Cover Image: Come and Get Me

Come and Get Me

Come and Get Me by August Norman
Cannot believe this is the authors 1st book! This book and the characters were very well written and developed and the story, though uncomfortable subject matter did a fine job of bringing it all together.  From beginning to end I did not want to set this down till I was done. Thank you Netgalley and the Publishers of Crooked Lane for allowing me to read this in return for leaving my honest opinion.  I do recommend this book and will be waiting for more from this author and Catlin Bergman!
Caitlin Bergman has made a name for herself as an epitome of a journalist who is fearless in the pursuit of truth. In Come and Get Me, Caitlin shows that she may be willing to face the unknown but when it comes to confronting her own dark past, she has the struggle of a lifetime. Coming back to Indiana University, Caitlin surprises even herself by deciding to announce that she is at a point in her life where she wants to face the rape that was the reason for her sudden departure twenty years ago. Once that proclamation was made it raised a few other demons from her past as well as put her in a position where those who cared about her wanted some long-overdue explanations. Despite her commitment to following through, when she finds herself well and truly back in the town where her life was forever altered, her gumption starts to fizzle.

Given that Caitlin was a journalist of the highest caliber it was no surprise that people would wonder if while in town she would be consulted about the recent abductions that had been taking place. When she was first approached about investigating into the recent disappearance of Angela Chapman, Caitlin was not really interested in pursuing it, she had her goals for the trip and she wanted to stick to that. As she became aware that her time in this Midwestern college town was more of an emotional challenge than she had expected, she decided that the diversion of a good story could be just what she needed to distract her from the difficulties she was having. What she had not anticipated was that her investigation into Angela’s disappearance would put her in closer proximity to her own painful past than she wanted and would take her down a rabbit hole darker than anything she could have imagined.

The subject matter of Come and Get Me vacillated between intrigue, alarm and revulsion when Caitlin’s investigation started to uncover the truth behind the disappearances taking place. While reading this story and following its twists and turns, even I was left shocked at what was really taking place in this small town. With each reveal that took place I was left alternating between fascination and horror for what I was learning. Woven in between the backstory of the personal journey Catilin has been on dealing with her own rape is a psychological thriller than delivers all the suspense and intrigue that you would expect with that genre. The pacing was fast and the details in the story were believable, which only added to the fear factor. Come and Get Me is the type of story that will have you second guessing everyone’s motives and will give you no time to feel lulled into a sense of calm, your eyes will not leave the pages until the story is done with you! It is a must read of 2019!

This review is based on a complimentary book I received from NetGalley. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating.
3.5 stars for this pretty solid debut. I was a little nervous at first when I realized that the author was male and that he was tackling issues such as college sexual assault from a female's point of view, but overall I thought he did a pretty solid job with the affected characters. Well developed characters, and I thought the sense of place was really well done- the author captured a sense of a "safe" college town where danger can hide in plain sight just as easily as a big city. There are some turns I didn't expect, and while this definitely reads like it could be a standalone, it's also set up well for a series- and I wouldn't mind reading more about Caitlin (though to be fair, she's maybe been through enough).
Two mysteries in one! Sign me up! I was highly anticipating this novel and it definitely lived up to my expectations. I initially was drawn to this book because of the book cover! It was so captivating to me. A beautiful book cover always manages to pique my interest!

First of all, I totally fell in love with the protagonist Caitlin Bergman! She was a very strong character and I really loved to see the character development throughout the story. After all of the hardships she has endured, she has managed to become a very successful journalist.

I really enjoyed how the story had multiple layers, and how it was totally unpredictable. It was a fast-paced edge-of-your-seat thriller! Without giving too much away, there is a part in the book where you understand where the title comes from and I just LOVED how it all came together. Big Thumps up for me.

After reading, I just had to research to see if there would be another Caitlin Bergman novel because I needed more! If it does become a series, I will be reading each and every one of those books!

