A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Mar 2019

Honestly, I like to consider myself pretty knowledgable about the LGBTQ+ communities but this still taught me a lot. Nonbinary folks are definitely the area I knew the least about and now I feel like I know more. I also learned a lot about Asexuality! Highly recommend this if you're curious to know more about the queer community. I also think this should be in every library and classroom!
A book that library and schools must have. It's a very informative read about Queer and Trans Identities. Especially it accompanies by beautiful illustrations. Highly recommended if you are interested in this topic :)
Two stars for tone and quality of information given. However, contrary it seems to most reviewers, I actively disliked the style in which this comic presents said information.
This was fine. It was informative, enjoyable but wasn't the best thing I ever read. There was a lot of stuff that I already knew. but despite that, I can definitely see myself giving this book to someone who wants to understand more about queer and trans identities.
I'd love to properly review this but the file I got was completely out of order. It rendered it unreadable. The artwork, however, is really good and the pages I could piece together were good. My library is definitely going to buy this and I'll get to actually read it then.
This is the perfect book for any teen (or adult, for that matter) that needs a primer in understanding the diverse identities that fall under the Queer/Trans umbrella.  The information is handled in an easy-to-understand way and is engaging, quite the feat for non-fiction.  It doesn't come across as preachy as some books can.  Definitely a default buy for our library.
Very informative, and the art is gorgeous. A Quick & Easy Guide to They/Them Pronouns has been one of my store's best sellers, so I was looking forward to this book, and it did not disappoint. This book is guaranteed to be a hit at my stores.
This was a very educating read. I did not really enjoy the illustration (it just wasn't my thing) but I loved how informative the comic was and how easily accessible and understandable that information was.
This was very unique and insightful. It kept my attention and i appreciated the fact tgat there were still some things i didn't know and learned from this book. Plus the style of the book was a nice change of pace.
After a considerable amount of confusion, I realised that this book would not display on my phone, and eventually figured out how to see it in order, and it's just as amazing as I'd hoped.
I have four nieces, and I think this book would be an amazing way to introduce them to ideas like minority sexualities and gender identity, without having to worry if I'm explaining things wrong, or unclearly. The colours and pictures are engaging, the content is educational and respectful, and I really appreciated the number of identities the book covered. The way the guide focussed on self-love and acceptance, and even included tips to ensuring healthy relationships was a lovely addition to a book already filled with clear, accessible definitions of identities that aren't widely understood.
I'll be posting a review closer to the release date, because I want as many people and school libraries to buy this book as possible.
Read this on a Tuesday morning at seemingly the perfect time. I had watched a youtube video by Mr Atheist 'Why Do I Use Gender Inclusive Language' that touched on gender non-conforming subjects and remembered that I received an early ARC of 'A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities' thanks to the publisher and NetGalley.

I like to believe that I am fairly touched on when it comes to the discussions in the LGBT+ community, and yet I still found this book extremely helpful, fun and a delight to read. Surprisingly I have not done much research on asexuality in the past and these short comics told in the form of fun animals going to parties, curious small snails and people in the community really helped me understand that maybe I align with a few things.

I am very much looking forward to the release date of this book and will pre-order it when I can, as the ARC's copy had the chapters out of order. I recommend it to anyone else who either has friends in the community, is interested in advice for healthy relationships or is still finding themselves out. As an aspiring artist the colour palette and fun energetic drawings also really spoke to me, props to the authors!
As it says on the tin this is a quick and easy guide. It's bright and colourful and give lots of advise and explanations in a clear concise way,some helpful sections on recognising toxic relationships , giving yourself time to learn, time to enjoy your own company and self. It was really practical and supportive.  It would be Good if this book was free for everyone in schools, libraries even to help people understand and also ask questions , a great start to helping people learn empathy and practice some humanity. I am really happy this book and others like it as being released would have loved them around when I was younger
These kinds of books are great tools in helping people think through things that they might not otherwise think about. This short book is written in a clear (almost simplistic) way to get across these kinds of ideas. If you’re trying to understand other people, or even yourself, and gender identity, take a look at this.

When you’re the default, you already have an identity. You don’t need one. But what happens when you don’t identify with the default? This is why people need identities.

This is why LGBTQ people need their identities. This is why minority groups have their own names and their own groups. And sometimes their own holidays.

This is why “we can’t just all be ‘American’”. YOU are the default. YOU are American. But when someone can’t identify with “American” the same way you do, they need a different identity. You are privileged to be the default. So, you have an identity. Why do you want to keep other people from having one? And why do you think you need to force someone else to have your identity?

There’s interesting stuff in here about sex vs gender. I was wondering about this recently. “Assigned sex” is the term for what someone is assigned at birth - is this useful for medical issues?

I like my gender presentation (expression) to be masculine. I think? Is this just about the way I dress? It’s probably because my dad was homophobic. I probably think it’s the “right” way. But it’s what I like. It’s what feels comfortable to me.

