ReWired

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

It was fine. I wouldn't say it's anything new to the YA world but it was fine. It was engaging enough to read until the end.
This is an interesting book for young readers and it definetely gives consideration to many issues at large in our technological society such as hacking and online privacy. When Ada is caught hacking by the FBI, she is sent by her senator father to a reform school called ReBoot, the same school her friend was sent to before she committed suicide and Ada blames for her death. She must now survive a new school while simultaneously tracking down information about what happened to her friend. The characters, including Ada can make some stupid choices at times, making parts of the book difficult to read, but teenagers often do so in life as well.
Murder mystery. Hackers. And the sort of wholesome friendship we deserve to see more of. Rewired is simply an incredibly fun read full of intrigue and a look into the effect we have on technology and — more interestingly — the effect it has on us.

Rewired is centred around a girl named Ava — a teenage hacking extraordinaire who gets ratted out to the police after infiltrating the database of a high profile company. So she’s given a choice— jail time, or a facility named Rewind that specialisies in reforming kids who abuse technology and are, in their opinion, addicted to it.

There’s a catch, of course — this place is the last place Ava’s hacker best friend went before unexpectedly commiting suicide... and maybe Ava can figure out why if she goes.

Of course, this is only just the beginning of Ava’s troubles at Rewind...

Overall, I quite enjoyed this book. I also adore the idea of Rewind helping technology addicts. When I first got to learn more about the facility, I scoffed at the idea (I mean technology addicts, really?). Yet it wasn’t long before I saw that these characters actually did need this place, and maybe even the real world could learn a thing or two from Rewind too.

As for the characters themselves, well, that’s where this book really shines. No two  characters are the same — each is incredibly unique, and incredibly dysfunctional. Some of them are sweet, and some of them are incredibly dramatic and VERY extra, yet they are willing to work together and support each other in a way that shows how important it is to rely on the ones who care about you when you need it. The loyalty and friendship amongst this family of misfits is what made this book for me!

That being said, there were a few let downs. Some of the plot twists were rather predictable, and the villains logic itself could be convoluted at times — I mean, there were much easier ways to get what he wanted. There’s also the fact that Ava is shown to be pretty smart, yet instantly believes a lie that is, frankly, a little obvious. Then you also have a character that is pretty sweet, but turns out her backstory of what she did to get sent to Rewind is kinda messed up. Who we are shown, and then what we are told about what she did, seem to show two VERY different characters. And yet what she did will be glossed over very quickly.

Yet despite these flaws, Rewind proves to be a fun and easy read that you’ll thoroughly enjoy — and filled with characters you’ll simply adore by the end.
There seem to be so few techno thrillers, especially in YA, and after reading this, I'm not sure why! A really awesome read that had me drawn in not only by the cover, but the comps: Heist Scoiety meets Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Seriously, definitely recommend if you're interested in techno thrillers!
I'm shocked it took Johannes four years to write this book.
Unfortunately, the characters were flat and cliché and the plot was dragged out longer than it should have been. Unfortunately we are stuck in Ada Lovelace's head which made everything ten times worse. She's self-centered and very often cruel to the people she calls friends, and honestly, just plain stupid. Oh and throw in random girl-girl hate because they like the same boy. That never happens in the real world.
Also, yes we get it social media = bad blah blah blah ugh.
Maybe I should just stop reading books that have plots mainly involving a rehab-type situation. So far, authors just don't seem to get that they need to be respectful about suicide, addiction and all that shebang.
Overall, I'm just disappointed. The end of the book seemed like it was setting up a sequel, but I don't think I'll be picking it up.
Overall, the book was interesting enough. It was a quick ready for me so it would be good for students wanting a longer chapter book while still being able to follow along without being bogged down with big words and complicated scenarios.

