Cover Image: Girl, Wash Your Face

Girl, Wash Your Face

I sat down and read this book in a day, sadly it wasn't because I loved it. It was because I wanted to be done with it so I could review it and move on to a book I hopefully enjoy more. I had heard so many good things about this book and I wanted to like it, I love the idea of this book, and I know a lot of people who loved it. It just wasn’t for me. There were some really great parts about it but overall it was underwhelming.

I really enjoyed the chapter on not making yourself small, I found the author's way of encouraging women to take up space was relatable. I could relate to some of the action points/takeaways at the end of each chapter; but I also found myself often thinking how completely unhelpful a lot of it would be for women who don't have access to the same resources as the author. This book's target audience is very clearly upper-middle class, white women of a certain age and although I fit into the target demographic I still found much of the books content to be alienating. The content about her family's foster care journey for example, this part of the book was so off-putting. There seemed to be a lot judgment for the children's biological families and outright disgust at those parent's attempts at rebuilding their families, in spite of the fact that the book contains an entire chapter on not judging. The part that got me the most was the author calling one of the mothers of the children an "addict" and immediately following that sentiment up with the sentence "If you're like me, you find a way. But at night, when no one is looking, you drink, and when it gets really bad, you take a Xanax too." The hypocrisy in this paragraph was such a huge turn off.

If I am being completely truthful the author lost me in chapter five where she dedicates almost the entire chapter to chronicling her emotionally abusive relationship with an older man only to reveal near the end of the chapter that this man is now her husband, and that somehow the prospect of losing her made him magically change overnight into someone entirely different. Not only did this chapter not ring true or genuine to me but it also felt like it set a dangerous precedent for young women who may find themselves in this sort of negative relationship.

In conclusion, the book has some strong themes of resilience and encouragement. I commend the author for keeping it real and fun in those areas and for having some sound advice for pushing forward in life and focusing on your goals. As for all the other areas, I highly suggest she do some work unpacking her socioeconomic privilege and put a bit more, well thought into her thoughts. She wrote this book to encourage her readers to be true to themselves and to not hold back, yet it feels like she was anything but in the writing of this book.
After recently escaping an abusive relationship, my self esteem was at rock bottom. Through the recommendation of friends I read this book. Although it is not geared towards abuse itself, it gave me a fresh outlook on my life and added a positive impact on my mental health.

The author writes through personal stories and experiences that every woman has or will experience at some point in their lives. I am thankful for this book and would recommend any woman looking for friendly advice from someone who can relate. She brings humor and understanding to some very real and sometimes embarrassing moments in life.

Thanks for the great read.
“Nothing is wasted. Every single moment is preparing you for the next. But whether or not you choose to see this time as something wonderful—the time when God is stretching you and growing you or maybe forging you in fires hotter than you think you can withstand—all of it is growing you for the person you’re becoming, for a future you can’t even imagine.”

While Rachel Hollis may not have provided any new insight to this thing we call life, this was an upbeat and light read. I enjoy motivational and empowering books and this definitely falls into that category. Does she come across as a bit preachy from a place of privilege? Yes. Does she give life to words that make you want to live your best life? Yes. Ultimately, the latter makes this a worthwhile read. I want to thank Nelson Books for gifting me with a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

"You, and only you, are ultimately responsible for who you become and how happy you are."
I read this at a time that I had just separated myself from a 15-year relationship and needed ways to make myself feel better. Overall, though, this title was just pretty good. A lot of the self-help advice is common sense and nothing too novel about most of it. Some of it, too, I couldn't connect with personally (what with not having children, etc.), but overall I could see how this could be an empowering title for many women who feel like life is a slump.
Unfortunately, this book has a following, but it is not a book I can recommend. In the desire to be relevant and relatable, I believe the author misses the true calling of a Christ-like attitude and humble spirit.
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for giving me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed in the review are my own.

Girl Wash Your Face is a fairly quick read that gives readers advice on how to take control of their lives. While it's not necessarily a bad book, it is full of the same advice that I'm sure most women have heard over and over again.

Before hearing about this book I had no idea who Rachel Hollis was. I didn't know anything about her website or blog, and to be completely honest I still don't, however the hype was so strong with this book I ended up giving in and applying for it when I saw it on Netgalley. I was really looking forward to the no nonsense girl love aspect that I've heard so much about. Unfortunately, it turned out to be so not my type of book. While the book is all about loving yourself and others it was just to cookie cutter self-help for me.
So I really loved this book.
I loved how down to earth and open Rachel was through the whole thing.
There were parts I was laughing out loud, cringing and really doing some deep thinking.
The only downfall for me was all the talking about God and religion
overall a great read and the audiobook was awesome too :D
I was looking forward to reading this title for quite awhile.  There has been so much buzz, but I tempered my expectations to avoid feeling like it was overhyped.  I enjoyed the format quite a bit.  Rachel presents common lies that women tell themselves and uses her own anecdotes to try to dispel the lies.  Although there was not necessarily a ton of new information and insight, it was a refreshing read with some good advice and support to encourage women to be their best self.
Really not my cup of tea. I heard great things about this book but I found it to be very one dimensional and hard to get through. Not interesting or unique.
I picked this book up after selling so many copies of it at my store. I wanted to know what was the hype was all about.