I already cannot wait to read the next book from August Norman.
I absolutely loved this book. It was such a good thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat almost from the very beginning. I loved the setting, characters, the realism of the story and all the feelings it gave. It was one that was impossible to put down.

Thank you NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for the ARC of this book. I highly recommend it.
There is a serial kidnapper stalking college campuses looking for college women who he can add to his collection of dolls.   This book gripped me from the first page.   At the beginning we find a single mom who ignores her only child and as such sleeps with many men, creditors, and takes pills so she can deal with life.  This activity by his mother is the impetus to him devising a plan of kidnapping and keeping women  in  basement of his house.  His first victim was taken to an a abandoned cutting facility and raped and left for dead, however she was not dead.   Since in was easy for him to get the first victim he continues his quest  to having human dolls in his living arrangements.  From here we are introduced t0 a reporter who's goal in life is to stop sexual abuse on college campuses.  The reporter teams up with the police, and a friend who steps right in to stop this activity.     From this point the story captures the reader and the rest of the book does not disappoint.  I would highly recommend this book to anyone but especially to anyone who loves thrillers.
What happened to Angela Chapman?  Caitlin Bergman is back at Indiana University to finally get the degree she left without 20 years before.  She was raped and it colored the rest of her life.  Now she's a journalist and she's one heck of a person.  Have things changed for women on campus?  Why haven't the police and the FBI taken Angela's case seriously?  A good read and a topical one- wrapping in the Me Too movement and the issue of how things can be covered up on a campus.   Not ever having been to IU, I can't comment on how effectively Norman used it as a setting but I suspect, based on multiple local references, it's pretty well done.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.  Caitlin is strong, dynamic and someone I'd like to see more from.
4.5 stars,

Come and Get Me by August Norman is a spellbinding mystery with a strong female protagonist.

Caitlin Bergman returns to her alma mater to receive the diploma she walked away from twenty years ago following a traumatic rape. When college reporter Laskhmi asks her to look into the still unsolved missing persons case of her best friend, Angela Chapman, Caitlin agrees.  After college student Paige Lauffer disappears without a trace, Caitlin cannot help but wonder if the two cases might be linked. Will the local police take her concerns seriously? Or will Caitlin be on her own as she tries to figure out what happened to Angela and Paige?

Caitlin is quite tenacious as she begins looking into Angela’s disappearance.  The police department has thankfully gone through personnel changes in the twenty years she has been gone. But does this mean they will work with her? Detective Jane Maverick is abrasive but Detective Jerry Greenwood is a bit more co-operative. However, Caitlin discovers Jerry might have an ulterior motive for providing her with assistance.  No matter what his reasons, she will take whatever help she can get as she takes a hard look at the two men who were with Angela the night she vanished. Will Caitlin’s search for the truth put her in cross hairs of the killer(s)?

Come and Get Me is a sinister mystery with a multi-layered plot and engaging cast of characters. The storyline is complex and Caitlin’s investigation is engrossing. With stunning twists and cunning turns, August Norman brings this suspense-laden mystery to a breathtaking, action-packed conclusion. I greatly enjoyed and highly recommend this outstanding first installment in the Caitlin Bergman to fans of the genre.
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my fair and honest review. I love suspense/thrillers and this one certainly fits the bill in that category. This was my first book from this author, but I am sure it won't be my last. I found the book to be very well written, lots of wonderful characters and a storyline that pulled me in and didn't let me go until the end of the book. I was so engrossed in the book, and read most of the night. This is the first book in a new series, and I look forward to reading more from this series. I would certainly recommend this book to anyone that loves suspense/thrillers.
Come and Get Me is a chilling debut novel by August Norman with a page turning plot that will keep you engaged.
4 1/2 ⭐️‘S
A very fast paced beguiling read.  Norman has a very strong character in Caitlin Bergman, a crime journalist.  When Caitlin returns to college to get her honorary degree, what was suppose to be a quick trip, turned into a new case.  Angela Chapman has been missing for two years and Caitlin agrees to help find her.  A twisty road ensues with Caitlin getting more than she bargained for.  So excited that this is the first in a series!  Looking forward to much MORE of Caitlin Bergman!!
This book will keep you on the edge of your seat.  Very well written. Could not put down once I started reading. Strong subject matter.
I throughly enjoyed and highly recommend.
Caitlin Bergman, an award winning journalist, returns to the university that she left, weeks before earning her degree, twenty years earlier, to receive an honorary degree, Without any plans to do so, in her thank you speech to the audience, she admits the reason she left twenty years ago was because she was raped, an event that has colored every part of her being, throughout her life, whether she was aware of it or not. Now that Caitlin is back, she is determined to face what happened to her despite the fact that coming back is causing her anxiety attacks.

