A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Mar 2019

Everyone, no matter their age, should read this little guide. The way everything is explained is very clear and colorful. It covers everything from sexuality to gender identity and what it means to come out and advice on how to do it safely; self-care, self-love, and relationships.
I definitely appreciated how they discussed the red flags in a relationship, how you should try to remove yourself from that situation and to take responsibility if you are the one promoting those toxic actions. It also discusses how sometimes it's important to remove yourself from a harmful situation or end a toxic relationship and to try to do what's best for your physical, mental and emotional health.
Overall, I highly recommend everyone to pick this up. I am definitely getting my own copy.
This seems like it will be a helpful book, but the format that is shared in this eARC is atrocious. The images are sideways and seem to be out of order, which does not make for easy reviewing. Honestly, I expect better, especially when good reviews are necessary for niche books.
The art work and colours are adorable! I recommend this to anyone who likes reading comics and is interested in learning about sexual and gender identities. I really enjoyed the "relationship basics" part, I wasn't expecting that in this book but I think it is amazing information that anyone regarding their sexual orientation or gender needs. And the "extra" pages at the end for the readers to design their own sproutling and to create a zine are wonderful ideas.

To revise for the printed and official edition: There is text missing in one of the drawings in page 61 and there are typos in some of the text of page 91.
"The world is home to such a vibrant rainbow of people, so why not genders."

This is filled with wonderful, informative and easy to digest information.
I did think it was geared more to teens/adults and younger people may need help reading and understanding all the details discussed. That's not necessarily a bad thing since it would hopefully spark conversation/questions.
They really touched on a bit of everything, including signs of toxic relationships. This is something I think all people should be made more aware of in order to spot and escape these kinds of harmful dependencies. This is especially true for anyone still coming to terms with their own identity who may not feel brave enough to speak up and/or draw attention to themselves.
This was a very helpful and approachable book for LGBTQ terms - a fun, eye-catching format that will be great for teens.
Thought-provoking, colourful, and educational, the latest graphic novel from Mady G and J.R. Zuckerberg is a great introduction to the wide world of queer and trans identities.

Covering a broad range of subjects from gender identity and self-love, to coming out and red flags in relationships, Mady and J.R's graphic novel guide provides a great starting point for discussions with loved ones, basic information for those who want to discover more or who are at the start of their own journey to self-discovery.

While some more complex terms are mentioned, A Quick & Easy Guide To Queer & Trans Identities is straight-forward yet engaging. Suitable for tweens, teens, and adults, it raises some interesting discussion points and topics that will have readers feeling both more prepared when talking about certain subjects, as well as inspiring them to find out more.

The art style if quirky, bright, and frankly just awesome. Personally, I am a huge fan of the first book in this series from Limerence Press (A Quick & Easy Guide To They/Them Pronouns) and this latest installation feels just as much of a must-read as the last.

I really can't recommend this one enough for readers themselves (particularly tweens, young adults, and adults) of any gender or sexual identity (many of which are covered within this book).
[WERBUNG]*

96 SEITEN
PREIS: 9, 50 € [D]
ISBN: 978-1-620-10586-3

Klappentext:

In this quick and easy guide to queer and trans identities, cartoonists Mady G and JR Zuckerberg guide you through the basics of the LGBT+ world! Covering essential topics like sexuality, gender identity, coming out, and navigating relationships, this guide explains the spectrum of human experience through informative comics, interviews, worksheets, and imaginative examples. A great starting point for anyone curious about queer and trans life, and helpful for those already on their own journeys!

Kaufgrund:
Ich habe dieses Buch als E-Book von NetGalley.com zur Verfügung gestellt bekommen. Das Cover hat mich sofort angesprochen und da es um mein Lieblingsthema - Queerness - geht, musste ich das Buch natürlich sofort haben.

Cover/Ausstattung:
Dieses Cover ist sooooo süß! ♥ Und nicht nur das Cover ist so bezaubernd gestaltet, sondern das ganze Buch. Alles wird mithilfe von Schnecken und anderen Waldbewohnern erklärt, und jede Seite ist liebevoll illustriert und bunt.

Titel:
Der Titel gibt genau wieder, worum es im Buch geht: queere und trans Identitäten werden einfach und anschaulich erklärt.

Schreibstil:
Das Buch ist ein Graphic Novel mit kurzen, einfachen Texten und wunderschönen Zeichnungen. Außerdem enthält es viele leicht verständliche Definitionen und Tipps.

