Where the Sea Takes Me

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 Jun 2018

I was not impressed. As a reader I wanted Deni and Sienna to end up together,  but it was almost boring.  Even the possible romance and tension with Spider was over quickly since Sienna was still infatuated with Deni. After stretching it out over most of the book, the reason Deni was not married was dull.
There was a lot to their trip that was far-fetched. That they would see the exact human trafficker who took the girl's sister AND find the sister. When Deni jumped in the pool and saved Sienna after we know he can't swim, unless they were in the shallow end, that also seems hard to believe. This sequel was not needed.
3 stars. This was an ok book but i did like the first book (Where I found you) more. I found Where I found you more interesting than Where the sea takes me. But I did enjoy this book, tge character are good and are interesting to read about. I do like the ending of the book as it leaves it off well. I would have liked the characters to be described better though and know more about them and see more of other characters such as Amelie as she was an interesting character. But all in all this was a good book.
Despite not reading the first book in the series it wasn't difficult to follow the plot. The author gives hints throughout the book about what happened before when Deni and Sea met without spoiling the book for those who didn't read the first part of the series. I really enjoyed this story. The couple is adorable and the book addresses an important issue which is sex trafficking.
This is the follow up to Where I Found You but it can be read as a stand-alone.

2 years have passed since Sienna said goodbye to Deni. Now she is just about to finish up college for the summer and getting ready for a trip to Cambodia to help traumatized girls who have been sex trafficked. But she is in for the shock of a like when Deni makes a surprise appearance in her life – could this mean a second chance for them?

Ah… this book was just as actioned pack and full of adventure as the first. I thought for a second I could smell a love triangle in the works but thankfully this didn’t happen. On a side note, I would like a book about Spider.

It was great to see that Sienna had matured and grown p a bit, she has finally accepted her father’s relationship with Val and she has a little brother now. I felt like she was emotionally in a better place in this book.

The tension and happiness when she is reunited with Dani is just tangible. I loved it, it certainly hits you in all the feels. Deni is still the chill free spirited guy he was in the first book. I can’t tell you how much I was rooting for these two to sort through thier shit and be together, it was so obvious that they still have very strong feelings for one another.

Finally, the ending was just so perfect!
Where the Sea Takes Me was a sequel to Where I Found You. And I found this out a bit way 20% done with it. I was discouraged to continue on then but I saw some say that it’s totally okay to read Where the Sea Takes Me without reading Where I Found You.

Cover. The cover looks gorgeous. I am a sucker for anything that features skies. Requested this book solely based on its cover and the word of mouth that it was an amazing read. Fortunate enough to be approved of the title.

Plot. It follows the story of Sienna who was lost and blue; lost her mother through an unfortunate accident and forced to leave her love, Dani from a volunteer work in Indonesia.

As life was starting to fall back into order; her best friend Spider in love with her and it seems to be mutual. But when  Siena receives a news from her father that a person is scheduled to visit them and this person is Dani. Shocked to her core. Her life seems to be messier than it ever was.

Yes, there is a love triangle involved in here. And I am not huge about it. Why? A character from one side of this triangle was dropped like Rose’s necklace to bottom of the ocean.

There were no further settlements or elaborations that bridged his relationship with Siena. Then everything was rainbows and butterflies in Siennalandia’s love life.

I love that it tackles on the topic of sex trafficking in South East Asian countries, it brings highlight to how actively present it here in SEA countries. As a person who lives in this area, it was a topic that easily captures my heart. Although it was discussed here in a light manner still a point not to ignore.

Characters. Inspiring and interesting, the breadth of diversity is notable.

Overall, it has interesting and not so interesting narratives throughout. A read that brings light to second chances and a new hope.

Where the Sea Takes Me has:

-diverse characters
-discusses social issues
-love triangle
-quick burn romance
I honestly could not get into this book. I ended up dnf (did not finish). I'm really thinking it's because it's a second installment of a series. The synopsis didnt give an indication that it was a "book 2". I really would appreciate publishers to somehow make that be on the cover somewhere. I've done this twice now. I mean it's my own fault for not looking it up before requesting from netgalley but I was so excited to receive the opportunity to read and review a book.
Such a great story!  I didn't realize there was another book before this until mid way through the book!  The book pulls u in from the first page!! Will be looking for more books by this author.  Thank you net galley and the publishers!!
I really loved this continuation of this series! I hope that there is going to be more books later on and we get to find out what happens to the characters a few years down the line. Sea is such a sweet character, that I loved getting to see grow up and become a better person. Deni is still just as cute as ever and I am happy to see him come to America. Overall this was a great read that I flew through in a matter of hours! I would highly recommend this be at the top of your summer reading TBR!
Where the Sea Takes Me by Heidi R. Kling is the 2nd book in the Sea series, and my first book by this author. Sienna Jones  first met orphan Deni two years ago while working with Team Hope, when they fell in love.  Last time she saw Deni was on the shores of Indonesia, until he came  to America to see her family and make a presentation to the University.  Sienna still feels the sparks of love, but Deni was promised to another.  I enjoyed this book, but might of enjoyed it more if I read book 1 first.  I found this book to be interesting, but not a great love story.

I received this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
After leaving the love of her life behind in Indonesia, Sienna is trying to find happiness again. She will never be able to forget Deni, but had no choice but to part ways with him. She's studying and working hard to have a good future, but missing people she loves has left its scars. Sienna hasn't been able to let anyone else in again, but someone is interested in her and she's trying hard to heal enough to be able to love again. When she's almost ready, she finds out Deni is coming to America. What will happen when she spends time with the boy she never thought she'd see again?

Sienna is ready for a next mission. In Cambodia she's going to help traumatized girls. Deni is joining the team, which means they have the chance to find out everything about the years they've had to miss each other. Can Sienna's heart handle being around him once more and what will happen when sparks fly like they did last time they were together? Will she give in or will she hide behind the walls she's carefully built around herself?

Where the Sea Takes Me is a beautiful romantic story. Sienna and Deni are soul mates, but they couldn't be together because they're from different countries. They've both tried to move on with their lives, but there was always something missing. Sienna is struggling with a huge Deni sized hole in her heart that doesn't want to heal, but seeing him again for a short time doesn't make it any easier for her to give her feelings a chance. They still don't live in the same country and could easily lose each other again. Sienna and Deni have something incredibly special and I couldn't turn the pages quickly enough to find out if fate would be kinder to them this time.

Heidi R. Kling combines serious issues with true love. She skillfully describes what the girls Sienna is looking after in Cambodia are going through and I was impressed by the honest and thorough way she tells their story. Where the Sea Takes Me is a moving love story with plenty of depth, which makes it incredible on many different levels. I absolutely loved this amazing story and was very happy Sienna and Deni got such a wonderful sequel.
This is such a charming little story. Where the Sea Takes Me will truly touch your soul. I thought this was a cute second story in a series. Although I haven't read the first, I didn't feel as though I missed anything in the series. Although you should check it out (Where I Found You (Sea #1) on Goodreads). I will be reading book one next because I loved this story so much.

In Where the Sea Takes Me we follow the main character of Sienna whom I really enjoyed. She had great character qualities and really seemed like a realistic college student. She is chasing her dreams and working hard to achieve them. She is still interested in a boy that she left behind, a boy that should be in her past. That boy is Deni, he is charming and from Banda Aceh. When he comes to America her world is completely shaken.

I thought the plot of this book was well crafted and the author did a great job of researching things as or before she wrote the book. This book gives you a great look at charities. More about how they work and their pitfalls. It was a different perspective than one I have seen before. It was like a peek behind the scenes.

The romance in Where the Sea Takes Me is swoon-worthy. Seeing the main characters grow and mature together was great. This is a slow burn romance which I really enjoyed. This made this a five-star book for me.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book through Entangled teen in exchange for my honest review.
Brilliant and eye-opening!
Thanks to NetGalley and Entangled Teen for the opportunity to read and review Where the Sea Takes Me by Heidi R. Kling!
Sienna has just finished college finals and is planning a Team Hope trip to Cambodia. Her friend, Spider, wants to make their relationship more than just friends and Sienna isn’t too sure about that idea. Her father knocks her off her feet when he calls to tell her that Deni will be visiting soon. Deni, as in the Deni that Sienna fell in love with two years ago and who she helped recover from the tsunami in Indonesia on her last Team Hope relief trip. Deni arrives and he and Sienna fall instep with each other and Spider doesn’t quite know how to handle the situation. Team Hope travels to Cambodia on a long ride and Sienna has her eyes opened wide to the beautiful country torn apart by war, poverty and sex trafficking. The Cambodian people have extreme perseverance and are living in the results of Pol Pot’s destruction. Realistic fiction, adventure and history create the story and a touch of romance brings it all forward. Where the Sea Takes Me is a brilliant, eye-opening read, 5 stars!
Achingly Gorgeous, Incredibly Moving and Absolutely Inspirational

Where the Sea Takes Me by Heidi R. Kling is a wonderfully written story about second chances, hope, and love. The FEELS in this book... so ridiculously overwhelming that made my heart and soul ached. It was too much to bear sometimes, but I honestly enjoyed going on this emotionally moving and inspirational journey with Sienna and Deni.

