Girl, Wash Your Face

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Very interesting book. Full of insight and advice. A little out of my element, but I have heard good feedback from others.
I did not enjoy this book. The author's tone did not read authentically to me, and her advice seemed rather suited to her own life experiences than useful or effective at large.
I had been hearing so much about “ Girl, Wash Your Face”  by Rachel Hollis that I was super excited to dig in. I was waiting for some sound, motivational advice. Sadly, that was not what I received. Instead, what I got was someone talking down to me in an overly preachy manner. The author obviously has never had any major setbacks or problems in her life. I did not find it inspiring in the least. I’m a Christian but I’m not white, I’m not wealthy, I’m not  thin or able to be boxed in. All of these make up a great portion of this book and leaves no room for anything else. A very ignorant outlook on life that belittles the reader. I would not and do not recommend.

* I received this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review*
I’ve heard mixed reviews on this book.  I was interested in checking out what all the buzz was about.  It was a quick read with some chapters that spoke to me, and a few that didn’t. The advice was generally not earth-shattering, but it’s always a nice reminder to give yourself a little grace.  Rachel is no doubt a motivated person and she offers life notations with uplifting vibes.

Overall, I am really glad I read this book. Rachel’s drive, persistence, and motivation are an inspiration.
I was not impressed with the writing, nor did I feel like the advice was researched or valid. There were generic all encompassing mantras without giving depth to issues that were seemingly being addressed.
I had been hearing about this book and was very interested in reading it. I have been a fan of Rachel Hollis and I feel like she wrote this book in a realistic way. She breaks down the lies that she believed about herself so that the reader can identify with them.

There are several things that I am taking away from this book and using in my daily life. I felt drawn to some of her stories and enjoyed the underlying religious aspects. There were several things that I didn’t enjoy about this book. I felt like there was a lot of humble  bragging (Mentioning something once or twice is sufficient.) and I had some issue with decisions that she made regarding an abusive situation, but I also try to keep in mind that it is her life and her choice and it is working for her.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this book. I really enjoy Rachel and I look forward to reading her next book.
I decided not to read this book after coming across and reading a detailed article titled "Why not to read Girl, Wash Your Face". I didn't intentionally look for it, but I was typing "reasons why not to read..." and the book was the first suggestion google offered me, and curious as I was, I clicked and read the article. It was very thorough and quoted from this book to prove certain points, so, with total certainty, I can say I won't enjoy this book as much as I should to make the effort to read it.

I was expecting to find general advice like "you shouldn't believe the lies of the beauty industry" and stuff like that, but after finding out what the book is really about, I am simply not gonna invest my time in reading something that's catered exclusively for middle-class white mums. I have already read a lot on the "chase your dreams" and "you can do anything" spectrum of self-help, so I don't really need more.

Honestly, if you want to take a good look at the message of the book, I recommend reading the article, and only if you see no problem with the core of ideas the author defends, then proceed to read the book.
Overall, I really liked this book! It's a positive message that I feel many women can relate to. No, I didn't agree with everything that the author said, but it was still a good book. I shared my full review on Goodreads.
For me, this book was part entertaining, part skimmable, part useful. It was useful in that some of Rachel’s guidance resonated with me and altered my often negative thought patterns so I found myself highlighting sentences on my Kindle for future reference to scribble into my journal for personal development.. I say the book was partly skimmable because as a mother of grown up children, no strong belief in God and having never been much of a career chaser I wasn’t quite so drawn to parts of the book as other readers might be. It has to be said though, that references to God we’re not off putting in any way. Lastly, it was entertaining, the author has an inviting writing style which makes her book easy and enjoyable to read. I’m grateful to NetGalley and publisher for providing a digital copy for me to review.
I had seen Rachel's books on book lists for a while now.  I saw her name pop up online but I hadn't been bothered to check her out.  This January I started a weight loss challenge and one night I found myself looking for some inspiration.  I can't remember the exact quote I stumbled upon but the jest of it was that what I want right now is not more important than my bigger dream/goal.  It's a quote that I have used for months now.  I want to stay home and not go to gym - not part of my goal.  I want to eat a Timbit - not going to get me to my goal.

Girl, Stop Apologizing is a book that women will find a chapter that they can relate to. Rachel's writing is funny and casual like a conversation.  Topics range from weight, religion, friendships, children and more.  She's not afraid to get uncomfortable and tackle some tough topics either.

If you are looking for some inspiration or someone to let you know you don't have to regret that choice from last year you are still questioning then pick up Girl, Stop Apologizing at Chapters today.
If a book ever felt like coffee with your best friend this is that kind of book. Girl Wash Your Face sounds like it’d be a beauty book about facial cleansing products, but it’s more than reminding you to keep beautified. Rachel talks about the lies we’ve believed as women socially and within the church. She also, shares stories from her life that aren’t easy to publicly talk about. Some of the topics she tackles are: contentment, sex, motherhood, body image, and so, much more.