The is book is about a teenage hacker, Ada,  who just happens to be a senator daughter. After being caught trying to hack into a large social network, Ada is sent to a school called Reboot to rehabilitate her life to focus more on life and less on technology. Ada’s best friend had just completed a stint a Reboot, and then tragically committed suicide the day after her release. Ada, still in morning over her friend, has disconnected with the real world and has no other friends besides her online hacking group. During her time at Reboot, Ada begins to unravel information that leads her to believe that her best friend’s suicide may not have been just that. Along the way, she meets some interesting characters and begins to form the “in person” relationships that have been missing from her life.
Wasn’t sure about this one at first and even though the story was good enough to read the whole thing, it still fell a little short for me. I would still recommend readers to give it a try and see if it’s a better fit for them.
Maybe it's because I'm too old for this type of book, but I couldn't get past about a quarter of the way through. I'm really not a fan of dependent characters, i.e. "if ___ was here" etc. I'm also not a fan of the internal-monologue-except-oops-i-said-it-out-loud trope. It's really childish and honestly, nobody does that. I was very interested by the concept of this book, but the writing style is too juvenile for me to power through it. Once again, I don't know if that's because of my age (20), or if it's because the writing really just is rubbish.
Fast paced, great syfy world building, and intriguing writing style.
The thriller side to it was very nice, you don’t see many stories like it so it was very surprising how on the edge of your seat it felt. The characters struggled but always managed to sort of come back from it and push on. I’d much enjoy going back to this one again.
Of course, this type of content, computers and such, is becoming increasingly popular. I liked the story and the characters.
ReWired tells the story of a senator's daughter, Ada, who happens to be a ridiculously skilled hacker. She's part of a group of hackers known as the Orwellians, and they can get into almost anything if they put their skills to good use. The only downside? Ada's senator father is determined to pass a bill for teen privacy on the internet. Having a hacker daughter doesn't exactly look good for him and his bill. Lucky for him, no one knows about Ada or her skills...or so she thinks.

Ada eventually gets caught for something minor (even though she's pulled off worse things) and is sent to a rehab facility in the middle of nowhere. Seriously, this place is like something out of the 1800s or something. No tech is allowed, according to the director of the facility, Ms. Matthews. But that doesn't mean the kids who are there won't try and sneak some tech (or other goodies) in.

Unfortunately, ReBoot, the rehab center, isn't all it's cracked up to be. Kids are dying, supposedly by suicide, not long after they leave. But the suspicious deaths spur Ada into action. Will she discover the truth before it's too late?

Okay, now that I'm done recapping, I have to say I really enjoyed this one. It's got a mystery, suspense, and geeky tech speak that will appeal to young adult (and adult) readers, even if they aren't exactly savvy when it comes to technology.

I thought Ada was an interesting character. She was a good kid who just wanted to do the right thing, even if it meant going about it in a not so legal way. She seemed loyal, like she'd be a good friend, although she did, understandably, have trust issues. She was smart, she was capable of taking care of herself (mostly), and she even made time to test the waters when it came to romance.

I also really liked the characters you meet at ReBoot. Varian comes off as a jerk for most of the story, but trust me, he's anything but. Fisher comes off as a snarky, yet sweet sort of guy you can't help but like. Becca seems like a stereotypical "dumb cheerleader" but she proves she can kick some serious booty when she has to. And Crash is a shy, quiet type who just wants to heal from his past mistakes. He's a good kid. There's also Raven, but I feel like I didn't care about her either way.

The plot starts off a little slow, but it builds relatively quick, and once it gets going, it's definitely one heck of a thrill ride. I couldn't put it down, and once it ended, I was like, wait! I need more!

If you're into YA thrillers with a hint of romance, definitely check out ReWired. It's a really good read that will leave you eager to discover the truth, and when you do, it'll make you rethink everything when it comes to being online.

