Weregirl

Pub Date 01 Nov 2016 | Archive Date 30 Sep 2018

Eager to escape the small town of Tether, Michigan, once home to 90s corporate polluter Dutch Chemical, high school junior Nessa Kurland is focused on winning a college scholarship for cross-country running. Motivated to improve her times, she fits running into her busy schedule between school, helping out at home, and a weekend job at a vet's office. One night she is out on a stealth training run when she comes across a trapped wolf. Trusting her animal skills from working for the vet, Nessa tries to free the animal but is bitten badly instead. The first clue that something has changed is her freakishly quick recovery. A wound that should take weeks to heal is gone in days. Other changes, both powerful and frightening, begin to emerge. She can hear conversations a quarter of a mile away and smell the cold weather coming. Finally, one day, she is transformed into a full werewolf. In this state, she begins to see and understand things about Tether that powerful people want to keep hidden. What is a Nobel laureate doing working one day per week in a small-town medical clinic? Is the interest from some top college track scouts genuine or a ruse to get her off the scent? Managing her power drastically alters the course of her daily life. The question is what will Nessa do with the secrets she learns, and what will others do once they realize what she knows? Now Nessa must navigate the social, romantic, and academic challenges of junior year while coming face to face with true human darkness, all while she tries to make peace with her new, wild nature.

A Note From the Publisher

AUGUST 4 2016 UPDATE: The FULL e-book of the highly anticipated forthcoming YA thriller, WEREGIRL, is now live on NetGalley! Note that if you previously downloaded WEREGIRL, you may need to "re-load"/refresh your device to get the full book, as a partial sneak preview file was previously uploaded.

Marketing Plan

Weregirl expands Chooseco's publisher identity from its focus on relaunching the Choose Your Own Adventure series. This new teen novel is a complete departure: no second person narrator, no choices.
-Marketing and PR plan including $10,000 ad budget-See our booth #1730 at the BEA- visit www.weregirl.com

...

EDITION Hardcover
ISBN 9781937133559

I can't wait to read the full novel! This sounds like a great book and the first few chapters are intriguing.

From the preview that I received, I have (very) high hopes for this book. With that said, let me start at the beginning. When reading the prologue, I was a bit confused at first on how it connected to Nessa. But after finishing the final chapter I received, I think I can tell how it connects (or at least have an idea). The last chapter given has me wanting so much more! I'm dying to know who the trapped wolf is and where Cynthia went. I am also secretly hoping there might be romance between Nessa and Cassian! Even though they haven't interacted yet, I still think they would make a great couple, but I have to wait and see what Cassian's personality is like (I'm secretly wishing that I will like Cassian!). I have read a lot of werewolf stories online from sites like Wattpad, and I have yet to come across any story similar to this. It's quite refreshing! The chapters received are fast-paced, intriguing, and very original. I'm excited to see where C. D. Bell takes the rest of the book! I definitely recommend this book!

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. i like fantasy novels involving werewolves and the like when they aren’t too cheesy or cliche - yes, I know…But Meredith, aren’t all werewolf novels cliche? Well, in short, no. A good fantasy based on the werewolf myth is exactly that - based on the myth. But not like every single other story out there - with the author’s own twist to the story. I also really loved that while, yes, she’s a teenage girl who notices the boys in her school, thats not her focus.. She’s beyond set on going to college, one way or another (she’s so smart). And on top of that - she works at the local vet clinic!! Basically living the life I wish I had in high school.. Her character is really strong and independent. Then, as she works on her way to college, she gets something she never bargained for when she was making all her plans - isn’t that the way it always happens? Her life completely changes from there, obviously, and I think this series will get really good!

I didn't realise when I downloaded this title that this was a sampler rather than a full book, so my review is only based on the portion I read. So far, what has really wowed me about this book is the writing quality. C.D. Bell writes gorgeous prose, which is something unfortunately not often seen in Paranormal book. I also found the characters engaging and fresh. I'm definitely looking forward to reading the rest of the book. Since so much is left unresolved at the point I'm at, I'm not really sure how to give a rating -- it could either resolve perfectly or not well at all! But based on what I've read, I'd definitely love to read more!

I really enjoyed this excerpt and can't wait for more.

Ahhh,this is so good! Now I have to wait till November for the full book. These few chapters are very good.I can't wait for the full glory!

