The New 500 Low-Carb Recipes

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Feb 2019

Thanks to Netgalley for my copy.

This book is full of information on products to eats and what to avoid on a low carb diet. Easy to follow recipes and instructions. As a visual cook though I would appreciate photos alongside the recipes
Fair Winds Press and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of The New 500 Low-Carb Recipes: 500 Updated Recipes for Doing Low-Carb Better and More Deliciously.  I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

This cookbook includes every type of recipe that readers will need to be successful in regards to low-carb eating.  The New 500 Low-Carb Recipes is divided into logical sections such as Hors D-oeuvres, Snacks, and Party Nibbles; Eggs and Dairy; Breads, Muffins, Cereals, and Other Grainy Things; Hot Vegetable Dishes; Side Dish Salads; Chicken and Turkey; Fish; Beef; Pork and Lamb; Main Dish Salads; Soups; Condiments, Seasonings, and Sauces; and Cookies, Cakes, and Other Sweets.

The author is very candid in the introduction, telling readers why the cookbook was conceived and the reasoning behind different recipes.  I like how honest Dana Carpender is, giving readers recipes with a wide range of carbohydrate counts because there are many reasons for people needing or wanting lower carbs.  The cookbook has variety, which is key for a successful lifestyle change such as low-carb eating.  Not making any claims as to anyone's success but her own, this approach is refreshing and often missing from diet based cookbooks.  The New 500 Low-Carb Recipes doubles as reference material, as the author goes through different types of ingredients, some of which may be unfamiliar to readers.

Many of the recipes are simple, with many varieties of similar dishes.  The biggest problem that I had with The New 500 Low-Carb Recipes was the lack of visual references to the finished dishes.  There were simply too many recipes and no photos to break up the monotony.  This is not a cookbook that I would use with any regularity because of this, so I would be hesitant to recommend it to other readers.
I’m always looking for good lower carb recipes to try, and this was The New 500 Low-Carb Recipes by Dana Carpender. I received a copy to review through NetGalley. There were tons of great options for recipes in this book. I made Lemon Pepper Chicken and Gravy. It got a rating of ‘very good’ from my husband, which is pretty rare, and it’s so easy that it will definitely be a recipe I make over and over again. I chose to serve it over rice, which isn’t very low carb, but it would also be delicious with cauliflower rice as suggested in the book.
I'm so looking forward to trying most of the recipes in The New 500 Low-Carb Recipes book. I recently decided to try to cut down on carbs and a lot of these recipes are going to be what gets me through. While this book does not have pictures, it is easy to navigate and has wonderful information. I suggest this to anyone looking to cut down on carbs.

Thanks to netgalley for this free book in exchange for these honest thoughts.
This book really has 500 recipes, not that I was counting. But it features a lot of staple simple recipes and I am really grateful for that. It also has a lot of theory on low-carb which is great for people interested in lowering their carb intake.

I did wish for pictures though, but that's just me and what I like in my cookbooks.
I was provided with a complimentary copy of this book so I could give an honest review.

Since I am hypoglycemic, I am always looking for new low-carb recipes. The New 500 Low-Carb Recipes: 500 Updated Recipes for Doing Low-Carb Better and More Deliciously by Dana Carpender was just the book I was looking for. There were several recipes that I wanted to try immediately.  Some of them include: Skillet Chicken Florentine, Lo-Carl Clam Chowder, Polynesian Pork, Country Sausage Skillet Supper, Teriyaki Steak, Green Bean Spaghetti, Skillet Stroganoff, Ellen's Noodleless Lasagne, Parmesan Shrimp, Cheese Grits, and Shrimp Alfredo. I tried to narrow it down to my favorite 5 recipes but I struggled narrowing down to just 10.

My favorite is "Joe". It is a one-dish skillet supper with ground chuck, frozen spinach, onions, garlic, and eggs.

I do not enjoy cooking but I do it. I prefer someone else to cook for me or to go out to eat. However, these recipes were easy enough for me to make and do not use a lot of ingredients.  They also often use normal, every-day ingredients you would have in your house. I found that to be extremely helpful because I really do not like when I have to buy an ingredient that I would probably not use again.

Review published on Philomathinphila.com, Smashbomb, Goodreads, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble on 2/23/19.
Dana Carpender’s newly revised cookbook, The New 500 Low-Carb Recipes, is an excellent book for anyone who is concerned about the amount of carbs in their diet.  The layout of the book is logical and well-conceived, the recipes are appealing and there is a wide variety.  Furthermore, the recipes are well-written and easy to follow and there some introductory chapters that offer explanations about ingredients as well as general information about nutrition.