Caitlin is a tough, accomplished, independent woman who prides herself on needing no one but she realizes that she needs help and she gets that help from her former professor, now good friend, Scott, who is also a psychotherapist. She is also dealing how she feels toward her former best friend Mary, now the dean of media department at the college, who introduced her to her rapist. Caitlin can no longer hide all the feelings that are coming out now that she is back in the city of her rape.

But this story is about so much more. There is a kidnapper/killer on the loose, who is scouting out women to add to his collection. He's already taken several and he's always open to more. This psychopath has his sights on Caitlin, as she works hard to find out who took these women and how to stop him. The kidnappings/murders may be connected to a pot growing operation by students/former students and it's hard to know who to trust.

Even the local law enforcement seems like an enemy to Caitlin. They let her down twenty years ago when her wild past was brought up as a defence for the rapist, if she tried to push too hard on the toughest charges against him. And now there seems to be a cover up in the department about the disappearance of a college student two years ago, which could be related to the disappearance of another girl in the current time. Caitlin is determined not to let these girls be forgotten, not to let these crimes be swept under the rug, the way her rape was all those years ago.

Be aware that the subject matter is intense and horrific but we are also reading about a strong woman who is determined to face what has happened, what is happening, and learn to move forward, to heal, and to win over those who do such things to others. Thank you to Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley for this ARC.
I really enjoyed this book. Caitlin is a reporter who is dealing with her own story but the characters are complex and the plot is engaging.
This book was so captivating and well written that it made me uncomfortable. It was full of suspense and made my heart race from the very first pages. If you can handle the subject matter I would highly recommend this one!
I was unaware this was a debut novel.   I'm impressed!

This is book 1 in a series featuring, Caitlin Bergman, best seller and journalist.  Caitlin returns to  her university, where she left suddenly 20 years prior without explanation.  She announces why she left to the whole university leaving everyone shocked. Wowza!  That was interesting!  She is approached afterwards by a student who asks for her help in trying to find her missing friend. She agrees to help investigate the missing persons case of Angela Chapman who vanished 2 years earlier.

Caitlyn is a strong character fighting her own demons and I really enjoyed her.  I really could have done without the detective/sex part, to me it added nothing to the story but clichés but some may disagree.

I found this book started strong, was a little slow in the middle but picked up speed again and ended nicely.  I would like to read more of this author and of Caitlin Bergman so I'm all in for book number 2!

A big thank you to Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley for allowing me the opportunity to read an advanced copy  of this book! A solid 4 stars!
I applaud that the author draws attention to sexual assault and other dangers on college campuses in his book COME AND GET ME, the first in a new series about Caitlin Bergman, an investigative journalist, who returns to her alma mater after 20 years. He does a very good job of portraying the psychological scars and the way some victims’ past sexual history is used to intimidate them into not filing charges. Unfortunately, it isn’t enough to make this book stand out from other books - and series - where a journalist helps police solve a missing student’s case. (Fiona Barton’s “The Suspect” immediately comes to mind which features journalist Kate Waters…)

The story was very slow and seemed to drag on when I wished it would just wrap up. Also, all the explicit sexual descriptions were a bit too much for me. I felt some of the things in the story were just ridiculous and mainly included for shock value like when Caitlin slips on a used maxi pad. Why was that necessary to include in the story? In fact, why was it even necessary that a character being held against her will had to have her period in the first place? Yuck.