Weregirl is interesting, pulls the reader in and then IT JUST STOPS. Nessa wants out of her small town and if she can accomplish this by winning a college scholarship for cross country, then she is going to put all she has into it. So, as the reader off you go with this character as she runs her way to college or maybe that would have been in her future if she hadn't stopped to help a trapped wolf, then was attacked by another wolf, then started to sprout little white dog hairs all over, then got perfect vision, then got bionic hearing and was freaking out every animal she comes across. I like Weregirl because I want to know what's going on. I need to know what's so special about the heroine? Would like to know what's going with a couple of the other kids at her school? Did one of them bite her? Is there a love interest or is she going to be a superhero ass kicker? What about the environmental issues? Do they play a part in this or any of the other research stuff? Definite cliffhanger. Wasn't expecting the book to end when it did but I am looking forward to see where the author takes the story.

My first impressions of Weregirl, from the 16 chapter sample, are very positive. The writing is very clear and clean and I connected with all the characters. I have read a LOT of werewolf books, so the symptoms the main character experience leading up to her first change aren't completely novel, but they are very well done. What *is* novel, for me at least, is the rest of the story. I like the idea that the town is suffering from chemical poisoning from a large corporation, and I wonder if that will come into play in the main story, along with the curious history of the doctor who cares for the affected children. I like the ambiguous interactions with two of the other high-school students; it makes me wonder if they aren't also werewolves or at least know about the wolves. I want to know who the wolf is who was caught in the trap and who it was that attacked the protagonist. I'm also VERY curious about what is going to happen next, past the part where the sample stops. The protagonist consults a shaman who tells her she was chosen by the wolves, but chosen for WHAT? What is the purpose for the protagonist becoming a werewolf and how does this relate to the prologue in the book? I really like the characters and relationships. I love the loyalty of the protagonist's best friend and the hints that her autistic brother may be more observant than she originally believed. I'm very curious to see what becomes of the relationships with the other high-school students as well. I really enjoyed this sample and, based on what I've read so far, highly recommend it to fans of supernatural YA. I'm not a huge fan of most YA, but I found myself captivated by the story. I can't wait to get my hands on the full novel!

So far, so good, this "sneak peek definitely wants the reader to find out more about Nessa and how her transformation from high school cross country runner to a werewolf will challenge her in every way.

I loved this book. I like paranormal characters and Weregirl will be added to the top of my favorite books log.

Very interesting sneak peek! I look forward to reading the entire book!

When I first requested 'Weregirl' by C. D. Bell on NetGalley, I wasn't aware that it was just a preview containing the first four chapters of the book. The story sees high school girl Nessa trying to escape her hometown by getting a college scholarship through cross country running. During one of her runs in the woods she gets bitten by a wolf and soon after, she realises that her body is starting to change. It is hard to judge a book by just four chapters, but it is certainly a good start to a promising book. Looking forward to reading the rest!

In short, a young girl who is aiming to get a college running scholarship is bitten by a wolf during a night run. This triggers a slow onset of lycanthropy which is accompanied by the usual warning signs of disturbing dreams, enhanced physical prowess and an ongoing episode of hair-raising, hair-raising. The preview to this story ends just as she has aced a race, running full pelt, whilst being dolled up like a ninja to stop her follicularly enhanced form making it's presence felt before her peers. This leads to a visit to a medicine man/shaman who warns her of the challenges ahead and the need to remain pure. End of preview!! My first impression (and an ongoing impression at times throughout this book) was that this story was going to be like biting into an already well bitten steak. The storyline brushes up against the fur of so many other Wolfish tales that "Teen Wolf", "Wolf" and even "Twilight" leapt to mind; and whilst I'm not a big werewolf fan I did wonder if there were lots of other popular references, allusions and similarities to other tales in this genre. So, what do we have here? A novel novel, or a sheep in wolf's clothing? I go for the former. Firstly, how many ways are there to skin a werewolf? Unless you're going to opt to write about 'Werewolf Lesbian Ninja's from The Forbidden Planet' it's pretty hard to inject new blood into what is a very old and long in the tooth mythology. Secondly I really like the story (with reservations.) I will omit further mention of typo's and other such errors as the publisher was clear that what was being reviewed was an early draft, but, let me just say that I hope that the numerous ones are corrected. What I think is worth mentioning is the writing more broadly, which does contain at times confusing sentences and paragraphs with unclear demarcation of when the person doing or saying something changes. Also the use of exposition in speech was a little overworked early on in my opinion and this was all a little bit distracting, as was giving us facts in a 'show-offy' kinda way- "Asperger's is no longer a diagnosis"- that kinda thing. ( Fine if you follow DSM-V; us ICD-10'ers still use the phrase and diagnosis!) I also struggled to get a clear image of Nessa in my head early on, and a bit more description, just a bit, of the main character would have been good. Okay the good bits- because there was a lot for me to get my teeth into. I liked the backstory and really identified with Nessa, having a number of things in common with her. (No, I was never bitten by a wolf; and no, I only wish my 5k time was that good at that age!) Even though the werewolf tale has assumed the form of a cliche I really enjoyed the flow of the story which was developed patiently, and after being bitten, the suspense was allowed to fester and spread like a virus, so that by the time I got to the end of the preview I was really left wanting to be inoculated by the second half of the book. Does she get her scholarship, how does she cope with her new form and what problems will this cause? In addition the Shaman she meets at the end hints at her being chosen for a reason....'oh that sounds interesting,' I thought. Overall, well done. I do realise I am only offering up my congratulations 3 courses into a six course carcass and that some stories whilst starting well, end with a knot rather than a twist in the tale. Whilst this is a book I would like to follow all the way to the finish line I would really like the narrative to be tightened up a bit and for some fluff to be ironed out of the mane. Conclusion: Toothsome teen tale with plenty of bite.

