Cover Image: The Wartime Sisters

The Wartime Sisters

It is always so gratifying to read a historical novel that has been meticulously researched. The rewards are two-fold. You get to read a compelling story AND you learn something in the process. I learned not only about the history of the Springfield Armory during WWII, but I also learned a bit about Jewish traditions and the Jewish way of life.

The sisters in this story were very ‘human’ with all the flaws that the word represents. The story was well-paced and incorporated the history in an entertaining way.

The Springfield Armory was like a city within a city. It had a strong sense of community, with its inhabitants working toward a common goal.

How discrepancies in the way children are treated by their parents has such a profound affect on their adult personalities – and how it shapes their adult lives –  is the primary focus of the narrative.

Family secrets, sibling dynamics, and an interesting peek behind the scenes of life stateside during WWII, this story held me spellbound throughout.

Anyone who enjoys women’s fiction with a strong historical base will be sure to delight in “The Wartime Sisters”.

4.5 stars rounded up
Loved this story. The telling and the events are a set that have always intrigued me. I've always been drawn towards the second war. An amazing read.
A wonderful look at the dynamics between sisters and a world at war as two very different women find a way to make peace with their differences. Loigman's novel is well-researched and explores the family ties that both bind and repel one another. This read is highly recommended for fans of Fiona Davis and Susie Orman Schnall.
"The Wartime Sisters" is a surprisingly solid character driven novel. The sisters Ruth and Millie have a relationship colored by their mother's treatment. Ruth is the smart one while Millie is the pretty one, as far as their mother cares. It's a surprisingly solidly written story by Loigman that definitely makes me want to read more from her.

3.5 ⭐️Ruth, Millie, Arrietta and Lillian all have secrets that they have to navigate during the WWII era. I feel like I most identified with Ruth since she was steady, disciplined and always had a book in her hand.

Although this book is set during the WWII era, It is set in an armory and not of the front lines which gives a different experience than most WWII books.

I felt like this was very well written and that each of the girls had their own definitive parts as well as being part of the whole story.
The Wartime Sisters
As we follow the relationship between two sisters, who have grown up in Brooklyn, NY we are educated about the the war years in Springfield, MA.  It is interesting to learn that there was a very active Amory and busy munitions plant.  This is a great story of two sisters, the older one serious and studious, the younger, pretty and social.  The secrets they have kept from each other make interactions tense when, now, years later they move in together in Springfield and build lives during the Great War.

Again author, Lynda Cohen Loigman, has found a little known piece of history from World War II and used that as the backdrop for a fascinating novel.  She has found a way to share a part of the United States history of what was happening in Springfield, MA to help the war effort and weave a story of complicated, entangled family dynamics into the history lesson.

Ruth and her younger sister, Millie are the daughters of Jewish parents living in Brooklyn, NY.  Their mother has from Ruth’s perspective played favorites as a parent and Millie was the favored daughter, young pretty and social.  Ruth was the bookish, studious older sister and has always resented her sister.  As adults they have become estranged until the war brings them back together.  Ruth is living in SPringfield with her husband and two daughters, in officer housing.  Millie has lead a very different existence and she shows up needing help for herself and her young son.  Her husband is gone.  As the sisters work through the burdens of sibling rivalry they have carried all their lives, they are also trying to bring up their families and live during war times.

This author is also not afraid to bring out the many different dynamics that affect every family and maybe more pronounced in families living in close conditions and with the added pressures of the Army.  Loigman writes about wife batterers, drinking problems and promiscuity.   She shows how families, both wealthy and struggling, seemly happy and successful to the outside world can be wrestling with problems they keep hidden.

Beautifully written and emotionally engaging.
As girls growing up in Brooklyn, Ruth and Millie Kaplan were taught to see Ruth as The Smart One and Millie as The Pretty One, implying, of course, that Ruth isn't much to look at and Millie isn't all that bright. Their mother's different treatment drives wedge between the sisters, as Ruth is constantly reminded that Millie's beauty marks her out for a better future. While Ruth is destined to do well in school and then marry a mensch, Millie is destined to be swept away by a handsome prince, marry well, and live an amazing life.

I was very moved by the conflict between the sisters in The Wartime Sisters. My own sister is one of my closest friends, so a story about sisters who couldn't connect and couldn't trust each other made me sad. The author did an amazing job with a layered, complex misunderstanding, based on years of different treatments and unspoken expectations.