Rachel, to me, comes across through her book as one of those pretty, put together ladies who looks all coiffed and perfect, but I know she’s like all of us with everyday struggles. I can understand her love of Los Angeles and California in general. There’s something about Hollywood that has a dreamy, fairytale appeal. I’ve been in the audience of a kid’s show when I was in grade school. That experience ripped off my rose colored glasses on what the entertainment industry can be like. My dreams of acting got a rude wake up call. I can relate to her wanting a name brand purse because once I discovered Poshmark, watch out purse addiction. For some reason I fell in love with the brand Dagne Dover. Rachel goes beyond skin deep in what she personally shares.

I received a complimentary digital copy of Girl Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis from Thomas Nelson via NetGalley. The views expressed are of my own accord and mine only. I enjoyed this book so much I bought myself a physical copy to keep. This book is a short read, but full of a lot of empowerment. I can’t wait to go read her novels she wrote. Keep up writing Rachel. I want to read more of your work.
I decided to review this book when I learned Rachel was a Christian and I knew many non-believers were reading her book. So I was curious what all the fuss was about.

Before I even started reading this book I did a bit more research on Rachel and my view became a bit bent. There are many people who criticize her.

After reading this book I have to say I think her book is really more for the non-believer or the new believer. There isn’t  much depth. But I think it is good for what it is. I think a believer needs to know that going into it. If you are looking for something deeper don’t read this book.

I think she has a platform and who knows maybe she will reach someone with the truth of the gospel that is sprinkled in this book.

I appreciated her true stories from her own life and how she has overcome her struggles. No one is perfect even if they appear to be on the outside.

I do wish there was more emphasis on the fact that the only way to true happiness is through Jesus. She says only you can make you happy. If I had to rely on myself I would have no hope. In choosing Jesus I can be happy, apart from Him everything else is meaningless.

A copy of this book was given to me through Netgalley.com. All opinions are my own.
Thank you to NetGalley and Rachel Hollis for allowing me to read and review Girl, Wash Your Face. I didn't enjoy this book.
Thank you so much for this ARC!

While I appreciate the approval, I just could not get through this book completely. Giving it three stars to remain neutral.
I'm torn on this one. On one hand, this book is for privileged white women with no real problems but the ones they make up for themselves. For rich white women who's husbands has made so much money that you don't have to worry about bills. Who have cars, and a house with a large kitchen, multiple kids and who go to the PTA meeting. On the other hand, you can extrapolate anything from self-help books if you look for it. There's something to be said about a different perspective, for inspiration from someone who lives a different kind of life than you. I am generally not a fan of "mommy-blogger" or "social media influencer" content. It's also a very christian book. So much so it's not in self-help but in the christian/religion section of my store. There are problems with this book. She justifies diet culture through religion, she justifies material things and equates them to happiness and success, she is blissfully unaware of her white privilege (ie substance abuse, appropriating language from african american culture, success via material success and red carpet evenings).

However, if this is your first foray into "Boss Babe" culture and movement, there's inspirational things to take from it. Get up earlier. Get more done. Drink more water. Workout more. Gratitude daily. You may get something out of this. You may not. If you are a privileged women, who has some insecurities, this book is for you. If you are a regular woman, who was interested in finding a deeper and more authentic sense of joy in your life, this book is not for you.
A feel good self help book with each chapter headed with a lie we tell ourselves. What follows then is an anecdotal filled essay on why that is a lie. For example, I need a hero is countered in summary that you already are your own hero. The narration has a down home y'all feel to it that reads easily and quickly. Scripture is included but this is not overcome with religion. An author I would read more from.

Copy provided by the Publisher and NetGalley
I absolutely loved this book. I was laughing and crying and even crying with laughter. Rachel Hollis is a fantastic storyteller whilst at the same time an inspirational writer. I honestly think that everyone needs to read this book. It's so easy to let the lies of the world fill our head. Instead we need to remind ourselves of the truth. We are enough and we can do this.
Rachel Hollis your book is so motivating. I need this on paperback. One thing I learned is never give up on myself. You are one wonder writer.
I tackled this book more than a year after its release and long after the buzz about it. I chose to 'see for myself.' I have not followed the author online or on social media before this so I came with a clean slate and no expectations...But I am happy to say that I think it lives up to the reviews and ratings. This book is based on the author's life which she relates in an easy to read way, yet the lessons that she hopes we will learn from are clearly stated. The insights at the end of every chapter on what helped her are truly helpful.

The book is very inspiring because of her vulnerability, and the wisdom she gleaned from her experiences. As opposed to just letting life happen TO her, the author has really been mastering the art of making things work for her in one way or another. She often does this by reframing the way she looks at things and she just keeps going, trying, getting up and doing it again. She seems to have the grit factor which will lift up and encourage others. Even the chapters that didn't relate to me (for example, parenting/mothering) had wisdom that I could appreciate as helpful for many others.
This book is very personal to the author so don't expect to relate 100% to her perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. However, the wisdom in many of her conclusions is worth reading. This is a book I would definitely gift to girlfriends.
A life changing book. I didn't know how much I needed this book until I read it.
I genuinely believe every women and especially every mother and working mother, needs to read this. It will change the way you think and open doors you didn't realize were closed in your own mind.