Thank you to Netgalley and Chooseco for a free digital copy of this book. Unfortunately this was just a preview of maybe a third of the real book. I was really caught up in it and then realized this can't be a full copy. Nessa is determined to win a scholarship with her running so she invests a lot of time and energy into it. When she gets bitten by a wolf out in the woods on one of her runs, she realizes changes in her body, good ones and slightly disturbing ones... I really loved the start of the book, the descriptions of the heroine running were so vivid and wonderful, it made my feet itch to go for a run myself. Towards the end of the preview it went into a slightly boring phase and I was missing a love story so far, but other than that it was a really promising start and I am waiting for the full book which is supposed to come out in November 2016.

Okay, let's start off with the protagonist and how her goal really gets the story going. I like the personality and the idea of her youthful innocence and how it transfers into the climax of the storyline. I originally gave the title three stars because it was only a few chapters to read and I personally can't fully judge a book by just a few chapters but this time around i would most definitely give four stars. The plot is very tempting and so far has a unique view on the whole werewolf persona. Im still intrigued and feel the shadowing of the story is progressing at a steady pace. I don't feel im being rushed through scenes and gives plenty of imagery. I am curious as to how things are going to turn out with the protagonist, being that she was chosen to help the werewolves in some way and I find that intriguing because there is several possibilities how these events can turn out. Again, I would buy this book whenever the full version becomes available. I think the goal of the protagonist leads to an interesting adventure and possible alternative future she otherwise didn't see coming. There is a hook that keeps you reading and I think that is important. Overall I'm satisfied with what I have read so far and can't wait to read it completely. I will definitely keep a look out for this book in the future.

Thank you for the opportunity to read and review this eBook I finished reading this and I will admit it is a strong start to a series. I love reading about werewolves and so I jumped at the chance but was sad that it was more of a novella than a full book. The story is slightly different from other werewolf stories and for me it seemed quite original. I liked the characters, I liked Nessa, she exhibited a lot of strength, determination and discipline. She wasn't whiney like most of the main characters except when strange things were happening. I would have liked to get to know more about the secondary characters which I am hoping the author will do in the followup book. I am sure everyone that reads it will want to know what's the deal with Cassian or the mysterious Luc. Also how old is Nate? did I miss how old he is or was that missed off in the book? The end was pretty much a cliffhanger type thing which I don't usually like because I have to wait for book 2. The only disappointment was that the story ended when it started to get interesting, was tired of reading about Nessa's runs, I needed some action to start happening. I really hope it wont be too long a wait for the next book.

I hesitated between 3 stars and 4 stars. While this was a preview, it was unbearably cruel! Well written, and engaging, I require the remainder of this book immediately!

I'm only giving this 3 stars bc I didn't realize it wasn't the full version. I am definitely intrigued and looking forward to the whole book.

Would love to read a full version when available!!!

I loved this book, I am a huge supernatural fan.... My favourite type.....werewolves and this did not disappoint. It kept me intrigued, it kept me in suspense and wanting more! I love Nate and the kids of Tether and the unique situation they are in and also I love how Nessa evolves and matures right before your eyes. Also the way the Wolf family was written really made you think you were they, playing with pups and singing with them and gives you a little sneak peak into the wolves pack dynamics. Just could not get enough of this book and really hope there is a sequel :)

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The storyline was well put together, not too much in the way of characters rambling inside their own minds. The characters were well developed for the story. Not sure if this is going to be a series or not but from the similar types of books I've read to definitely came across as the starter for a series. There were a few moments in the book were the conversation between Nessa and Bred felt a bit confusing, as in you had to 're read a couple times to get the jist. I enjoyed it though, and would definitely recommend.

