Girl, Wash Your Face

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

I love this book.

Rachel's experiences resonated with me on a deep level. Her stories are at turns heart-breaking, inspirational, up-lifting and empowering. The way she approached her book, by addressing a different lie she told herself in each chapter, makes it easy for her audience to absorb her messages. It also means that you can go back and reference specific lies and lessons easily, without re-reading the book cover to cover.

I borrowed the audiobook through my library Hoopla account, but - and this is the first time I can ever remember saying this - I am going to purchase a physical copy of the book as well, so that I can read and reference the book over and over. Not because I can't get through the audiobook. I loved it. I just want a physical copy too.

Ya'll, that is how real this book is.

Rachel reads the audio version herself, and both the writing and her narration are superb. It feels like "real talk" with a trusted girlfriend. I don't find "ra-ra" cheerleader type self-help books to ever be applicable in my life. I'm too much of a cynic I suppose. Rachel's book is much more grounded in real-life examples that are easy to relate to.

If there is only one self-improvement title you read this year, choose this book.
Sometimes a person gets stuck in a rut.  For me it is a mental rut, a blockage, something like a writer's block yet one for living life.  This book helps with getting out of that rut in life.  She is very encouraging and will be blunt in her words, but I get it.  She takes basic lies that we have sort of kept in our minds or speak to ourselves, and discredits it.  Her book is full of her stories and personal life accounts.   Some of the her story is crazy!  Like how she met her husband.  She admits that she has faults and that she has made some not so wise decisions--and fully discloses her life isn't perfect.  It makes her book and life very vulnerable to the critics because she is very open with her life.  I do take this book as an example and maybe with a grain of salt, but overall I do appreciate her sharing her messy life stories with us all.  It is very encouraging to know that I'm not alone in believing the lies that run a muck in my head.  She does speak candidly, and in a way that is unafraid.

If you are looking for a book chalk full of bible verses--this is not it.  If you are looking for a book that talks from her life experiences and how she surrendered to God and decided to live out her life to the fullest--this is it.  It is encouraging overall.
I loved Girl, Wash Your Face. Like so much. I don't even know how to express how much I enjoyed the book. Maybe so much I went out and bought an actual physical copy to read and underline and have on my bookshelves to read again and again when I need a pep talk.

Chapters can be read randomly and all flow together really well. I love Rachel's writing style and how it's like sitting down having a coffee with her and she's actually telling you the story then and there. Rachel is so expressive and honest with her storytelling you just want to read more and more.

Honestly, one of those books you will read again and again and give copies to friends and family members for years to come. Which was how I felt with The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin and it's been years since another book has made me feel that way.
Oh boy, this book was a trip. Let me start by saying that I received this book for free by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I wanted to like this book. It's received so many positive reviews (especially from my friends). It just comes off as entitled and tone deaf. Very "first world problems". The only parts that sounded sincere to me are when the author talked about her brother. That felt real. I wanted more of that. But when she started describing how she met her husband and her initial relationship with him, I was literally cringing. This book was just a no go for me. Too superficial.
Overall, I am not a huge "self-help'" or "inspirational" book reader, unless the book is from someone I already know and trust or comes highly praised. With that said, my book club was reading this so I gave it a try. This ebook-ARC was difficult to read. However, overall, the book was decent. I think her attempts at humor or sarcasm, I enjoyed because I am that way myself, but I don't see that as suiting everyone. She makes some good points and overall it was an okay read for me.
I found it interesting, after meeting Rachel I wanted to read one of her books. I like how she narrates each part. It took me on a ride of her life and so I now know her a bit better to understand what she posts. This book has some inspirational situations, but most I think is funny, a great way to tell the story, it seemed we were getting a coffee. I will read another of her books, perhaps even get the audiobooks.
As the founder of the lifestyle website TheChicSite.com and CEO of her own media company, Rachel Hollis developed an immense online community by sharing tips for better living while fearlessly revealing the messiness of her own life. Now, in this challenging and inspiring new book, Rachel exposes the twenty lies and misconceptions that too often hold us back from living joyfully and productively, lies we’ve told ourselves so often we don’t even hear them anymore.

