Book of Souls

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Feb 2018

This novel had so much potential, that opening chapter was amazing, and then it seemed o keep spiraling down the drain after that. There was also wayyyy to many pop culture references, I counted around 7 in one chapter alone, which speaks to the longevity of this book. 10 years from now no one will want to pick up this novel because they either wont understand all the references, or wont be able to connect to the book due to its already outdatedness.
Really good story line , characters were ok. I like that this YA story did not focus on any one giving up their V card.
I would read the next one.

I had taken a break from blogging due to a busy personal life, but I am back and I bring with you a book review! I wanted to like this book so much! The synopsis seemed so interesting, but I felt like I was just waiting for something to happen. I know the author wanted to set up the story but I was a bit bored. Nisha is a good character but the way people treat her is just despicable and I was so sad that she believed everything they through at her. The entire time I was screaming at her to grow a backbone. I really liked Blaze but he seemed almost too perfect and the almost instalove between Nisha and Blaze was too much. I will say the Mythology was great, Nightingale obviously did her...

See Full Review
Sorry but I couldn't get into the book at all. I tried though, I'm so sorry for my ADD brain.
I received an free ARC copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

No, I am sorry but I did not like this book.
- The characters were dull and annoying
- the plot was boring. I mean the setting was even clearly stated
- Too much reference to modern shows, I mean one reference on one page is okay. More than 5? Not okay. Its trying too hard for my liking.
- I just could not connect with it at all.
I was blown away by this book. I cant wait to see where book 2 takes us. It's a must read.

Where do I even begin with this book? For starters, I would say the blurb was way more interesting than the actual novel. Everything was just bad. I can't even find one redeeming quality about it. When I started reading, I was pretty excited to get into the story. I love YA fantasy novels and especially mythology inspired ones. Plus, the fact that it was about Egypt had me even more psyched. However, what I got was a book that was just dull and boring with absolutely irritating characters.

Firstly, this novel has no worldbuilding or plot. All we know is that it takes place in a town somewhere in America. There were no fantastical descriptions of otherworldly realms or dreams. The...

See Full Review

This book had a lot of potential but unfortunately fell flat. The story really had nothing to it, chapter after chapter it was just question after question and not in a good way. The author didn't give us substance or creativity to create our own questions because the writing just wasn't there and really, the MC asked the same questions every page I felt like I just zombie walked through the whole book. I didn't feel a thing for this book the author drew out everything and sucked it dry for the readers. The author really drew out everything so the reader really couldn't express anything for themselves. It was just spread so thin with little to no plot and the weird...

See Full Review
Once upon a time, I was obsessed with all things Egypt. Even now, ten years later, there are a few things I still find fascinating and this book pinged a few of them. If you love Egypt, especially the mythology, read this book now. Nadine has done a wonderful job of weaving the actual mythology into the story for a beautiful overall picture. I can't wait to see what book 2 brings and who we'll meet.

My only issue with this book was the pacing was sometimes slow, but I loved the story and characters enough that I needed to read through.

I honestly didn't have any high expectations for this book, but I also didn't expect to dislike it <i>this</i> much.

OH MY GOD THIS BOOK IS SUCH A MESS

The writing is not the best, the main character is childish and annoying, all the names in the book are probably meant to sound cool and exotic but they're just weird? (there are two characters called Shaggy and Scooby. that's all I'm gonna say about this matter), the romance is insta-love but on like, another level, IT'S WORSE THAN TWILIGHT. To be honest the number of twilight and fifty shades references is unhealthy. Also, what's up with the British dude blaming the dumbest things on the...

See Full Review

Book of Souls is a refreshing take on the intermingling of Egyptian myths and modern day society after Rick Riordan's Kane Chronicles. It is fortunately aimed at an older demographic and you can tell that Nightingale really did extensive research to keep the mythology as accurate as possible. One of the best parts of this book is that it had two of my favorite things: the supernatural and romance. And what a romance it was, spanning several centuries and lifetimes. However, while still peddling the Egyptian elements to the story, you can still easily follow the average life of the main character as she experiences high school, crushes, and bullying. Book of Souls also had a great cliff...

