SEVEN-X

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 Aug 2019

A very dark take of the main character entering an asylum to discover hidden truths, while becoming enmeshed in his own horror.  I found the characters frightening well developed, and leaving me wondering what is truth when one is also in denial of their own faults of humanity.  Highly recommend this novel if you're okay with reading Christian doctrine.
Seven-x is a seriously disturbing book. I just had to keep reading to find out what will happen next. I’ve seen lots of movies and tons of books about demons and this was one of the best. The way Wech leads the reader through the horrible and impossible and crazy things that happen to the lead character is truly imaginative.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for my copy.
If you like creepy, seriously creepy books, this one is for you to try. Unfortunately it was too much for my liking.
1,5/5
Eddie Hanson is determined to find out the truth behind the disappearance of a death row prisoner: Annette Dodson. The tip he receives takes him to a behavioral health institution located in the middle of no where, just outside of Dell City, Texas. In order to get the story he wants, Eddie willingly commits himself to the center while he does video entries and writes journals to document his findings. But what Eddie finds there is not what he expected. Are the things he is experiencing true or an illusion (or rather delusion) created by those who run the facility?

Eddie begins to see and hear things that cannot be explain, although those running the center try to explain it as demons attacking and possessing those living there and trying to gain access to Eddie as well. They believe they are "helping" people like Annette Dodson by commanding the demons out of their bodies. They believe the criminals were possessed by these demons at the time of their crimes and have no recollection of the horrors they have committed. Eddie is skeptical about this and begins to believe everyone there is being drugged, himself included.

**Disclaimer ** This novel will chill you to the core. I have read numerous novels that have dealt with the occult and demonic possession, but never have I read a book like this one. If you have an active imagination, do not read this at night before bed.

Mike Wech does an excellent job with this novel. He has excellent use of various languages such as Latin, Hebrew and Greek. Rather than generically having the demons speak completely in English, he has them speaking languages they would be more familiar with. Having this element in the novel, this characteristic of the demons, adds to the chill factor of the novel. Another aspect that makes this a superb novel is much of the Biblical references don't come from the pastor or other members of the facility staff and occupants, but rather the demons themselves. Portraying that even demons and the fallen have knowledge and understanding of the Bible making it easier for them to deceive. One thing that I personally enjoyed was the underlying theme of once a demon is exorcised, it returns with 7 of it's buddies. This continues until the host is left worse than ever.

Throughout we hear of Ose and references are made to a leopard, but there is the feeling that not enough was done with either one. I would have liked to see more use out of Ose and his desire to capture Eddie's soul. There didn't seem to be too much development with the demonic characters just a few references to their actions and possessions, but we don't see the true nature of their evil. Ward E is still left a mystery, possibly to be explained in another novel? I wanted to see more of the spiritual battle that was supposed to be happening between the demons and those at the center, the Pastor included. He wasn't as much of a major character as I feel he should have been.

With all that being said, I cannot believe this is Mr. Wech's first novel. It was fantastically well written and kept me on the edge of me seat. I didn't want to put it down! I look forward to reading more from this talented author.
SEVEN-X is a bone-chilling exploration into the root of evil within us.
Freelance Investigative Reporter Eddie Hansen gets a tip on a missing death row prisoner, Annette Dobson, known as "The SIDS Killer." Eddie adamantly believes Dobson's execution was staged and that she was secretly shipped to a Behavioral Health Center in a remote location outside the small town of Dell City, Texas.
With the opportunity to break the story, Eddie voluntarily commits himself into the asylum. His journals, video diary and recordings leave a trail of breadcrumbs into a series of radical experimental procedures conducted on patients without their consent.
With proof that this vicious serial killer is alive, records of her forced exorcism and the impending birth of the child the world believes is dead, Eddie has the big story that will redeem his life and career.
But as Eddie dives deeper into his investigation, he is forced to confront his own demons, becoming an unwilling participant in the asylum's paranormal rehabilitation experiment.

This is the first novel in the SEVEN-X Series.
 A very intense and dark read.
Really enjoyed this and will be looking for more of these now.
It's a very fast paced read filled with demons and possession; gore and creepiness. Perfect recipe for horror novel.
Really enjoyed the world building in this.
Characters are very well written.
Recommend Reading.

Thank you to BooksGoSocial  and NetGalley for an advance copy . I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
I have tried numerous times to read this book and for some reason, I just could not connect to the story or the characters.  The writing was fine and Mike Wech is a good author, but this story did not grab me the way I expected it to.
Thank you to BooksGoSocial  and NetGalley for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.

