You Are Not Your Thoughts

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Dec 2018

You Are Not Your Thoughts by Frances Trussell is about mindfulness and dealing with negative thoughts.
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. I have not done a lot of meditation in the last few months, but using this book was very easy to use and it gave me techinques to use. That makes things simpler.
It's incredibly easy to get lost in your thoughts and insecurities, especially when outside forces brings you down and you can't help but maybe wondering if what people say about you is true. This was a testament and reminder that the voices in your head spouting negative and ugly things about yourself as well as the world around you is not inherently true and reminds you that you are not your thoughts, you are more than that. You are more than what you think, what you know, and what you do. Try not to get too lost in your thoughts and believe them.
There wasn't anything massively groundbreaking in here, but I think that's the secret. There's no big thing you need to do to become mindful or to take care of yourself. It's small and simple things like realising the future hasn't happened yet and we are living in this moment only. We also can't change the past so don't dwell etc.

all these simple tidbits are in here and it's quite nice to have them all together to turn to if you need a moment to sit back and reflect and calm your thoughts down.
For a short book, it packs a punch. Plenty of useful suggestions for mindfulness if you are looking for a self help book.
This is a very short book... and much of it could be argued is "common sense" and yet... I seem to have more clippings from the 100 pages here than from much larger books. It is stuffed full of perfect little axioms that are easy to remember/collect and are perfect to meditate on.

"Rather than being your thoughts and emotions, be the awareness behind them."

"If your mind is always rushing to be in the future and you hear yourself thinking 'when I do that I'll be happy, when I have achieved that I will be fulfilled' you could find yourself at the end of the road thinking 'what happened to my life?'

"If we know that most of our own thoughts are likely to be irrelevant then how can what anyone else thinks be any more relevant?"

This might not be life changing stuff (or it might!) but it is useful, it is easy to read, and it definitely stimulates thoughts and meanderings and that is to be applauded. If you know nothing about meditation and 'being in the now', this is a perfect place to start. If you know a lot already, it is a perfect place to gather bon mots for your commonplace book and then useful for contemplation.

I was given a copy of this book by Netgalley in return for an honest review.
I am training to be a counsellor and i would buy all of my clients this book as i really think it can help people.

It gives really good tips on how to achive mindfulness and nobody would regret reading it.
This little book brings much needed clarity to the world of mindfulness and talks you through the practice step by step. Short chapters make it quick and easy to read and perfect to refer back to and the language is like speaking to a friend. Definitely one I would recommend for anyone wanting to learn more and interested in giving it a go!
4  Just Breathe Stars

this is a quick mindfulness book. it would work better if the sections were more defined and possibly making each point ion mindfulness its own page would be great. there are a lot of profound things mentioned in this book and I copied a few notes for later use.  this book is mindfulness and you are able to find at least one thing in this book you can do to quiet the world around you
Taming a runaway brain is a challenging task. A thought forms, then multiplies, and becomes distorted until it takes the form of one or more new lives – excessive worry, excruciating frustration, crippling anxiety, or debilitating depression, or all of the above. The runaway brain darts in and out of the past and the future and ignores the present moment. Learning to call time out on the runaway brain, to slow down, to pay attention to now, to take care of this moment, and to live mindfully is not a simple thing to learn. This short, easy-to-read guide compiles common tips and methods to help the reader begin a mindfulness practice, and stick with it.
This book really teaches you how to truly live in the moment. We all need to learn how to slow our thoughts and how to correct them, and this book is an excellent tool for that!
This is the perfect book for those looking to embrace mindfulness. If you are only going to read one book about mindfulness make it this one and save yourself a bunch of time!
I’ve been meditating, to a certain extent, for several years now, but there’s always space for another refresher on some of the whys and wherefores. Step forward You Are Not Your Thoughts.

I don’t think there was anything ‘new’ for me in this book, but it was very well put together, reminding me why I meditate and some of the different approaches I could think about revisiting (my practice has probably fallen into a rut). For newcomers to mindfulness and meditation, everything is laid out very straightforwardly to get you started, and the quick introduction to different forms will let you figure out if one type of meditation suits you better.

I loved the tone of the writing. Mindfulness books can so often either go towards total ‘mystical’ airy-fairy-ness, or try too hard to go the other way and end up being almost insultingly dumbed down in a chatty, pop-culture “Oh, it’s just so cool, yah?”. YANYT straddles the line perfectly, leaning a little towards the more spiritual but in a very accessible, down to earth fashion.

