Girl, Wash Your Face

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jan 2020

“‎Girl, Wash Your Face” is absolutely life changing and Rachel Hollis is my new hero! I want to be her best friend and follow her around everywhere and learn how to do life like she does! She is no nonsense, pull no punches, hands down the best cheerleader any woman would ever want in their corner! I have this book in hardcopy, digital, and audio so I can have Rachel with me no matter where I am or when I need her. She is there 24/7/365 to give me a pep talk and point me in the right direction and scream in my face in the loveliest, most encouraging of ways. I cannot say enough amazing things about this book or its’ author. Rachel Hollis is every woman. She is humble and transparent and this book will make you better if you’ll let it.
If I could give this book more than five stars, I definitely would.  I had heard about this book from a friend and am going to a book signing that she is going to be the key note speaker at so I figured I should check the book out.  I am beyond happy that I did.  I have since bought both the book and the Audible version.  The book is INSPIRING.  I absolutely loved it.  I plan to re-read/re-listen and highlight the parts that spoke to me.  I absolutely love how relatable this woman is!!!  She legit appears to have her entire life completely put together, so I was floored to realize she has struggled with some of the same things I struggle with.  She is so incredibly real and authentic, I can't state that enough!  I laughed and cried during this book.  I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone that has ever had self doubt over anything in their life.
This is the perfect book to boost self esteem and escape the lies that we tell ourselves. The author has 19 chapters devoted to fallacies such as, I'm not good enough, I'm a horrible mother, friend, etc, and users examples to debunk this type of thinking. She also gives stories from her personal life on how she overcame the lies she told herself. Rachel is so down to earth  and I she left me feeling like I was chatting with an old friend. I highly recommend this book for a personal confidence booster.
"Life isn't meant to be merely survived--it's meant to be lived."

Wow! So a friend of mine recommended this book to me and being the fiction lover that I am, I put it off and put it off. I don't do a lot of nonfiction. WHY!? DON'T be like me, DON'T wait! Go to Target, Amazon, the library, your BFF's bookshelf, and get this book right now!

It doesn't matter what you're going through, what you think you AREN'T going through, this book covers it. She's honest, she's funny. I realized while reading that she is ME and she is YOU. Everybody needs a pick me up sometimes and THIS IS IT.

When I checked my notes on this book, I found myself highlighting every passage because they all spoke to me. I want to share them all but then you wouldn't get to experience the greatness yourself. Hollis' words will change you.

I'm going to be passing this book out like candy to everybody I know.
I vulnerable and honest look at some of the struggle and insecurities most women deal with.  This book is a good reminder that we all struggle, but we can overcome the lies that we tell ourselves.
I loved this book. Highly recommend the audio version, read by the author. It was funny, touching, honest, and inspiring. I will be reading it again and recommending it to others!
This book covers it all. Lies we tell ourselves about everything...relationships, weight, kids, work, etc. I'll admit some parts did not pertain to me in any way shape or form (don't yet have kids) yet I loved reading even those chapters. I honestly can't articulate how much I liked this book. My finger hurts from highlighting so much and you know it's good when you immediately buy a hard cover version because reading it just once won't cut it.

Seriously do yourself a favor and grab a glass of wine, a jug of water...no diet Coke though...turn on some 90's music as background noise and make this your next "to read" book.
1 like

June 6, 2018 – Shelved as: books-owned-hard-copy
June 6, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites
June 6, 2018 – Finished Reading

Post a comment »COMMENTS
No comments have been added yet.

Notify me when people comment

comment add book/author       (some html is ok)

(preview)
 Add to my Update Feed *
 Notify me when people reply *

BLOG THIS REVIEW
Copy/paste the text below into your blog.
Girl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies about Who You Are So You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be by Rachel Hollis
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Lie:
I don't need to read this book.

Since this book is pretty much based on lies the author...as well as millions of women around the world tell themselves...I wanted to share some truth bombs/confessions. Deep breath....here we go.

A summary of how I came to read this book.
I am a small business owner who uses Instagram and started seeing this book everywhere. Everyone and their mom was posting pictures of it. So I figured out I would research it first. First truth. I have the attention span of a two year old when it comes to reading non-fiction books. Give me a mystery or thriller and I am so lost in those kinds of books nothing is going to stop me.

