Cover Image: A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities

A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities

After a considerable amount of confusion, I realised that this book would not display on my phone, and eventually figured out how to see it in order, and it's just as amazing as I'd hoped.
I have four nieces, and I think this book would be an amazing way to introduce them to ideas like minority sexualities and gender identity, without having to worry if I'm explaining things wrong, or unclearly. The colours and pictures are engaging, the content is educational and respectful, and I really appreciated the number of identities the book covered. The way the guide focussed on self-love and acceptance, and even included tips to ensuring healthy relationships was a lovely addition to a book already filled with clear, accessible definitions of identities that aren't widely understood.
I'll be posting a review closer to the release date, because I want as many people and school libraries to buy this book as possible.
Read this on a Tuesday morning at seemingly the perfect time. I had watched a youtube video by Mr Atheist 'Why Do I Use Gender Inclusive Language' that touched on gender non-conforming subjects and remembered that I received an early ARC of 'A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities' thanks to the publisher and NetGalley.

I like to believe that I am fairly touched on when it comes to the discussions in the LGBT+ community, and yet I still found this book extremely helpful, fun and a delight to read. Surprisingly I have not done much research on asexuality in the past and these short comics told in the form of fun animals going to parties, curious small snails and people in the community really helped me understand that maybe I align with a few things.

I am very much looking forward to the release date of this book and will pre-order it when I can, as the ARC's copy had the chapters out of order. I recommend it to anyone else who either has friends in the community, is interested in advice for healthy relationships or is still finding themselves out. As an aspiring artist the colour palette and fun energetic drawings also really spoke to me, props to the authors!
As it says on the tin this is a quick and easy guide. It's bright and colourful and give lots of advise and explanations in a clear concise way,some helpful sections on recognising toxic relationships , giving yourself time to learn, time to enjoy your own company and self. It was really practical and supportive.  It would be Good if this book was free for everyone in schools, libraries even to help people understand and also ask questions , a great start to helping people learn empathy and practice some humanity. I am really happy this book and others like it as being released would have loved them around when I was younger
These kinds of books are great tools in helping people think through things that they might not otherwise think about. This short book is written in a clear (almost simplistic) way to get across these kinds of ideas. If you’re trying to understand other people, or even yourself, and gender identity, take a look at this.

When you’re the default, you already have an identity. You don’t need one. But what happens when you don’t identify with the default? This is why people need identities.

This is why LGBTQ people need their identities. This is why minority groups have their own names and their own groups. And sometimes their own holidays.

This is why “we can’t just all be ‘American’”. YOU are the default. YOU are American. But when someone can’t identify with “American” the same way you do, they need a different identity. You are privileged to be the default. So, you have an identity. Why do you want to keep other people from having one? And why do you think you need to force someone else to have your identity?

There’s interesting stuff in here about sex vs gender. I was wondering about this recently. “Assigned sex” is the term for what someone is assigned at birth - is this useful for medical issues?

I like my gender presentation (expression) to be masculine. I think? Is this just about the way I dress? It’s probably because my dad was homophobic. I probably think it’s the “right” way. But it’s what I like. It’s what feels comfortable to me.

So maybe, my gender expression is masculine.

Even though there are major parts of me that don’t feel so masculine…especially in The South™ where I can’t really carry on a conversation about football, guns, or hunting.

This is interesting and helpful…“Gender expression doesn’t always align with a person’s gender identity…”

Useful book!

Thanks to NetGalley and Oni Press for a copy in return for an honest review.
Thank you NetGalley for the e-book!

This is an incredible way to get introduced to some concepts of the queer and trans community if you feel you are not quite well-informed. In this brief comic you get to understand concepts as basic as gender and sex to more complicated stuff such as gender dysphoria or the asexual spectrum.

It's also great for kids as it is explained in a very simple and engaging way with funny drawings. You should definitely read it if you are not so sure about some LGBTQ+ terms, if a close friend or relative recently came out and you want to understand them better or just to be a nice pal or gal and respect people because we are all equally valuable and nobody deserves any type of bigoted hatred.
*I received this book as an eARC from Oni Press & Limerence Press via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

This is a fun, informative graphic novel about queer and trans identities. The information is distributed through a snail teaching other snails about humans. Topics cover sexuality, gender identity, gender expression, relationship basics, dysphoria, asexuality, and more. There are personal examples from a friend's life. Interspersed is an adorable story about Sproutling, a group of creatures that come in all different identities. There's also a fun activity section at the end of the graphic novel.

