The Japanese Larder

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Dec 2018

Over the years we have become very versed in Asian cooking  with the easy availability  of ingredients, many cookbooks, and restaurants throughout  our world. That is, all but Japanese cooking, it is true that there are some restaurants opened in recent years but the ingredients are a bit of a mystery to most of us.

This book remedies that, it gives a very full explanation of ingredients and uses in recipes, with that comes glorious photographs  of the food, presented as only the Japanese can, like a piece of art.

Having said that, this is not a Japanese cookbook but more a familiarisation and explanation of the ingredients and  uses in Japanese cooking. It does include some recipes, maybe more familiar to the English taste but adapted with the use of Japanese ingredients.
An extremely interesting book, very informative well presented with a touch of encouragement  and confidence to try using some of the ingredients in everyday home cooking.
I really enjoyed this book. I love t learn about Japanese cuisine. What is special about this book is that it goes into what the ingredients are and why they are used.  In other books, they just mention these foreign spices, sauces, fruits, and vegetables like Westerners would understand. Luiz Hara helps you understand these products and you start to conceptualize why they are used and what the dishes may actually taste like.
I loved teh photos of teh dishes as well as the ones that chronicle the shops and supplies.
I would recommend Japanese Larder to anyone interested in learning about Japanese cooking.
This book was received as an ARC from Quarto Publishing Group - Jacqui Small in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

I was immediately drawn into this book by the artistic talent of the cover. I was always intrigued by Japanese Cooking not just for the looks but for the taste. I always feel better/energized after you eat Japanese cooking. A lot of the recipes were very easy to follow followed by beautiful pictures of each completed dish. Anyone that makes any of these recipes will feel like the next Morimoto. I especially loved the Buta No Kakuni and the Miso Brown Butter Linguini and I can't wait to make them and wow my guests. This might even be a potential candidate for our cooking demo program at our library.

This will definitely have a home in our Non-Fiction cookbook section at our library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.
Japan is the #1 destination on my bucket list. The culture, the spirituality, the food... The list goes on. In Japanese Larder, I loved the combination of pictures and descriptions. Instead of just stating what ingredients you need, it tells you what they are, what they are used for, how to use them, and even where they are from. The pictures are beautiful and I can't wait to try them all!
I was sent a copy of this book via NetGalley and Quarto Publishing and decided to give an honest review.
I wished for a copy of this book and was lucky  to receive a copy.
I love Japanese Food and as for cooking it, and obtaining the proper ingredients always was a real adventure to search out the authentic version. Now days their are many Asian supermarkets within reach, so the adventure to obtain the authentic ingredients are so easy to obtain. That said cooking Japanese food and having a wonderful recipe book to refer to is even much better. The beautiful illustrations and very helpful and in depth informative descriptions of the ingredients that are used is extensive.  There are so many lovely and delicious looking recipes that I know will be well received at the dinner table by my family. I highly recommend this book
Very sad that review copies are not enabled for Kindle. PLEASE consider making all review copies available for the device that most people now read on. Might consider buying a paper copy of the book because the subject matter is of much interest to me, but I won't be able to write an advance review.
The book is very pretty. I wish it would send to kindle but I suppose I should have looked closer. I love Japanese food and this book makes the fofoofofood not seem so scary to make
A gorgeous cookbook that is full of great information & interesting recipes. Hara's theme is understanding Japanese ingredients and using them in a wider variety of recipes, both Japanese & Western. Therefore his chapters are organized by type of ingredient rather than by course.

Each chapter opens with a section on these ingredients, how they are made, flavored, and used. The recipes follow, each with the dish pictured.

While some of the recipes are quite complex, many use off-the-shelf ingredients, making them easily accessible to home cooks.

Although Hara is UK-based he has done a good job of making a cookbook easy to use by cooks in the UK and North America.
Interesting, but a little too professional for somebody like me, still the photo were worthy all the book as far as you ask me.

Interessante, ma veramente un po' troppo professionale per chi come me non é in grado di cucinare giapponese comunque, a prescindere da quello che contiene la mia dispensa. Detto questo comunque, anche solo le foto valevano tutto il libro.

THANKS NETGALLEY FOR THE PREVIEW!
My thanks to NetGalley and Quarto Publishing Group for providing a digital copy of The Japanese Larder by Luiz Hara. What a visually stunning book. The photographs that accompany the recipes included in the book almost compel you to head straight to your local Japanese or Asian grocery store to stock up on ingredients so you can begin experimenting in your kitchen.
	The recipes are straight forward, with ingredients listed to the side of the instructions, so you can check them out at a glance. That way, you can know with just a quick glance if there are things you need to pick up before embarking on a new recipe or if you have everything you want. Plus, if you like to cook in the “on the board” style, you can assemble the ingredients in the proper amounts with ease before you begin looking at instructions and planning your time in the kitchen.
	While most of the recipes are Japanese in nature, there is information also in how to incorporate some of the traditional Japanese ingredients in your regular recipes. For example, the book begins with information of what the author considers key seasonings, including explanations of what they are and what they add to recipes.
	The table of contents may not be as beneficial to the cook as the index since it does not delineate chapters by type of food, such as main dish, side dish, etc. The index does have the recipes listed both by title of the dish and group into like-items such as a heading of chicken, followed by specific chicken recipes. It would have been helpful to have these broad classifications in bold so they were easier to spot at a glance, but this is a minor issue.
	The recipes offer a wide range of food types, all of them presented in a way that encourages the cook to give them a try. With the introductory explanations of seasonings, etc. the cook can feel more confident in how they want to approach each specific recipe and what they expect for the final result.
	Grocery shopping might also be made easier if a copy of this could be taken to the local oriental market. Until the cook is more familiar with brands, specific ingredients, etc., there is too much information here to try and remember it all during initial shopping trips. For this reason, a digital form of the book might be beneficial, although you wouldn’t want to lose the benefit of seeing the gorgeous illustrations included in a full-page print version.
	For the cook who wants to expand their knowledge of Japanese cooking, or simply begin to incorporate some Japanese seasonings in their own recipes, this book offers a good place to start.
I can't wait to try the recipes in this book! I love the way that it's set up and I love the pictures that accompany the recipes!
I honestly can't remember the last time I came across such a complete guide to Japanese cookery.  Every dish has an accompanying picture which is beautifully shot.  Not only are the much needed seasonings for the dishes listed, they come with brief a overview, which make for a rather informative and interesting read.  The recipes are step by step, but detailed so there's far less chance of making a mistake.

