Cover Image: Silver Hair

Silver Hair

I am always encouraging women to wear their gray/silver hair proudly, and I don't plan to ever artificially cover mine. There is no shame in doing so, and this book only reinforced my personal beliefs. It shows beautiful women of all ages with their natural color. And the book also provides many tips and styles for making the most of silver hair.
I thought this was  interesting and good food for thought - my black hair started going grey in my early 20s, and I am sick of the whole dying process. Although ultimately I decided not to take the plunge myself (yet), I am sure it will be a valuable guide for people who do.

There were tips and advice in here - which is great - but there were too many testimonials/stories of women who have already gone grey for my liking.. While I get the point was to make you feel that you weren't alone, it became a bit samey - particularly as so many of the stories featured a level of salon hair support that someone with natural curls is hard pressed to fine just getting a hair cut in my country! I have quite thin hair (even though it dries into massive curls I show a lot of scalp) and the examples all feature thick hair, so my personal concerns weren't put to rest.
Though I am well into my fifties, I have not really addressed the going grey issue until now. I have highlighted/lowlighted my hair since my teens because it gives my fine hair more body and depth. I don't want to do this forever. I chose Silver Hair because I have recently had several hospitalizations, and the grey/silver is really coming in. I needed a guide book for this new development, and this book provides the information I need.
The book first addressed the emotions and psychology involved in choosing to embrace the natural silver in a society that worships youth. There are quite a few people describing their own experiences with their feelings, and the reactions of others. The author describes and shows the growing out process, providing information on how to make it easier. The pictures helped a lot because it makes the process seem less scary. I do wish, though, that there were more pictures of women with naturally light and straighter hair to see. Especially those that do not have it cut very short. Recipes for hair products are provided, but I am not really interested in making my own. I would have liked more information about a variety of products I can buy.
I liked the overall tone of the book. It is very positive and encouraging. I felt that the author was very knowledgeable about her subject, and she explained herself clearly.
Silver Hair provided great tips for mostly curly-headed women, some of which can be used for straight hair. I would have liked to see more photos women with straight hair or perhaps reflect in the title that is really for curly hair. And, yes, I have straight hair and would have appreciated more on the subject. The photos used were great and I would recommended for my curly-headed friends.
I liked the message about loving your hair but I just couldn't get past the first 23 pages. The book was ok but I just can't read anymore of the same message being repeated again and again.
Rating: 1 Star
Quite a new concept and very positive. If this impacts everyone, I'm sure no woman would ever require to hide her grays. The book has experiences from real people who choose not to color their grey hair and how they loved it. Hope this turns into a revolution all over the world. The real message is to embrace yourself as you change. It has advice on how even dull grey hair can look pretty with adequate care. Thanks to the author for writing this book. A must read for everyone because someday everyone will have those greys!
Silver Hair comes at a time when many women, myself included are rebelling from the false notion that natural hair is not good enough.  This handbook walks  one through the process of letting go physically and emotionally of chemically coloring hair and embracing the natural beauty of uniquely silver hair.  Ms. Massey  shows  readers the visual journey of transformation of many people.  This photographic evidence, noting the struggles, and the encouragement of her own journey give one a confidence boost to toss the color box or stylist and be free to be natural.  This process is not for everyone, as the author notes, however, the encouragement is there to take the steps needed if one so desires.  Thank you, Ms. Massey.
Besides the celebrities that are now dying their hair silver (why!) there are plenty of examples of those letting nature takes its course, and they look stunning. Exhibit A: Jamie Lee Curtis. With an Exhibit A that’s so gorgeous we don’t really need an Exhibit B.

If you’re sick of the hair dye merry-go-round, especially those with dark hair whose roots show almost as soon as you dry your newly coloured hair, Silver Hair is a useful book to help you take the plunge. While I understand that it’s only hair, it is a surprisingly scary thing to contemplate what you’ll look like if you step away from that little bottle of dye.

With plenty of photos of celebs and the woman next door either letting their silver shine or showing the multi-coloured transitional phases, this book shows that you can actually look good while your hair is mid grow out and gorgeous with silver.

Besides the beautiful photos there is also plenty of information. Silver Hair dispels myths, addresses common concerns, provides advice on managing the partly grown out look and mindset that goes with it, prepares you for the compliments (yes, you read that correctly), and there are plenty of stories of ordinary women who have ditched the dye.

You’ll also learn tips and tricks for managing and caring for silver hair, along with some recipes for homemade hair care products. Other than focusing specifically on your hair you’ll learn clothing, makeup and accessorising tips that will enhance your new look.

My Nitpick: Okay, so maybe that’s not the right term to be using for a book about hair. 🤨 Anyway, while I loved the different ages represented in the women in this book I was disappointed that in just over 200 pages there was only one man included.

