Crochet in a Day

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Apr 2019

Crochet in a Day by Salena Baca, Danyel Pink, and Emily Truman features 42 crochet projects.  The projects are divided into themes.  While there are many great projects, my favorite is the puffy dishcloth.  All of the sections have several projects that would be great to make for yourself or gifts. The patterns have clear instructions and prominently displayed yarn weight.  I prefer crochet books that give a yarn weight along with a suggested brand.  It makes it easy for me to substitute with what I have on hand or can easily purchase. Another bonus for me is the visual index at the end of the book.  I can see myself turning to this book over and over when I need a quick project!
A simple book filled with quick easy designs. As a crocheter, I love one day projects. Sometimes I don’t have patience for longer one. All of these projects are simple and straightforward, perfect for beginners or more advanced just looking for something quick. Not to mention, there is a wide variety of project beyond just the typical hats.
Crochet in a day is a collection of various patterns. Most appear to be intermediate patterns. Some of them are really cute and I will give them a try. There is a very nice balance of photos and instructions which is very important when giving a crochet pattern.
A lovely book full of easy crochet patterns that are fast to make. Very well written instructions and photographs. I've already made the Feng Shui Wrap!!
This was a very nice book. I thought the information presented was well laid out and flowed well. I really enjoyed reading it and want to try and start trying out some of the patterns.
The directions in this book are clear, the projects using largely standard yarns. Nothing too fussy or hard to find. The end products are perhaps a bit boxy, but that's typical of quick projects.
This is a nice crochet book! The photography is very nice, with big, clear photos that show the designs well. The instructions are easy enough to understand, which is always a plus.

I particularly like the selection of items to make, especially the bags. I'm a sucker for a crocheted bag! There is a nice variety here, easily suited for beginner-level crochet enthusiasts.

This book has great gift suggestions, and I plan to make several for my circle of friends. I particularly love the wine bottle tote as my friends love wine and drink it often. I will definitely be making that! There are also cute wraps, and there's a change purse I plan to make as well.

I'm giving this four stars because the directions are all written, and I really love lace charts. Some of the items could have done with charts.
This is a good gift book for the newer beginning crochet crafter.  It has 42 projects that are generally available.  The pictures are colorful and clear, the instructions are simple and well explained and the book is organized and easy to use.  The visual index at the end of the book is particularly useful. Many of the projects use 1 skein or less for the projects.  The patterns cover many areas from hats, scarves, place mats etc.  I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
With this book, you can crochet everything from a flower hat to a phone cover. Instructions for each project include difficulty ratings and suggested yarns. Directions seem easy to follow (I'm a knitter, not a crocheter, but reading patterns is similar, and these seem fairly straightforward).
The book is really nice. 42 Patterns are quite a lot of projects to keep any crocheter entertained.

Some of them seem bigger than what you would expect from a "one-day" project, but I just see it as extras.

I haven't had the opportunity to make any of the projects, so I don't know if they're all correct, but they seem like they're fine. But until you work on a specific pattern, or unless you're a tech editor that can do all the math in your head to know if everything is correct, is not easy to know.

Photos are nice, but they could have included more detailed photos.

Overall, nice book, and many projects to add to your library of patterns.
This book is everything the name and cover imply: 42 fast and fun projects that can be crocheted in under a day.  For the majority of the patterns, even a slightly more advanced beginner would be able to complete them that quickly.  There is a variety of pattern types, from clothes to hats to household, etc.  A big thing to know in advance is that every pattern is written out but not charted out (I know some people can only read one or the other).
Thank you Netgalley, Salena Baca, Danyel Pink, Emily Truman and Stackpole Books for the ARC! This one was released yesterday!

I’ve been crocheting for 15+ years and have always preferred shorter projects. Anything that takes months or years to make, isn’t for me, which is one the reasons I chose this book.

If you’re a beginner crocheter, I must warn you… this is isn’t for those you just getting started. However, if you’re looking for new stitches, fast projects at an advanced level, this could be a great resource for you!
There are so many interesting and practical projects in Crochet In A Day although whether or not they are able to be completed in a day is debatable based on your experience. There are projects for your home and things to wear. How many times do you flip through a crafting book and only one or two of the projects interest you? It happens to me all the time, so frustrating! With this book, I was bookmarking left and right.

I am still so new to crochet having only made a few hats and headbands and this book is definitely not for my skill level. There is no glossary of terms or picture reminders about how stitches are to be made. If you’re a beginner this will be frustrating because she will need to have a secondary resource like Youtube or another crochet reference book to guide you along.

I did run into a problem with the Puffy Dishcloth. The instructions for the 3-treble cluster are simply not correct. The instructions for making a 3-tr cl are missing a step and because of this I wonder and worry about other projects in this book.