Eddie Hansen is a freelance reporter investigating a story where death row inmates are secretly sent to a private asylum for experimental procedures after fake executions.  Eddie is volunteering to stay at the hospital in the guise of doing an article on the doctors running the facility.
There is a supernatural spin to this story.
I found this book to be very difficult to hold my attention. It appears to be a horror story but details seem to be very vague and I just wasn't connecting on any level to this book.
This is not my usual genre but I am glad to say that this is a very good read.
It's creepy, gory, horrific, full of demons and possession.  What more do you want from a horror story.
This book is fast paced, tense and atmospheric.  In places it was enough to have me sat on the edge of my seat.
I will definitely be reading more from this author.
Many thanks to Netgalley, the author and the publisher for the ARC of this book in return for my honest review.
This was a very intense, well written and interesting read. It kept me gripped from the beginning right through to the very last page. I can’t wait to read the rest of the books in the series.
Thank you to NetGalley, BooksGoSocial and the author, Mike Wech, for the opportunity to read a digital copy of Seven-X in exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.
I thought the book was really well written. I stayed up into the early hours of the morning just to finish it. The author had me gripped from the beginning.
Definitely well worth a read for fans of the genre.
I really loved this book!  Seven-X is one of those books that stays with you long after you read it. INTENSE!!! This is the best way to describe Seven-X.
It's deep, mystical, unsettling, haunting, tragic, funny at times and incredibly well written.
cant wait to read more from this author
Great read! Loved every second of it! I did not want to put it down, which is why I stayed up till 2 am reading this gem of horror. I recommend 100% if you like horror, thriller, and a mystery all mixed together.
I have a fondness for some horrors from way back when, as a little girl, my gran used to let me stay up late at her house to watch Hammer House of Horror films. This book reminded me of that a little but with a bit of American Horror Story (the mental asylum one)/Shutter Island thrown in. It’s a little bit bonkers but all the best stories are. I’ve reviewed books before where I’ve said I enjoy them most when the author throws everything in there. As long as all the loose threads are sewn up a book can be as full of twists and turns as the author can think of. This had a vague ending but not with the plot twists. Probably not worded that very well but trying to avoid the spoiler. It’s a great example of the unreliable narrator style.

And this kind of did that for me. The premise is simple, Eddie is a journalist that is trying to find out the whereabouts of a pregnant serial killer who should have been executed. He enters an asylum voluntarily but that’s where it starts all going wrong and not everything is as it seems. Eddie then has to confront his own demons (both real and possibly otherworldly – I have a feeling that bit is for the reader to decide) with terrifying results. I’m still not sure exactly who I trust out of all the characters.

The book hooks you in from the start and doesn’t let up until the very end. It also uses diary/transcripts which are some of my favourite types of prose. It’s just breakneck speed from beginning to end. And there is no real end. It ends with just as much mystery as it begins.

I read it in a day, I found it really hard to put down and I can’t wait to see what the proposed visual (TV/film) looks like
#SevenX #NetGalley

The book is incredible. Mike is able to submerge the reader into a universe of sorrow, terror and pure intrigue. The mystery and mysticism last until the last page. Excellent book!
4.5 Stars

Super creepy modern possession story.

This book is written as a serious of diary/audio/video entries from a journalist investigating a mysterious mental rehabilitation center. This style of writing really ramps up the suspense and makes it almost impossible to put the book down. It also gives us a potentially unreliable narrator so we can't be sure exactly what is happening.

This book is weird and creepy and intense from start to finish. An excellent take on possession, exorcism and the paranormal.

Although this book does have a lot of pop culture references. I'm not generally a fan of books which do this as I feel this can potentially age the book. There's also a feeling of not being in on a private joke if you don't get the pop culture reference, which is likely going to be true of many readers in just a few years.

I can absolutely see why this is a bestseller on Amazon and can easily see it becoming a modern classic of the genre. I'm so excited to see what else this author has in store for us.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with an eARC in exchange for an honest review
Thanks to NetGalley for a free review copy of this book.

Death row prisoners; weird, small town; strange priest; untrustworthy scientist; spirits; and a determined journalist trying to get to the bottom of a mystery surrounding said death row prisoners. Oh, did I mention that everything happens in a lunatic asylum? I hate lunatic asylums! Why did I choose this book, then? Because I wanted a scare.

I wasn't disappointed.  I loved Shutter Island, and there is an old abandoned lunatic asylum near where I live that has been converted to an antique centre and cafe! So i get the potential scares you can get from these places.

Written in the form of a series of journal entries and video and audio file transcripts, Seven-X hooks you almost immediately and doesn't let go. The story switches from giving the impression of Dr Haworth, the asylum director, being behind the patients' madness by playing mind tricks or pumping drugs through the air or food, to demons possessing the patients, to the main protagonist just being plain mad!