For those tired of the typical supernatural YA novel, this book is your answer. While not a masterpiece, it is thoroughly enjoyable to invest some hours with. C. D. Bell does an excellent job spreading seeds of mystery throughout the body of the story. I was left constantly turning the page, anticipating the reveal of what’s really happening in this town where Nessa lives. Speaking of Nessa, the characters in this book are fun and not at all grating, as some written teenagers can end up being. There’s some romance, but it feels like more of a side plot to the main story. The only characters I did find lacking were the antagonists who unfortunately came across as extremely two-dimensional and tacked-on at the end with their motivation feeling lazily written. Unfortunately, the ending felt rather rushed and unsatisfactory after all the stellar build-up, and I wish the author could have tied the various threads together more cohesively. For those that are fans of physical transformation in stories, the first time Nessa deals with her werewolf condition is great. There’s interesting attention to detail with not often touched-on features. Unfortunately, after that first change, every other instance is glossed over, occurring almost instantly. It’s more like a magical girl transformation than a curse, but that is absolutely fitting for the feel of this story. Weregirl is like a superhero origin story and a mystery wrapped in a supernatural guise.

I did enjoy this book, the plot was good and fast-passed. I liked the characters and enjoyed the story. I am giving this book a four star because of all the grammar and spelling mistakes I picked up on. Other then that, this was in wonderful book and I really enjoyed it,

The cover of Weregirl definitely drew my attention. Since I'm a sucker for shape-shifting characters, I was really glad a got the chance to read this first novel of C.D. Bell. The story is well build up. Nessa gets bitten by a wolf, when she tries to free him from a trap. Although you can see this coming from miles away, the unfolding of the story is a lot less predictable. The first few shifts of Nessa are pretty hilarious and especially the reaction of her best friend Bree. She is a hoot! C.D. Bell has done an excellent job in describing all the emotions Nessa is feeling, when she discovers she is getting more and more a werewolf. Enhanced hearing: very handy, a sharp nose: sometimes not so handy with all those smells from the chemical factory, fur all over: definitely not handy. Try keeping your furry arms and legs from discovering when it's smoking hot outside and you need to run a 5KM race. But Weregirl is not only about Nessa and the changes she goes through in becoming a werewolf. Beside this is a second story, related to Nessa's young brother Nate. He is being monitored by a small medical clinic, sponsored by Dutch Chem. Not only Nate, but all young children in Tether are are being monitored. Billy Lark is also being monitored, but his mother is very suspicious. And then Billy gets sick... What is happening to Billy and why do the wolfs try to get Nessa to check over Billies home? And what has the medical facility have to hide? C.D. has done an outstanding job in creating a story which keeps you on edge until the very end. Keep an eye out for more books of this author.

Not set

I thought this was a cute book it definitely ended on a Cliff hanger for sure. Nessa is a junior in highschool and wants our of her town. She loves working with animals and wants to go to college. She loves to run a decided to run for the cross-country team. She is on a run one night and had a run in with a wolf. Now everything is changing and the boy she has a crush on is finally noticing her. Luc also runs on the cross-country team but keeps to himself allot. The book doesn't really talk about him a lot which was a bummer. All in all in was a pretty good book there was alot going on with her brother and a study that he is part of in the book. I am assuming there will be another book and hope it comes out soon. Alot of the book has to do with that. I would recommend this book to a friend. Thank you to the author and netgalley for providing me with this book.

Not set

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a sucker for shapeshifters. Especially wolves, which are my spirit animal for sure. To say that Nessa’s adventures and time with her new family/friends was anything less than what I imagined shapeshifting to be would be inaccurate. The team of women (six brilliant women) who wrote this together really captured shapeshifting and the consequences of being a werewolf while maintaining school, social, and home lives in a way that I had a very difficult time disagreeing with. My favorite part was probably the image cast about Nessa’s family. She has two siblings, a younger sister and bother. Sharing her room with her neat, computer-smart sister Daphne is something that she seems totally alright with and the two seem to really get along, which is awesome! I can’t help but feel that Daphne knows more than she is willing to say or at least knows that there is something up? Nessa’s mother is such a sweet lady and I enjoyed how her and her family are good at rolling with just about anything. Her attention to the things her children want and finding ways to help Nate as well is a wonderful thing to see in a mother. Speaking of Nate, he was pretty awesome. As someone who grew up with brothers with disabilities, I could identify with Nessa as far as always thinking about what would help her brother. The relationships between the family members is so close and they all care very deeply about each other, it makes me very happy. The wolves are their own family, and they welcome Nessa right in without any problems. I’m still trying to figure out if all of them are shapeshifters or if they are wolves or what exactly is going on there. But let me not forget the grey wolf (ithinkiknowwhoitisbutidontwantspoilers!!) who was pretty much like the older brother/love interest that Nessa as a wolf ended up counting on. The details about her learning to play as a wolf and learning about her different abilities and needs was such an interesting process. Five beans from me and highly recommended for anyone who is interested in shapeshifting or werewolves who aren’t simply out for human blood. I know with Halloween coming up we want the horror and the thrillers, but this book does have that slight suspense that can’t be ignored, especially as we get going in it. Stop what you are doing and read this (as soon as it’s out…)❤

