Cover Image: Girl, Wash Your Face

Girl, Wash Your Face

I had just a few small issues with Girl, Wash Your Face. The first (and most major) issue was that the editors didn’t seem to place all of the stories so well throughout the book. There were several pieces that seemed out of order that could’ve easily been fixed by rearranging chapters. It would’ve also removed some of the repetitiveness of Rachel’s ideas.

The second issue that bothered me was Rachel Hollis’ “I’m so awesome. This worked for me so it’s going to work for all of you” vibe. As a motivational writer, I completely understand the need to put her best self forward to influence her readers, but at the same time it often came off as pushy and inauthentic.

I’ve discussed in-depth some of the motives behind this book with some of my close friends. There were some resounding pieces that stuck with each of us that I believe should be noted for you!

If we make promises to other people, why can’t we keep promises to ourselves? If you set a goal for yourself, you are promising yourself that you are going to accomplish that task. Maybe its a goal as simple as drinking 100oz of water a day. When you don’t keep up with a goal that you’ve set forward for yourself, you are breaking a promise to yourself.
Remember that you as a human are doing awesome. You cannot base your day on every little thing exceeding expectations. You don’t have to love what you’re doing every second of every day, but remember that you are human and you are doing your very best.
My biggest take away was the promises you make to yourself are the promises you should keep. Typically you make promises to a friend, you keep them. Why is it so easy to break a promise to yourself?
I think that this book is one that either you like or you don't. And for once I'm in the don't category, the tone of the book just hit me all wrong. Also from what I read in this book I didn't really learn anything new, it was all things that I already knew. So if you are interested in reading this book I highly recommend getting a copy from the library first and if you are one that really enjoys it then go get your own copy.
Rachel's personality is very entertaining and had me hooked from the beginning. I love how real she is and I really enjoyed this book! She is so motivating and helps inspire me to do better!
I loved this! Rachel Hollis is so real and in your face when she needs to be. This isn't incredibly in depth self help, but a fun and super realistic take on bettering yourself.
I really enjoyed this book. It is an honest telling of Rachel's story and truth. It does not relate perfectly to my story and truth but no one's story will ever do that which is why I think some people did not rate this book very highly. There are so many truths in the book that I think all individuals (not just women) can and should hear and apply to themselves in whatever manner makes sense for them. The book has motivated me to reflect on my life and decide what I want to do to look back in 5 years and see progress that I wouldn't have otherwise seen. I think that is really the point of this book and possible for anyone willing to look for that for themselves.
I had heard a lot about this book - and it seems like many people liked it.  I however couldn't finish it.  It came across as very trite and somewhat shallow.  I didn't think it had a whole lot of substance, and I wasn't a fan of all the mentions of Christianity and how it's important to happiness.  It just wasn't for me.
Love Love Love this book and I can totally understand why it is so much of a hit. It is everything and explains her struggles and how she accomplished what she wanted in a way that lets you know that you can too.
Just not a title for me, felt a bit too cliche and bite-size. I wondered whether this was meant to feel like a mantra for a generation of girls or if it was Rachel’s true advice to young women. It felt very instagrammable and frankly quite white. I know she’s very popular and therefore it makes sense that she continues to write tidbits like this, but I wonder about whether the books are truly genuine.  Because of this I had trouble reading much of the book.

I have to fill this with one hundred words, but I feel like I’ve said enough in this review.

Okay, so, a friend of mine was reading this book and recommended it to me. I saw it here and jumped at the chance to read it.
I did not like it one bit. I know Harper Collins has published this book and so I figured, it would be phenomenal. Anyway, it's good pop advice for sure but it's hard to actually take that advice to heart.
It's a little like Lean In, when people with certain privileges give advice it's hard to take it all in and actually work with it.
Thank you to @Netgalley for this free read in exchange for an honest opinion. I have to admit that I had absolutely no idea who @msrachelhollis was but something about the cover and the name really intrigued me. So I went into the book with an open mind, hoping for even just a little bit of inspiration for my life. Not that there is anything wrong with my life or how I look or any of that business...but I do like to read self help-ish books in general because they allow me to see things in more positive ways if I get down. This book personally did not disappoint me but I can see that the reviews were either very positive or very negative when it comes to this book. I'm really not sure why...I really liked it and I am walking away from it with some positive messages. I loved how each chapter started with a lie she had believed and each chapter ended with what helped her see that lie for what it was. I would absolutely read more of her work and I would recommend this book to anyone who liked to be more positive when it comes to life. Especially people who have also believed lies about themselves.

