Frightlopedia

An Encyclopedia of Everything Scary, Creepy, and Spine-Chilling, from Arachnids to Zombies

Pub Date 23 Aug 2016 | Archive Date 23 Aug 2016

A deliciously creepy book for kids who love ghost stories, monsters, spiders, and more!

Combining fact, fiction, and hands-on activities, Frightlopedia is an illustrated A-Z collection of some of the world’s most frightening places, scariest stories, and gruesomest creatures, both real and imagined. Discover Borneo’s Gomantong Cave, where literally millions of bats, cockroaches, spiders, and rats coexist—in pitch darkness. Learn about mythical creatures like the Mongolian Death Worm—and scarily real ones like killer bees, which were accidentally created by scientists in the 1950s. Visit New Orleans’s Beauregard-Keyes house, where Civil War soldiers are said to still clash in the front hall. Plus ghost stories from around the world, a cross-cultural study of vampires, and how to transform into a zombie with makeup. Each entry includes a “Fright Meter” measurement from 1 to 3, because while being scared is fun, everyone has their limit.

A 2017 YALSA Quick Pick for Reluctant Readers.

This is a fun book that kids, especially boys, will love. It tells about scary things, scary places and includes scary stories from around the world from A to Z. I can just hear my grandson sharing some of these stories around the fire-pit. Are you afraid of spiders? claustrophobic? Have you ever seen a ghost? Do you believe ghosts exist? The section about ghosts, ghost hunting and famous ghosts was quite interesting and with all the shows about ghosts and ghost hunting on television it is sure to interest the reader. The Island of the Dolls just plain freaked me out. There is so much to learn about and to freak out a reader. Are the killer bees coming? Watch out for the Flesh eating plant? Have you ever participated in a seance or used a Oujia board? I love the Horrifying How-Tos? Kids will love to try some of these ideas. So many more things in this book. I recommend this book to school and public libraries. What a great way to get reluctant readers hooked on reading.

Love the introduction! The description and similes such as "like a piece of wet spaghetti" are brilliant and I know my year five class would love them. Clear explanation of how the book is set out with diagrams and different fonts to keep reader interested. The whole book is beautifully decorated and the topics are so vast, I can see myself taking information and adding it to my lessons to keep the class engaged. I love the drawings and the fact that the page is divided into sections so it is easy to navigate. The chatty tone of the book makes it easy to read and lively. I particularly like the 'horrible how-to' sections which encourages children to get up and do something! A great book for parents to buy children for the summer holidays to encourage them to set up investigations (my favourite is the evil scientist jars). A great section to read after you have visited the Hunterian museum in Holborn! I know the boys in my class will love this book and I will be making an order when it is published. I give books as prizes once a month and it is difficult to find books that the children haven't already got/read. This would make a fantastic prize for them. They will love the interesting facts, the drawings, the gruesome photographs. The next 'Horrible Histories'. Thank you for the chance to read this incredible book early!

Frightlopedia is an encyclopedia about not only ghosts, haunted houses, monsters and mummies, but also about killer bees, rats, sharks, UFOs, catacombs, flesh eating plants, and more. Each entry has a score from 1 to 3 in the "fright meter" to let you know how scary it is, so you can decide if you want to read it, or maybe just skip it. So while the fear of being buried alive is a 3, fake wounds are only a 1. The approach of the author is that it's fun to be a little scared when we know you are not truly in danger, but being too scary is not funny at all, and it is also unnecessary. The text is also humorous, making the whole experience less scary. At the same time we tend to be less scared of things when we know more about them, and understand better when a fear is actually unreasonable, and also how we can avoid situations that are potentially dangerous. The book is thoroughly illustrated, and it counts with "Horrifying how-tos", which are little projects like make the house look haunted, paint a vampire bite in your neck, or write your own ghost story. Age range: Although the writing can be perfectly understood by a 8 years old kid, it also depends on how easily the kid gets scared. In the overall I would say that the goal of the book is not to terrify the reader, and most of the kids won't. But I understand parents should asses if their kids might find it enjoyable or not. I read many entries with my 8 years old daughter, and she found the book amusing.

Ten Second Synopsis: An easy-to-read collection of a diverse range of scary stuff. From vampires and zombies to bizarre burial practices and creepy insects, Frightlopedia has you covered if you are in the mood for learning about things that go bump (or slither or boo) in the night. This is actually a really well put-together, informative and fun non fiction text. Far from being a "kid's book", I found myself drawn in to some of the interesting entries, such the monastery whose crypt contains the perfect conditions to naturally mummify corpses so tourists can wander through and have a look. There are cryptids, bizarre buildings, deathly illnesses and nasty humans to explore and learn about and it's all set out in an enticing format. Entries are organised alphabetically and there are plenty of absorbingly creepy topics to get one's teeth into. Each topic is addressed in one to two pages, accompanied by illustrations or photographs, and some topics even include an activity for kids to complete so that the frights keep on coming. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this book and would highly recommend it to the fan of frightful happenings of your acquaintance. It would make a fantastic gift book or the perfect tool to quieten kids down in the classroom!

Frightlopedia is the perfect book for young readers who love a little thrill! A nice feature is that its not all monsters and ghosts, it also includes information about poisonous or harmful trees and animals which may appeal to a broader set of readers, it had a nice mixture of fiction and non-fiction. I love that the book included little tid-bits of information and the "Horrifying How To" activities for children to create and explore. This is definitely a wonderful addition for any class or home library.

A kid-friendly and age-appropriate guide to all that is scary in the world, real and imagined.