Girl, Wash Your Face

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Thank you to NetGalley and Rachel Hollis for allowing me to read and review Girl, Wash Your Face. I didn't enjoy this book.
Thank you so much for this ARC!

While I appreciate the approval, I just could not get through this book completely. Giving it three stars to remain neutral.
I'm torn on this one. On one hand, this book is for privileged white women with no real problems but the ones they make up for themselves. For rich white women who's husbands has made so much money that you don't have to worry about bills. Who have cars, and a house with a large kitchen, multiple kids and who go to the PTA meeting. On the other hand, you can extrapolate anything from self-help books if you look for it. There's something to be said about a different perspective, for inspiration from someone who lives a different kind of life than you. I am generally not a fan of "mommy-blogger" or "social media influencer" content. It's also a very christian book. So much so it's not in self-help but in the christian/religion section of my store. There are problems with this book. She justifies diet culture through religion, she justifies material things and equates them to happiness and success, she is blissfully unaware of her white privilege (ie substance abuse, appropriating language from african american culture, success via material success and red carpet evenings).

However, if this is your first foray into "Boss Babe" culture and movement, there's inspirational things to take from it. Get up earlier. Get more done. Drink more water. Workout more. Gratitude daily. You may get something out of this. You may not. If you are a privileged women, who has some insecurities, this book is for you. If you are a regular woman, who was interested in finding a deeper and more authentic sense of joy in your life, this book is not for you.
A feel good self help book with each chapter headed with a lie we tell ourselves. What follows then is an anecdotal filled essay on why that is a lie. For example, I need a hero is countered in summary that you already are your own hero. The narration has a down home y'all feel to it that reads easily and quickly. Scripture is included but this is not overcome with religion. An author I would read more from.

Copy provided by the Publisher and NetGalley
I absolutely loved this book. I was laughing and crying and even crying with laughter. Rachel Hollis is a fantastic storyteller whilst at the same time an inspirational writer. I honestly think that everyone needs to read this book. It's so easy to let the lies of the world fill our head. Instead we need to remind ourselves of the truth. We are enough and we can do this.
Rachel Hollis your book is so motivating. I need this on paperback. One thing I learned is never give up on myself. You are one wonder writer.
I tackled this book more than a year after its release and long after the buzz about it. I chose to 'see for myself.' I have not followed the author online or on social media before this so I came with a clean slate and no expectations...But I am happy to say that I think it lives up to the reviews and ratings. This book is based on the author's life which she relates in an easy to read way, yet the lessons that she hopes we will learn from are clearly stated. The insights at the end of every chapter on what helped her are truly helpful.