Weregirl is an exciting and thought-provoking novel that will make your heart pounds as you read more of it. A simple thrilling story about a girl named Nessa who only wants out of her small town by having a college scholarship for cross-country running. Dedicated on winning it, she went to run with Cynthia Sinise, the girl's team captain, at night. But, on that night, something bad happened to her, she was bitten by a wolf, a wolf that will make her life changed forever. I had fun reading this. You don't know where the story might lead as you pass on each scenes. From a very normal life that turns extraordinary, Nessa will discover more unbelievably things around her and that will make this story more enjoyable. There's also a part there that I really liked, the one with Chayton - on their first meeting - and I won't share it as I want you to know why I like it. The romance in the air is also good especially if you are having "something" with someone you don't even know that much and it's cool right? That you have chemistry with someone you are liking unknowingly because I find it much sweeter than the others. Another thing, I like it when I'm near the end already because I can feel an eruption of butterflies in my stomach whenever I think who the wolf might be. And, I'm looking forward on reading the next book to know more of it. Nessa is such a nice, funny and determined person but I just find her irritating when her crush, Cassian likes her and they are already kissing - like that's fast huh? Well, I can't blame her as she's just a teenager and some teenagers are acting like that. The ending though leaves me hanging on. There's so much to tell but it was cut off and yeah, I really need the next book to fill the missing part of me that was lost because of it. All in all, this is very recommended. Aside from it having a pretty cover that really attracts me. Disclaimer: I received a review copy from the publisher via NetGalley.

You may have guessed from the title, that this book is about a teenage girl who gets bitten by a wolf and turns into a werewolf. But the story is really a lot more than just another teen supernatural tale – for one thing, there are no vampires lurking around. Nessa runs cross-country, and through her running she is determined to leave her dead-end home town well behind her. As her running times get faster and faster (with the help of a bit of wolf stamina), so does the pace of the book – and your reading races to keep up. However, it cannot all be as straightforward as that. Her hometown had been devastated by industrial pollution, and the new owner of the disgraced company Dutch Chemical has turned white knight with the promise of new jobs (as yet to be fulfilled) and free health care for the town, including special monitoring for any children likely to have been affected – such as Nessa’s autistic younger brother, Nate. But why would Paravida want to take on such a huge burden, and what are they really doing with the kids, and with the old Dutch Chemical factory? With her best friend, Bree, and the Monster (Bree’s non-supernatural vehicle), Nessa tries to investigate Paravida – while attempting to attract (and keep) a boyfriend, avoid doping suspicions, look after Nate, and cope with the enormous physical and emotional changes that come with being a werewolf. As if being a teenager were not enough! The book is well-written, and the main characters very well realised – especially Nessa. Nessa visibly grows from a girl obsessed with running, to a more mature person, able to look outside of her own narrow focus, to the human and wolf world around her – and to really care about their futures. Not all is resolved at the end – does that mean a sequel? There is certainly a lot more to come from this story yet. An excellent read.