This is a fun, educational book. I learned a lot. The information is expansive, respectful, & inclusive. I give this graphic novel a 5/5.
Isn’t that cover amazing and beautiful? Yes, it is!

This graphic novel, as the title says, is all about explaining queer identity. It sort of focuses on transgender and nonbinary people, but it has more general sections on gender identity vs romantic/sexual orientation, a section on coming out, discussions of self-love, and even a section on red flags in relationships.

I didn’t expect to learn anything new from this booklet, and yet it made me realise that social dysphoria exists (up until now, I only knew about physical dysphoria) and that I definitely have been experiencing it.

You see so much gatekeeping nowadays that I am wary about most guides like this, but I found this one refreshingly inclusive, with recognising that not every trans person experiences dysphoria, talking about how nonbinary people might experience transness differently from binary trans people, and an entire section on asexuality. Also, both the intro and the outtro talk about the importance of inclusivity, and “making our quilt bigger” if someone doesn’t fit under it.

Other perks of this book include accessible language, fun illustrations with snails, a section at the end where you can write a letter to your past or future self, and more.

That being said, I do have two concerns.

1) The definition of bisexuality used here is “attraction to the same gender and other genders”. This is definitely better than insisting bi people can only be attracted to binary genders or only two genders, but not every bisexual person is attracted to the same gender (e.g. a woman only being attracted to women and nonbinary people can be bi), and the concept of “same gender” might not mean much to a lot of nonbinary people anyway.

2) While there is an entire section asexuality, aromanticism is only mentioned in one sentence in the asexual section, and it’s even phrased in a way that implies that only asexual people can be aromantic. This is not true, and there is a bad tendency of only mentioning aromanticism as a “subset” of asexuality when they are different things and not necessarily go together. Since my copy was an ARC, I do hope that the publisher will consider and maybe change this.

Other than those two things, I was pleasantly surprised and content with this guide.
This is a super cute and easily understandable book. I loved it! The only thing is that it was black and white on my Kindle (obviously), and a bit hard to read on my phone. I think getting a printed copy of it would make it much easier to read and I will certainly try to get it eventually.
I would like to thank the publishers Oni Press, Limerence Press, and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC for this book.
"There's no right or wrong way to be gay, straight, male, female, or whatever you are. Don't put yourself in another box, you just came out of one!"
How ironic that I've learned so much from one of my greatest phobia--snails. Bubblegum hues and bubblegum smiles, this graphic novel really is a quick and easy guide to understanding the LGBTQ spectrum. It easily breaks down every crucial misconception we have of them.

1. What is Queer?
2. What is Gender Identity?
3. What's Gender Expression?
4. What does Dysphoria mean?
5. So, what is Asexuality?
6. Relationship Basics
7. What does it mean to 'come out'?

This is a relevant book and I think everyone needs to read what it has to say. Its light candy aesthetics will surely appeal to every reader out there and it makes it a more enjoyable read!
Being apart of the trans* community, I thought this book did an excellent job at how accessible the information was. It was a quick and easy way to view information about the queer community. The book is a great reasource for those who don’t understand or don’t know much about being transgender. This is a great start for those who are questioning or are just starting their transition.

I got this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This book is a great introduction to queer and trans identities. It does not shy away from difficult and detailed terminology and ideas, but it breaks things down in a way that makes the subject approachable for young readers. Added bonus- it's narrated by adorable little snails.
I thought this book was fabulous. It's incredibly accessible, with illustrations and wording that help the reader to understand what different words to do with gender mean. There are various explanations, and several panels, either in a small comic style or a more biographical/anecdotal approach from the authors or other real people about different genders and sexualities. I had trouble reading it on my Kindle as the pages seemed messed up, but apart from that it was a clean, easy read. From what I could see of the drawings they were cute and easily readable.  It's something I'll definitely look at getting for my library.
The title is pretty reflective of the content - this book is a quick and easy guide to queer & trans identities. If the authors wanted a little more accuracy, they could have added the following subtitle: "as told by psychedelic cartoon snails and sproutlings".
This is a great introduction for those questioning their gender and/or sexual identity and for cisgender people who are looking to learn more. I like the affirmations and advice given throughout the book. The Sproutlings and the world of the Sproutlings did not add anything to the book and seemed childish for a teen book. The Sproutling content could have been exchanged for more information or real-life examples. Not a perfect book but a good start in a format that is more accessible for people who don't want to read long texts.
We live in an incredibly diverse world, one that should be celebrated. That said, to celebrate it we must first understand the people in it. The LGBTQ+ community are, in my experience, wonderful people but often people don't know or understand much past the L (Lesbian) and G (Gay) parts of the spectrum. That's where this graphic novel comes in.