So maybe, my gender expression is masculine.

Even though there are major parts of me that don’t feel so masculine…especially in The South™ where I can’t really carry on a conversation about football, guns, or hunting.

This is interesting and helpful…“Gender expression doesn’t always align with a person’s gender identity…”

Useful book!

Thanks to NetGalley and Oni Press for a copy in return for an honest review.
Thank you NetGalley for the e-book!

This is an incredible way to get introduced to some concepts of the queer and trans community if you feel you are not quite well-informed. In this brief comic you get to understand concepts as basic as gender and sex to more complicated stuff such as gender dysphoria or the asexual spectrum.

It's also great for kids as it is explained in a very simple and engaging way with funny drawings. You should definitely read it if you are not so sure about some LGBTQ+ terms, if a close friend or relative recently came out and you want to understand them better or just to be a nice pal or gal and respect people because we are all equally valuable and nobody deserves any type of bigoted hatred.
*I received this book as an eARC from Oni Press & Limerence Press via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

This is a fun, informative graphic novel about queer and trans identities. The information is distributed through a snail teaching other snails about humans. Topics cover sexuality, gender identity, gender expression, relationship basics, dysphoria, asexuality, and more. There are personal examples from a friend's life. Interspersed is an adorable story about Sproutling, a group of creatures that come in all different identities. There's also a fun activity section at the end of the graphic novel.

This is a fun, educational book. I learned a lot. The information is expansive, respectful, & inclusive. I give this graphic novel a 5/5.
Isn’t that cover amazing and beautiful? Yes, it is!

This graphic novel, as the title says, is all about explaining queer identity. It sort of focuses on transgender and nonbinary people, but it has more general sections on gender identity vs romantic/sexual orientation, a section on coming out, discussions of self-love, and even a section on red flags in relationships.

I didn’t expect to learn anything new from this booklet, and yet it made me realise that social dysphoria exists (up until now, I only knew about physical dysphoria) and that I definitely have been experiencing it.

You see so much gatekeeping nowadays that I am wary about most guides like this, but I found this one refreshingly inclusive, with recognising that not every trans person experiences dysphoria, talking about how nonbinary people might experience transness differently from binary trans people, and an entire section on asexuality. Also, both the intro and the outtro talk about the importance of inclusivity, and “making our quilt bigger” if someone doesn’t fit under it.

Other perks of this book include accessible language, fun illustrations with snails, a section at the end where you can write a letter to your past or future self, and more.

That being said, I do have two concerns.

1) The definition of bisexuality used here is “attraction to the same gender and other genders”. This is definitely better than insisting bi people can only be attracted to binary genders or only two genders, but not every bisexual person is attracted to the same gender (e.g. a woman only being attracted to women and nonbinary people can be bi), and the concept of “same gender” might not mean much to a lot of nonbinary people anyway.

2) While there is an entire section asexuality, aromanticism is only mentioned in one sentence in the asexual section, and it’s even phrased in a way that implies that only asexual people can be aromantic. This is not true, and there is a bad tendency of only mentioning aromanticism as a “subset” of asexuality when they are different things and not necessarily go together. Since my copy was an ARC, I do hope that the publisher will consider and maybe change this.

Other than those two things, I was pleasantly surprised and content with this guide.
This is a super cute and easily understandable book. I loved it! The only thing is that it was black and white on my Kindle (obviously), and a bit hard to read on my phone. I think getting a printed copy of it would make it much easier to read and I will certainly try to get it eventually.
I would like to thank the publishers Oni Press, Limerence Press, and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC for this book.
"There's no right or wrong way to be gay, straight, male, female, or whatever you are. Don't put yourself in another box, you just came out of one!"
How ironic that I've learned so much from one of my greatest phobia--snails. Bubblegum hues and bubblegum smiles, this graphic novel really is a quick and easy guide to understanding the LGBTQ spectrum. It easily breaks down every crucial misconception we have of them.

1. What is Queer?
2. What is Gender Identity?
3. What's Gender Expression?
4. What does Dysphoria mean?
5. So, what is Asexuality?
6. Relationship Basics
7. What does it mean to 'come out'?

This is a relevant book and I think everyone needs to read what it has to say. Its light candy aesthetics will surely appeal to every reader out there and it makes it a more enjoyable read!
Being apart of the trans* community, I thought this book did an excellent job at how accessible the information was. It was a quick and easy way to view information about the queer community. The book is a great reasource for those who don’t understand or don’t know much about being transgender. This is a great start for those who are questioning or are just starting their transition.

I got this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This book is a great introduction to queer and trans identities. It does not shy away from difficult and detailed terminology and ideas, but it breaks things down in a way that makes the subject approachable for young readers. Added bonus- it's narrated by adorable little snails.