See Full Review
Let me start by saying I am sucker for a new spin on an old myth or legend. Sometimes these work really well and other times, well, not so much. This mash-up of Egyptian myth and YA love triangle drama worked well. The Author did a good job and interweaving the story-lines just enough that it wasn't predictable or borning. The story itself moves at a nice pace and the MC is not completely annoying, though she does have her moments, alas that is one of the pitfalls many YA books have for those of us not YA anymore. I am pretty curious to see where this book goes in the sequel, which means there was more than enough to hook me in book 1.

If death wants you, he’ll get you. Some cross his path sooner, others later. But we all rendezvous with the reaper at some point. He’s rarely as handsome as Joe Black, yet always as insidious as Michael Myers.

Nisha Blake doesn’t fit in, the locals call her the Angel of Death. Little do they know how close they are to being right. Death finds those close to Nisha. The friendly store clerk, her teacher, her friends, her neighbour, they all died in her presence. Not even her parents were safe.

Nisha is a complex, battered character. She is bullied and harassed constantly, she has suffered a phenomenal amount of loss, she has been traumatized by the deaths. She has night terrors, sleepwalks...

***4 Stars***

Not gonna lie, that cover was the hook. I saw it HAD to see what the book was all about and I don’t think I pressed that request button fast enough.

Angel of Death?
Has ties Egypt legend and lore?
Young girl believing she’s going crazy?
Hot as sin male joining the party?

Ummm...yeah sign me up and WHOA.

I expected some of the cray cray, but not ALL of that. I also didn’t expect to have my violent tendencies rear up and want to grab that spoon of mine to gut a few people, but that all happened and more as I followed Nisha on this crazy, twist and dark journey that pulled out all kinds of feels from me.

I loved Nisha, I did. This girl is surviving in a world that...

See Full Review
Incredibly cliched and poor writing. The writer depends heavily on telling rather than showing.
This is a great bpok for fans of rick riordan. Egyptian gods and teens?! It was amazing

I really wanted to like this book, because the premise of it sounded so cool! Ancient Egyptian gods meets modern day times? A girl who is considered an Angel of Death? Sign me up!

I got to chapter 6 and had to put the book down. One of the things I just couldn't get past were the pop culture references. At first, I thought it was pretty cool that they mentioned them, but by the time we were introduced to Scooby and Shaggy, (yes those are actual character names) I couldn't handle it anymore. It was a new reference every page and was just too much. It kept taking me out of the story and I couldn't enjoy what was going on because of it.

The other thing I couldn't really...

See Full Review
A little slow starting, I struggle with reading about bullying so I did have to stop at one point, but the characters are well written, the story flows easily, for an introduction it was good and damn that ending. Looking forward to the next one.
I loved this. Once I started, I couldn’t put it down. First, I loved the incorporation of Egyptian gods/goddesses. Its not something you come across very often in novels, so I found it quite intriguing. Second, full disclosure I tend to have a sort of love/hate relationship with YA, but this novel didn’t set off any of my normal irritations. I liked the characters. I liked the interactions, the portrayals, the relationships. I liked the pop culture and literary references. It ends on a major cliffhanger, so I’m looking forward to the next one. To sum up frankly, I just really enjoyed it.

I received a copy of this ARC through NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review
Argh, I feel like I have been waiting for this book forever!
I am fascinated by Egyptian mythology and have been to countless exhibitions, read a trillion National Geographic magazines and spoken at length with my aunty about it all as she has been obsessed for about 40 years...
Imagine my delight when I realised this book was all I'd been wanting and more!
I loved Nisha, she is such an awesome character and I loved all the things she says, thinks and references.
The plot is brilliant and captivating and I genuinely cannot wait for book 2. NOW PLEASE!
Thank you to Netgalley for the chance to read this book.