The Night Before

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 14 May 2019

This is a real page turner.  It kept me on the edge of my seat and I didn’t want to put it down until I was finished reading. (Which of course is impossible because there’s real life!) This book is a must if you enjoy suspense, plot twists, and some psychological questioning. I definitely want to read more books by Wendy Walker. #netgallery #thenightbefore #amazon #goodreads
Thanks to the Publisher and NetGalley for this ARC.

I REALLY enjoyed this book. It went along differently than most thrillers I have read with it basically naming the 'villain' from the beginning. I loved seeing things from the three different characters perspective, especially Laura who seemed very emotionally withdrawn with the way she viewed the world.

Anyone who loves a good thriller with a twist will love this book!
I really liked most of this book, but it was slow in the middle.  It took me awhile to get back into it!  But overall, a great read!  Thanks for the opportunity to read this!
**Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for giving me an advance copy to review!**

So, Wendy Walker's Emma in the Night stands out for me as a story I was talking about for a long time after I read it. It wasn't all positive, it wasn't all negative, but I was talking about it in every book conversation for quite some time. This one was a fun, fast read, but not one that I've been referencing back to. I'm usually pretty gullible, but even I recognized that there was a major red herring happening in this story.

Not bad, and it's fast, so I'd still recommend trying it out!
Thank you Netgalley for sending me this arc. I will be reviewing this book in the near future with an honest rating and review.
Suspenseful novel about a woman who has left New York City and moved in with her sister in the town she grew up in, in Connecticut. The reader eventually learns about her break-up in the city and the events that took place in her home town when she was younger.  The story starts with her going out on a date with a man she has met online. When she doesn't return home, her sister, family and friends start a frantic search for her which leads to events in her distant and recent past being dug up. A page-turner right to the end.
I struggled with this one.
I'm not sure if it's because I wasn't in the right mood to read it or whether it's just not a book for me but I was ready to DNF at the 30% point. I had however gotten into the plot and I needed to know how it ended ad what actually happened on the night before so I pushed through and actually quite enjoyed the ending but it definitely wasn't anywhere higher than a three star for me.

The main thing that put me off this book were the characters, I didn't like any of them and in fact found Laura quite irritating for basically the whole of the book but to make it worse the start was so slow. I was fed up with listening to Laura, and I couldn't sympathise with her or understand her at any point in the book I just wanted something to happen to push me to keep reading. It wasn't until about half way through that it did, but once it did I completely forgot about the fact that I didn't like Laura and got myself fully wrapped up in the plot - which I enjoyed quite a bit. There were plenty of twists I wasn't expecting to keep me on the edge of my seat but it was how cleverly the plot was written that had me. I loved working it out and seeing how everything was brought together to work out as it did. It really was done very well, by the end.
I just wish the characters were more likeable and it got started abit earlier than it did. I'm sure I'd have loved it a lot more if that was the case. I'm glad i finished it though, it was worth crawling through that first 30%

Thank you to NetGalley, the author and the publishers for this Arc copy to review.
The Night Before is one of those books I picked up based completely on the author. I honestly didn’t know what it was about, but if it was anything like Wendy Walkers first book, All is Not Forgotten, I would love it.

I was right!! The Night Before was a wonderful mix of suspense, mystery, and misdirection. The author has you questioning everyone and even wondering if Laura really was responsible and just got away with murder like they all said.

I’m happy to say even I didn’t see it all coming and had no idea how dark it would get before we learned the truth. For me the sign of a wonderfully written suspense book is one that keeps me engaged and guessing up until the very end but can still hit you with something you wouldn’t have guessed.  The Night Before is that book. Wendy Walker gets you so lost in the story you are a part of it.

I Loved this book and recommend it to any suspense/thriller lover. I can’t wait for this authors next great book.
This book kept me guessing!!!

I did not want to walk away from the story of Rosie's missing sister Laura. Although, as life will have it, I did have to put the book down and participate in my own life from time to time. The mystery in this story was kept taut and the suspense was fabulous. I think Wendy Walker has crafted another great story for mystery, suspense, and thriller readers.

I enjoyed the alternating between points of view and time line disorienting in the best possible way. This structure kept me off-balance and unsure of who I should trust throughout the story. This lack of trust in the characters, made it hard for me to *like* any of them, but I did care about how the story concluded. This is a fine line for me. I wanted to see justice for all, but did not feel myself rooting for any of the protagonists, and probably would have been satisfied with any of them being the guilty party.

There was suspense and story a plenty here, and certainly a satisfying conclusion that did not require any stretch to believe it was true. I will watch for future titles by this author.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an advanced copy of this e-book!
Laura goes on a date after a bad break up in NY, which made her leave her job and her old life behind. She lives with her sister-Rosie- her husband, and their child in their old hometown while she gets back on her feet. She doesn’t expect the roller coaster of events that will occur when she takes a leap of faith and goes on a date with a man from a dating site.
Written in two different periods of time: The night before and present day, this novel will have you wondering if Laura actually killed a boy from her childhood, or is someone is making her think that she did.
The writing of this novel was really interesting, I enjoyed the flashbacks to their childhood that everyone can connect to-running into the forest to play with your friends, playing spin the bottle, and even keeping secrets in a small town.
Thank you to St. Martin’s Press and Netgalley for the free ebook of The Night Before.

In this thriller, there is an overall unspoken distrust of Laura, who suddenly comes home to live with her sister Rosie and family. What exactly happened at the party many years ago that left her boyfriend dead and her eventually exonerated for the death, and moving away with a new name.

