F*** You Very Much

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jul 2018

This book really highlighted to me how rude some people could be and how it made me feel when they were. Small things like not acknowledging you when you let someone go ahead of you but when someone does, how happy it makes you feel. I like Danny Wallace's writing, he writes in a natural, humorous way that is so easy to read. Would recommend this book to anyone really.
Hmmmm I kind of enjoyed the book, I thought it would be funnier to be honest than it was after reading LOL reviews but it was a very interesting read with enough funny moments in it to keep you entertained. Fairly interesting book in all. Not a bad read.
This book is hilarious and depressing all in one go. Following a run in with a rude cafe owner, Wallace decides to research the phenomenon of rudeness and it makes for sobering reading. In fact, just reading the book could make you more rude!

Witty and thought provoking, this book will make you question just how long should you wait for a hot dog anyway...?

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC without obligation.
Never before have I read a book that has told me my life is getting worse by reading it. But still I kept reading. Must have been the line about rudeness killing the ukulele. Not something I find terrible upsetting, but a very funny image.

Danny Wallace has written a very funny book about something everyone of us has experience. Rudeness. If you want to stretch your brain, become hypersensitive to rude behaviour and generally just had a little giggle, give this book a go.
In all honesty, this was not the book for me. sorry, I don't want to sound rude(Well maybe) but it really wasn't my cup of tea-still well written and well researched.
This is an absolutely fascinating book with just the right amount of humour, anecdotal evidence, opinion, scholarly research and science to back up the premise that the world is getting ruder.

The tone of the book is conversational and welcoming, and really made me think about the impact that rudeness has on our health and wellbeing.

I read this over a period of weeks rather than in one sitting, and feel that it is a book I will come back to as my degree in social psychology progresses.

Many thanks to the publishers and Net Galley for the advanced copy in return for an honest review.
This book was so interesting, and well-written that I kept forgetting to eat my food, or talk to other people! Very rude! By the side - my daughter attended secondary school with the author, who was known as a bit of "nice" stuff.
He goes through all the types of rudeness around the world, and in the United Kingdom, and the United States. The interesting chapter for me was the one on teenagers, as my grandson is 12, and is turning into a grunting, hairy and spotty mess!. Danny recommends a book called the teenage brain, where someone explained to him, that the frontal lobe in their brains is not fixed until they get to 18, or even 21. (1 have purchased this book to read, and then give to his parents)
I found it helpful to know that there are differences between women being rude, and men, and the strategies they use at work, at home and in life generally. His tale about a hot dog, that he paid for upfront, and it took one hour to arrive, as they were "cooked to order", and this was a running gag all the way through the book, until he took his son, and went back to the cafe with his young son, and ordered another 2 hot dogs, and waited to see how long they took to arrive this time - it was around 10 minutes for his son, and 15 minutes for his..
Complaining is often effective, as long as you don't lose your temper!!!
An encounter with an extremely short-tempered hotdog purveyor prompts Danny Wallace to meditate on the nature of rudeness and why, as a society, we've become increasingly impolite, particularly on social media when we're cloaked in anonymity. Written in Wallace's trademark irreverent style, 'F*** You Very Much' is hilarious and insightful in equal measures.
An interesting book on how rudeness is far too common in this day and age. Danny Wallace investigates and researches but, sadly, doesn't have a definitive answer to how to turn the tide. However, the book is written in an amusing, light hearted and tongue-in-cheek manner, which makes it easy reading. A good holiday read that doesn't take itself too seriously.
This book is an investigation of rudeness: is there more of it these days? (spoiler alert – yes), how it can affect us mentally and physically and what we can try to do to counteract it. The tone is generally light but Wallace does talk to lots of experts (psychologists, neuroscientists and politicians) so this is not just one man’s opinion. Although it is largely concerned with the views of one man (Wallace) on a rather surly member of staff who failed, spectacularly, to serve him with a hot dog – the incident which led to these ruminations on rudeness. As always I was amused by Wallace but felt that I was left with a strong urge to do something: in this case to look carefully at whether I am sometimes a bit rude (spoiler alert – yes, a bit…) and if I could react differently to perceived impoliteness in others. Don’t be put off by the asterisked out cursing of the title – this a very British call for a return to courtesy, good humour and good manners (even if some of the examples given are from China, Russia and Colombia – if only the latter had been applied to the national football team…)
Danny Wallace is a very clever writer. He manages to keep you amused throughout this thesis on rudeness while at the same time explaining fairly complex human behaviours in an entertaining way. Who knew rudeness is "catching"? You'll learn why rudeness is contributing to the death of the ukelele and whether rude men and women earn more or less than their polite counterparts. We find out that men are more likely to be judged on their business results, and women are more likely to be judged on their personality - probably not news to many women...

The book races along and you learn about Wallace and his family and how he reacts to things along the way but the psychology and science are well documented and explained and I really enjoyed the way he integrated the learning with the stories.

Recommended if you are wondering if the world is getting ruder or you're getting more sensitive.