However, reading non-fiction....lets just say every little thing...even my dog's breathing distracts me. Still, some self help books or whatever you want to call them are in my queue and dang it...I will get to them SOMEDAY.

After realizing this book was not called Girl, Wash Your Hair like I thought, I found that this is classified as a Christian self help book. Seeing that made me seriously second guess wasting time trying to get my hands on it. I am not very religious and reading mind numbing dribble about how religion solves everything is in truth, not my cup of tea. Or wine.

Plus, next truth, I had no clue who this girl was. "Oh.....this isn't the same girl as that famous HGTV person!?" I do like Disney though so after finding that out, I was pretty much sold.

Then I found an ebook and audio version at my library. So I was like, whatever, it's only like 200 hundred pages, and if I don't like it I'll just nix it and go back to my norm of reading about jilted ex wives with amnesia or something.

I was sucked in the very first page.

Hallelujah, someone admitted that they too shave their toes! When you find a writer who admits
to having little quirks you, a similar father and childhood, and notice the way they write is similar to how you speak/write/internal dialogue with yourself, you know you are going to soon become a creeper and feel like you are best friends.

The Lie:
I don't need to read this book.

A summary of how I came to read this book.

I was sucked in the very first page.

I think I wasn't the right target audience for this book. I hadn't heard of the author earlier but I kept hearing about the book and decided to bite.

The concept wasn't bad. But the stories were either a hit or a miss. I appreciated the author's honesty but was put off by a lot of it because of how weird some of the stories were.

All in all, I learnt nothing new but the author's writing was captivating enough that I finished this book.

I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange of a review.
This book was hit and miss for me. There was a lot of positive, helpful information but on the other hand, there was a LOT of what I took as bragging. The author can't seem to go more than a few pages without mentioning how she built a multi-million dollar company all by herself. She also endlessly mentions that she's a workaholic and a runner, which gets redundant by a few chapters in. But, as I mentioned above, I do think there's a lot of positive to take from this book. It's written in a light, fun prose that makes you feel like you're talking to a girlfriend. Less braggadocio would have bumped this to 4 stars.
In Girl Wash Your Face, Rachel Hollis debunks lies we believe about ourselves by sharing her own fallible moments. Each essay — 20 in total — addresses one lie. Hollis discusses happiness, saying no, not being good enough, weight and diet, being bad at sex, among other topics. As the book goes on, the “lighter” lies from the early chapters give way to more serious issues. She is candid about her brother’s suicide, her trials through attempts at adoption, and drinking too much.

This book is just the confirmation we all need that all those Instagram and Facebook pictures that make other people’s lives look amazing are actually hiding the real, boring, normal, crazy, unbecoming stuff that happens behind the scenes. It is confirmation that no matter what we think everyone else is doing right, they are dealing with their own challenges or insecurities.

Hollis is able to tackle issues of all sizes in this book and she does so with honesty and humor, which makes her lessons that much easier for the reader to relate to.

I recommend this book to young adult and middle-age women who need to recognize that their own challenges are shared by others. Most people will be able to relate to at least a few of the lies and Hollis’s own stories.

Disclaimer: I received an advance-read copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I really like the author sharing her true stories of her life. It was so well written sharing her struggles and giving insight to how she  overcome them. Through reading this book it has inspired me to stick to EVERYTHING that I promise myself that I want to do. Very inspiring on setting and keeping goals.
At first I was leery of this book, just as I am most books of it's type. I stank of a feminist self-helpy book potentially rife with cliches, holier-than-thou language, and nothing truly helpful. I am so grateful that I was wrong. Rachel Hollis' writing style is accessible, funny, and easy to connect with. She is a real person struggling with life, just as much as I am! (So I said to myself) Not only that, but her solutions or suggestions were realistic and jived with psychological principles. Really this is a book about embracing yourself and living with intention; something I think we all struggle with to some extent. While I was able to read this book for free through netgalley, I plan to add this book to my personal and professional libraries as soon as I can. I know many clients who would greatly benefit from it.
Girl Wash Your Face is a humorous and uplifting read. Over the past few months, I've seen several posts and reviews on social media platforms raving about this book. How can a reader not be drawn to a title like this one?