When searching through Netgalley, I came across this graphic novel and was curious as to how educational it would be. It covers such a wide spectrum to help people understand the way that people identify. Importantly, this also covers the difference between sexuality and gender - something many get confused.

I'll admit, when I was younger I didn't know much about Transgender people and the variations of gender before I was 18. It wasn't something that myself or anyone close to me had gone through. Of course, I understood about identifying as Gay, Lesbian or Bisexual but beyond that, I had a lot to learn.

This is a fantastic resource for anyone who wants to learn more about complicated topics without being bogged down in history and politics. While those things are incredibly important, they can seem very overwhelming. This is a good place to start and is easy to digest for a beginner.

I gave this a huge 5 stars. This is a really accessible graphic novel that could educate a lot of people. The fact that this is a little different and has fantastic art style adds to the experience of reading. Being taught about gender and sexuality by snails? Why not. Honestly, why not? This would be a great gift for someone who wants to learn more but doesn't know where to start.

Thank you to Netgalley, the author and publisher for the opportunity to read this in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Cute snails explain LGBT identities. A book that is born from the heart of a parent and it shows. it is a non-judgmental guide that could really help people who are going through this. I would recommend this friendly guide to schools, personal homes and libraries.
This book lives up to its name.  As a cis gendered, hetreosexual it is often difficult for me to understand what the LGBTQ community experiences, and this book does a great job of describing individual identity exploration but also acknowledges the challenges society and relationships present.  I am not sure what the best age is, but the non-human characters make it seem appealing to a very young audience which is a bonus.
Thank you Netgally for sending this Arc my way in an exchange for an honest review.
The title summarised the book so well. A quick and easy guide! Brilliantly illustrated and the writing was just spot on. For people of all ages, but mostly younger  kids that find a little confusing or hard talking about gender.
Would definitely recommend the book to everybody.
*Thank you to NetGalley, Limerence Press, Mary G., and J.R. Zuckerberg for this eARC. My review is solely my own.*

Thank you for putting forth the tale of the Sproutlings in such a vibrant, easy-to-read manner for all ages, though mostly directed at youth, to help understand and grasp the concepts of being queer and transgender in our world. And what being a part of the LGBTQA+ community is all about.

As someone from the community itself; born female but being Genderfluid, and Demi/Pansexual, it wasn’t always easy for me to accept many pieces of myself until I was in my 30s. What did it mean if I didn’t feel female all the time? How are bisexuality and pansexuality different? Why can’t people just be accepting? It took a lot of hard work, and I love that this tale of the Sproutlings, encompasses understanding, compassion, acceptance and inclusivity. The most important being self-acceptance and self-love.

I truly recommend this book to ALL people who are struggling with their own identities, if they have children exploring their identities, or anyone who just wants a basic understanding of what it all means. This is the book for you.

This little graphic novel is what the title says it is: 'A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities'. It's a short, but very informative read and will probably appeal to readers of all ages. It's very easy to follow and the information is not too overwhelming.

We live in a fast-changing world and sometimes it's hard to keep up with things, especially the variety of queer and gender identities that are out there, but these identities are important, especially to those identify themselves by them. As Many G writes in the intro, 'These labels are not for outsiders, they are for the humans themselves to describe their own lives and experiences and to connect with others who share similar experiences.'

The guide is narrated by a snail, with little vignettes in between the main sections featuring diverse creatures called Sproutlings. For such a short book, it covers a considerable amount of topics. It could be a good conversation starter in any amount of situations.

I'd recommend this book for anyone who is exploring who they are or for some who are curious about the various identities that are out there. It's due to be released in April 2019 and if you're curious enough, pick it up. You won't be disappointed.