You Are Not Your Thoughts

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Dec 2018

Helpful for someone trying to be more mindful in an effort to improve their MH.
It’s hard to know where to start sometimes, and this offers guidance and more information.
This book is short and sweet. It has an interesting approach to mindfulness but it also feels a little repetitive when it comes to modern day views of mindfulness. Still, it didn't drone on and I enjoyed it.
You Are Not Your Thoughts by Frances Trussell is about mindfulness and dealing with negative thoughts.
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. I have not done a lot of meditation in the last few months, but using this book was very easy to use and it gave me techinques to use. That makes things simpler.
It's incredibly easy to get lost in your thoughts and insecurities, especially when outside forces brings you down and you can't help but maybe wondering if what people say about you is true. This was a testament and reminder that the voices in your head spouting negative and ugly things about yourself as well as the world around you is not inherently true and reminds you that you are not your thoughts, you are more than that. You are more than what you think, what you know, and what you do. Try not to get too lost in your thoughts and believe them.
There wasn't anything massively groundbreaking in here, but I think that's the secret. There's no big thing you need to do to become mindful or to take care of yourself. It's small and simple things like realising the future hasn't happened yet and we are living in this moment only. We also can't change the past so don't dwell etc.

all these simple tidbits are in here and it's quite nice to have them all together to turn to if you need a moment to sit back and reflect and calm your thoughts down.
For a short book, it packs a punch. Plenty of useful suggestions for mindfulness if you are looking for a self help book.
This is a very short book... and much of it could be argued is "common sense" and yet... I seem to have more clippings from the 100 pages here than from much larger books. It is stuffed full of perfect little axioms that are easy to remember/collect and are perfect to meditate on.

"Rather than being your thoughts and emotions, be the awareness behind them."

"If your mind is always rushing to be in the future and you hear yourself thinking 'when I do that I'll be happy, when I have achieved that I will be fulfilled' you could find yourself at the end of the road thinking 'what happened to my life?'

"If we know that most of our own thoughts are likely to be irrelevant then how can what anyone else thinks be any more relevant?"

This might not be life changing stuff (or it might!) but it is useful, it is easy to read, and it definitely stimulates thoughts and meanderings and that is to be applauded. If you know nothing about meditation and 'being in the now', this is a perfect place to start. If you know a lot already, it is a perfect place to gather bon mots for your commonplace book and then useful for contemplation.

I was given a copy of this book by Netgalley in return for an honest review.
I am training to be a counsellor and i would buy all of my clients this book as i really think it can help people.

It gives really good tips on how to achive mindfulness and nobody would regret reading it.
This little book brings much needed clarity to the world of mindfulness and talks you through the practice step by step. Short chapters make it quick and easy to read and perfect to refer back to and the language is like speaking to a friend. Definitely one I would recommend for anyone wanting to learn more and interested in giving it a go!
4  Just Breathe Stars

this is a quick mindfulness book. it would work better if the sections were more defined and possibly making each point ion mindfulness its own page would be great. there are a lot of profound things mentioned in this book and I copied a few notes for later use.  this book is mindfulness and you are able to find at least one thing in this book you can do to quiet the world around you
Taming a runaway brain is a challenging task. A thought forms, then multiplies, and becomes distorted until it takes the form of one or more new lives – excessive worry, excruciating frustration, crippling anxiety, or debilitating depression, or all of the above. The runaway brain darts in and out of the past and the future and ignores the present moment. Learning to call time out on the runaway brain, to slow down, to pay attention to now, to take care of this moment, and to live mindfully is not a simple thing to learn. This short, easy-to-read guide compiles common tips and methods to help the reader begin a mindfulness practice, and stick with it.
This book really teaches you how to truly live in the moment. We all need to learn how to slow our thoughts and how to correct them, and this book is an excellent tool for that!
This is the perfect book for those looking to embrace mindfulness. If you are only going to read one book about mindfulness make it this one and save yourself a bunch of time!
I’ve been meditating, to a certain extent, for several years now, but there’s always space for another refresher on some of the whys and wherefores. Step forward You Are Not Your Thoughts.

I don’t think there was anything ‘new’ for me in this book, but it was very well put together, reminding me why I meditate and some of the different approaches I could think about revisiting (my practice has probably fallen into a rut). For newcomers to mindfulness and meditation, everything is laid out very straightforwardly to get you started, and the quick introduction to different forms will let you figure out if one type of meditation suits you better.

I loved the tone of the writing. Mindfulness books can so often either go towards total ‘mystical’ airy-fairy-ness, or try too hard to go the other way and end up being almost insultingly dumbed down in a chatty, pop-culture “Oh, it’s just so cool, yah?”. YANYT straddles the line perfectly, leaning a little towards the more spiritual but in a very accessible, down to earth fashion.

This is definitely one of the better meditation books I’ve read. I used my bus journey home from work to read it, slowly, and I can genuinely tell you that I’ve never found traffic jams so relaxing!
Very helpful and useful book about mindfulness. I am just starting to try and practice it and am finding it a great help in managing my thought. Recommended.
An inspirational and helpful mindfulness book which I found beneficial to my anxiety. Definitely recommended if you need help managing negative thoughts.
Mindfulness is a great way to free yourself from worry, regret, of daily stress and of taking control of your emotional life. So many things in our lives are outside of our control, but our thoughts are something that, with practice, can be shifted to focus more often on what "is" rather than "what ifs". This book speaks simply and clearly to the benefits of mindfulness with great examples of how to put mindfulness to work in your daily life, finding the happiness and joy that is already present in every day.
I am so happy I read this book. It is a short and accessible guide to mindfulness and meditation. When I was reading this, I was going through a hard time in my personal life and this book really helped. It contains meditations that I had not heard of before that were relaxing. I will definitely keep this book as a resource and re-read.
I’m sure the good intentions were there but it came across as a little contrite and in places; almost sarcastic. I also found the content woolly, with no real insight into mindfulness at all. I’d advise saving your money and putting it toward a Calm subscription where mindfulness is both taught and explained in an engaging way.