With painful honesty and fearless humor, Rachel unpacks and examines the falsehoods that once left her feeling overwhelmed and unworthy, and reveals the specific practical strategies that helped her move past them. In the process, she encourages, entertains, and even kicks a little butt, all to convince you to do whatever it takes to get real and become the joyous, confident woman you were meant to be.

I think after reading all of the hype for this book, I got too high of expectations and because of that I think I wanted to so badly like this book. I personally didn't really agree with or relate to everything she wrote about. The one quote that I did really like was "Someone else's opinion of me is none of my business." and the  chapter about how we should love people regardless of their race, sexual orientation, religion, etc. I agreed with but everything else just seemed a little redundant and cliche. I felt like this should be an autobiography instead of a self-help book.

Thank you #NetGalley for the ARC of #GirlWashYourFace
Pub Date: 06 Feb 2018
I do not understand how this book has such high reviews. I'm guessing the author has asked her readers to all leave great reviews. I had never heard of her before reading the book, though she spends the whole book telling you how famous and successful she is. She uses words like "my tribe" to refer to her readers, who she says are in the millions and who adore her. Okay. The book is basically life lessons from her specific life that just aren't going to transfer over to most of us. Yes, she was able to create a big following online apparently, but she married a really rich husband who supported her all the years it took to get there.

I also feel really sad for her kids. She makes references to the way they parent like the fact that they work hard to be there from them "every day from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. " -- with a baby and other small children, you don't get to just shut their door and leave them on their own for 10 hours every day so you get sleep and alone time.

She also writes about when a social worker asked her little boy what made him sad and he immediately said, "when daddy scares me in the night." She says they realized it was because her husband put him back in his bed over and over again every night when he tried to come and get in bed with them, and that "daddy was grumpy" but all I could think is how sad and lonely that little boy must have been if even though his dad was angry and scary he still kept trying every night again and again to just be comforted. She writes that they found it "hilarious" afterwards. It's a good thing she's such a fan of therapy, as I have a feeling all of her kids are going to need it.
This is an accessible and conversational self-help book with a Christian outlook, but it's not so over-the-top and in-your-face about it that it would turn off most non-Christian readers.

It's like having a long and frank discussion with a real person about mistakes they've made in life and how to avoid the same mistakes in yours. Not all of it will apply to everyone, and maybe you might have some challenges the author didn't have. And reading about someone else's way they solved their problems isn't going to miraculously make it easy to solve even the same problem in your own life. It's still going to be hard work.

But I feel the way the problems are laid out and the "what helped me" sections. I think this is a very accessible and easy to read book that may help some people get a different perspective on a problem they are having when they don't feel they have anyone to talk to about it.
3 stars
My rating scale:
5☆ - I loved this book and it brought out true emotion in me (laughter, anger, a good cry, etc)
4☆ - I loved this book.
3☆ - I liked this book.
2☆ - I didn't really care for this book.
1☆ - I did not like this book at all and probably did not finish it.
This arc is unreadable. Words like COPYRIGHTED and DUPLICATE pop up almost five times per page. And sometimes a part of a sentence seems missing. This makes it really hard to read.
If the first chapter had attracted my attention, I would have tried harder.  But honestly it was not interesting enough for me to struggle. I will not post a review on Goodreads or Amazon. My apologies.
Rachel Hollis is such an inspiration. This book was just what I needed and I hope that fire it lit within me remains burning for a good long time. This book is down to earth about the struggles we go through and how to push past and overcome them. I feel stronger just having read this. It is relatable and inspirational.

*I received a copy of this book from Netgalley. The review is my own, honest and unsolicited.
1-girl-wash-your-face
This book was the kick in the pants I needed to get over myself and my excuses! I got the audio book at first, but had to buy the written version so I could take better notes! She has a morning Facebook live that is so real and down to earth. Her honesty is refreshing. I look forward to reading her future books!
Note to publisher: My copy of the book was very disjointed and hard to read. Words like “Copyrighted”  “Material”  “Do not duplicate” were within middles of paragraphs and other words, all out of place. First letters of chapters were out of place. I’m assuming it was all due to being an arc, but it made it worse. Quotes in the middle of the pages also were badly places and bled into the other paragraphs.  I tried fixing it different ways, but it just didn’t work for me to read.