I would recommend this cookbook to anyone who is interested in low-carb cooking.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing a copy of this book for review.
I have tried a few of the recipes so far and have found the recipes to be simple and they taste great! I love this cookbook!
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley and Fair Winds Press for an honest review.
Any cookbook that has lovely tasty Low carb food recipes and I will love it and use it to feed the family horde. This wonderful book is filled to the brim with so many tasty and healthy recipes that are suitable to many different diets. So many people are on Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Dairy Free diets etc it is very hard to cater for all and in this cookbook many of the recipes aid the reader in this dilemma.  I seem to be serving more and more vegetables and less meat to the hungry horde and the many different vegetable recipes are very helpful in solving the daily prob;em in how to make the meals just that bit more different and also enjoyable especially when it comes to the dreaded Brussel Sprout and the much loved 'Spinach" and 'Broccoli'. As for the desserts I loved the Chocolate Cheesecake recipe as it sounds just wonderful for a sometimes for a special treat dessert. I can highly recommend this book.
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley for an honest review.

I read the author's other book "500 Ketogenic Recipes" and I thought that one was better.  "The New 500 Low-Carb Recipes" has good things in it too but she omits a lot of the recipes I liked in the "500 Ketogenic Recipes".
 Also, she still feels it is not necessary to include pictures in her cookbooks and still likes to lecture readers on dessert.
I received an Advanced Reader Copy from Fair Winds Press and Netgalley for my unbiased opinion of the book.  I really loved this book!!! I loved the simple easy to follow recipes and all the helpful insights and the caloric breakdown for each recipe.  I just wish there were more pictures.  Anyone looking a good way to cut carbs in their diet this is the book to do it.  I am cooking my way through this book and enjoying every minute of it!
Quite a comprehensive collection of low-carb recipes. The only negative comment I can make is that there were no photographs. Otherwise, all of the recipes looked delicious and full of flavor. There was a wide variety of recipes and certainly something to suit all tastes!

Thank you, Fair Winds Press and NetGalley!
You are looking at over 300 pages. With the font size, there are at least two recipes per page - so that can be good or bad depending on the reader. A varying mix of 2 to 5 steps and a few ingredients to a lot. Does give icons of whether it is keto, gluten free, grain free, and/or dairy-free, which can be helpful.
Some new recipes.  A lot of old tried and trues.  This would probably be super helpful for someone new to the low-carb scene.  While there are a few new options, I'm not sure I would recommend it to someone who has been doing this type of diet for a while.
Just as advertised, this book offers new and delicious recipes for those like me who are on low-carb lifestyle plans. This helps you think of it as a lifestyle and not diet with the delicious recipes. I also loved the gorgeous pictures that make your mouth water and have you hurrying to find the ingredients. This is a must have addition to a low-carb kitchen.

Thank you to the author, publisher, and Netgalley for the opportunity to review.
The recipes in this book are totally do able super easy and super cheap totally can not wait to try some for myself!
Nice recipe books with a great number of cool recipes I definitely want to try. Even though I like the layout and the structure of the book, I am missing photos of how the dish looks when it's done.
I've been wanting to try low carb recipes for awhile but just haven't started this book has helped with so many ideas of what to cook.  Watching my carbs may be easier than I think with these great recipes.
This would be my favorite cookbook even if I wasn’t trying to watch carbs!

I love the recipes in this book.  They contain only a few ingredients, many that are already kept at home.

It is easy to read.  The beginning tells us why we should care about carbs and how not to be taken in by “low carb” labels.  Then it is simply jam-packed with great recipes to try.  The author suggests trying at least one new recipe per week but it is easy to have more variety with the vast array of recipes contained here.

It also shows keto, grain-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free symbols on every recipe so that you never have to guess if your family or friends are able to eat it.

Don’t wait one more day. Go get this recipe book now.  It could save your life.

I received an ARC from Quarto Publishing through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  That in no way affects my opinion or rating of this book.
Especially the recipes with bread were the ones I was interested. This section did not disappoint. So many interesting and varied recipes for low carb bread, waffles and pancakes!

To be honest, the recipes that would normally contain a lot of carbs were the ones I was looking forward to, since they are hardest to alter. Making a salad, or broiling some chicken is easy, but low carb waffles that actually taste good that's like magic.

Lots of interesting recipes, easy to find dairy free or gluten free recipes thanks to pictographs. I might not have needed all of the salad recipes, but other people might find those helpful.