Another thing that really got old after awhile was the fraternity bashing and stereotyping. It added absolutely nothing to the story because there are plenty of non-Greek students who engage in such behavior or even worse behavior. It was distracting to read and made me think the author may possibly be harboring some resentment toward the Greek system from his own college days since he used real chapter names instead of fictitious ones. People who have not been in the Greek system should be very careful what they say about sororities and fraternities because the truth is, they just do not know what actually happens behind closed doors.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review. All opinions are my own.
Caitlin Bergman is back in Bloomington to accept an honorary degree from Indiana University. She fled just four credits short of graduation without telling anyone why. Now her best friend is the head of the Media Department and has convinced her to come.

During a Q & A after her degree ceremony, she is asked if she has come to investigate the disappearance of Angela Chapman who was a sophomore when she was last seen. Her best friend Lakshmi Anjale is a student journalist who has been keeping Angela's disappearance in the public's awareness. Caitlin also confesses that she left twenty years earlier because she had been beaten and raped. The police convinced her not to file charges and threatened to use her own sexual history to smear her reputation.

She has come back, partially, to face that situation and try to finally lay it to rest. But looking into Angela's disappearance gives her an excuse to stay more than the weekend she had planned. The movie deal money from her current best seller has given her the freedom to decide what she wants to do next. She thinks that Angela's story might turn into her next book.

As she delves into the events of the two years earlier, she meets those who were involved including Jerry Greenwood from the Bloomington PD who was involved in the earlier investigation. She also mentors Lakshmi in investigative journalism as they retrace the events of Angela's disappearance.

Meanwhile and intertwined in the story, we get some scenes from the character who took Angela as he focuses on a new victim and fixates on Caitlin.

This was an engaging page turner with a twisty, fast-paced plot. Caitlin in an intriguing character who excels in her work as an investigative journalist despite the trauma that still fills her life. I liked her and would like to read more stories about her.
Twenty years after a horrific rape while a student at Indiana University, Caitlin Bergman returns to Bloomington Indiana to receive her college diploma.  She was 4 credits short of finishing her degree before the rape but after the statement she gave the police about the attack  and her reputation were questioned, she packed up her things and quietly returned home.  She won several awards for investigative journalism and was invited back to her alma mater to speak and receive her diploma.  While in town, she was asked to investigate the disappearance of an IU student who hadn't been seen in two years.  This book follows Caitlin's investigation and her emotional recovery from her traumatic past.  I really enjoyed the book, it had lots of twists and turns and the ending was definitely unexpected.  I loved the characters, even though at times I felt Caitlin's actions seemed alittle foolhardy.  I enjoyed the setting of the story and I am somewhat familiar with the area, so that made it come alive more for me.  Definitely, not a story that is easy to put down.  I'm looking forward to more adventures about Caitlin Bergman, or if not to be a series, more from this author.  Thank-you to Netgalley, August Norman and Crooked Lane Books for an ARC in exchange for a honest review.  Review will be posted on Goodreads, Amazon and Barnes and Noble.  Definitely, one to be added to any To Be Read List
Caitlin Bergman, a well regarded journalist, returns to Indiana University to be awarded and honorary degree.  But in returning to IU, Caitlin must also face hers fears and memories on the rape she endured her senior year.  And while her rapist is in prison, someone else has started to pray on female students and Caitlin takes on the story with the full force of her investigative skills.  COME AND GET ME has one of the most engaging protagonists I've met in a long time.  She smart and snarky and has good skills, but she is no superhero.  Norman's excellent writing and good plotting put me in mind of the Elvis Cole series by Robert Crais.  Can't wait to read the next in the series.