So, what did I do? Between requesting to read this book and actually reading it I went from waist length coloured hair (sometimes chocolate brown, sometimes purple with a rainbow of extensions) to a buzz cut. My poor hairdresser, who was literally the girl next door growing up, was suitably traumatised but, after asking several hundred times if I was really sure, went for it and I love it.

I’ve got occipital neuralgia so mine was partly a medical decision but I can hand on heart tell you that it’s the most liberating thing I’ve ever done. Do I get some funny looks out in public? You bet. Do I care? Nope! That was a surprising but welcome side effect - while Samson’s strength was in his hair, apparently my tendency to people please was in mine.

Now if my hair is longer than my eyelashes I’m ready for it to get buzzed. I’ve saved time, money and plenty of care factor for the true priorities in my life, A.K.A books, and my only regret is that I didn’t take the plunge years ago.

Thank you so much to NetGalley and Workman Publishing Company for the opportunity to read this book.
This offers up a combination of the whys and how-tos of letting your hair naturalize (in terms of color).  It offers great advice for growing out artificial coloring, and for selecting products to help your hair be its healthiest and shine to its best advantage.  I liked reading the vignettes about women embracing their silver as well as the descriptions of the varied individualized processes to choose from when growing into a gorgeous head of natural color, with stunning photography accompanying each story.  If you've been thinking about going silver versus coloring, this will give you much to think on when making that decision.
I voluntarily read an advanced review copy provided by the publisher via Netgalley and I offer my opinions in response.
This is a book for everyone who colors their hair, for whatever reason. It addresses so many issues, and isn't just for people who have been going grey.
This is another insightful and helpful guide to embracing one's natural beauty (in terms hair color, especially) by Lorraine Massey, expert hairstylist and author of Curly Girl. Her writing is clear, her tone is inspiring, and her advice is refreshingly honest. While making sure the reader understands all aspects of what it means (and how long it takes) to go gray (or to "go silver," as she prefers to say), Massey offers nothing but positive encouragement and makes the reader understand why the time and effort will be worth the end result. Most useful to this reader was her inclusion of several different photos of different women (of all ages, colors, and hair types) in various stages of going gray. It is ultimately these photos which will  help one decide whether or not they are ready to stop coloring their hair. While I realized I am not quite ready to embrace my natural hair color, I still find this book worth keeping. When that day eventually comes, I know I'll want to go back and reference Massey's tips.
Silver Hair: Say Goodbye to the Dye and Let Your Natural Light Shine: A Handbook by Lorraine Massey with Michele Bender is currently scheduled for rel;ease on February 6 2018. Written by the author of the bestselling Curly Girl, Silver Hair covers step-by-step the many options for going silver with style. It includes before-and-after photos of real models; advice on how to stay gorgeous during the silver journey—with tips on the best ways to have a smooth color transition; keeping your silver gorgeous with the right hair care and DIY recipes; and finally how to complement your chic new look with flattering fashion, makeup, and accessories. Going silver is not just about style, or saving time and money at the salon or on your own.  It satisfies that deeper desire for authenticity and the freedom to be oneself.

Silver Hair: Say Goodbye to the Dye and Let Your Natural Light Shine: A Handbook is an encouraging and useful guide to those that are pondering the end of dying their grays, and the start of embracing the hair nature is giving them. There was a large number or stories from different women that have gone through the transition, all telling the methods they used and how their looks, lives, and perception of themselves changed. As someone with naturally dark hair, and plenty of what I like to call "wisdom highlights". I did not find much in the book that was relevant to me, because I have not dyed my hair in a number of years and the stories are mostly about giving up the dye, and the process of growing out the color rather than just letting nature have its way from the very beginning. However, I did enjoy reading about how other women felt about their hair and the reactions they received when they embraced the silver. The most instructive thing for me was the tips for hair care and treatments. I think this would be a great read for those considering making this transition.
As a woman who long ago realized that coloring my hair was aging my appearance much more than accepting the grey, white, and silver that had been emerging since my twenties, I can testify to the practicality and insight of this guide. Several of the tips for transition (and the informing of awkward realities) are ones I had to discover on my own, and it would have been a great comfort to know it was all part of the natural progression.

The abundance of photos is fabulous, especially those of women mid-process. The text is direct and engaging, and the structure invites both cover-to-cover reading as well as revisiting of relevant chapters. I was especially gratified that the author thought to address the change in tones of both clothing and makeup that best complement after the transition is complete.

The models and real-life examples tend toward those with thick, lustrous hair, and I kept hoping for a few with fine, thin hair to represent another (arguably numerous) population. When I realized the author's first work is a book called Curly Girl, that put into context the imbalance. There is still much value to be gleaned no matter personal characteristic, but it's always a benefit to allow a variety of women to find themselves in the featured styles.

Overall, a strong option for those who are flirting with the decision to free from the tyranny of coloring or who want a knowledgeable companion for the transition.
I received a copy of this book for an honest review from NetGally.