I rate it 4.5 stars.
This was a fun fast paced read with a few surprises, I would happily read more by this author, as it seems like she has more in store for this tale.
This was totally my type of book! I really enjoyed this story, so much that I put off anything without an immediate deadline until I had finished it. Ada was a unique character who made a few dumb, unbelievable choices but who overall was a strong character. She really grew throughout the story. That said, the romance between her and Fisher wasn't all that realistic. I'm usually not bothered by relationships, but this one started pretty much out of the blue with no warning. There were also quite a few derogatory comments made by the characters that were somewhat disturbing. Relationship aside, Fisher was very sweet and his family connections fit well into the story. Crash was another fun person to get to know. I didn't see his place at the end of the book coming. The plot was very interesting and kept me engaged until the very end. There were some plot twists, most of which I knew would happen but a few that I didn't. That's pretty cool, since I read hundreds of books a year and have seen just about everything. I would recommend this book to just about anyone, especially people who love reading about modern technology. I wish I had found this gem years ago.
Interesting book for the younger reader - very on trend in the current climate.

Book is reasonably consistent throughout and offers a fun perspective on "hacking" issues - both technically and in terms of morality.

An enjoyable read - I found the ending to be a little rushed - assumed to be a one-off book rather than the precursor to a series.

Would recommend.
I want to start off by saying as an avid reader, and much of my books being Young Adults books, I have seen almost every trope, every kind of relationship, and pretty much every conflict you see in books like these. This book, however, took me by surprise. I fully expected it to be mediocre, and too similar to things I've seen before. While some of it definitely follows the same path, this book had me enticed and hooked from the beginning. The pace is never slow, but not bogged down with too much going on, either. It's pace was perfect for the story, and many times I thought I was farther along in the story just due to how much had happened in such a small space of time. The author definitely smashed it with the character development, making you feel for every character, even the ones who seem "bad" at first. The relationships were fleshed out well and you really feel like you are in the main character's shoes. This book will keep you on your toes, and never fails to surprise. I am happy to give this book full stars, for being able to keep me so interested in the story that not a single part of the story felt like a chore. I will definitely be reading more from this author in the future!
Ada Lovelace is a sixteen-year-old hacker known by the name of Dark Angel. She is so good at hacking that she is a part of the Orwellians, a well-known gang of hacktivists. Her father is a prominent senator who is trying to get an online privacy bill for teens passed. And, if she gets caught her father’s reputation and bill are at stake. Her depression and overall demeanor in school are in question, due to the suicide of her best friend Simone. Ada blames Simone’s suicide on Reboot, a technology addiction treatment center. When Ada is arrested by the FBI, her parents choose to send her to ReBoot. But, both the staff and residents have bizarre behavior. And, there is a history of recent releases ending up dead. Could something more sinister by happening? This is a very enjoyable, suspense novel that teens will love. Read-a-likes: Little Brother, WarCross, The Eye of Minds, Brain Jack.
Did not finish.

I expected more from this story after reading the blurb, but I did not like the main character and I could not connect with her. It is aimed at a very young audience I believe, rather than the teen audience I was expecting.
Rewired

by S. R. Johannes

Rating: ♥♥♥♥

Pages: 281

Publisher: Coleman&Scott

Publishing Date: August 27th 2017

Synopsis:

Sixteen-year-old Ada Lovelace is never more alive and sure of herself than when she's hacking into a "secure" network as her alter ego, the Dark Angel. In the real world, Ada is broken, reeling from her best friend Simone's recent suicide. But online, the reclusive daughter of Senator Lovelace (champion of the new Online Privacy Bill) is a daring white hat hacker and the only female member of the Orwellians, an elite group responsible for a string of high-profile hacks against major corporations, with a mission to protect the little guy. Ada is swiftly proving she's a force to be reckoned with, when a fellow Orwellian betrays her to the FBI. To protect her father's career, Ada is sent to ReBoot, a technology rehab facility for teens...the same rehab Simone attended right before killing herself.