Inhalt:
Ich liebe es! ♥ Es ist so unglaublich süß und noch dazu extrem lehrreich. Eigentlich habe ich gar nicht so besonders viel von diesem Buch erwartet. Nur eine kurze Einführung in die queere Welt, ein paar Grundbegriffe, so etwas eben. Aber mit so einem komplexen, unglaublich liebevoll gestalteten Buch hatte ich nicht gerechnet. Von Dingen wie "Wie finde ich heraus, ob ich queer bin?" bis zu spezifischen Labels ist wirklich alles dabei, und das auf nur 96 Seiten! Besonders gefreut habe ich mich, dass es ein ganzes Kapitel über Asexualität gab! Leider kam dabei das Thema Aromantismus ein wenig zu kurz, aber immerhin wurde der Unterschied zwischen sexueller und romantischer Anziehung erklärt. Auch das Thema Geschlechtsidentitäten wurde ausführlich dargestellt, inklusive Tipps zu Dysphorie und wie man mit seinem Geschlechtsausdruck experimentiert. Außerdem gibt es viele hilfreiche Hinweise zu Beziehungen, Trennungen, Selbstliebe und Coming Out. Besonders gut fand ich es auch, dass erwähnt, dass es okay ist, wenn Labels sich ändern, denn das ist es! Und das süßeste sind die DIY-Tipps am Ende des Buchs ♥ Insgesamt würde ich jedem, der sich für Queerness interessiert, empfehlen das Buch zu lesen. Vielleicht eignet es sich sogar als "Aufklärungsbuch" für Kinder?

Stimmung beim Lesen:
Beim Lesen des Buchs war ich einfach nur glücklich! Wie schon erwähnt hatte ich gar nicht damit gerechnet, dass in einem so kurzen Buch so viele (oft noch relativ unbekannte) Begriffe erklärt werden und das komplexe Thema Queerness so anschaulich dargestellt wird.

Fazit:
"A Quick & Easy Guide To Queer & Trans Identities" ist ein Must-Read für alle queeren Menschen, aber besonders auch für alle, die mehr über das Thema lernen wollen, um z.B. ihre queeren Freunde zu unterstützen.
5 von 5 Sternen!

Danke an Limerence Press, Oni Press und NetGalley für das Vorabexemplar, das ich im Austausch gegen eine ehrliche Rezension erhalten habe.

Text-, Cover- und Zitatrechte: Limerence Press

*Bei diesem Buch handelt es sich um ein Rezensionsexemplar. Aus diesem Grund kennzeichne ich diesen Beitrag mit [Werbung]. Für meine Beiträge werde ich grundsätzlich nicht bezahlt.
Really liked the art. Informative and to the point. This can’t stand on it’s own though. You need information from other sources to fully comprehend this.
This is exactly what it claims to be: a short, readable comic about queer identities. It's a great, approachable introduction to some fairly complex and heavily debated topics, even within the LGBTQ community. I would definitely buy this for any teen or young adult questioning their identity or coming out. It has great advice on coming out and healthy relationships as well. The style is cute, although sometimes the different storylines feel a little forced, and some of the topics end up a little glossed over. But I think it definitely accomplishes what the authors set out to do.
In one sentence: This book should be in every library, school, and Human Resources office. If you care about creating an inclusive space for your students, employees, and/or customers but don't know where to start with understanding all of the terms and definitions used by the queer community, this is the book for you. It is exactly what it says on the cover.

As with the last title in this series, A Quick and Easy Guide to They/Them Pronouns, this graphic novel is approachable, funny, and educational. I like to consider myself fairly well versed in queer terminology, but this book has given me a few easy ways to explain things to my peers. I've referred a few romance novelists to it (even though it's not out yet!) as a reference as they work to make their books more inclusive and welcoming.

While nothing can compare to actually being queer and/or having a queer community around you, this is a primer for anyone who feels confused and/or needs to explain their community to an outsider. In this way, I think it's a helpful (and fun) resource for people both in the queer community and outside of it.

Chapters include:

What is Queer?
Gender Identity
Gender Expression
What Does Dysphoria Mean?
So, What is Asexuality?
Here are Some Relationship Basics (This chapter seems aimed at teen readers and covers things like  self-esteem, recognizing abuse, and more)
What Does it Mean to Come Out?
The last couple of chapters of the book are aimed at the queer or questioning reader, but they're helpful for anyone to read. If you have a child, friend, or coworker who hasn't yet come out or is in the process, it can be invaluable to read a bit about how intimidating the process can be.

As with any educational text, the contents of this book will likely be out of date within a decade, but the book acknowledges that everything is fluid and changing. It also stresses the point that each person is an individual, so we shouldn't set expectations or make judgments of a person's queer identity and/or performance thereof.
Overall, the tone is optimistic, hopeful, and encouraging. It's a lighthearted book but contains the depth and nuance we need.

And it's full of adorable "sproutlings" and queer snails! The art is super cute and makes the density of information much more palatable.

Suzanne received a review copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.
Such a vibrant book! The art style and color template is beautiful.

The book does exactly as it says on the title. It's an easy guide to understand all the different identities, the difference between gender/sexuality, relationships, the journey and the community. It's told from the perspective of a very chipper snail. The tone of the book is very optimistic and educational. It's simple, straightforward and informative. I can definitely see how important this book can be in the right hands and how it can be used to educate so many people. Sometimes non-academic resources are needed for one to wrap their heads around new things or new terminology -especially with how language in rapidly growing- and what better way than in a graphic novel format.