The copy I received was apparently a re-edited copy, but it could definitely do with a bit more. However, this was exactly what I was looking for when I chose the book.
I'm DNFing this at 51%. This feels much more like a "Christian" read than what I thought it was going to be, and that just doesn't fit well with me or what I expecting from it. Also (and primarily), the format of the book (audio logs, video logs, etc) is one that when I love it, I love it, but when I hate it - I hate it.

Nothing against the book, really. We just aren't meant to be together.
A freelance reporter, Eddie Hansen, goes undercover in an asylum to investigate the apparent cover up of a serial killer’s disappearance. What transpires is an okish thriller, that ends up being a little all over the place in terms of execution and delivery.

The plot seems to go nowhere for a long period of time, which given the short length of the book, results in a rushed ending. There are also few descriptions or a sense of world building, meaning the book relies heavily on a dialogue which is often stilted and hinders the development of any atmosphere the book was trying to create. Even within the dialogue portrayed, there’s little meaning in them, as Eddie aimlessly tries to work out the apparent mystery of what happened at the asylum - leading to pointless conversations that did nothing to improve character development. Because of the haphazard nature of the plot, I was also left confused several times as I had no idea what was going on, or what Eddie’s apparent motive for doing things was, because everything is so vague.

Eddie is also not a very likeable character, with little emotional depth and little to no character development. He seems to have an explosive personality, shouting constantly or lashing out, but without any descriptions as to his motives for acting a certain way, again I was left confused with regards to some of his actions.

I could see the potential here, and I do admire what the author was trying to do. Asylums and serial killers are an immediate selling point for creepy, thriller style books. I just think the writing style could have been a little neater and more polished to help the story flow better.
Eddie Hansen is a freelance reporter who signs in as a voluntary patient at a privately funded asylum.  Under suspicion of a cover up, he conducts an investigation into missing death row prisoners.  He believes they have been secretly transferred to the Uphir Behavioural Health Centre in Texas for unknown reasons.  Little does he know his own sanity and faith will be threatened as he works to confirm his suspicions.  What he sees and hears may even cost him his life.
Parts of this story left me feeling a little confused about what was going on and others really grabbed my attention.  On the other hand I think the author did a good job of creating a creepy, crazy, possessed sort of story and what better setting than an asylum.  This is a debut novel and the first in the SEVEN-X series.  I am sure readers will see some very interesting storylines in the future.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a free digital copy of this book in return for my honest review.
Well, be scared... Or not really. "Seven-X: Terror to the Seventh Power" is an entertaining enough short novel, with an interesting enough premise that, unfortunately, fails to deliver on its promises.

And all starts well enough. We have reporter Eddie Hansen, who is investigating some death row victims who seem to have been shipped to a secret institution, even though officially they have been executed and their bodies disposed of. Eddie got the information from a friend that went to investigate the place and disappeared and he thinks he can make loads of money with this investigation. Pretty soon he seems to discover secret dealings in the place, and strange things seem to be happening, while the 'owners' of the place keep telling him they are dealing with demon possession. Till here, all good. A mystery, a place out in the middle of nowhere, some demons (maybe)...

However, the delivery lacks and the plot is weak. After the good introduction, and Eddie's arrival to Uphir, we just get Eddie doing silly things, making risible mistakes, and shouting for no apparent reason at every corner.

The problem is that there is no clear character development. Forget all the secondary characters that are just there to further the plot. Center on Eddie Hansen. It is difficult to believe his journey, because there is no clear explanation of why what happens, well, happens. We see him shouting, or fighting, getting angry, but not why, and his explosions of anger make little sense if we don't really see why they should be happening. It all seems quite random, just to further the plot. And the demons... Don't start with the 'demons', because there is not a moment you will believe there are demons in the story, apart from reverend Billings telling you once, twice, or a million times, that there are demons in the story.

A big part of the problem resides in the writing. Mike Wech tries to make all easy to read and fast-paced, with videos, audios, blogs, and phone conversations to further the plot. However, along the way, the author has forgotten that just conversation a book don't make, and that we need some description, even some actions and situations. The book is basically Eddie talking to himself or to people, but with conversation that are shallow and have little meaning. Instead of Eddie analyzing the situation or describing things, it is Eddie saying: 'I'm gonna get lots of money, there is a secret here'. Once, it's fine, it's acceptable. But when he says the same thing on page 5, 24, 50, 57, etc., it becomes also repetitive.

On top of that, some moments it seems the book is preaching to the reader. Instead of making the reader wonder and discover, there it comes a sentence of the bible or some long diatribe by reverend Billings about demons. It makes the reader detach from the story and it feels like being hit on the head with a book... Hmm...