Laplatia

Or The City That Could Not Dream

Pub Date 04 Feb 2016 | Archive Date 18 Jul 2016

How would it be to live in a city where no one was allowed to use his imagination freely? Where dreams and fantasy had to be used for socioeconomic purposes? Laplatia is a dystopian city in the near future where natural resources for the production of electrical power on Earth have been depleted. With increasing chaos due to this shortage, civilization invented the Extractors, machines capable of extracting human imagination and turning it into Fos, electricity's raw material. Consequently, citizens were prohibited to "spend useless thoughts," such as those provided by imagination, dreams, and fantasy, unless they were destined to the Extractors.
In this city, we follow the story of seven characters, their anguishes, their relationships, and their solitude. Laplatia is an erratic story that emotionally moves the reader and urges him to reflect about himself and the society. After all, who said one's thought is free?

EDITION Paperback

Send to Kindle (EPUB)

Reading Laplatia was like being in a dream-like state, funny, because in Laplatia dreaming is illegal. I was drawn in by the premises of this story straight away, Dystopian future where imagination and creative thought is restricted and extracted from people to create a power source. written in an abstract way but with enough reality injected to make it believable - I think you will wake up from this book Questioning it, however, just like a dream accepting it's obscureness due to the lack of reality.

First lines: The Neurosurgeon looked at the boy, languid, unconscious on a gurney, he turned to the nurse.
"What has he done wrong?"
"It seems something went wrong in the extraction process. He went psychotic," Said the nurse through her mask.

This book is full of little moments like this that draw you into this abstract world, then make you realise with horrible consideration the truth of the matter - people who loose their minds through the extraction an epidemic of mental health problems, self harming and other issues.

in the first chapter that the self harming was mentioned, I felt like it hadn't been dealt with very well, it felt like it was just a shock factor, however as the story develops the emotions of the character and her situation are expanded, and it fits in place with in this dark and horrible world. for those of you who may be sensitive to such things, this book may be distressing as there are topics of Self harm, domestic abuse and other violent things.

I kept reading drawn more and more into this world, there are so many lines which have stuck with me, the authors descriptive powers really create the world around you without giving too much away, yet keeping you hooked on just enough

One of my Favourite lines has been

"However time was against her. It Had slowly corroded her happiness like a sugar cube in tea."

The pace of the story moves quickly, Jumping almost erratically chapter by chapter between the characters piecing together the story bit by bit. how ever it doesn't feel rushed and the story is well put together as it really keeps you wondering where the story is going to go as all the lives are slowly pulled together by the threads of plot. However, the ending continues beyond where it feels it should and these threads are slowly pulled apart again one by one and dissected. which sadly left the ending a bit fragmented for my taste.

The concept of the story is good, and it is a good reflection upon dissatisfaction of society in itself. Dispite the weaker ending I feel that this story makes up for it in ways of imagination so if you are willing to push through that then this story is for you, As I wasn't overwhelmed with the ending I feel that this story is in a midpoint between 2 and 3 stars, 3 for the begining and the middle of the story and the ideas which are explored and a 2 for the weaker drawn out ending.

In Laplatia the author introduces us to a very original concept: a city where imagination is used as fuel and citizens are therefore not allowed to imagine freely.

Written in a way that may remind you of classic dytopian novels such as "1984", Alexandre A. Loch gives the reader food for thought . As a psychiatrist , he knows the inner workings of the mind and creates compelling characters.

He " likes to make people think with my fictions". According to him " A book should provoke catharsis; induce the reader to reflect about himself, his life, and the society he is living in. For that, I usually use a sharp style that touches directly the reader’s soul."

This book is not an easy read, you will suffer with the characters and feel suffocated by the harsh conditions they live in. Without imagination and fantasy there is little hope and the author describes the atmosphere so vividly that it is overwhelming at times.

I would recommend this novel to adult readers who like descriptive novels, psychology and miss classic dystopian literature.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my honest review.

To be exact, I gave this book a 3.5 rating.
I am usually one who likes multiple POV's in stories but I think this one with the seven just threw me off quite a bit. It wasn't a bad book, but I feel it could have done with more development. I feel like it would be better and would have been even more enjoyable if the world was developed more, there was an explanation as to why things were the way they were, as well as it having more of a dystopian feel to it because at points while it did feel very dystopian to me I just didn't get it like I do with some other dystopian books.