave us alone! And of course when they're gone, we all miss them. :-)