A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Mar 2019

I found this book trying to be everything and ending up all over the place. There was no glossary in the back which I found necessary as the book over explains some things and require background knowledge for others. The section on asexuality was confusing.

I did like that information about healthy relationships and communication were included and that the overall vibe of the book is everyone is different and love yourself.
I really liked this book.  It contains concise and respectfully presented information regarding a range of Queer and Trans identities.  I found the simple format user-friendly and appealing.  I love that there is a section included that discusses what a healthy relationship looks like, and that everything written in this book comes from a place of love and respect.  I hope this book ends up in every library.

I also think that a snail wearing a backwards cap is the coolest thing ever.

Thank you NetGalley and Oni Press for providing me with a copy of this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
A book that needs to read by everyone. This guide is not only useful for those who are trying to discover who they are but also for those who are trying to understand the new world we live in. The amazing and vibrant artwork really made the explanations stand out for the reader. I don't think it would have been as effective if it was in  black and white. It did not sugar coat the truth. It really disaplyed the raw emotions that are needed when talking about LGBTQ issues.
Highlights

the art

the diversness

Thoughts

I really enjoyed this! It was cute, funny, and very informative. The art was very nice and comedic in places. This under 100 pages graphic novel contains a lot of information and text, but it's divided into several chapters including what is queer, what is trans, what is asexuality, what is a healthy relationship, etc. It was a quick but informative read.

In the beginning, I didn't fully understand why they were snails, but later on, in the coming out chapter, it all made sense.

The synopsis says it's for anyone and everyone, and it truly is. I am asexual and I like gaining knowledge about other sexual orientations and other genders, and even for me the was new information in here. As an asexual, I am comfortable with the label, but I've never researched it just in case I don't fit into its boxed walls. I didn't know this book would contain a whole chapter on asexuality, but I m quite relieved it did. Does small questions I had in the back of my head were answered and I'm oh so totally happy about it. Asexuality does not have boxed walls and it does not have gatekeepers. I could never be happier.

I highly enjoyed it and learned a lot about myself too 🥰

Strongly recommended to everyone
Short but informative guide specifically of queer and trans identities. The artwork is wonderful, and I loved the use of anthropomorphism. A lot is covered, but it's done so in a way that one unfamiliar with queer or trans identities can grasp the concepts without being completely overwhelmed, or it being too much like a textbook.
This book has some fantastic information for trans individuals, their loved ones, and people who want to be better allies. The slug parts were more informative than the parts with the forest beings and to be honest, I thought the forest beings were unnecessary. The book would have been better without them as a straightforward and informative non-fiction book. This is not to say that I'm not going to buy it for my library, because I certainly am.
This is wonderful, a friendly, cute and approachable guide to sexualities and gender. It's a calm and factual exploration of labels and why we need them with a trippy distinctive art style. Very very good.
This book is necessary but hard to read. First, the visuals remind me of sitting in a Mellow Mushroom; they're mostly pink and yellow pastels that are psychedelic and trippy. I feel like it's supposed to give a peaceful, hippie feel to it, but it's mind melting. I particularly felt like the section on relationships and self-love are wonderful and useful regardless of identification.
A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities by J.R. Zuckerberg is a free NetGalley e-comicbook that I read in late December.

A comic book in whirly, curly, colorful doodles from the perspective of wild snails looking at humans and talking to a domesticated snail owned by a queer educator. They speak of sexual orientation being altogether different from gender identity with fanciful creatures called 'sproutlings' existing on a spectrum of gender identity and expression. They also describe dysphoria as being kind of AWOL in one’s own body; finding freedom through community with others; transitioning into a form of personalized expression to tell people of as you see fit; loving yourself before opening up and sharing love with others; and safety within a relationship, intercommunication, and going separate ways.
This is exactly what is says on the tin: a quick and easy guide. Some of the information is a little simplistic, but it's a good introduction. The art is lovely and really helps what could be an information dump turn into something more engaging.
At first glance, I wasn't sure how this book would turn out. This proves that you REALLY shouldn't judge a book by its cover! Its colorful animation is fun and engaging but then the wealth of information keeps unveiling like layers that the reader can't help but read for more. This book had an amazing use of illustrations and artistic metaphors to describe some very serious topics and issues. Besides delving into the seemingly-daunting world of queer terms and identities, there is also great advice for an individual's mental health and maintaining health relationships. I especially loved encouraging readers to make their own zines as a way to express themselves like the authors did. I definitely would love to add this to my medical library collection because this would be a fantastic reference tool for many, many people who identify with the subject themselves or for professionals who want to learn about how they can help and do more.
This is a really cute and accessible book for those looking to understand trans and queer identities. The story is framed that a group of snails comes upon a camp circle where another snail, the pet of the queer educator Bowery, lets the other snails know all about trans and queer identities. One snail encounters a group of creatures called sproutlings, and their stories reinforce the concepts and ideas talked about in the previous chapter. The illustrations are really cute, and the text is very accessible for anyone, whether you know a lot or very little about queer and trans identities. There is also great advice about relationships and how to love and accept yourself. I think this book would fit in on most library shelves. Whether a person was questioning their gender or sexual identity, or someone was looking to be a better and more effective ally (like I was), this is a great place to start.
A Quick and Easy Guide to Queer and Trans Identities is a great introduction for people wanting to know more about gender, orientation, and self expression. The book provides definitions of words, histories, and encourages people to treat others with respect.