I've been dying my hair for years and have always been frustrated with the idea of covering the grey.  I am the type of woman who doesn't wear make-up and likes to be as natural as possible, but the idea of not colouring my hair intimidated me - especially after the many comments I would receive when my roots would show.

After reading Massey's book, I felt myself becoming more and more comfortable with the notion.  I even began speaking to friends about it and they took the plunge first!  Now we are a group of women who proudly show our silver streaks!
I loved the many examples and ideas for going naturally grey. However, the attention to this part felt somewhat lost in the "go silver" pep rally. Way too much time and pages are spent trying to convince the reader that this is an okay thing to do. I feel if you weren't at least somewhat sold on the idea, you wouldn't have picked up the book to begin with. So, some patience with the enthusiasm of the author is needed. Past that, the book had some great ideas for how to gracefully go grey and how to take care of grey hair to make it look its best.
Lorraine Massey's "Curly Girl" helped me and others embrace our curls rather than fighting them. "Silver Hair" will do the same for those of us beginning to find the stray gray hair (as well as those who have been coloring them for years). Massey covers how to transition from dyeing to gray, changes you might need to make to your makeup or wardrobe, how to select a shampoo, and more. All of us age, and few books address how to do it naturally. Even if you decide against going silver, "Silver Hair" will make you feel better about growing older.
I just can't read the download to computer books. I'm so sorry
This book is an excellent resource for those who are thinking about or are ready to ditch the dye and embrace their natural grey hair. It helped me make the decision to gradually transition. The stories of ladies who have transitioned (especially that of author/stylist/entrepreneur Lorraine Massey) illustrate very well what the process might look like and therefore give the reader a better idea of what they should be prepared for. I also enjoyed the sense of humour to add levity to such a difficult decision. The natural hair potion recipes are very helpful as well. I am a newspaper editor and am chronicling my transition to possibly do a story in the future. I'm happy to know that I have a lot of "silver sisters" supporting me and I look forward to becoming part of a revolutionary group of ladies that will hopefully inspire young women to embrace their grey hair and help them realize that colouring and covering up isn't their only option. They can be grey and proud!  I am a curly girl myself and can only hope that my hair will end up looking as lovely as Lorraine's.
Interesting and creative options for readers who currently cover their grays but are ready to transition to their natural color.  This should be a staple on salon coffee tables!
Out February 6, 2018

My thanks to Netgalley and Workman Publishing Company for the ARC to read and provide my honest review
More women–in and out of Hollywood–are either going gray or talking about it. Silver Hair shows how to toss the bottle, take back the hours and dollars you spend on the colorist, and emerge a truer, more beautiful version of yourself.

Silver Hair will show you how to decide if you’re ready to give up the hair-color servitude, what method of going gray will be most comfortable to you, and how to keep your hair and total look beautiful and youthful. With photos taken of real women over one year of growing out their color, including author Lorraine Massey, you’ll see the various ways to grow out gray, from “all natural” – minus the skunk line! – to low-lights, silver streaks, a pixie cut, and dyeing your hair gray as your natural silver emerges. And in a section on “how to stay gorgeously gray,” you’ll find tips on caring for silver hair (complete with homemade hair care recipes) and how to complement your silver hair with clothing and makeup.

Along with the photos and techniques, there are dozens of stories of the amazing transformation these real women experienced–way beyond the hair on their heads: embracing new relationships, careers, and confidence.

EDITION
Paperback

MY BOOK REVIEW:

I think every woman worries about this at some point in her life, whether she is graying prematurely or later in her life when she is covering her gray roots.  I found this book rather fascinating to read, but for my life I cannot understand why some of these women preferred to look older than they actually had to. Sure, sure, some of you will say that not all look old and some even look great and I agree. I completely understand freeing up oneself from the costly dyeing and upkeep of hair, and how bothersome letting roots show can be.
I come from a family that is notorious for premature graying, mostly the men though. What I noticed that the book didn’t cover too much is that there are actually two types of graying. There is the snow white “graying” that my dad became early. It’s actually the nicer of the two. Then, there the gunmetal gray, that all it accomplishes is making a person look old. Plus, if you note, a lot of the women have amazing features, high cheekbones, bright eyes, lovely attributes that keep the woman looking relative young looking. What about those who are blessed with a rounder face, sagging jowls, what about them? Or, how about those with a few extra pounds? Trust me, gray is not flattering.

I think some gray with complimentary tones gray with black, gray with white, those looked fantastic. But not all of us have the skin tone for it.  While interesting and liberating, I think this book is somewhat unrealistic and fanciful. After all, not all of us are silver model worthy. Kudos to those women who did this and yes, with makeup artists and fashion experts, they do look just wonderful! But I think when my time comes, I’ll just think twice about doing the silver thing.