Cover Image: Girl, Wash Your Face

Girl, Wash Your Face

Talk about a pep talk from someone who loves you most! This book will inspire you to be your very best self!
This was an awe-inspiring book to read!!  I was so excited after reading this to see her in real life because this book is so motivational.  She is in your face and so blunt about it but she's also blunt about herself.  Whatever she puts out there for someone else - she puts out there about herself.  I found that to be extremely refreshing.  We can't do it all and we try all the time and our internal dialogue is what gets us the most.  I really want to gift this out to everyone.  Even men because they need to know how we think and feel.  We don't always walk around and tell them everything.  It's one of those things that we harbor and keep when we should give it up.  I would rate this 10 stars if I could.  I wouldn't say that this book is for under a certain age because there are topics that are talked about that are a little adultish.  So keep that in mind.
"Understanding that you choose your own happiness, that you have control of your own life, is so important."

"You are more than you have become."

"Sadness and pain are things you have to sit with and get to know or you'll never be able to move on."

"Moving doesn't change who you are. It only changes the view outside your window."

"Comparison is the death of joy, and the only person you need to be better than is the one you were yesterday."

"You should spend more time doing the things that feed your spirit: more long walks with your dog, less volunteering for that thing you feel obligated to do but actually hate."

"Our own negative self-talk can be more damaging than the emotional abuse heaped on us by a hateful parent."
This book was motivating, inspiring, funny, and full of raw honesty.  Hollis's sense of humor and writing style is extremely relate-able, and I enjoyed a glimpse into her life, which is really "just like us"! She makes some very great, very real points that all women, heck, all people, should take heed of, but this in particular: Hollis says her life is not perfect, and the stories and truths she shares back that up, so she said it bothers her when people assume her life is perfect judging from her social media posts or photos-- nobody's life is perfect, but if you find happiness in every day, you will be (and look) happy (and stop comparing yourself to others). Definitely a great book to read and share with your friends.
Such a timely book. I'm recommending it to everyone! I laughed, I cried, and had so many a-ha moments. It's the book I didn't know I needed.
This was surprisingly enjoyable! I've seen this title on several different lists, but I didn't really know anything about it. I found Rachel's writing to be fresh, funny, smart and heartwarming. It was just the ticket on a rainy Saturday afternoon.
I was a little skeptical of this at first and expected it to be another trite girl power book, but I am glad I gave it a chance. I found it rewardingly honest, vulnerable and empowering. I appreciated Rachel's wit, her perspective, and her discussions of her growth. This book hit me at just the right time and made me remember the worth I have, and the power I have over my life. I highly recommend it to anyone feeling like they're in a slump.
"Life isn't meant to be merely survived--it's meant to be lived."
I fun yet insightful read full of great life pointers that everyone could use at some point. The writing made it such a fun and enjoyable read.
My coworker told me I needed to read this book and boy was she right! I loved every bit of it! Rachel did a fantastic job encompassing becoming a woman.
5 inspiring stars!

I loved reading this book. It's helped with self-esteem and confidence. I love it! Highly recommend!!

Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for my ARC. All opinions are my own.
“‎Girl, Wash Your Face” is absolutely life changing and Rachel Hollis is my new hero! I want to be her best friend and follow her around everywhere and learn how to do life like she does! She is no nonsense, pull no punches, hands down the best cheerleader any woman would ever want in their corner! I have this book in hardcopy, digital, and audio so I can have Rachel with me no matter where I am or when I need her. She is there 24/7/365 to give me a pep talk and point me in the right direction and scream in my face in the loveliest, most encouraging of ways. I cannot say enough amazing things about this book or its’ author. Rachel Hollis is every woman. She is humble and transparent and this book will make you better if you’ll let it.
If I could give this book more than five stars, I definitely would.  I had heard about this book from a friend and am going to a book signing that she is going to be the key note speaker at so I figured I should check the book out.  I am beyond happy that I did.  I have since bought both the book and the Audible version.  The book is INSPIRING.  I absolutely loved it.  I plan to re-read/re-listen and highlight the parts that spoke to me.  I absolutely love how relatable this woman is!!!  She legit appears to have her entire life completely put together, so I was floored to realize she has struggled with some of the same things I struggle with.  She is so incredibly real and authentic, I can't state that enough!  I laughed and cried during this book.  I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone that has ever had self doubt over anything in their life.
This is the perfect book to boost self esteem and escape the lies that we tell ourselves. The author has 19 chapters devoted to fallacies such as, I'm not good enough, I'm a horrible mother, friend, etc, and users examples to debunk this type of thinking. She also gives stories from her personal life on how she overcame the lies she told herself. Rachel is so down to earth  and I she left me feeling like I was chatting with an old friend. I highly recommend this book for a personal confidence booster.
"Life isn't meant to be merely survived--it's meant to be lived."