Can't say enough  nice things about this book.  Highly recommended.
This is a very handy book for anyone interested in Japanese cooking! Each chapter focuses on a type of food - seasonings, dried/fermented foods, rice/noodles/tofu, fruits/vegetables, etc. The photos that accompany the recipes are beautifully shot. Recipe ingredients are listed by weight and volume in most cases - a nice inclusion for better accuracy. While many of the recipes aren't ones I particularly will be trying since I don't consume animal products, I still found quite a number of recipes I will be trying out and hopefully adding to my favorites. Aside from the recipes, this book would make a perfect reference for cooks looking to branch out and use ingredients they may be less familiar with.

Thank you to Quarto Publishing Group - Jacqui Small and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this informative book in exchange for my honest review.
This book Japanese Larder is nothing like an usual cook book about Japan. It gives you great insights about how to include usual japanese cooking elements into our occidental cooking.
Loved this gorgeous cookbook. A wonderful guide to Japanese cooking teaches us what we need in our pantries what spices rice etc.The recipes are easy to follow the pictures are beautiful mouth watering .This is perfect for anyone interested in Japanese cooking and would make a lovely gift.
#netgalley #JapeneseLarder#Quartopublishers,
I really love this! I am passionate about bringing Japanese cuisine and culture into my household and I feel like the recipes of Hara's make this feat possible.
Great collection of recipes, ingredient info and 'how to make' guides! I love most Japanese flavours, and look forward to making udon and tofu from scratch. Note - the ingredients involve a lot of traditionally Japanese ingredients, but there surely are some new touches added to those traditional ingredients.
The Japanese Larder by Luiz Hara is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early November.

In case you didn’t know, a larder is a pantry where you keep your non/semi-perishable food at room temperature (i.e. rice, noodles, tea, fruit & non-leafy veg, dried food, sauces, seasoning, and drinks), not where you put your lard, your butter, or your oils (unless, you know, that’s your thing). The candid, busy, urban photos plus a pic of nearly every completed dish is altogether extremely attractive. And, each time I recognized something from my own larder/cabinet, I was overjoyed and peppered with new possibilities for it, particularly that I can reuse konbu and bonito flakes a second time for another batch of dashi and that I can make Japanese-style pan de queijo with glutenized rice flour. My favorite recipes include oyakodon, roast soy and butter chicken, onigirazu rice sandwiches (pictured on the front cover, pork & Stilton burgers, seafood and chorizo ramen, and panettone bread & butter pudding.
From the publisher, as I do not regurgitate the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it!

A follow-up to Luiz’s first book, Nikkei Cuisine, Japanese Larder is a stunning cookery book that demystifies the best Japanese ingredients and cooking by introducing the home cook to a number of key Japanese ingredients and techniques that are easy to acquire and will transform their everyday cooking.

Most of us have heard of ingredients such as miso, mirin, tofu and matcha, but how many of us feel confident using these ingredients in our everyday cooking, or beyond the one or two recipes for which we may have bought such ingredients in the first place?  In this beautifully illustrated cookbook, Luiz Hara introduces you to a host of delicious and versatile Japanese ingredients which are easy to get hold of in most parts of the world and can be used to create the most mouth-watering and interesting dishes. Categorized by the main ingredient, grab that packet of miso paste from your fridge, buy some ponzu or yuzu from your local grocery store or the ethnic section of your local supermarket, and discover a new world of taste and flavour thanks to Luiz’s delicious recipes.

I dove head first into this book last night and make the maple-spy cured salmon on asparagus for dinner last night.  AMAZEBALLS.  Japanese food is my favourite eat-out cuisine and now I have the confidence to make more of them at home as I usually stuck to miso soup as my wheelhouse recipe.
These are not recipes to only be made with expensive ingredients (there is plenty of chicken and ... potatoes??  In Japan???)  and they are yummy looking.
A perfect gift for the cook in your life or for your own bookshelf as the book is nearly flawless in its presentation and photography.
🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟
🥡🥢🥣🍵
An absolutely amazing book on Japanese Cooking.  So much information on the ingredients and the recipes are so easy to read.  The pictures are so beautiful I would like to cook everything in this book.  Although I only got it today, I have looked at every page, unfortunately I can’t cook anything yet as I am on holidays.  My friends were so impressed with the book and the recipes that I have already ordered a copy for them.  I can’t wait till my Japanese daughter in law comes over so I can impress her with a dish from this book.

Thanks to Netgalley and Quarto Publishing Group - Jacqui Small fit the opportunity to read and review.