I was given a copy of this book by Netgalley in return for an honest review.
The book is exactly what it says on the cover. Amazingly it all started when the author wanted to buy a hotdog, the story is described in a very humorous way (but it couldn't have been funny at the time!)
Danny Wallace embarks on a scientific journey to understand rudeness. He has spoken to rudeness experts and commissioned rudeness surveys, all of which are discussed throughout the book. He explains the vicious circle which starts with a rude car driver which puts you in a bad mood for the day, including being rude to your colleagues who then go on to be rude to the bus driver.....and so it goes on!
Rudeness is Infectious!
I enjoyed this book.  It was an interesting diatribe on the modern habit of rudeness from Donald Trump down.  It seems that it is now fashionable to be rude which is unfortunate.  Manners are no longer necessary and being pleasant and kind is an outdated notion.
Some interesting comments from the author.
I've got to apologise for being rude to this book.  I thought it would be fine, but no great shakes – a collection of thematically-linked reprints of the author's disposable but witty columns in the completely disposable and oh-so-easy-to-be-rude-about Shortlist magazine.  Then I saw it was not that – although column-styled box-out asides do crop up.  No, this is a serious study of rudeness – what it is, how it might have grown, what we think about it when we encounter it, what fraction of it we admit to causing, and so on.  And the result is superlative.  In discussing psychological study findings so well – with levity and seriousness, passion and perkiness – we get a book that's right up my street.  A few of the studies seem to have cause and effect the wrong way round, but heck – just read the chapter about how doctors continuously misdiagnose and ill-treat patients if faced with a single instance of rudeness and pretend it's not a major issue for our times.

But Shortlist can still bugger off, Mr Wallace excepted.  £40 for a bottle of gin is bollux, I'd rather nuke Shoreditch than see the latest hipster breakfast bar there, and your film reviewer can't even describe a film, because he's a ninnyhammer.

Four and a half stars.
An interesting read in places although Danny Wallace flits between some serious and interesting psychology behind rudeness, with some real life anecdotes which don't always seem relevant. The history of rudeness and case studies from the past, for example Mary Whitehouse, were fascinating and perhaps the book would have worked better going down this route.
So, this was my holiday book of choice. I was looking for an easy read, funny, something a bit different that I could ‘dip’ in and out of while I was travelling. This book certainly delivered on this and more! Never would I have imagined that a book about rudeness could be a) so interesting and b) spark such a fascination and so much conversation about it!

Mr Wallace takes us on a journey of rudeness. From rudeness in terrorist groups (who’d have thought!?) to the differences in expectations of rudeness in men and women (loved this, this linked closely to my University dissertation years ago!). We also see the culturally tolerated rudeness (seen as not rude) around the world – from belching in public to spitting, this was super interesting as I was travelling in Malaysia and was surrounded a mishmash of all different cultures and societies, all doing seemingly odd things now and again. I’d have loved a section about what is seen as rude about the British abroad – we seem a little dull in comparison to some nations!

Danny makes this a really funny topic for what is really a shocking truth – people are RUDE and getting ruder. He uses a huge wealth of fantastically referenced research to back up his points and yet doesn’t bombard us with facts, facts, facts. It’s just enough information to be a light book, but is still a persuasive and informative non-fiction. Triggered to write his book by ‘the hot dog incident’ (read it and you’ll see), the event is slowly unpicked and given a variety of different angles and reasons throughout the different chapters – Mr Wallace, you were right, Mrs Hotdog was wrong!

This was a NetGalley book that I was lucky enough to be given an ARC of and I’m so glad I requested it. I will be recommending this to lots of people, as well as my husband for this read (which is rare, trust me!) – although he did hear me laugh and quote the book ALOT on holiday…

A truly surprising and interesting read. If you think teenagers are rude, phones are making us ruder, the French are a rude nation (sorry, or, je suis désolé) or just have an interest in language or how society works then this book is for you. You’ll love it, trust me.
The author finds himself being rudely put down by a lady in a hot dog shop one day, and then embarks on a journey of self-confessed pettiness to study the nature of rudeness and figure out why she was being such a massive arse.

I can get behind pettiness, very few of us are above petty revenge but this does seem to be going a little above and beyond. That said, it does give the book something to tie everything in.

Aaaaanyway, he then discusses the nature of rudeness with a variety of specialists (yeah, they exist!) though not in any great depth. He also pays for a report to be written, surveying the opinions of 2000 people regarding rudeness – this was a highlight for me, I love statistics!

There were some really interesting chapters to this book, including anecdotes about Mockus, former Mayor of Bogota, Colombia and his unconventional approach to changing the attitude and behaviours of an entire city (it involves mooning and employing mimes, though not at the same time because obviously that would be weird).
I also enjoyed the exploration of ‘extreme honesty’ as an excuse to be rude and unpleasant under the guise of therapy and lifestyle.

The idea of the book and the research made for an enjoyable read, but the author’s voice didn’t really do it for me – maybe it’s just envy on my part that it comes as a shock to him when someone is overtly rude to him.
I enjoyed this, and found it easy to relate to. We all encounter or partake in rudeness regularly. The only problem I had that it was a bit too long.
Well written, great humour. I would recommend it.
I requested this book as I wanted a change from my normal reading choices. At first I found it interesting and occasionally funny, with Wallace seeming to be as much of a manners pedant as I am. But it started to get repetitive and lost its way a little. By the end I began to sympathise less and less with Wallace and to wonder if his constant position of being offended was actually the reason he is a victim of so much rudeness. It was an interesting idea for a book but didn’t quite hit the mark.
A rallying cry for a return to basic courtesy and human decency, this is a book that is funny, well written and very educational. The Hot Dog Incident, which started Wallace's fascination with the rise of rudeness, is an extreme example of the kind of interactions nearly all of us have regularly, mostly with total strangers. Wallace examines this through research, observation and a light touch. If you despair for humanity sometimes, reading this book will make you feel less alone and also encouraged to be less tolerant of rudeness when you encounter it (and how to combat it). Because it's not your imagination - people are ruder than they used to be. And this book goes some way to explaining why, and why it is a contagious, vicious circle we must work harder as a society to break. Well worth a read.