First of all, I was truly impressed with this book. It’s uncommon for a young adult novel with a female protagonist to depict said female protagonist in such an energetic, warm and inspiring way. It’s not that Nessa Kurland is incredibly different and unique when compared to other girls – it’s that she’s not compared to other girls, period. She’s simply herself, with a completely mundane and relatable life. Nessa is one of those characters you just click with. She’s incredibly focused, independent, hard-working, ambitious, brave (but not overly so), a caring daughter and sister, a goofy and reliable friend, yet she is not without her faults either. She’s impulsive and doesn’t always think rationally, especially when it comes to her own safety (although I believe this is an athlete thing), and is a bit on the slow side at times. You usually do figure things out before she does. Still, she’s so likeable I have to give her a break. She always hangs out with her best friend Bree, who could not be more different from her – but their relationship somehow just works so well and it’s one of the best parts of the book. She’s had a crush on a senior since ninth grade and yes, she gets flushed and awkward around him from time to time. Which is totally normal! Yet not once does her existence seem to revolve around this single fact. She has actual hobbies and a life beyond boys and high school gossip. She’s too busy with other things, such as making time to help out her mom at the vet’s clinic on weekends, taking care of her autistic younger brother, getting good grades and achieving a college scholarship to a a good school, which she otherwise wouldn’t be able to afford. And that is her main drive throughout the book. That is, until something else far more important and dangerous forces her to shift her priorities. Nessa very literally steps into unsafe territory, where a single act of kindness changes her whole life. She finds herself thrown into a secret scheme taking place right under the noses of Tether’s citizens, which compromises their very futures. With her new form, Nessa not only has the ability but also the responsibility to find out what exactly is happening and what she can do to stop it. But not without some help from a new friend. Besides having a very balanced and realistic main character, this book features a great deal of friendship, girl cooperation, functional family dynamics, and a great variety of multi-dimensional characters. There are no real clichéd stereotypes, and those are actually made fun of throughout the story. We quickly find our assumptions thrown under the bus as the characters reveal themselves to surprise us again and again. There is also not one ounce of girls pitting against each other or degrading one other, even when the constant competition could call for it. You’re just expecting it to happen, every time, and it doesn’t. You’re also expecting Nessa’s love life to seize her entire attention at some point, and it doesn’t. It’s just so refreshing. It’s refreshing to see a book aimed at women, written by women and portraying women in such a positive, dedicated and real light. You can see there was great care involved in elaborating a coherent plot. It’s not one that is terribly complicated, but I think it’s its simplicity that really makes it work. It’s intricate enough that it grabs your attention and doesn’t let go easily, but doesn’t frustrate you to the point of wanting to throw the book across the room. You really start doubting your own suspicions and question what the author is really going for. You are constantly kept on the edge of your seat, wondering what is happening or what will be revealed next. And I think all of those questions are answered in a gradual, structurally sound fashion. Not thrown at your face in a hurried, fickle way just to get it over with. The subject of autism was handled so beautifully in this book. I don’t have a personal experience with it, but I found the way it was portrayed to be respectful, kind and not at all condescending. A lot of research was done on wolves, too, their behavior and pack dynamics, and it didn’t feel like random facts were just shoved down your throat for no reason. They had their time and place, served their purpose in the story and helped you understand the story so much more – not to mention, make it a lot cooler. -- Final Thoughts -- Overall, I thought this book was amazing. It had all the things I look for in a female protagonist and storyline and was such a breeze to read! Plus, it has wolves! What more could I possibly ask for? I would have given it five stars but there were some things that confused and bothered me. For instance, there was a parental figure relationship that creeped me out a little and some decisions Nessa made (and adventures she got herself into) that seemed a little stupid on her part and could have been handled differently. Of course, she’s a teenager and maybe I’m just expecting too much from her, given the situations that were completely out of her league. The pace did slow a bit at times but it was not a huge deal for me, as it gave me time to process everything that had happened until that point. Otherwise, I found myself going through chapter after chapter without taking notice of the time, which is incredible! The ending was the absolute cherry on top for me and if I hadn’t been in love with this story by then, I was when it was finished. I highly recommend this book, especially if you’re a Teen Wolf fan, which it reminds me so much of. This features a teenage girl going through a werewolf transformation and a best friend to join her in her search for the truth. Humor, action and the tiniest bit of romance make it a winning choice in my opinion.

Review Rating 5 out of 5 Hearts C.D. Bell is a new to me author. One I will definitely be following Weregirl is a well written, easy to follow, and enthralling story. As I read it, I kept thinking, this would make a great TV Movie. Imagine if you were invited for a night time run and then ditched. The emotions of a young lady, Nessa, who just wants to better her running performance, accepts the invitation , is ditched, then gets bitten by wolf. All the while, twisting her down a thrilling path in unexpected ways. I Enjoyed this story. The characters are believable, personable, and well developed. The world building is consistent, action packed, mysterious, suspenseful, and very thrilling. #GoGetYaSome I received a digital e-copy from NetGalley for review purposes. No renumeration was involved This the same review as posted on Goodreads and my blog.

Enjoyed this easy going read! I would definitely pick up a sequel.

Weregirl by C.D. Bell is a sweet, well written ya paranormal. There is enough angst and mystery to keep you turning pages. I’ll admit to reading it in one sitting. The author gets what it is to be a high school student. Nessa is responsible but not beyond her years or experience. I really enjoyed this book.