This is definitely one of the better meditation books I’ve read. I used my bus journey home from work to read it, slowly, and I can genuinely tell you that I’ve never found traffic jams so relaxing!
Very helpful and useful book about mindfulness. I am just starting to try and practice it and am finding it a great help in managing my thought. Recommended.
An inspirational and helpful mindfulness book which I found beneficial to my anxiety. Definitely recommended if you need help managing negative thoughts.
Mindfulness is a great way to free yourself from worry, regret, of daily stress and of taking control of your emotional life. So many things in our lives are outside of our control, but our thoughts are something that, with practice, can be shifted to focus more often on what "is" rather than "what ifs". This book speaks simply and clearly to the benefits of mindfulness with great examples of how to put mindfulness to work in your daily life, finding the happiness and joy that is already present in every day.
I am so happy I read this book. It is a short and accessible guide to mindfulness and meditation. When I was reading this, I was going through a hard time in my personal life and this book really helped. It contains meditations that I had not heard of before that were relaxing. I will definitely keep this book as a resource and re-read.
I’m sure the good intentions were there but it came across as a little contrite and in places; almost sarcastic. I also found the content woolly, with no real insight into mindfulness at all. I’d advise saving your money and putting it toward a Calm subscription where mindfulness is both taught and explained in an engaging way.
Many thanks to NetGalley, Frances Trussell and John Hunt Publishing for an ARC in exchange for an honest review. My opinions are 100% my own and independent of receiving an advanced copy.

You are not your thoughts - what a concept. If I could do that, I’d be a happier little lamb! That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t aspire to higher thinking. Now I know, I know, this is not a new concept but it bears worth repeating, or reading, over and over again. I seriously dove into the mindfulness/meditation world around 6 years ago and have read, studied and practiced a ton. So, I was looking forward to reading a new voice. Frances Trussell is based out of London and is a mindfulness, meditation teacher among other things. She has a meditation podcast called The Mindfully Happy podcast and this is her first book. It is small - just over 100 pages. I have to say that everything she discusses is right on the money. She offers many gems, or words of wisdom. The first third of the book she talks about mindfulness with the last two thirds focusing on meditation.

This isn’t a trite book and it doesn’t come off all buzz wordy. She knows her stuff and brings up many important issues that can help us lead a better life. Her main topic is trying to quiet the voice in our head. You know, the one that talks to us all day long, reading from a script that was written a long time ago, that criticizes and beats us down. That voice stops us from being our true self. When it is talking we are either living in the past, or worrying about the future. The amazing thing is no one else knows what that voice is saying or believes it to be true. Only us! We probably won’t be able to totally get rid of it but if we can at least be aware and keep it quiet, all kinds of wonderful things open up to us. With awareness comes space that will allow us to be more true to ourselves. One of the ways of creating space is meditation. Trussell takes you through from a beginning meditation to more advanced ones, explaining the how to and the goal of each one so you can progress accordingly. She also provides links to her website and podcast so you can use these additional sources.

I think the meditation part she did better than the mindfulness. You can’t just throw out a whole but of platitudes and expect people to understand how to go about this very hard work. I would have rathered she focus on one thing with mindfulness and then go on to the meditation part. Like I said, everything she writes is true and important but without guidance I think most people will be lost. Certainly, if you are new to this, I don’t think this will offer any chance at lasting change, or even start you on the road properly. And I have a huge problem with that. I think it is irresponsible to sort of drop all of this stuff out there and not back it up. That’s how mindfulness gets all twisted up and distorted and people don’t really understand what to do with it. I don’t think that if even offers inspiration that will motivate newcomers to go off and learn more. Because I better understand what she is saying, I could nod and agree with it as I read along, but it didn’t help move me along in my practice either. So not for beginners, not for experienced. One thing she does say, which bears repeating, is that there is no wrong and trying is doing. Just by the act of thinking about your inner voice can make a shift. I would encourage anyone to explore this idea of “you are not your thoughts” because all it can do is add to your life in a positive way. She does a much better job with explaining the meditation. Probably because she teaches it, she is better able to break it down. For that alone, the book is worth it.
A short little read about wellbeing, mindfullness and meditation. It was actually quite a nice little read and was quite interesting but I just felt there wasn't much to it. It really wasn't groundbreaking stuff. Would make a nice little gift for someone who needs to be more mindfull though.