The ending in Where I Found You broke my heart into pieces, so I couldn’t wait to see if Sienna and Deni would get their HEA. Well, I was definitely not disappointed and the romance was adorable and totally swoony. As soon as I started this book, that intense wave of feels I've missed swallowed me back and I enjoyed every single moment.

Like the first book, this was amazingly sincere, delightfully fascinating, and exceptionally moving. Kling’s prose is so real, affecting and just so heartbreakingly beautiful. I definitely cried a few times and had to stop to take a breather. The plot was very intriguing, quite suspenseful, and engaging. I thought the characters, both old and new, were just charming, realistic, and relatable and I had fun spending time with them all. I enjoyed the romance too, even if I didn't get as many swoony scenes between Sienna and Deni. The ending, while not as emotionally epic as the first, was still satisfyingly sweet and incredibly touching.

I knew that this would not be an easy read considering I was an emotional mess after the first. However, I was not expecting it to be excruciatingly difficult and painful to read. Child trafficking and the sex trade business are extremely sensitive and tough topics to address and talk about. There were plenty of disturbing scenes that made me uneasy, upset, and at times just really angry. The world can be unpleasant, scary and even dangerous… So much hatred, violence and deaths. BUT, amidst all the cruelty, pain and animosity, there's hope, kindness, and love. Kling certainly didn’t shy away from revealing the worst and ugliest parts of humanity, but she also showed that there’s something worth fighting for… something beautiful and that’s what I loved about this series. It touches your soul and leaves you wanting to make a difference in the world.

Where the Sea Takes Me is an emotionally driven story I won’t easily forget. The writing is evocative and breathtaking, the characters so relatable, and the story is undeniably beautiful, heartfelt, and inspirational. The romance was slow burn in this one, but could still feel the intense chemistry between Sienna and Deni, and was rooting for them the entire time. I enjoyed learning a little bit about Cambodia and loved exploring the gorgeous temples, the floating villages, and junk boat river cruises. I learned so much from this story and will try to never stop moving.

If you're looking for a story that will move you and give you all the FEELS, then add this series on your TBR.

I received an advanced reader copy of this book from the publisher Entangled Teen via NetGalley in exchange for a fair review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Basically, this is a book in two parts.

In first part, there is love triangle between Sienna, Deni and Spider. This, even Sienna agrees to, is not so great. Spider likes Sienna and wants her to move in with him. Sienna is struck in her past, that is, Deni. Deni is back from wherever he was for two years. Now Sienna is really in dilemma about her desire and her duty. She yearns to go back to Deni yet she is afraid of being left to collect her shattered heart like two years ago.

Sienna becomes the object, for which the two boys seemed to be in the middle of the fight and this book was turning to be a Twilight, when the second part starts. Spider is gone and both Sienna and Deni are on Indonesia trip.

The Indonesia trip is to empower the children who escaped from the human trafficking gang. Sienna is responsible for teaching the three survival girls who survived the trauma of body business. She comes face to face with the reality that prevailed and the effect it had on the girls. She vows to bring this to an end. Deni is there to shoot the film so that he could use it to spread awareness against this all and bring more help to them.

The writing style is easy to read and simple. The characters are a little bit jumbled up and there isn't any attraction to them. Only the character of Deni seemed a little bit intriguing, otherwise the characters were a little bit off. The story seemed better in the second part than the first one. There is a sequel coming to this book and I hope Spider will be given a little more importance than just Sea and Deni. The little bit more information about Sea's mom would have been great to read.

Still this book is good and one can try this if one wants to read about two broken souls that heal each other in their own broken way. They both lives apart yet want to be united into one.