Rosie and Laura both feel like Laura has been unlucky in love, but both for different reasons. With Laura back in her hometown, the old childhood gang is back together. Finally a group of people who know and support her.

Laura is ready to start over and start dating, but weirdly, she doesn’t return from her date.

I was on edge trying to weave together the past with the present trying to figure out what happened those many years ago and how does it matter in finding Laura now.
I received a Digital Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I loved Wendy Walker’s previous novels, and was excited to read this one. This was a solid mystery with an intriguing plot, but it didn’t match the originality or character development of Emma in the Night. A quick, enjoyable mystery by a talented writer, but the reveal felt like an attempt to surprise the reader instead of genuinely shocking the reader with an explanation of characters’ natures And motivations.
I LOVED this book! It got pushed to the back of my shelf reading somehow, but I am so glad I finally read it! This was my first book from Wendy Walker, but after finishing it I am definitely going to go read more by her! This is everything that makes up a good thriller and then some! Thank you for providing a copy for me to read and review!
This was a bit slower paced than Walker's previous book, Emma in the Night, which I adored. I enjoyed this one too, but the end felt like a bunch of things I'd read before, and I wasn't as engaged with this one as I'd hoped.
This is a story told in alternating points of view between two sisters, Laura and Rosie. Laura has had a rough life, always struggling to find a man to love her. She meets a man and falls in love with him and he breaks up with her via text message. Laura then abruptly leaves her entire life behind in NYC to move back to Connecticut to live with her sister’s family. She starts her pattern over again, looking online for love and ultimately ends up going on a date. One problem though, she doesn’t come home! Rosie is worried that something has happened to Laura. Where is she? Is she hurt? Or did she hurt someone else, perhaps? ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
❼❺% of this book made me crazy, but in the best way! I had no clue what was going on, coming up with all kinds of theories. I was immediately sucked in. My head was spinning this way and that, going in circles, trying to figure out what happened to Laura. Or did Laura happen to someone else? ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
The storyline was like a bunch of puzzle pieces 🧩 and the reader is left to make them all fit together. I love a book that makes my brain 🧠 work really hard to figure out the truth and this story did just that. ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
An interesting aspect to this story for me was the idea of online dating, and how many creepy fish 🐠 are in the sea! I met my boyfriend on an online dating site and we’ve been together for almost 9 years. It’s so important to be cautious while going on a date with someone you never met and you don’t know much about. Like, you don’t even know for sure if they gave their real name. I can’t say that I was always as diligent as I should have been, but Laura sure wasn’t. I mean who goes on a date with a stranger and doesn’t make sure their cell phone is charged?! She did all the wrong things, even when her gut was telling her not to. It’s still believable though, because it happens a lot in real life. ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
If you’re looking for a fast-paced, fun read that keeps you guessing, check this one out! I really enjoyed it and look forward to more twisty, thrillery goodness from @wendywalkerauthor
I have talked about this book in my TBR and Wrap Up videos on my youtube channel.
Laura Lochner has had her share of bad luck when it comes to love. She always seems to pick the wrong men. Men that aren’t good for her. Men that eventually leave her. Mistakes she can’t seem to shake, nor the night years ago from her teenage years. A dark past that seems to haunt her.

After her latest bad relationship, Laura finally moves back into her hometown that she hoped to stay away, to live with her sister Rosie and her husband Joe. Laura is ready to move on, ready to stop making mistakes and give dating another shot with a man she meets online, who she hopes won’t know her past history.

But when Laura fails to come home the morning after, her sister Rosie starts to wonder what happened the night before.

I've been in a slump lately when it comes to psychological thrillers, even though they are my favorite genres, I've been avoiding them because there hasn't been that many great ones published lately. But, this is the one book that has pulled me out of this! To me, this was the perfect mystery/thriller/suspense book. I usually am able to predict the twist very early on in a book but with this one, I really didn't see it coming.

The story is narrated through two POVs by sisters, Rosie and Laura. Laura went on a date with a stranger that she met online.  Rosie started panicking when Laura failed to get back home after her date. She was worried about her sister. Who is the stranger that she went out with? Why is her phone off? Is she safe? And interestingly, given Laura’s history, is the stranger safe?

The Night Before is a suspenseful, well-crafted read that will have your head spinning. I didn’t know where the story was going. I couldn’t even guess since my mind was working too fast trying to keep up with Laura and Rosie’s narrations. The pacing was well-balanced with no dull moments.  Laura’s narrative explained the events of the night; naturally, this POV interested me more because that is where the answers lay. The red herrings in Rosie’s story had me turning pages faster in search of answers.

Many thanks to NetGalley for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Wendy Walker - I read one of her debut novels a few years ago, and absolutely loved it. I did have issues here and there, but she's definitely tied up some loose ends in her writing ever since.

I really enjoyed this one, lots of suspense and surprise turns. I love when a book can keep you guessing, and Wendy is one that can do that time and time again!
A mostly tense and thrilling insight to the present world if dating. To be honest, if I hadn’t found the only guy that I would possibly want to settle down with, I would completely be terrified of entering into the dating force, especially if it involves interacting with individuals that I have to connect with without  having prior interactions.
While I found it to be fairly predictable, I did enjoy the storyline and the almost comfortable feeling of a novel that I can pick up on the plot points prior to the conclusion. It’s not exactly my jam, but I still think it’s worthy of checking out.
So this was my first title by Wendy Walker, but my friends have been talking about her for a while. I am so glad I had the chance to have this be my first by this author. Very exciting! Do yourself a favor and read this already!!! Thank you, NetGalley, for allowing me to read this book in exchange for an honest review!