Brain Food

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Brain Food is a collection of pieces from a newspaper column, of the same name, that ran (or still runs) in Australia. It is a food column that answers readers questions in a more direct and teasing tone then other food columns.

This book was not at all what I was expecting. From the title I thought that I was going to get a book heavy on science and not on cooking. Although, I was surprised how much science there is when creating recipes and cooking. It was not the type of science I expected, nor the format I was expecting.

I am not the target audience for this book. I only taught myself to cook as an adult, and that because of food allergies in myself and my children. Most of the information in this book was useless to me, specifically because of our food allergies. I was a bit blown away that the advice given to a young child headed off to college was to teach them how to cook a chicken. Have they never seen the kitchen in dorms? We were lucky to be able to boil water, let alone create an actual meal.

With that being said, it was a good tone and I read the book all the way through. While most of the information was not relevant, I was still intrigued by the passion behind cooking.

I received this book for free from Netgalley. All opinions are my own.
Not really a cookbook, it's a funny book with good cooking advice. Once knowing what type of book this is not, it can be very handy, giving answers to questions that some may be afraid of asking.
I was not familiar with the column this book was based on and didnt feel that the book covered the material enough to make it a good read or for me to give a recommendation to others
When I first got this book I actually thought it was related to food for the brain. The foods that help the brain think better and such. But as it turns out, this book is about food questions. Even though initially I felt confused, I loved the book too much to care about the title. As the author writes in the beginning, the book is a collection of questions, the author had answered as a part of a food column. Other than being informative, it is the author’s writing style that hooks you to the book. Usually, food columns just answer your queries in a robotic manner, but not this food column. This author has a hilarious way of answering questions that leave you laughing and other around you wondering why you are laughing reading a food column.

The book is extremely informative as well. I learned about a lot of new dishes and many more kitchen hacks. I had not known much about why we add certain ingredients to baking, but this book answers that as well. I think this book has truly won at being an interesting book about food questions. I would certainly recommend this book!

Rating:4/5 stars
#NetGalley #Melbourne

This is a collection best columns printed from 2010 to 2016 by the famous Richard Cornish. The book is divided by sections where the most debatable culinary questions are answered in a humorous and informative way. I liked the way that Richard shares the techniques and theories.
Enjoyed this book. Laughed out loud a couple of times at some of the dry humour in here and learned some good tips along the way. It wasn't what I was expecting but it was really good. Learned a bit about weird Australian stuff too. So similar but so different.
This is a fun book that I read in bits and pieces over time.  Since the information (about cooking, chemistry of cooking, and dining etiquette) is in snippets, it doesn't have to be read cover-to-cover.  Many of the entries are perfect for telling your friends and family "Did you know...?"
This is a compilation of columns that appear in an Australian food magazine.  There are some interesting tidbits. The author writes with humor and answers questions from readers without being condescending (though he does seem to be gently poking fun sometimes). Some of the brand names, supermarkets, and types of food I didn't recognize but overall, still an enjoyable read.

Thanks to NetGalley, Richard Cornish, and Melbourne University Publishing for the opportunity to read this book for free, in exchange for an honest review.
Like an encyclopedia of information this book providec a lot on insight about cooking.
Great resource! The author has put a lot of useful information, this is such a helpful book. Would recommend!
This book was pretty ok, nothing really wowed me in it, but I also didn't hate reading it. I think, since I am an avid cook and student of kitchen things, none of the information was new, but I imagine that someone new to kitchen shenanigans might find it more useful. I think my biggest complaint would be the organization and utility of the book, the style of it being replies to an advice column means it was not organized really well and if you wanted the answer to a specific question you just had to hope you could find it. I did appreciate the snark and wit though!
This book is a collection of questions and answers on the author’s column. Some of them funny and some very interesting. You can learn a lot about cooking and techniques. I advise tHe reading of the book to all of us who loves to cook and are just curious....!
I received a free e-book copy of this title from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Brain Food is a book that collects questions and responses from Richard Cornish's column on cooking. Some are funny. Some are surprisingly specific. Most are very informative and super interesting. I learnt a few new things about baking (for example, the difference between using baking powder and bicarbonate of soda), and confirmed some of my suspicions with regard to cooking in general. It is a very fast read, punctuated by Cornish's opinionated, yet irreverent tone.
Brain Food by Richard Cornish is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in late January.

A compilation of advice and responses from the Cornish's column, Cooking Smart, between 2010 and 2016. There is a real formality in the advice he offers, yet also a lot of wit, pop-culture humor, and is willing to help a reader to create a superior dish/product. Why he decided to use a title like Brain Food instead of Cooking Smart, I've no idea.
From the publisher-
Is pork butt the new pork belly? Whose room temperature are we talking about? And can you freeze cheese? (Yes, but why would you want to?)
These are some of the burning questions at the heart of every kitchen. Food science, etiquette, myth-busting, history and common sense—there is no subject too big or too small for Richard Cornish to answer in his weekly Brain Food columns, which have been must-reads for years.
Brain Food is a collection of the best cooks' conundrums and their surprising answers.

I love food and I love trivia so this book worked for me on so many levels --- what a fun read and I learned so much.  A great book for the foodie in your life!!!