Upon reading the synopsis for this book, I became increasingly excited to begin reading it. If there's one thing I love in this world besides cake and dogs, is a book about mythical creatures. I would like to first start off by saying that if you are a fan of the television programme 'Teen Wolf' then I can guarantee that you will thoroughly enjoy reading this book, as there are many similarities but at the same time differences making it utterly unique. Although I know it's completely wrong, but the thing that initially pulled me towards this book was in fact the cover as it's utterly beautiful and made me want to open it up and see what's inside. (I'm also a fan of wolves so I may be a little biased). The book revolves around the life of the aspiring athlete Nessa who was stereo typically bitten by a wolf whilst jogging in the woods, followed by the whole process of actually turning into a wolf - the heightened senses, faster running and the whole looking like a wolf thing. I must admit, one of the things that irritated me slightly when reading this, was how calmly Nessa's best friend Bree (who I want as my best friend) took the whole 'transformation'. She was completely cool about it, with there being little reaction to her friend sprouting thick white hair from her body, but it also made me intrigued about Bree's character and whether there was a hidden past or agenda with her with it suggestive of a commonality with this sort of thing. Hmmm? I have noticed that other bloggers have also commented upon the fact that just like this there are parts of the book that do seem a little thin and need slightly more detail, which I completely agree with. However, despite the not-so-great-at-times writing (which could be due to the fact that this book was written by several people), the story-line did in fact grip me from start to finish. Minor characters such as the Shaman Chay and the new kid Luc, both had an air of mystery surrounding them and left me wanting more and more of them, which sadly we didn't get a lot of, but now I'm just more eager to get more of this series! For me, there were two major parts to this book, the part where Nessa was trying to get good at running to get a scholarship to college and the part where the shady new corporation Paravada popped up and started making everything better (or did they?). This part of the book is what sets it aside from other stories about werewolves and makes the book a little somewhat better.I don't want to spoil anything but this story line is one of the things that makes me want to read the second book even more. Overall, I did thoroughly enjoy the book although I am left with several unanswered questions and a need to know more. I will most certainly read the sequel and hope that we get to see more of those minor characters which I love ever so much.

The first thing someone sees from a book is of course the cover. In my opinion the cover of 'Weregirl' stands out because of it's simplicity. I'm magically drawn to white books. They're standing out between all the dark ones and for this story I couldn't imagine any other cover as the beautiful white wolf represents this book perfectly. As I love wolves, I just had to read this amazing book as soon as I laid eyes on it. For me wolves are absolutely elegant and mysterious. They're creatures of the nigtht but also very smart, respectful, courageous and simply beautiful. And in 'Weregirl' that's exactly what stands out: How unbelievably clever they really are and how much they care for the members of their pack. C. D. Bell's writing style is definitely thrilling and very detailed. I could easily imagine every single scene and every character in this book. The whole story is also very fast-paced and you won't find any dull scenes at all. You will come across some amazing characters. For one there is Nessa. She is the wonderful main character of the story. Nessa has an amazing personality. She is kind and has courage, takes care of her loves ones and doesn't look away, when bad things are happening. Of course she can't handle everything on her own, so you'll also meet her amazing best friend Bree. She's very curious and Nessa can always count her in for any adventure. Bree would never let Nessa down and that's why I love her so much. I love High School stories and in 'Weregirl' a big part of the story takes place in Nessa's junior year but I can promise that this story is not the typical 'a girl sees a guy in school and falls in love with him' kind of story. No. It's a massive, fast-paced, thrilling adventure, where teenager love is not the main point but the changes in the protagonist's life are. I can recommend this book to everyone, who is open-minded towards a new kind of High School story and of course to everyone, who loves wolves. I loved this book and can't wait to hear your opinions on it!

I was so excited to receive a copy of this book for review, because I was in a mood for a werewolf book. I didn't really know what to expect from this book, but werewolves and boy was I blown away with this book. From the very first page you get sucked into this world and you can't put it down. The only thing that was a little turn off was there were parts that seem to drag, but other than that it was great. I really enjoyed the main character Nessa she honestly had some great character development. Also I was really glad that the main problem of the book wasn't the whole focus. A lot of the subplots fit very nicely into the book and didn't seem out of place. All of the characters weren't random though I do feel that some of the sub characters could have been part of the story more. One of these characters is Chayton. He was amazing character, but he was just there same with Luc. C.D Bell's writing blew me away. I didn't know what to expect by the author's style most of the time for me it's hit or miss and this was a big hit. It fit the plot nice. I enjoyed the fact that it incredible balance between detail and dialogue. I personally don't think the book needs another book it ended very nicely. Though I would read the next book. Overall this is a five star book and I would highly recommend it.

I loved the story. It was a really good story. Something you could really get into and the characters was very real. It was easy to get to know them and it kept you on edge. There was this element of majesty and danger that surrounded the story like an eery shadow. I couldn’t get enough of it.

