Merm-8

ISBN 9781942391371
PRICE

Send to Kindle (MOBI)

Not set

Title: Merm-8 Author: Eric J Juneau From: Netgalley Genre: Paranormal, Sci-fi, Fantasy Release Date: 30th July 2016 Challenges: 2016 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge, 2016 New Release Challenge, Summer COYER 2016 Links: Goodreads Synopsis (from Netgalley): Gene, a mariner-for-hire, just found a mermaid trapped in his ship's intake port. After ocean levels rose, Gene thought scavenging the flooded Earth would be a decent living. But he never expected this. Where did she come from? Why won’t she go back in the water? Is she a product of genetic engineering or the real thing? And when the world discovers a real fantasy creature, chaos erupts. Corporations want to exploit her. Old friends want to capitalize on her fame. Marauders are sinking any ships that get in their way of her. As her only friend, Gene must save them both by returning her home. But the trip back involves diving into a world of more than just mermaids. And a secret that, in the wrong hands, could destroy the remainder of mankind.

I enjoyed Merm-8 and wanted to know the ins and the outs of the story but I didn't find myself fully engrossed in the tale. Genre wise it was fantasy with a few sci-fi/dystopia elements thrown into the setting. The genres worked well together and at no point did I think they were clashing against each other.

Gene and Ginger (the mermaid) were okay characters for me. I cared what happened to the mbut wasn't overly invested. However the ending did still get me, I did get slightly emotional. There were definitely a few twists and turns in the plot towards the end that had me viewing Gene in a different way, though maybe if they'd happened earlier then I'd have felt more of an attachment towards him as a character.

I liked that Ginger had to be taught things like speech (well the English language to be more specific, Her early attempts to communicate with Gene were interesting, but their growing friendship (and slightly amourous feelings towards each other) really kicked up a notch when she started to be able to speak to him.

The mystery of where Ginger came from, especially after the first big twist, kept me working as the book progressed, and I thought that it was answered well when it was revealed. The place she came from was definitely well developed and I enjoyed Gene's adventures there.

This was an interesting read, and definitely had some elements of The Little Mermaid story (the original, though the Disney version does make a great appearance at one stage!)

Not set

This book was a fabulous read! The right mix of fantasy and sci-fi, the lover of the genre is sure to enjoy this book!

Not set

I really enjoyed this as it was something totally different.
The characters were engaging and there was enough action and surprises to keep you guessing.
I really hope there is a sequel.

Not set

Merm-8 is a dystopian fantasy/adventure tale taking place in a mostly flooded future Earth. The main character Gene, is a salvager just barely scraping by, his only company being a spunky AI program dubbed 'Stitch'. One day he finds a mermaid has gotten sucked up into his ship. Thinking this is his lucky day, he takes her to a floating outpost for a scientist friend to examine. But the more he gets to know her, the harder it becomes to leave her. What is her story, anyway...?

I would first like to state that I received this through NetGalley for an honest review. This was a bit of a slow starter for me but once it picked up I flew through it. It was a tale of adventure on the high seas - full of action, plot twists, and the fantastical imaginings of a mad scientist. While the ending left a bit to be desired, overall I rather enjoyed the story. This was a touching and bittersweet novel of personal growth, loss, and love to the very end.

The premise of dystopian fantasy meets sci-fi was a well-done combination in the tale of Gene and Ginger. I really felt the dystopian vibe added something new and enhanced the human/ mermaid love story. I loved the mermaid Ginger and I love that they tried to make her authentic ( as in she couldn't speak a human language but a vibration one based on being in the water). She was essentially a blank slate to the ways of humans. Gene was a harder character to like, especially at the start of the novel. He does seem to develop as a person as the book progresses. I really like that Eric Juneau had Gene at first not care for the mermaid, but had it develop over time. I usually tune out if the characters magically fall in love immediately upon looking at each other, I prefer a natural development and this book had it.

Like many dystopian novels, this book had lessons for current society and the future. The fact that everyone was wanting a piece of the mermaid rings very realistic to our current society and also towards the future ( even in a more technologically advanced society) would also act the same. I enjoyed this book although at times the writing style seemed a bit juvenile, it did not detract from the story but was noticeable at times.I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This review will be posted on Goodreads August 13 and on amazon.ca when book is available thorough that merchant