It's bad enough that the ReBoot facility is creepy in an Overlook-Hotel-meets-Winchester-Mansion way, but when Ada realizes Simone's suicide is just one in an increasingly suspicious string of "accidental" deaths and "suicides" occurring just after kids leave ReBoot, Ada knows she can't leave without figuring out what really happened to her best friend. The massive cyber conspiracy she uncovers will threaten everything she cares about--her dad's career, her new relationship with a wry, handsome, reformed hacker who gets under her skin, and most of all--the version of herself Ada likes best--the Dark Angel.

Mini - Review:

It took me a long time to get my heart to read this book, cause I`ve never read a tech-thriller before and I was frightened as hell to dislike it. And to be honest the beginning was hard and the first half of the book was slow burning and cooking, to erupt in flames and explosions in the second half and left me with a racing hard, biting lips and hoping for a happy end. The story was so new and also relevant for our daily life it was a lot more than surprising. The topic of teenage private rights and hackers against the big companies sounds just like the late night news am I right? We are not so far away from this fictional work.

The idea of a teenage girl corrupting her own dad with her hacking and getting into a rehab facility like a junkie was something Ive never read about before and I was a total sucker for it. I loved all the girlpower vibes in this books and especially Becca was my favorite person of the world in it. Kick - Ass barbie with some serious aggression problems? Sign me in! But Ada herself was also such a great and authentic character and her witty responses to my darling Fisher often took me by surprise. The characters were complex and relatable and I would have loved to read a to more about their "gang", cause in the end I adored them that much.

First I thought I would dislike the mixture of teenage book, thriller and hacker reality, but in the end I was so stoked I could feel blood and ash on my lips and did not want the book to end, because I had all of theses characters in my heart now. I am not often surprised in the second half of a book, and If I could chose I would only take the second half of it with me on a lonely island to be surprised and pumped in with adrenaline, over and over again. Reading this felt like watching a great action - movie. So pick it up and see for yourself :)

(August 26th 2018)
When I first started ReWired by S. R. Johannes, i didn't think that I would finish it. I felt at the beginning of the book that this wasn't something I would typically be interested in. Though, almost immediately I was hooked. It grabbed my attention right away and I just couldn't put it down. I believe that all the talk about hacking in this book might get overwhelming for some, but the story in between is what really drew my attention.

Ada is just a teenage girl mourning the loss of her best friend; and she will do anything to get to the bottom of what truly happened. Ada's trials and tribulations during her quest help her to see the bigger picture at the end of the story. I truly feel that she had to go through what she went through to get to where she was at the very end.

This book was very creatively made and I would recommend it to any geeks or nerds who love a little sappy romance intertwined!
This book seriously had everything! Captivating thriller with an intriguing plot line, engaging characters and fantastic writing!

Teenage Hacker, Ada Lovelace, may not seem like anything special, aside from being a senator's daughter. However, online she lives a secret life as Dark Angel in a hacktivist group. After she is caught for a hack, she is sent to be reformed at ReBoot, the same place her long time best friend, Simone, spent time right before committing suicide. Here, Ada realizes there may be something more to Simone's death and tries to figure out what this place is hiding. Along the way, she meets new friends who she skeptically tries to separate: friend or foe. With multiple teens ending up dead after attending ReBoot, it is essential she doesn't trust the wrong one...

I have never read anything from this author before, but I really loved her writing. It was very well written and obvious this wasn't her first book.

The plot line was fantastic. It was thrilling and fast paced and I could not put the book down until I finished it because I was so absorbed in the book. There were marvelous twists and turns throughout the book that kept me on the tip of my toes wondering what came next or who to trust. The ending was exciting and deliciously satisfying at the close of the book as loose ends were tied.

The characters: oh the characters! Or people? I don't even know. The author brought them to life so well I still feel like they are real coming from the euphoria of finishing this book. The characters were engaging and interesting and exciting and just so likable. I found them to be very dynamic as there was a lot of character growth for many of them. I found these characters to be some of the most full developed that I have encountered in the books I have read lately.

There is literally nothing about this book that I couldn't help but love. It was a great read and I am excited to dive into some of Johannes's other books since I loved this one so much.

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.