This e-ARC was provided to me by Netgalley. I want to thank the publisher and Netgalley for this review copy. All the thoughts are my own and honest.
This is the second book in the series and continues relating what happens to Sienna Jones after she returns from a life changing summer in Indonesia working with orphan victims of the tsunami. It was there she met and fell in love with Dani, but fate stepped in and she returned home with her father, leaving him behind. I suspect it is important to read book one in the series, Where I found You, before embarking on this one - I certainly appreciated having done so as it fills in much of the background information and initial character building to make the story more relatable.

Two years later her father calls to inform her that Dani is coming to visit them but two years are a long time . . . will they feel the same about each other? Will he have married his Indonesian fiancée? What about her best friend who wants to be more, Spider?

The first story had Sienna working in an orphanage for tsunami victims whilst this one has her joining Team Hope to help victims of people trafficking in Cambodia. The story is well paced, insightful but filled with extra drama as Spider really doesn't want her to go. I had to feel sorry for him as he really wants Sienna to be more than his best friend. As a mother, I had a few qualms with this story - I definitely wouldn't want my daughter to be travelling out to a location where she'd be in danger of being taken to become yet another sex-slave for the traffickers without more mature adults and protection being provided to keep her safe. However, it is a unique story, a good read, involving taking chances and making the most of the opportunities life gives you whilst helping others.

I requested and was given a copy of this novel, via NetGalley, with no obligation. This is my honest review of the book after choosing to read it.
Where the Sea Takes Me is a rich, vivid novel set in Cambodia. It is beautifully written in a way that sucks you right into the story, the characters, the setting, and swallows you up.

The story revolves around Sienna and Deni, who are volunteering in Cambodia. They are well-developed characters, as are all the side characters around them. The romance will have you really rooting for them, and it doesn't follow any of the tropes so common in YA. It's different and refreshing, and it has a great plot around the romance.

This will open your mind and transport you away to a beautiful land of temples and junk boat river cruises.
4.5 Stars
The romantic story which started in book one continues in book two. However, the setting is different and the characters are much matured, no less interesting though.
Deni worked hard and finally got his chance to study in USA. Sienna thought she had left him for good, but now here he is ... in her home, in her country, and she can't contain her excitement. Although, her love for him is still the same but now there are many complications. Spider wants more than being her friend, he has been so patient with her and she feels as though she owe him more. Also Deni probably has a wife somewhere in Indonesia. So she decides to just cherish their time together and not worry about the future. After all this is the guy she said yes to when he proposed.
Deni knows that differences between them may very well drift them apart again. But he plans to try his best and may be in the end they could be together somehow. For now they have a mission to worry about. As he accompanies team Hope to Cambodia, he feels as if history is about to repeat itself.
I loved this story just as much as I had loved book one. It's a great read and I think all romance loves will enjoy it, especially if you like stories closer to reality and touching sensitive issues.

I went into this book knowing I was missing the start of the character development from book 1 but the description made me have to dive right in. The story is strongly about a girl who wants to make a difference in the world, in a positive way while experiencing life and adventure.  I quickly became fond of Sienna but never really felt a connection to Deni which may be due to a lack of reading his story in the first book.

The raw emotion of the child trafficking in this book is delivered well for being such a tough topic. It brings real world problems to the front of mind just by reading a story. This piece of the story was solid.

I will be reading book 1 soon to get an understanding of Deni, and because I love Siennas character.

3.5 out of 5 stars without reading the first book.
I was about 75/80 % done the book before I realized that this was the second in the series. Doh! Aside from that, this was a pretty enjoyable read.

I have only read one other book about sex trafficking so when I noticed this book I thought I would give it a shot. There isn’t many books like this to my knowledge. I think there should be more because this does happen a lot.

Sienna is pursuing her love of charity work which I find really noble of her.

She has a best friend named Spider whom happens to be in love with her. He wants to be more than just a friend but she just wants to be friends.

Just when everything seems to be going great Deni comes into Sienna’s life and it messes up everything for Spider.

I found this book to be very well written and very informative. It’s crazy to think that there is a world like this out there.

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book. All thoughts and options are my own. Thank you to Netgalley in providing me this book.**
About halfway thru the book I realized this was the 2nd book in a series.  I'm now getting the first book because I loved this one so much.  I found myself rooting for Sienna and Team Hope.  She is so dedicated it to it. Of course there is a love triangle. (there always ALWAYS is) .  There were some tough subjects in here but  King handled them beautifully.
Great read and I will be reading the first one.
Thank you Net Galley!