I have mixed feelings about this book, only because this is not my typical genre so I was already stepping out of my comfort zone when I picked it up. I do not think that this book should be considered a part of the Christain genre, mainly because I didn't feel like Christianity had much to do with what she was writing about and because of that I feel like it is keeping people from picking that book up.

I did like how candid she was with her writing, it was like being sat down by a good friend and getting told to straighten up.

Overall it is a decent book, one I am glad I got an arc through netgalley of vs owning since it isn't one I am likely to read again.
This was a good read. Took me awhile to read through it. She has a way with words. I thought it was a very Inspirational and uplifting book. Rachel Hollis motivates you to take a different look at ourselves I think. That we are doing well. You won't regret picking this book up. I have to get the book because I'm sure I will be highlighting and marking the pages.

Thank you to publisher and NetGalley for the eARC.
***Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***

OK, first off, I loved the title of this book so much. I also appreciated the message, but I don't think I'm the right audience for this book. I'm not a mom and I felt that this book was a little preachy (or something).
Absolutely loved this book. I'm so motivated now. I feel like this is a book I will come back to very often and will be much loved. I 100% recommend this book!!!
Compared to some of the other "self-help" books I've read, I liked this one more. However, it still was a little repetitive. The message was great, the stories were funny, but the same lines were used many times, even within her own anecdotes. I get that it didn't tell her life in chronological order, but it didn't need to repeat.

Overall, it was a solid read and I can see how it speaks to a lot of people, women especially. She's a great writer and the book is inspiring.
Thank you for sending me a copy of this book to review. I tried to read it, but the formatting of the ARC was so terrible, I couldn't read more than one chapter. For some reason, the copyright information cut off paragraphs on almost every page. Sentences were chopped in half and moved around from one page to another. The end result was gibberish in many sections. I'm sure it's a fabulous book, and I love the romances this author wrote, so I hate to put it aside but I can't physically read this. Thank you for the opportunity! I opted not to crosspost this review anywhere, since I had to DNF.
I have very mixed feeling about this book.  On one hand, the information is very informative and timely in helping women understand what they need to do to become their best selves.  On the other hand, the author is rich and doesn't lead a normal lifestyle that most women have.
This is a very popular book, particularly in the online teaching community. There's no doubt that it's inspirational and engaging (if a little preachy at times). It's simultaneously relatable and quite specific. Definitely worth a read though.
Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis is a self-help book. Each chapter, Hollis begins with a lie and she shares how in her personal experience she dealt with it and what advice she gives to others. Hollis is the founder of TheChicSite.com a popular lifestyle site.

I personally really enjoyed this book. Maybe it is because at this point in my life, Hollis’ words ring true in my experiences. Her writing is clear, and her descriptions allow the reader to see the scenes she describes come to life. Hollis has great metaphors and brings humor into many hard issues. I felt like many issues were relatable, even if they did not directly apply to me.

Life experiences shape who someone is but what I took away from this book was, you choose how something affects you and how and if you move forward, even the most put together people do not have it together, and if you decide not to break promises to yourself, your life will slow down.  Regardless where you are in your life, Hollis has advice on many topics.

Girl, Wash Your Face is an inspirational and uplifting read. I recommend it to women of all ages. An advance complimentary copy of this book was supplied by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.
I somewhat enjoyed this.  It was pretty inspirational at times; however, I think that a lot of people (myself included) won't relate to it.  At times it felt very boastful.  I don't think she realizes what true hardship is for most people as she is quite obviously living a very privileged life (I mean, one of her life goals included a Louis Vuitton purse, finally getting it, and it being the "proudest moment of her life"
I have completely fallen in Love with Rachel Hollis. She just has away  of telling you how it’s with out being rude but that motivates you.  She help you realize that we all feel  less of a person at times. But we need to not worry about those imperfections. She also talk about how we need to treat ourself as well as we treat other people and stop put our selfs last.  It like this but I feel like at time we need to be selfless and think of others. I feel like the world has become so much  of  a Me Me world instead of showing kindness to others.  Don’t get me wrong I am a mom of 6 and I understand me time. But I also understand Stan the importance of doing for  others. So we have to find that balance. Which can be very tricky.  I over all loved this book and learned a lot!!  Happy Reading!!
Thanks NetGalley!!!