What I really loved about this book wasn’t the great illustrations or the friendly manner in which it’s written, it was the topics that were included. The book doesn’t just explore transexual and gender identities it talks about coming out, healthy relationships, and also different contexts currently at work within the world.

There are multiple ways in which these topics are framed, when talking about coming out, the book lets readers know that yes, coming out is great but not everyone can. Short discussions occur where examples are offered about why people do come out and why they can’t, but also not to judge those that don’t.

In addition to this, healthy relationships are looked at with negative and abusive behaviours being listed. The book not only lets readers know about these things but also prompts them to be aware of their own behaviour.

Throughout the book there are moments like this, moments taken to say ‘hey, not everyone is the same, don’t judge, be nice, everyone is different.’ It’s beautiful and exactly what you need in a book like this. While I may not be the target audience of this book as I have studied Queer Studies at a university level, it is an marvellous resource for any reader who is looking to learn more about the topic or themselves.

Favourite Quotes:
*picture of frame from  from page 37 of A Quick and Easy Guide to Queer and Trans Identities. - quote 'the world has plenty of feminine men, masculine women, and everybody in between. Just be polite and respectful, it's not that hard.'

“No matter the outcome or whatever decision you make, you will grow and blossom into who you’re meant to be and that’s an amazing thing. Try new things, take some chances. You might be surprised at what you discover and what feels ‘right.'”

Recommendations: I would recommend this book for young adults, children, or parents wishing to find out more information about queer and transgender identities and issues. The book is an excellent and very positive resource for people looking for an introduction into this subject.

I cannot stress how much I would recommend this for young adults who are trying to come to terms with their body and self expression. Not only is it written in welcoming and positive language but it stresses the point that everyone is different and that is there are no rights or wrongs.

Please note: I received a copy of A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities from NetGalley.
A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities is an absolute gem of a graphic novel. It's quirky, punchy, unique, and straightforward - wrapped up in gorgeous illustrations and interspersed with heartwarming snippets of true stories.

Although the purpose of A Quick & Easy Guide is to unpack some of the more popular labels used in LGBTQ+ discourse, it goes beyond a simple outline of gender identities and sexual orientations. Rather, it delves into the intricacies of human relationships and by doing so undercuts the narrow perception of what constitutes "normal" in our society. Mady G and JR Zuckerberg manage to educate their readers without oversimplifying the complex and often traumatic experiences of queer identity, to debunk arguments that these issues are "too difficult to understand" through accessible explanations.

That being said, A Quick & Easy Guide is not simply targeted at soon-to-be-allies of the trans community - it's targeted at those of us who already think of ourselves as allies, too. It can be all too easy to learn a few definitions and think of ourselves as "woke", but the reality - which this novel was brilliant at exposing - is that inclusivity goes far beyond that. In this regard, A Quick & Easy Guide can be quite a challenging read, but this is what makes it so important.

Being a cishet woman, I can't attest to whether this book was extensive in its discussion, but I can say that I found it extremely helpful in gaining a more solid understanding of terms and concepts that I thought I was already familiar with. I think A Quick & Easy Guide is a brilliant starting point for anyone unfamiliar or uncomfortable with LGBTQ+ identities and labels, and an essential read for anyone whose identity has never been restricted by rigid binary classification schemes.
A Quick and Easy Guide to Queer and Trans Identities is a fabulous comic for all ages that both introduces and expands knowledge of LGBTQ+ identities.