Fascinating story! Nessa lives in Tether, Michigan. The water there was contaminated by a company called DutchChem. The company went bankrupt, but was bought out by Paravida who invested in the town and made sure the residents had good medical care. The company also set up a medial centre for testing the juvenile residents to make sure they were healthy. Nessa is on the track team, trying to make a name for herself to obtain a full scholarship to college. One day as she is out running, she comes across a wolf caught in a trap. While she tries to free the wolf, she is bitten by another. Over time, Nessa experiences some changes, she can run faster, see better, hear better and finally experiences transformation into a wolf. There seem to be strange things going on in the town and it seems that Nessa is chosen by the wolves to find out what is wrong and put a stop to it. Am now going to read the second book in the trilogy!

I was strangely drawn to this story. On the cusp of something. I needed to see how it ended but yet needed something more. It is a unique read and I’m interested in seeing where the story goes with the next book and what secrets the town is hiding.

Weregirl by C.D. Bell, a first rate fantasy YA novel that pulls you in quickly and makes you want to know what happens. A unique take on how one comes to be a werewolf and very well told. I look forward to the future books.

When I heard about this book I was really intrigued to read it as the synopsis reminded me a lot of Teen wolf which I am a huge fan of. By this I mean with our main character Nessa running in the wood and getting bitten and then her best friend stepping up and being the friend she could confide in about all the wolfy business. I admit it was a bit confusing at the beginning when she was learning that she had become the wolf but after that I absolutely loved the story plot. I loved the friendship between nessa and her best friend and also the relationship between her running friendas which we saw a lot of character development and I liked how my guess of who the first wolf was come true. As you can probably tell I absouletly loved this book and I felt myself fly through it and I’m so happy I have the rest of the Trilogy thanks to netgalley to fly through and finish the trilogy. I gave this book 5 stars as I felt connected to it from beginning to end.

I honestly don't know how to start so I'm just going to say it. It was the BEST werewolf story I've ever read! EVER! I expected it to be good but not as good. I mean I fell in love with all the characters, and the plot. It was slow at some points but it never was an issue for me. The best part of the story is that everything was "realistic" or let's say "believable". Nessa, the main character, didn't get all the super powers in once when she became a werewolf and she didn't know how to use them immediately. She had to learn slowly how everything worked. And that's the part that impressed me the most. All the human interactions were believable! Nothing seemed awkward or forced! Also it's not all about werewolves. It's also about a typical teenager life in a small town, it's about sport and competition, it's about something weird going on in the city with some authorities, it's about doping etc... But nothing is ever too much it's always well described and balanced as it would be in real life. From the beginning I tried to figure out things and let me tell you I was as close as I was far from the truth... I was on the edge all the time. I really did enjoy this book! It was so refreshing and so different from all the cliché books and shows about werewolves. I would definitely recommend the series to anyone because yes book two is already out and the third one is coming super soon! Thank you Chooseco for sending me this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review!!

This is an excellent example of a ya or younger aimed book that still is interesting and fun for adults to read as well. The kid (I can't remember how old the kid is, a teenager, certainly) is not some kind of teen wunderkind, that oh so annoying self deprecating yet stunningly pretty girl who gets all the gifts and somehow manages to save the world whilst doing... Not at lot. And that's what makes it compelling. She's a teenager. And acts like one. And that's refreshing. She has her passions, her hobbies, her friends and normal teenage interests, like boys and what the popular girls are saying about everyone at school. And that's nice to see, a normal, everyday character that ends up in an extraordinary circumstance. This circumstance occurs through a werewolf bite. And she freaks out! And that's brilliant! Finally, a normal reaction to trauma and something mind boggling! So many books of these genres have the protag just shrugging off the whole supernatural thing and being totes cool with it, and thats so jarring. Its nice to read a realistic reaction. Adding a good plot and plenty of mystery, good friendships and a well thought out progression of character means this book is one level up on most YA fiction. I'd happily read a sequel.

All Nessa wants is to get a track scholarship and get out of her small town...but fate has other plans. One night while out on a run Nessa is attacked by a wolf  and survives. Suddenly she's running faster than she ever has before and being plagued by dreams of the wolf that attacked her and of dreams where she herself is transforming into a wolf. After one such dream she wakes covered in fine white fur and she realizes the unthinkable is happening to her...she is becoming a wolf, as if highschool wasn't hard enough now she has to deal with her new abilities and the strangeness of her town those extra senses have made her aware of... First I want to thank Chooseco for approaching me to read Weregirl (and its subsequent books) in exchange for an honest review! I honestly was scared this book could have the potential to be another Twilight disaster but I was relieved to find out that that was not the case! I actually didn't want to put this book down. Even the sports aspect of the book was written in a way that held my interest! If I didn't already love Werewolf stories the Background of the town and the new Paravida buyout and the Clinic Studies on the kids was immediately intriguing and I wanted to know more!  This book, I think, would appeal to more than just werewolf lovers! I gave Weregirl 4.8 stars because it held my interest till the last page and was a fairly quick read.