The book is very inspiring because of her vulnerability, and the wisdom she gleaned from her experiences. As opposed to just letting life happen TO her, the author has really been mastering the art of making things work for her in one way or another. She often does this by reframing the way she looks at things and she just keeps going, trying, getting up and doing it again. She seems to have the grit factor which will lift up and encourage others. Even the chapters that didn't relate to me (for example, parenting/mothering) had wisdom that I could appreciate as helpful for many others.
This book is very personal to the author so don't expect to relate 100% to her perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. However, the wisdom in many of her conclusions is worth reading. This is a book I would definitely gift to girlfriends.
A life changing book. I didn't know how much I needed this book until I read it.
I genuinely believe every women and especially every mother and working mother, needs to read this. It will change the way you think and open doors you didn't realize were closed in your own mind.
Girl, Wash Your Face is a witty and humorous look into Rachel Hollis' life, her personal growth, her setbacks, and her triumphs. The reader follows Hollis through her experiences in childhood, teens, young adult, and adult years. Each chapter focuses on a specific lie/misconception Hollis held as true and has since worked past. Through these reflections, she shares the life lessons that she has learned from each experience. Hollis' introspections and thoughts give the readers insight into her life and how it might parallel their own.
When I read this book, I had no prior knowledge of Rachel Hollis or her website. The book appealed to me on the description alone. Touted as personal development and self-help, Hollis makes many great points and I was able to relate to many aspects of the book. The draw back for me personally was that I was unable to relate to Hollis' thoughts on Christianity and motherhood.
First, thanks to #NetGalley for the opportunity to read an e-galley of this book.  I appreciate author, Rachel Hollis's honesty in this book.  She gives 20 lies that we tell ourselves, and how she has overcome them.  I appreciate that she is so vulnerable in all parts of her life so we can see that we're all the same, experience the same things. This book causes me to thank the Lord for His guidance in my life, and for directing me to books like this.
#NetGalley #GirlWashYourFace
Unfortunately, this book didn’t really vibe with me.  There’s one quote in particular that emphasises why this isn’t a book for me: “I went to a conference last year - the kind of thing where a life guru stands on stage and walks you through guided meditation or yells at you to believe in yourself.  I loved every single second of it.” When I think of a life guru yelling at me to believe in myself, I cringe and think you couldn’t pay me to go to that event.  But I know for a fact there are people who love this sort of thing (Rachel Hollis included!), so I think a lot of people may enjoy this book for the same reason I disliked it.  Especially if you’re young, or if you believe you have low self esteem, it might be worth reading this, as there are definitely important messages in here (one I did like was “Someone else’s opinion of me is none of my business”). But for me, most of it felt a bit condescending, and exactly what I don’t want from a self-help book.

There were some funny parts, and some parts, where she talked about the struggles of having a newborn baby, and the struggles of her going through the adoption process, that felt really raw and genuine, and I enjoyed reading them.  But then when she went back to telling me to be the best version of myself, I’d get bored again.

Overall, I think this book is meant for a specific sort of person, and maybe I’m just a bit cynical with self-help books, but it just wasn’t for me.
Wow. This is was one of the worst books I have ever read. There is a rather large dose of white privilege was tone-deaf, and had preachy undertones. I just was so unbelievably turned off of this book. I finished it because I wanted to make sure I could leave an honest thorough review. First off, I have never heard of this woman, or her “successful” lifestyle website. She mentions a lot about how successful she is. I honestly cannot think of a single person who could actually benefit from this book.
Not the book for me, felt that it was good advice to a celebrity or someone in the same position as the author, but not to the regular person doing every day things.  Would try another book from her.
I will use in a challenge and remind chapter Chatter Pub about its release.
When I first finished this book I was in love. After thinking on it more and processing it, I'm sure I'm in the minority but it made me feel disappointed in myself and that I wasn't doing enough. I felt that her views weren't in line with most women I know personally. I couldn't finish it and won't be reading anything else by her.
This book was not for me. I had a hard time relating to Hollis and her,what could be identified as, "humble brags". I did enjoy some parts of this book but I just couldn't seem to get past the fact that everything she talked about lead back to how well her life was going now.  I understood the point, but it just wasn't for me unfortunately.
I have a lot of thoughts about this book.

I liked Hollis’ voice and I appreciated her sharing the stories of struggle in her life.

However, I thought that the messages in this book were surface-level, a little ignorant, and even a little dangerous.