Whether you are queer or trans yourself, you have friends, family, colleagues, peers who are, you're questioning, or you just feel the need to expand your knowledge, this book offers a great knowledge base in an accessible way. It goes over different sexualities and genders, what different terms mean, advice for relationships and coming out, and more. The art style is cute, pastel, and lively in a way that makes it accessible to children, but leaves it open for all ages to enjoy. It doesn't feel watered down, it's straightforward and helpful. It is generous in information and style for all knowledge levels.

If you want a place to start for yourself, for someone you know who may be questioning their own identity, or someone you know who just isn't able to get the hang of what these identities mean, this is the book to go for. It's short, so it couldn't cover everything, but it packs a lot into a small space and serves as a great starting point for all.
I'm going to start out this little review by saying that if you are, or you have anyone in your life that identifies as queer/trans or anywhere on the LGBTQIA+ and gender spectrums, this little guidebook is your friend. If you want to become more educated in this area, like I did when I first picked this up, just know that you'll find a little dash of something that you need - and a whole lot more you probably didn't consider.

Cute artwork as a means of storytelling aside, I believe this book is essential for people of all ages - from those beginning to learn about sex and sexuality, those suffering from gender dysphoria, and even those who may not have been as supportive to someone as they could have been when they came out. While I obviously can't speak for the representation and educational background of every gender and sexuality discussed, I found a lot of answers to questions I'd never dared ask - either out of fear of seeming stupid, or of making someone uncomfortable.

This handy wee book speaks simply, in a way that's easy to understand, and is backed up with metaphors and dialogue by the sweetest little drawings throughout. Not only does it teach the definition of each sexuality and gender, and explain the fluidity of each, but it deals with a lot of (sadly, realistically) tough topics. Coming out, as the book points out, isn't always the exciting milestone in a lot of people's lives. In fact, there are many in too much danger, or surrounded by those least likely to lend their support, and therefore coming out isn't an option at all. This book deals with weighing the pros and cons of coming out, ensuring the reader has considered every possible avenue before they're free of their secret - and also mentions the dangers and disrespect of outing others. Such delicate topics were handled firmly, and in a manner that can't be overlooked or argued with.

What surprised me about this book was the addition of relationship advice. In my experience, speaking out about gaslighting, controlling, stalking, and breaking up are rarely spoken about so openly. This book deals with each of these, and ensures the reader is aware of dangerous signs from their friends or partners - but also to remember to look inward if they recognise any of these symptoms of toxicity in themselves. Truly, the message this book is sending out is that everyone deserves to live their best lives, and it's important to educate yourself and allow people to become their true selves.. Once we educate ourselves, and intend to treat others how we, ourselves, want to be treated, the world will be a better place.

Overall, I found this to be an invaluable read. Although I was aware of much of the content before diving into this book, I still stood to gain more insight into the lives of others, and I'm sure most who pick this up will, too. This book will be released on the 23rd of April this year, and if you want something short, sweet (have you seen those cute little snails?!), and educational, I recommend you check this out.
A wonderful way to explore and explain queer and trans identities. Would recommend for someone unfamiliar with the terminology and identities as a whole, and those exploring them themselves.
Attractive and cute illustrations!
Would recommend to any pre-teens and teens looking for answers and support :)
This is a book I wish I could've handed to a younger version of myself. In this beautifully illustrated graphic novel queer identities of all varieties are explored by our narrator, a snail. It is clear that this book was made to be accessible to younger readers, but I would recommend it to anyone looking to learn more about identities beyond their own, those trying to figure out what identity suits them, and allies trying to educate themselves.

Other reviewers have critiqued the fact that a book geared towards younger readers includes a section on relationship basics, but it was a touch that I actually loved. If you are closeted or struggling with your identity, there may never be an opportunity for you to learn about what the basis of a healthy relationship is or signs of a partner that may be controlling and/or manipulative. I think there is little harm in the way this was approached- emphasizing self love and open communication.

It is clear that the authors aimed to make this an accessible, inclusive read and I can wholeheartedly say they succeeded.

I received my copy of A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities from Oni Press via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This is a brilliant book that takes an in-depth look at the broad spectrum of queer and trans identities, and what that means to LGBTQ+ people themselves, along with allies. I think this book should be in every school library, and it would be a superb tool for teachers and parents alike. The author manages to deal with complex issues in an accessible way that makes the book an easy read, whilst still covering important topics in a way that is meaningful.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.