Cover Image: Girl, Wash Your Face

Girl, Wash Your Face

Girl, Wash Your Face was my first audio book in a very long time....In my twenties as my career was getting started I used to spent my morning drive with Tony Robbins in the CD player in my car.. yes I know that dates me.

As Rachel started to talk I remembered those day, the days of focus, the days of crafting my own purpose.  I am now in my 40’s and it hit me I lost that a bit..... In the hustle of doing I needed this voice, what voice .... you might ask… MY VOICE.
This book helped me remember my voice, the voice that told me when I meet my husband he was the one (setting into place so much greatness in my life) the voice that drove me to start my own search firm when pregnant with our first son, and the voice that compelled me to speak up when my brother died by suicide

This post is ending up more about me than the book but I think that might be Ms Hollis' point this book is about how it affected the listener (reader).....

It occurred to me as I listened I somehow got lost in a bit, listening has me thinking of the amazing family vacation we just returned from, a vacation filled with laughs and lifetime memories, and also a vacation where there were countless photos of me not smiling because my head was filled with negative body imaging thoughts; I would I have double chin in the photo, would my arm look huge and when I wore a shorter dress the almost panic I felt for a full length photo fearing what would my ankle braces look like.  Those thoughts clouded my enjoyments and I see it now in those not smiling photos, the ones in the Shutterfly album but not in Unplugged post that I wrote for the blog about our amazing vacation.

Listening to Ms Hollis speak remind me to LOVE ME AS I AM; to accept the love around me and to embrace what my husband and I have build and to be thankful for our sons and our life. My size has nothing to do with that and though my chronic illness may interfere with my life at times I need to be grateful for what I can do and for those willing to help me when the pain is too much.

I paused the book a bit of the way in… paused.... because I was so profoundly touched by Ms Hollis’ openness about the loss of her brother to suicide and how it helping to shape her path.  I hopped onto Twitter and posted a Tweet about how touched I was.  I have no idea if Ms Hollis will ever see said Tweet but her sharing her story will help so many others, so if even one person sees the openness about the loss of her brother and it helps them… then that that was worth the pause.

I adored the chapters on being a working Mom...
It is a struggle I often battle and the reinforcement I heard was so helpful to me. The judgement put on working moms, judgement that father's don't seem to get, really allowed some of my guilt to diminish. It has also had me taking a hard look at the fact that sometimes like Ms Hollis said she did early on in her career I downplay what I do for a living when I think it might make other's uncomfortable. Our older son has even commented on it, once or twice  commenting Mom "they have no idea you run a successful business."

By the end of Girl, Wash Your Face I was to truly moved, left thinking and allowing myself to embrace all I have accomplished.  And re-setting my personal goals and envisioning what I want the rest of this journey called life to look like.

Did all the thoughts and words for me.. No.. But overall it was super thought provoking and one I highly recommend.

I also recommend following Rachel Hollis on Instagram.
I so touched by her post a few days about being away from her son on his birthday; the post was heartfelt and moving. For me it really resonated...  this post was a stark contrast to eye rolls and "how could you" comments I received the year I was away for our son's birthday in support of the work we do for the Keith Milano Memorial Fund. Ms Hollis' post was reminder that I should hold my head up high and be proud of the work we do for mental health awareness in his name.  The book as a whole also reminded me that not everyone who experiences traumatic loss moves forward and turns it into a mission. To date we have raised over 1 million dollars for the Keith Milano Memorial Fund and I have a new found pride for that.
Post like Ms Hollis' post from other working mom's speaking about the balance, the give and take, the decisions along the way make toward success lifts all of us up.

I did not rate this book, why you might ask well.... this listen isn't about what I think of it but WHAT YOU THINK of it... and what you take away from Rachel's words of wisdom and the very moving personal stories she shares in the book.
Author and media presence Rachel Hollis gives motivational stories, tips, and challenges, all liberally sprinkled with anecdotes from her own life- the good, the bad, and the ugly, as well as some funny too. A must read for women who enjoy Jen Hatmaker, Shauna Niequist, and Beth Moore.
Thank you to Net Galley and Thomas Nelson Publishing.  Girls:  GET THIS BOOK. First, the e-ARC was given to me in exchange for my honest review.  Okay.  I somehow hadn't reviewed this yet, but maybe it's because I was so moved, so inspired, that I was telling everyone about it. Truth. I told all my female relatives, 16 to 55 (me), that I don't often demand anything.  I demand they read this book.  It's honest, it speaks truths, it is one that unicorn that I will revisit often. I have already pre-ordered her upcoming title, I've subscribed to her podcasts and she's also set me on the path to find other amazing women who can help improve our lives (Body Love for one.)  I honestly think any age, any woman will find jewels in this book that will help them.  Weirdly, I also found out she'd come from the Bakersfield area...me too! (she's much younger, but whatever.) Please, do yourself a favor, get this book.
This book had a lot of hype around it so I was nervous it wouldn't hold up, but it really did. Hollis wrote in such an honest and refreshing way and I really did enjoy this book. Her stories about meeting her husband, and going through the adoption process were super personal, vulnerable and heartbreaking, but they really carried alot of weight and took this book to the next level for me. a deduction of 1 star only because there were a few chapters on motherhood i couldn't relate too and kind of skipped over. Otherwise, super!
Talk about a pep talk from someone who loves you most! This book will inspire you to be your very best self!
This was an awe-inspiring book to read!!  I was so excited after reading this to see her in real life because this book is so motivational.  She is in your face and so blunt about it but she's also blunt about herself.  Whatever she puts out there for someone else - she puts out there about herself.  I found that to be extremely refreshing.  We can't do it all and we try all the time and our internal dialogue is what gets us the most.  I really want to gift this out to everyone.  Even men because they need to know how we think and feel.  We don't always walk around and tell them everything.  It's one of those things that we harbor and keep when we should give it up.  I would rate this 10 stars if I could.  I wouldn't say that this book is for under a certain age because there are topics that are talked about that are a little adultish.  So keep that in mind.
"Understanding that you choose your own happiness, that you have control of your own life, is so important."

