Bruce Moffett Cooks

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Mar 2019

Bruce Moffett Cooks by Bruce Moffett is a free NetGalley ebook that I read into early February.

With very little preamble (outside of a small bio), Moffett goes straight into recipes for pantry items, appetizers, soups, salads, veg, fish, meat, game, pasta, pizza, bread, and desserts with a style informed by his restaurants’ recipes, his grandmother, classic training and spending time in the American South (though his own recipes don’t necessarily announce that; there's subtle reference to ramp onions, chowchow, and big worldly view of food with dishes from China, Korea, and Italy, and some off-beat, loosely assembled salads). Some inside stories are scattered throughout of his experiences and others' (usually members of his staff and/or purveyors) experiences with him. My favorite recipes include new South collards, tilefish schnitzel with poached egg and shaved fennel, chicken cacciatore, seafood cannelloni with lobster sauce, and biscuit breakfast pizza.
Thank netgally, the author for an Advanced Copy of this book. I really enjoyed this book. It's well worth reading
Elegant and Classic this is a must-have for those that like to cook. Classic Recipes, fresh Ingredients, Everything made from scratch, and beautifully photographed. This is one of those cookbooks that you hate to see come to an end because the beauty of the recipes leave you wanting more! Easy Five, Elegant Stars! Beautifully done cookbook! Let's Eat!!
From the publisher, as I do not regurgitate the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it!

A native New Englander, chef Bruce Moffett fell in love with the South. Founding chef of three Charlotte restaurants—Barrington’s, Good Food on Montford, and Stagioni—Moffett is known for creating dishes inspired by both New England and southern culinary traditions. With the simple, compelling aim of making people happy through his cooking, the chef builds immense flavours in every morsel he prepares and serves—and in this lavishly illustrated cookbook, he shows you how to do the same.

From small plates of Pickled Butternut Squash Ribbons to Creamy Spring Onion Soup, the meal you make will start out beautifully. Recipes provide step-by-step directions for cooking entire composed dinners, from Pecan-Crusted Lamb with Chipotle BBQ Sauce and Sweet Potatoes to Swordfish with Summer Succotash. Among the book’s 120 recipes are irresistible soups, salads, pizza, pasta, vegetable dishes, loaves of bread, and desserts. When he arrived in Charlotte almost twenty years ago, Moffett became one of the first chefs there to establish creative, long-term relationships with local farms and purveyors. In his book, written with Keia Mastrianni, he shines a spotlight on the North Carolina producers who provide many of the beautiful ingredients featured daily in his restaurants.

I, for one, am sick of "fusion cooking" - Chinindian, Koranese, Hawaiiean are a few to mention that assaulted my tastebuds on my last trip to Asia.  Bruce Moffett makes food that make sense, though, as proven by my last trip to one of his restaurants - totally worth the wait!!!  The book explains how he "works his fusion" and the recipes are simple enough for even the most basic of cooks to make: I especially loved the pickling section as that is a new skill set I have recently been working on mastering.
The fusion is not too far out there: these are foods that marry New England and the South on an edible and yummy level: it's a perfect book for anyone looking for both the perfect Lob'sta-Roll with a side of fried pickle and pimento cheese on the side.  Yummy. I am decidedly buying a copy of it for my personal library as well.
Bruce Moffet a born& bred New Englander fell in love with the South opening restaurants in Charlottesville.This is a wonderful cookbook full of delicious recipes Bruce Moffetts spirit joy of food .A cookbook I will be dipping into again& again.#netgalley #BruceMoffettCooks #u.of North Carolina.Press.