Wow! So a friend of mine recommended this book to me and being the fiction lover that I am, I put it off and put it off. I don't do a lot of nonfiction. WHY!? DON'T be like me, DON'T wait! Go to Target, Amazon, the library, your BFF's bookshelf, and get this book right now!

It doesn't matter what you're going through, what you think you AREN'T going through, this book covers it. She's honest, she's funny. I realized while reading that she is ME and she is YOU. Everybody needs a pick me up sometimes and THIS IS IT.

When I checked my notes on this book, I found myself highlighting every passage because they all spoke to me. I want to share them all but then you wouldn't get to experience the greatness yourself. Hollis' words will change you.

I'm going to be passing this book out like candy to everybody I know.
I vulnerable and honest look at some of the struggle and insecurities most women deal with.  This book is a good reminder that we all struggle, but we can overcome the lies that we tell ourselves.
I loved this book. Highly recommend the audio version, read by the author. It was funny, touching, honest, and inspiring. I will be reading it again and recommending it to others!
This book covers it all. Lies we tell ourselves about everything...relationships, weight, kids, work, etc. I'll admit some parts did not pertain to me in any way shape or form (don't yet have kids) yet I loved reading even those chapters. I honestly can't articulate how much I liked this book. My finger hurts from highlighting so much and you know it's good when you immediately buy a hard cover version because reading it just once won't cut it.

Seriously do yourself a favor and grab a glass of wine, a jug of water...no diet Coke though...turn on some 90's music as background noise and make this your next "to read" book.
1 like

June 6, 2018 – Shelved as: books-owned-hard-copy
June 6, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites
June 6, 2018 – Finished Reading

Post a comment »COMMENTS
No comments have been added yet.

Notify me when people comment

comment add book/author       (some html is ok)

(preview)
 Add to my Update Feed *
 Notify me when people reply *

BLOG THIS REVIEW
Copy/paste the text below into your blog.
Girl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies about Who You Are So You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be by Rachel Hollis
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Lie:
I don't need to read this book.

Since this book is pretty much based on lies the author...as well as millions of women around the world tell themselves...I wanted to share some truth bombs/confessions. Deep breath....here we go.

A summary of how I came to read this book.
I am a small business owner who uses Instagram and started seeing this book everywhere. Everyone and their mom was posting pictures of it. So I figured out I would research it first. First truth. I have the attention span of a two year old when it comes to reading non-fiction books. Give me a mystery or thriller and I am so lost in those kinds of books nothing is going to stop me.

However, reading non-fiction....lets just say every little thing...even my dog's breathing distracts me. Still, some self help books or whatever you want to call them are in my queue and dang it...I will get to them SOMEDAY.

After realizing this book was not called Girl, Wash Your Hair like I thought, I found that this is classified as a Christian self help book. Seeing that made me seriously second guess wasting time trying to get my hands on it. I am not very religious and reading mind numbing dribble about how religion solves everything is in truth, not my cup of tea. Or wine.

Plus, next truth, I had no clue who this girl was. "Oh.....this isn't the same girl as that famous HGTV person!?" I do like Disney though so after finding that out, I was pretty much sold.

Then I found an ebook and audio version at my library. So I was like, whatever, it's only like 200 hundred pages, and if I don't like it I'll just nix it and go back to my norm of reading about jilted ex wives with amnesia or something.

I was sucked in the very first page.

Hallelujah, someone admitted that they too shave their toes! When you find a writer who admits
to having little quirks you, a similar father and childhood, and notice the way they write is similar to how you speak/write/internal dialogue with yourself, you know you are going to soon become a creeper and feel like you are best friends.

The Lie:
I don't need to read this book.

A summary of how I came to read this book.

I was sucked in the very first page.

I think I wasn't the right target audience for this book. I hadn't heard of the author earlier but I kept hearing about the book and decided to bite.

The concept wasn't bad. But the stories were either a hit or a miss. I appreciated the author's honesty but was put off by a lot of it because of how weird some of the stories were.

All in all, I learnt nothing new but the author's writing was captivating enough that I finished this book.

I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange of a review.
This book was hit and miss for me. There was a lot of positive, helpful information but on the other hand, there was a LOT of what I took as bragging. The author can't seem to go more than a few pages without mentioning how she built a multi-million dollar company all by herself. She also endlessly mentions that she's a workaholic and a runner, which gets redundant by a few chapters in. But, as I mentioned above, I do think there's a lot of positive to take from this book. It's written in a light, fun prose that makes you feel like you're talking to a girlfriend. Less braggadocio would have bumped this to 4 stars.