I would like to point out, however, that the kindle book I was sent was FULL of errors...I have a screenshot if somebody would like to see what I am talking about but when I say errors, I am speaking of the words DO NOT DUPLICATE over and over and over mixed in with the text along with the words MATERIAL COPYRIGHTED. It made it very hard to read because the words would all be mixed up and every now and then some numbers would be thrown in. Some parts seemed to be missing altogether. The book itself was great and I would totally recommended it...
This was a difficult book to get through and finish - which is why I didn't finish it.

I guess I was looking for something deeper and more profound instead of cookie cutter wisdom and quotes. Hollis fills the book with far too much Christian speak without providing any real depth to her content.

I found the examples of material things being symbols of success and happiness to be incredibly shallow and only confirmed my feeling that she was out of touch with the general population of women - If I include the continual body image shame, then we have the definition of intolerance and the antithesis of uplifting.
Very interesting book. Full of insight and advice. A little out of my element, but I have heard good feedback from others.
I did not enjoy this book. The author's tone did not read authentically to me, and her advice seemed rather suited to her own life experiences than useful or effective at large.
I had been hearing so much about “ Girl, Wash Your Face”  by Rachel Hollis that I was super excited to dig in. I was waiting for some sound, motivational advice. Sadly, that was not what I received. Instead, what I got was someone talking down to me in an overly preachy manner. The author obviously has never had any major setbacks or problems in her life. I did not find it inspiring in the least. I’m a Christian but I’m not white, I’m not wealthy, I’m not  thin or able to be boxed in. All of these make up a great portion of this book and leaves no room for anything else. A very ignorant outlook on life that belittles the reader. I would not and do not recommend.

* I received this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review*
I’ve heard mixed reviews on this book.  I was interested in checking out what all the buzz was about.  It was a quick read with some chapters that spoke to me, and a few that didn’t. The advice was generally not earth-shattering, but it’s always a nice reminder to give yourself a little grace.  Rachel is no doubt a motivated person and she offers life notations with uplifting vibes.

Overall, I am really glad I read this book. Rachel’s drive, persistence, and motivation are an inspiration.
I was not impressed with the writing, nor did I feel like the advice was researched or valid. There were generic all encompassing mantras without giving depth to issues that were seemingly being addressed.
I had been hearing about this book and was very interested in reading it. I have been a fan of Rachel Hollis and I feel like she wrote this book in a realistic way. She breaks down the lies that she believed about herself so that the reader can identify with them.

There are several things that I am taking away from this book and using in my daily life. I felt drawn to some of her stories and enjoyed the underlying religious aspects. There were several things that I didn’t enjoy about this book. I felt like there was a lot of humble  bragging (Mentioning something once or twice is sufficient.) and I had some issue with decisions that she made regarding an abusive situation, but I also try to keep in mind that it is her life and her choice and it is working for her.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this book. I really enjoy Rachel and I look forward to reading her next book.
I decided not to read this book after coming across and reading a detailed article titled "Why not to read Girl, Wash Your Face". I didn't intentionally look for it, but I was typing "reasons why not to read..." and the book was the first suggestion google offered me, and curious as I was, I clicked and read the article. It was very thorough and quoted from this book to prove certain points, so, with total certainty, I can say I won't enjoy this book as much as I should to make the effort to read it.

I was expecting to find general advice like "you shouldn't believe the lies of the beauty industry" and stuff like that, but after finding out what the book is really about, I am simply not gonna invest my time in reading something that's catered exclusively for middle-class white mums. I have already read a lot on the "chase your dreams" and "you can do anything" spectrum of self-help, so I don't really need more.

Honestly, if you want to take a good look at the message of the book, I recommend reading the article, and only if you see no problem with the core of ideas the author defends, then proceed to read the book.
Overall, I really liked this book! It's a positive message that I feel many women can relate to. No, I didn't agree with everything that the author said, but it was still a good book. I shared my full review on Goodreads.
For me, this book was part entertaining, part skimmable, part useful. It was useful in that some of Rachel’s guidance resonated with me and altered my often negative thought patterns so I found myself highlighting sentences on my Kindle for future reference to scribble into my journal for personal development.. I say the book was partly skimmable because as a mother of grown up children, no strong belief in God and having never been much of a career chaser I wasn’t quite so drawn to parts of the book as other readers might be. It has to be said though, that references to God we’re not off putting in any way. Lastly, it was entertaining, the author has an inviting writing style which makes her book easy and enjoyable to read. I’m grateful to NetGalley and publisher for providing a digital copy for me to review.