If you're well-read on the topic then I would say don't go into it expecting theories or expecting to learn a lot  as this serves more like basics 101 (for some not all). But I still think anyone can find something they could enjoy in this book. I mean.. it's cute, adorable, fun, lighthearted, educational and has great art!
This is a cute breakdown of queer identities that is easy to understand and approachable enough for the general public. The artwork is cute and the terminology is very accessible.
By contrast, I received a copy of A Quick and Easy Guide to Queer and Trans Identities by Mady G and J. R. Zuckerberg from NetGalley. I am in love with this book, and I want to give it to everyone I know. What’s great is that at $9.99 USD, it’s actually feasible for someone at a limited income to purchase!

This book is wicked trippy, and I’m into it. And I learned things. Legit. From a 101 book. It’s current, it’s inclusive, it explores more in depth concepts (eg, non-binary dysphoria, the first time I’ve ever seen this in a published text; warning signs of abuse in relationships; aftercare; alternate personas) alongside the more basic ones. Although it’s cutesy, it is also nuanced. Also? The protagonist is a snail. YUP.

This book is slightly more wordy than I want it to be, but it’s appropriate for any age, and it is affirming of the most marginalized of LGBTQ+ identities, including non-binary and ace. Unfortunately, an exploration of Two Spirit identity is notably absent. There is no discussion of sex or sexual acts, and the complex, fantastical illustrations provide charming balance to the text.

I only have a few critiques to offer about this delightful comic. First, it is strange that the first block of text inside the cover is from the parent of a QT person. I wasn’t sure what this introduction achieved, and it felt disingenuous to the purposes of the comic. Second, there was a slightly problematic focus on self-love. I don’t think it’s too much, but it did feel a little ableist to me as someone who struggles with dysphoria and depression. Finally, there was no overt affirmation of non-monogamous identities, but to the creator’s credit, there was no overt monogamous normativity either.

My favourite thing about this book, though, is that there are creative activity pages at the end! INCLUDING HOW TO MAKE A ZINE. I loved them, and I can’t wait to make a sproutsona with queer fam one day!

This title is available for pre-order now, and will release on April 23, 2019.

NOTE: This review will be online at the attached link on March 4th, 2019
I found this book trying to be everything and ending up all over the place. There was no glossary in the back which I found necessary as the book over explains some things and require background knowledge for others. The section on asexuality was confusing.

I did like that information about healthy relationships and communication were included and that the overall vibe of the book is everyone is different and love yourself.
I really liked this book.  It contains concise and respectfully presented information regarding a range of Queer and Trans identities.  I found the simple format user-friendly and appealing.  I love that there is a section included that discusses what a healthy relationship looks like, and that everything written in this book comes from a place of love and respect.  I hope this book ends up in every library.

I also think that a snail wearing a backwards cap is the coolest thing ever.

Thank you NetGalley and Oni Press for providing me with a copy of this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
A book that needs to read by everyone. This guide is not only useful for those who are trying to discover who they are but also for those who are trying to understand the new world we live in. The amazing and vibrant artwork really made the explanations stand out for the reader. I don't think it would have been as effective if it was in  black and white. It did not sugar coat the truth. It really disaplyed the raw emotions that are needed when talking about LGBTQ issues.
Highlights

the art

the diversness

Thoughts

I really enjoyed this! It was cute, funny, and very informative. The art was very nice and comedic in places. This under 100 pages graphic novel contains a lot of information and text, but it's divided into several chapters including what is queer, what is trans, what is asexuality, what is a healthy relationship, etc. It was a quick but informative read.

In the beginning, I didn't fully understand why they were snails, but later on, in the coming out chapter, it all made sense.

The synopsis says it's for anyone and everyone, and it truly is. I am asexual and I like gaining knowledge about other sexual orientations and other genders, and even for me the was new information in here. As an asexual, I am comfortable with the label, but I've never researched it just in case I don't fit into its boxed walls. I didn't know this book would contain a whole chapter on asexuality, but I m quite relieved it did. Does small questions I had in the back of my head were answered and I'm oh so totally happy about it. Asexuality does not have boxed walls and it does not have gatekeepers. I could never be happier.

I highly enjoyed it and learned a lot about myself too 🥰

Strongly recommended to everyone
Short but informative guide specifically of queer and trans identities. The artwork is wonderful, and I loved the use of anthropomorphism. A lot is covered, but it's done so in a way that one unfamiliar with queer or trans identities can grasp the concepts without being completely overwhelmed, or it being too much like a textbook.
This book has some fantastic information for trans individuals, their loved ones, and people who want to be better allies. The slug parts were more informative than the parts with the forest beings and to be honest, I thought the forest beings were unnecessary. The book would have been better without them as a straightforward and informative non-fiction book. This is not to say that I'm not going to buy it for my library, because I certainly am.
This is wonderful, a friendly, cute and approachable guide to sexualities and gender. It's a calm and factual exploration of labels and why we need them with a trippy distinctive art style. Very very good.