There was one moment, right after Millie arrived in Springfield, when I was afraid the book was about the reversal when the pretty girl in high school is now a single mom, looking for a menial job, but fortunately, the story swerves before we get too much about that. Instead, we see how the war has affected everyone.  In Springfield, the sisters meet Arietta, a cook and singer viewed with suspicion because of her Italian background, and Lillian, an officer's wife with her own secrets. This is solid, character-driven fiction.

I found the final conflict completely surprising, especially since there were other moments that were a little predictable and obvious. I don't want to reveal too much, so you can be surprised too, but I did not see Lenny's story ending that way at all!
Loved this book! I have really enjoyed both of Lynda Cohen Loigman's books. Her knowledge of the history is spot on, writing is clear, and characters are well-developed. Very interesting read! I can't wait to read more of her books in the future.

I really enjoy historical fiction and was looking forward to a different topic covering WWII, but I felt a bit deceived by the blurb as this was more fitting for women's fiction. With that being said I did enjoy the story. I have had The Two- Family House by the same author on my tbr list for years. I think I'll go ahead and read that soon since the authors writing style was engaging.
The Wartime Sisters is a wonderful addition to the WW ll works of fiction. This one is based closely on a particular place and time-Springfield Massachusetts-and depicts two sisters in a very realistic manner with secrets kept and revealed. I felt like I was transported back in time and it was very realistic and engaging. I have read a lot of books from this time period but most are not tied so specifically to an American city. This was a very enjoyable read and I thank #netgalley for the chance to read #thewartimesisters
I enjoyed this novel. A great tale of two sisters. Loigman is a talented writer and I fell into the story rather quickly. Would definitely recommend it.
I've read and loved a lot of WWII fiction, but this one was a bit of a miss for me. I did not feel invested in the characters or storyline. I think others could love it though. Sadly it was a DNF for me.
I love historical fiction and this book was a good one.  Does the title The Wartime Sisters refer to the relationship between the sisters or to the time period?  Both of course. Lynda Loigman grabs the reader's attention at the very beginning and holds it until the end.  I highly recommend this book!
I really enjoyed this book.  I have two sisters and they are very close - I am not as close with either of them.  I could relate to the dynamics.  I love reading WWII historical fiction, as well as nonfiction.  I can't imagine living then - although my parents and grandparents lived through it - on this side of the world.  I look forward to reading more books from this author.
I love this historical book! I loved how it took me back to a time when women really were powerful, brave and just down right inspiring!!
I love how Lynda Loigman shows you relationships in her novels. She knows how to create a family dynamic that you feel a part of. With Wartime Sisters she draws you into a family and a time i want to learn more about.

I really love Historical Fiction and this book fit my historical fiction need.

I learned about Jewish traditions I didn't know existed. I like how Lynda incorporates those traditions in her books.

Lynda researched this book well and I feel like I can count on her for accuracy!

Pick up this book if you like family dynamic. Pick up this book if you love historical fiction.
Set in Springfield Armory during World War II sisters Ruth and Millie will confront secrets, family dynamics, and each other in this well written wartime saga.
This was a great read. I was mesmerized from the beginning. Lynda Cohen Loigman is a great storyteller. The female characters were Armstrong woman ,at a  very important time in our history and this book reflects that.  It is not only the story of two sisters. It is about the sisterhood of woman during wartime. Thank you  NetGalley, St Martin's Press, and Lynda Cohen Loigman for the ARC.
This novel was an interesting exploration of the relationship between two sisters. Although World War 2 served as a backdrop to the story, the "war" referenced in the title appears to relate more to the sisters' interactions with each other. The experiences seemed real, including the differing expectations put on the sister by their parents who only wanted the best for each -- even if those expectations illuminated bias within the home, and put unique pressures on each girl that the other did not see. There were a number of other characters in the story, each of whom also received attention through presentation of detailed backstories. This pieces really helped complete the narrative the author was trying to develop, although it would also have been interesting to read about Grace's backstory -- why are some people so insecure and petty? what were her reasons? Quite the journey and a thoughtful read.
This book is about the relationship between sisters and all of the dynamics that entails including jealousy, resentment, and feelings of shortcomings when comparing ourselves to each other.  I often felt like a "Ruth" compared to my "Millie" sister, but reading Millie's chapters allowed me to reconsider my relationship with my own sister and gave me a new sense of appreciation for what my sister has been through on her journey.  I will be recommending this one to my Millie in hopes she can understand me better through Ruth.