"You are more than you have become."

"Sadness and pain are things you have to sit with and get to know or you'll never be able to move on."

"Moving doesn't change who you are. It only changes the view outside your window."

"Comparison is the death of joy, and the only person you need to be better than is the one you were yesterday."

"You should spend more time doing the things that feed your spirit: more long walks with your dog, less volunteering for that thing you feel obligated to do but actually hate."

"Our own negative self-talk can be more damaging than the emotional abuse heaped on us by a hateful parent."
This book was motivating, inspiring, funny, and full of raw honesty.  Hollis's sense of humor and writing style is extremely relate-able, and I enjoyed a glimpse into her life, which is really "just like us"! She makes some very great, very real points that all women, heck, all people, should take heed of, but this in particular: Hollis says her life is not perfect, and the stories and truths she shares back that up, so she said it bothers her when people assume her life is perfect judging from her social media posts or photos-- nobody's life is perfect, but if you find happiness in every day, you will be (and look) happy (and stop comparing yourself to others). Definitely a great book to read and share with your friends.
Such a timely book. I'm recommending it to everyone! I laughed, I cried, and had so many a-ha moments. It's the book I didn't know I needed.
This was surprisingly enjoyable! I've seen this title on several different lists, but I didn't really know anything about it. I found Rachel's writing to be fresh, funny, smart and heartwarming. It was just the ticket on a rainy Saturday afternoon.
I was a little skeptical of this at first and expected it to be another trite girl power book, but I am glad I gave it a chance. I found it rewardingly honest, vulnerable and empowering. I appreciated Rachel's wit, her perspective, and her discussions of her growth. This book hit me at just the right time and made me remember the worth I have, and the power I have over my life. I highly recommend it to anyone feeling like they're in a slump.
"Life isn't meant to be merely survived--it's meant to be lived."
I fun yet insightful read full of great life pointers that everyone could use at some point. The writing made it such a fun and enjoyable read.
My coworker told me I needed to read this book and boy was she right! I loved every bit of it! Rachel did a fantastic job encompassing becoming a woman.
5 inspiring stars!

I loved reading this book. It's helped with self-esteem and confidence. I love it! Highly recommend!!

Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher, and the author for my ARC. All opinions are my own.
“‎Girl, Wash Your Face” is absolutely life changing and Rachel Hollis is my new hero! I want to be her best friend and follow her around everywhere and learn how to do life like she does! She is no nonsense, pull no punches, hands down the best cheerleader any woman would ever want in their corner! I have this book in hardcopy, digital, and audio so I can have Rachel with me no matter where I am or when I need her. She is there 24/7/365 to give me a pep talk and point me in the right direction and scream in my face in the loveliest, most encouraging of ways. I cannot say enough amazing things about this book or its’ author. Rachel Hollis is every woman. She is humble and transparent and this book will make you better if you’ll let it.
If I could give this book more than five stars, I definitely would.  I had heard about this book from a friend and am going to a book signing that she is going to be the key note speaker at so I figured I should check the book out.  I am beyond happy that I did.  I have since bought both the book and the Audible version.  The book is INSPIRING.  I absolutely loved it.  I plan to re-read/re-listen and highlight the parts that spoke to me.  I absolutely love how relatable this woman is!!!  She legit appears to have her entire life completely put together, so I was floored to realize she has struggled with some of the same things I struggle with.  She is so incredibly real and authentic, I can't state that enough!  I laughed and cried during this book.  I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone that has ever had self doubt over anything in their life.
This is the perfect book to boost self esteem and escape the lies that we tell ourselves. The author has 19 chapters devoted to fallacies such as, I'm not good enough, I'm a horrible mother, friend, etc, and users examples to debunk this type of thinking. She also gives stories from her personal life on how she overcame the lies she told herself. Rachel is so down to earth  and I she left me feeling like I was chatting with an old friend. I highly recommend this book for a personal confidence booster.
"Life isn't meant to be merely survived--it's meant to be lived."

Wow! So a friend of mine recommended this book to me and being the fiction lover that I am, I put it off and put it off. I don't do a lot of nonfiction. WHY!? DON'T be like me, DON'T wait! Go to Target, Amazon, the library, your BFF's bookshelf, and get this book right now!

It doesn't matter what you're going through, what you think you AREN'T going through, this book covers it. She's honest, she's funny. I realized while reading that she is ME and she is YOU. Everybody needs a pick me up sometimes and THIS IS IT.

When I checked my notes on this book, I found myself highlighting every passage because they all spoke to me. I want to share them all but then you wouldn't get to experience the greatness yourself. Hollis' words will change you.

I'm going to be passing this book out like candy to everybody I know.
I vulnerable and honest look at some of the struggle and insecurities most women deal with.  This book is a good reminder that we all struggle, but we can overcome the lies that we tell ourselves.
I loved this book. Highly recommend the audio version, read by the author. It was funny, touching, honest, and inspiring. I will be reading it again and recommending it to others!