(I will not be posting a review on Goodreads or Amazon at this time, because I could barely get through a few chapters.)
I was excited to receive a digital copy of this book to read it. Honestly, I am not the target audience for this book. It is just another self-help book nothing special and new was added in this book. Once thing I noticed was that there was a lot of Christian talk which is  not what I am personally interested in.
I found the author being pretty much self-centered writing this book. I didn’t find anything new for me in the book. And the author didn’t really offer any advice in this book. I didn’t find it as exciting as I heard about it in social media.

Many thanks to  Netgalley and the publisher for sending me a kindle edition to read and share my review.
Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis is the best self help book I have read in a long time. This books offers smart and witty practical advice on achieving your goals despite the inevitable obstacles we all face. One of the best quotes is in page 129 and reads, “I am not the only woman who is making herself small to makes others feel more comfortable.” On page 182 Hollis also says, “Childhood trauma is not a life sentence.” #netgalley #rachelhollis #girlwashyourface #nonfictionbooks #selfhelpbook

Posted on Instagram @janetreads
Thank you NetGalley, Rachel Hollis and Thomas Nelson for the free e-book in exchange for an honest review.

Each chapter is a different lie that we have all once believed in our lives that made us feel overwhelmed or unworthy and Hollis talks like a BFF having a glass of wine while discussing these very lies and what you can do to combat them.

This is my first ever non-fiction book and I was very nervous that it was going to be tough to get through because it wouldn’t be my type of thing, but I was pleasantly surprised by the mostly short chapters and the insights that actually really applied to my life. I found it really did seem like you were talking to someone close to you because she is so real and so honest with her life and makes you feel like you can do this because you aren’t alone in these experiences. I also felt bad reading some of these chapters, because I have been guilty of some of the things she’s discusses in her book. For instance, I judge people too quickly sometimes when something is going on in public, when really I should be thinking about how much they are dealing with and they need help instead of judgment. I also am guilty of the negative self talk and sometimes I find myself even doing it out loud to my girlfriends and I found some of Hollis’ ideas on how to combat those have already come in handy. There are so many quotes in this novel that I adored and will be keeping close by so that I can use them to battle the tough days.

Out now! I definitely recommend giving it a try!
I have heard all the hype with this book and was curious. It was so good that I will be re-reading again for a book club.  Rachel is honest and frank.  I feel empowered after reading this book.
Rachel Hollis' hearty experience and vibrant advice is like a light in a dark room. Her positivity is a sunny reminder to take control of your destiny and grab hold of your dreams.

The thing that I love about Hollis' stories is that she is honest about her struggles. But even in her struggles, she encourages us all to accept nothing less than our best. She asks all of to think of ourselves as more than mere mortals. We are creative souls who need an outlet.

Her sage admonitions ring in my ears daily. I can't wait for her next book.
I was given an electronic copy of Girl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies About Who You Are so You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be via NetGalley.  I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

With the exception of addressing her readers as "girl" way too many times, Rachel Hollis has a real winner with this book.  Girl, Was Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies About Who You Are so You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be is a book that I would recommend for mothers to both read and to give to their daughters.  I definitely identified with many of the situations that Rachel has found herself in and I wish that I had been given a book such as this one to give my self esteem a boost.

Between contributing to her own successful lifestyle website and managing her own media company, Rachel has raised a family with the help of her husband.  This book was born out of the insecurities and feelings of inadequacy that left the author feeling overwhelmed.  Rachel's story is inspiring, as she shows that even the most successful people have problems. Rachel lays herself bare in this book, giving readers her way of dealing with the situations that have arisen in her life.  I found the book refreshing, funny at times, and uplifting overall, so I would definitely recommend Girl, Wash Your Face to other readers.