A Cowboy's Fate

Pub Date 28 May 2014 | Archive Date 30 Sep 2016

Kicked out of England for offending the Royal Family, Britania Rule heads for Leadville, in the Colorado backcountry. Passing herself off as a highborn lady, she pursues her dream of opening a parlor of spiritual enlightenment.

Cody James, her guide, thinks he must be half-crazy to hire-out to a female. But his luck at the gaming tables has run dry, and she’s his meal-ticket out of town. Betrayed by the only woman he ever loved, and shot and left for dead by a man he once called friend, Cody declares himself a loner.

Traveling side by side, they deny their desire for one another, but the Tarot cards say otherwise. Their hot night of passion confirms the prediction. Will love be waiting at the end of the trail? Or could Cody’s past destroy their future?

A Note From the Publisher

Western Historical Romance

Western Historical Romance

EDITION Ebook

Links

**I was provided a free copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion. What follows is that opinion.** Let me start by saying I give 5 stars to books that totally blow me away and that I will read over and over. This was not that book, I’m afraid, and I can’t in good conscious give 4 stars to a book with so many grammatical errors—errors that any editor worth their paycheck should have caught. Missing articles, ‘ed’ at the end of words that didn’t need it and missing it from words that did, and incorrect word choice (‘dictatorial manor’ when she meant ‘dictatorial manner’), etc was distracting enough to make it hard to stay in the story. There were times when the author changed perspective in the middle of a paragraph and I had to re-read a few parts to figure out who was thinking/speaking, which tended to interrupt the flow. Most of Cody and Britania’s inner dialogue is ‘yes, no, I want him/her, I shouldn’t give in, I won’t give in, oh hell, why not?’ vascilatting and I would like to have seen a little more variety in their thought processes. It drug on a little too long and didn’t feel genuine at times. I did, however, appreciate the change in voice between the two); a cowboy in that time period would definitely use different slang/vocabulary/patterns of speech than a British lady (East End or highborn). I found that to be a nice touch and shows that Ms. Rifkin did her research. While I found Cody and Britania fairly one-dimensional and the plot rather predicable, this story definitely had its redeemaing qualitiesl There were some unexpectedly humorous passages—especially the bit about the socks—and the Tarot card reading was an interesting addition. The sex was fairly well-written, classy and not overly graphic/descriptive. There was just enough description of the Colorado scenery to set a nice backdrop to this tale of down-on-their-luck’s finding hope and love. “A Cowboy’s Fate” was nice for a night of mindless reading. It was a quick journey through the Wild West and I appreciate those on occasion. If you’re looking for a romance that doesn’t require mental gymnastics to follow (sometimes something sweet and no-nonsense is just what the imagination needs!), I’d recommend this one as a start. Bottom line: this was not the best romance I’ve ever read, but definitely not the worst.

“A Cowboys Fate,” by Gini Rifkin is a fast-paced tale set in Colorado in the late 1880’s. Britania Rule had been deported from England after a misunderstanding of accusing the Queen’s nephew of being Jack the Ripper, and given the choices of her future destination, she accepts her fate and travels to Boston. Britania has full faith in her abilities to read her cards and accept her fate, so when the cards tell her that her success lies in the town of Leadville, Colorado she seeks out an experienced guide to take her to her destination. Cody James is a man who plays to win and due to circumstances in his past, he is a man on a mission to right the wrongs he experienced at the hands of his ex-partner. Cody agrees to get Britania to Leadville, but he had no idea how much this trip would change his life. Britania and Cody must fight for their burgeoning love affair against a force of evil that may be the death of them. I was given this book to read by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Britania Rule has been kicked out of England for offending the royal family so she decides to head to America. Pretending to be a proper English lady Britania searches for a guide to help her travel to the Colorado back country where she plans to open a parlor for spiritual enlightenment. Cody James has had a bad run of luck gambling so being a bit desperate he agrees to take the lady to where she needs to go. Traveling together though brings this unlikely pair together and then Britania finds that her tarot cards are showing she and Cody may be more than just traveling companions. A Cowboy's Fate was a rather nice little quick historical romance read with a bit of action also in the plot. The couple involved do steam up the pages though and with it being historical I'd give a word of warning for those that enjoy a cleaner read. This one was rather entertaining while watching the main character try to be a proper lady when she most certainly wasn't. Britania carries a gun strapped to her inner thigh and a sexy case of lingerie that any proper woman wouldn't even look at while Cody is the ruggedly handsome but heartbroken love interest, seeming like opposites the two had more in common than they knew. I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.