I went into this book without any knowledge of the author, Rachel Hollis. Never stumbled on this hugely popular website/blog that she built from nothing and never heard of her as a motivational speaker. What I did find, is a fellow mom trying to just do her thing by living her best life while sharing the things she learned along the way.

It's laugh out loud funny often, and at times gut wrenching as well. What the reader walks away with is tangible advice and some kick in the isn't motivation. Time reading is well spent on this one for sure.
This is the first book I’ve read by Rachel Hollis. I had heard so much about it from so many people (friends and strangers) that I felt I had to check it out, and I’m glad I did.

It’s a quick read that’s marketed as a Christian memoir, but the material is likely to resonant with women everywhere, and the book is not “preachy” overall. In fact, it’s quite encouraging. Hollis is transparent in sharing her story (the struggles, doubts, humor … everything), and that’s what adds credibility to the book. She is very open about the fact that her trials have made her who she is today. Instead of being bitter, she lets the reader know she wouldn’t change things, as the situations have given her a greater appreciation for what she has.
Throughout the book, she addresses twenty common lies that often hold us back from being happy and living the life God has planned for us. With this book, she hopes to give the reader the jumpstart they need (with a little “kick” to get, or keep, going!). Women of all ages could benefit from this book.

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy from NetGalley, but I wasn’t required to post a positive review.
Maybe it was the timing, maybe it was the content. Maybe a combination of both, but this book really spoke to me at the place I am in my life at the moment. She's a straightforward writer, she writes like she speaks and tells it like it is. Some of it related so much to me and my life that I wept...other parts I thought were interesting but didn't directly apply to me, probably because I'm a bit over the target age of this book.
The parts I connected with were the ones that were inspirational and encouraging me to not give up on dreams I have, no matter how big or small they are. Provided me with a lot of things to think about for sure. Although I thought some parts of this book just didn't go deep enough, I think for women struggling with comparison and trying to figure out the direction for their lives, this is an amazing book.
I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
We all believe a few lies from time to time.

* Something else will make me happy.
* There’s only one right way to be.
* I am defined by my weight.

Rachel Hollis has gathered 20 lies in one place. And debunks them one by one by using her own life experiences, her wit, and her faith in God.

Each chapter in the book confronts a different lie. Here are a few examples.

The Lie: I will never get past this
The Truth:
“But what is the alternative? We live through something crappy, and that’s it? We’re done for?
You cannot ignore your pain. You cannot ever leave it behind completely. The only thing you can do is find a way to embrace the good that came out of it—even if it takes you years to discover what that is.”

The Lie: I’m not a good mom
The Truth:
“Remember that we’re raising our children into the adults they will become. Our valiant endeavor will take us a lifetime of effort. A single day, or even a handful of days, when you aren’t mom of the century won’t make or break your kids.”

The Lie: I should be further along by now
“[Believe] that your life will unfold as it was meant to, even when it unfolds into something painful and difficult to navigate. Do I believe he has a plan? Absolutely.
. . . [Set] goals, not time limits. . . . Big dreams shouldn’t have expiration dates. As long as you’re working toward the things you hope to accomplish, it shouldn’t matter if it takes you a month or a decade.”

While this book may not teach you things you don’t already know, it does a great job of reminding you to stay conscious. Wake up to what you think about yourself and about your circumstances. Don’t let little lies or big lies dampen your enthusiasm for the life you’ve been given.

“I constantly fight the desire to slip back into the role I’ve played for so long. They say the first step is admitting you have a problem, and two years ago I did just that. I learned that I am a recovering workaholic, but through this process, I also learned that I am a child of God—and that trumps everything else.”

My thanks to Net Galley for the review copy of this book.
There are some gems of wisdom here, but I think there is a certain audience who will particularly benefit from reading this book and that is young Christian women who want to live their lives both by the tenets of their faith and by more modern ideals of career, creativity and independence, Those who are not interested in reading a faith-based book might not relate to this one.
Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis.  This is not my usual type of book to read.  It's self help.  I saw the author's books talked about in a Facebook group I'm in and decided to check one out.  It was a roller coaster ride of things she went though in life, advice and things that made you think.
This book was good, quick and easy to read! There are some good advice and tips to learn from it ...except for the diet chapter that I did not enjoyed it and strongly disagree with it. Instead I appreciate the honesty throughout the book.