My takeaway of this book is that it is great for inspiration and project but be prepared to reference other material to get the project finished.
I have been crocheting and creating since about 2003 when I learned at a college resident hall event. Over the last few years I've gained a new mastery in reading patterns and am about to embark on designing my own patterns. I wanted to look at this book to see how crochet books compare to blog posts, Instagram, Ravelry patterns, and Facebook groups.

The patterns written in this book are high quality. They have been written with a high level of clarity, which is VERY important when providing ONLY written instructions. The photos provided where my biggest complaint in this book. They did not live up to the visual medium that is Instagram; if you are going to publish a book, gorgeous photos are a MUST! The thing I felt was missing the most with photos were pattern details, like showing a button hole, seam work, or tricky construction details. The photos provided across patterns were not consistent as some gave close up of stitch work and others were oddly cropped pictures of the item. Blocking was also needed in several of the designs to really make the quality of the product pop.

The patterns in this book are not all new. Many of them have been previously published in magazines or on Ravelry.

Overall this book would be an excellent for an intermediate crocheter who already loves the designs of any of these designers. I did enjoy that there was a Tunisian design included and would have loved to see at least one in each section next time. I did not see any "must have" patterns in this book. From this book I did gain three new designers to follow on Instagram and if they design something I must have I definitely won't miss out! The quality of the pattern writing all three designers have shown in this book will reduce any hesitation I have on buying one of their patterns.
This approachable crochet collection will give a crocheter who need some quick gift projects a lot of great ideas.  The projects are all photographed on or with real people, and are made out of colorful and easily sourced yarns.  The focus here is on making useful items quickly, so this is not the kind of aspirational, eye-candy book that flies off a display, but one which will serve a population of practical crafters well.  Recommended for larger library crochet sections.
I am always looking for projects to do in one day. Love the selections presented in this book. I will be doing a few of these soon.
So many cute and creative patterns! Enough variety for all skill levels with great explanations and photos.
Many years ago, my grandmother taught me to crochet. I don't get a chance to do it very often so when I do, I prefer to have short projects. The designs in this book are right up my alley! These projects should only take about a day, or perhaps a weekend if you're a bit slow (I get distracted easily). Really fun designs that give you a wonderful sense of accomplishment when you can complete them quickly. And if you're a beginner like me or just need a refresher course, it's a great idea to take a peek at some YouTube videos that show basic techniques.
This book contains 42 projects that the authors say can be done in a day, with most being able to be done in a few hours. As you might imagine, open lacework and big hooks help many of the projects meet this goal, but you might be surprised at some of the articles use dense crochet and even small hooks.

The book is divided into several sections including Hats and Headbands, Wraps and Other Wearables, Bags and Totes, Kitchen and Dining, and Living. In the Wraps section, you’ll find a shawl, cowls, a poncho, a wrap, mitts, and slippers; even boot cuffs are included. The Bags and Totes chapter even has a coin purse and a phone or tablet cozy. In the Kitchen and Dining section, there are a couple of dishcloths, a trivet, a potholder, and other items. The Living section is perhaps the most creative of all. Want to make a crocheted dreamcatcher or mimic old-school macrame? There are patterns for those as well as other interesting ideas. Some of the patterns are a surprise, like the hat that can convert into a cowl. The very simple Dreamy Poncho could be outstanding in the right yarn.

The book does an excellent job of photographing the items. Not only do we see the item from a variety of angles, but there's almost always a close-up on the stitches themselves. What a refreshing change from the many knitting and crochet books that seem to focus more on the model and the setting than on the item itself. The book also gives useful information about the yarns used, including fiber makeup, yarn size by number, and yardage, which would allow for easy substitutions. While this has nothing to do with the quality of the patterns or the book, I appreciated that the publisher used a middle-aged woman to model some of the wearables.

The only thing missing from the book was a section that gave the basics of crochet. I am accustomed to crochet books that have a section either before or after the patterns that show how to do simple stitches. The authors do suggest in the introduction that readers should view videos on a couple of different websites to see how stitches are done. As there are several patterns at a beginner level, it would be nice if the book had at least the rudiments of chaining and simple stitches so that a newer crocheter could simply refresh her memory by looking at drawings, rather than have to fire up a browser.

That said, this book is a fun and eclectic mix of projects that will inspire crocheters to break out their hooks and look in their stashes to give some a try.
Crochet in a Day
by Salena Baca; Danyel Pink and Emily Truman

This crochet book is written for a person who already knows the basics stitches. If help is needed for some of the stitches the reference they provided is a YouTube site that teaches you how to do more. The patterns in this book are for basic and intermediate skills. Each pattern has a photo and instructions to complete. In the back of the book is the abbreviation chart if you need a refresher on what that stitch is. I found several projects that I will be making. If your looking for a project that you can make in a short amount of time, this book is perfect.

#Netgalley