Her discussions on body image, romance, and even substance abuse were super troubling to me. Her overall message was that you can choose to be happy, but this overlooks anyone who may suffer from depression or who is less privileged than her.
I received this book from Netgalley as an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This book left me wishing for more depth, but I enjoyed the author's stories and examples. She did give some good nuggets of information, but for the person who truly needs this self-help book for motivation, some judgements could leave the reader cold and frustrated. Life isn't always as simplified as the author has stated, which is why so many people struggle. She needs to come meet her audience, the ones with problems and challenges, find ways to motivate them outside of the suck it up, buttercup wisdom she offers. I wanted to love this book, while I won't remember it in a month or two, I will say it was okay.
Well-written, entertaining and inspiring in parts, this book is well worthwhile for women struggling with their own self-esteem in the face of everyday domestic troubles. It does, however, come across as a little tone-deaf and privileged - many women in the world are dealing with problems that aren't so easy to overcome with a bit of positive thinking. It's impossible for a self-help book to be everything to everyone though, and this is a good start, if a little lightweight.
A year. Well, nearly a whole year. That year I had been meaning to get this book. I was so excited for it’s release but yet I never took it far enough to the check out line. I think sometimes (just like people) that books enter our life when we need them; and I am so thankful I read this book when I did. You see, when this book released last year I had so much ahead of me. My husband and I had just returned to our home state as he was getting out the military and we were going to settle down. One problem turned into another, we were essentially homeless, and it just seemed like everything was going wrong. My mental health took a dive for the worse and I was nearly to a depression and state I wasn’t sure I would be able to get out of. I wasn’t the mother I needed to be for my boys and I sure wasn’t the wife my husband needed coming home from work.
“When I say unhappy, I mean discontented, unsettled, frustrated, angry- any number of emotions that make us want to hide from our lives instead of embracing them with arms wide open..”

Well finally we got a call that our offer was accepted on a house and things could finally start looking up. That was at the end of august. We had moved home the following September. Nearly  a year had gone by.
When I say this book entered my life when I needed it is an understatement. I had been feeling tons of “mom guilt” because now that we were settled into our new home, I wanted to do something for myself. I contemplated if I should get a job, finish my cosmetology license, or ultimately finish my degree in my passion.
Between child care prices for my young boys who are still too young for school and the hours my husband works, getting my cosmetology license was not a suitable thing. Getting a job, yes okay, do-able but it’d be nightshift and I can already barely stay up past 9pm taking care of the house, animals, kids, etc all day long. So, I called a school that had a good program for what I was looking for and I signed up. I sure did. I am now a full time (online) student and I couldn’t be prouder of that accomplishment I took.
“Your dream is worth fight for, and while you’re not in control of what life throws at you, you are in control of the fight.”
I read Girl, Wash Your Face in a day. I needed someone to tell me that my dreams are worth it. That my life matters and nothing in my past can change how I feel about myself or my dreams. This book was a god-send and exactly what I needed. What I love most was that this book didn’t coddle me. I get enough of that at home lol. This book was blunt, straight foreword, and tell-it-like-it-is. Rachel uses her own real life experiences that influenced her life and her path, and then told us how she overcame that to get where she is today.
She has been someone I looked up to for years, and again I am still not sure what or why or how that book never made it to the check out lane with me, but had I read it when it first released, I may not have had the same experience, or it may not had been the experience I needed. I hope that makes sense.

This was the flame to get me going. Now, I know everyone has their own opinions on this book and this is mine. Take it or leave it. I’ve literally always said how someone needs to be in the right place of mind for the right book. I related so much with this book and her stories, and the lies because I can understand them. I am and always have been a firm believer that hard work does pay off. Determination and motivation help. Lately I have just been feeling that since I am a mom I need to be 10000% there for them. Nobody has ever asked me what I wanted to do, what I wanted. If so much of me is for them, what left is there fore me? They will be small only for a little amount of time, so then what? What am I supposed to do with myself when they eventually move out and move on with there lives? So, like I said. This. Book. Is. What. I. Needed. It got me off my behind and I’m going back to school. I am more dedicated to my writing, my blog, my husband even and working on being the mother my kids need me to be.
You better believe that I pre-ordered Girl, Stop Apologizing which came out TODAY! Once I am done uploading this blog, that book will be in my hands and I will be devouring it as much as I did the first one. So, Thank you Rachel Hollis for being the motivator you are.
Much love and until next time,
DauntlessReading
Until I am emailed a proper copy of this book then I will not be changing my rating on here. The book has been out for over a year so why on earth have I been sent a copy like I receieved??

Every other word is either "do" "not" "copy" "material". It is impossible to read correctly.

No other publisher has ever sent me a copy like this. If you don't trust your readers not to copy the book then why on earth are you giving out ARC's?

The book is already on pirate websites so it has already been copied. This is beyond pathetic.