A Random Act of Kindness

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Jun 2019

This book really made me think about how one moment can change your life forever, how it can introduce you to new people in  your life that can change everything about yourself and those around you. I wasn't the biggest fan of the love story in this book and felt like it kind of took away from Fern's character development rather than making me liker her more.

Although i'm not the biggest lover of clothes or fashion I appreciated how they fit into the story and how all the different characters found a way to express their true selves through clothes and accessories. It made the this story so heartwarming and a lovable read.
The message behind the book was good. I liked the character Kim. But overall it was a bit of a lukewarm story. Nothing outstanding about it.
I received this book way back in March and for some reason thought it wasn't going to be good so I kept putting it off and not reading it.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

I finally sat down to clear all my queue before the year is over and within 20 pages, I didn't want to stop reading this lovely story. I loved the wide array of characters, each of whom were interesting on their own. I loved the beautiful clothing descriptions. I loved the dynamics between the characters, none of them were simple and while it was a sweet, romantic book, it also felt like I got close to each of the characters a little bit.

Sometimes I read a sweet novel and am left with an empty after taste, this felt more like a satisfying meal. It made me smile, and even laugh at parts, and I loved the happy ending that I knew was coming.

If you like to curl up with cozy, sweet, romance stories, you will enjoy this one. I did.

with gratitude to netgalley and avon books for an early copy that i clearly should have read much sooner.
When Fern loses her job as a personal shopper she takes a stall at Camden market selling vintage clothes,  next to David that she was at school with.  Through various acts of kindness we meet Dinah and her husband Moss and Kim a cross dressing widower.

A nice easy reading book, not a lot really happens but the characters and laid back storyline make it worth reading,  especially if you are interested in vintage clothes
This is a really easy read with a good blend of humour and romance.
Ideal for a holiday read and even better if you are into vintage clothing.
I couldn't do it.  I just could not finish this book.  I tried, again and again, but I just do not care about the main character.  I don't even feel like her name-Fern-fits the character.  After months, I am 33% done, and I give up.

Fern sells old "vintage" clothes in a stall, but a fire ruined her stash.  There is a side story of a man, who seems to be dressing in his dead wife's clothes, and I believe Fern is going to get her collection, but I just do not care enough to finish this book.  I will not be recommending it to anyone.
A very sweet, heart warming book.  I was drawn in by Fern and her determination to make a success of her vintage clothing business.
The ending is a bit predictable but it's an enjoyable, light read for all that.
My thanks to Netgalley, the author and publisher for this copy.
A very lovely and heartwarming romance that is about finding yourself, discovering you can stand on your own two feet if you cast fears aside.

Having not read anything by the author before I was tentative at first but I really did find it enjoyable. With a lot of different characters, I was a little overwhelmed by them all but each added something different and it was quite nice in the end to have so many different types of character.

If you are into fashion you will enjoy the references interwoven throughout - I am not into it at all but it wasn't something that put me off.
3.5 stars. This was a fairly easy, fast and fluffy read. It's a heartwarming romance about finding yourself, learning to stand on your own two feet, letting go of fears and opening up your heart. It was an enjoyable, sometimes funny read that left me feeling content when I finished it.

I liked Fern's character and her passion for fashion (specifically her vintage wear). She's very focused on making other people happy by finding them the perfect fit to 'lift' them as she's a strong believer that how you dress yourself can change how you think and feel. However, she faces a lot of insecurities and really puts herself down mostly because of her parents (particularly her mother who, frankly, was really awful). While she was very tolerant and understanding of her mother who treated her so badly, I do wish that Fern had the strength to stand up for herself by the end of the novel. That said, their conflict did 'resolve' itself naturally, although I felt a little too perfectly and perhaps unbelievably? I also wish that we got to learn more about David. As Fern's love interest, I felt he fell a bit flat. We don't really get to know him other than he's quirky, quite serious and maybe even boring, and that he's got model handsome good looks. I liked his character but wished that he was given more dimension.

There are a lot of characters and I sometimes felt myself getting confused at how they were being introduced and how they'd suddenly appear in Fern's life, however, I ended up really looking the eclectic bunch and I think Jenkins did a good job of including characters of all ages, genders and sexualities. For the most part everyone was also friendly, maybe sometimes almost perfectly so, but it really added to the 'feel-good' quality of the story. I also really enjoyed how the fashion was mixed into the story, although it was difficult for me to picture the clothes because I'm not that big on fashion; so I will say if you're not interested in the stuff, it might not be for you.

MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD!
One thing that I didn't particularly understand was why we got Kim's POV instead of Dinah's. I understand that Fern really made a big impact on Kim's life and that he was the reason the big show happened at the end. However, it felt a little bit random to me because so much of the story revolved around Dinah and Fern. I liked how everyone came together and became friends because of Fern, however, I felt a little unsure about Kim's chapters and (sorry but) I didn't feel it really added a whole lot to the story.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for providing the e-ARC for an honest review.
I really enjoyed this book. It was heartwarming, uplifting and joyful to read with just enough twist to make it different and fresh. I love the vintage fashion inspired theme as it was so vivid!
When I first received this book I was so excited to read it being a fan of Eleanor Oliphant. However I just don’t see the comparison. The story heavily focuses on high fashion and haute couture (something I have very little knowledge of) as it’s theme, bringing the characters together. I imagine someone interested in fashion would love the references. I just felt it was really lacking something.
This is a cosy story about vintage fashion, a young woman and an elderly lady with a Haute Couture collection. Very chick-lit and probably a bit young for me.
I loved this book. It produced so many emotions, raised so many questions and provided some answers. I love that the story revolves around clothes, and how they make you feel, giving background to other thoughts and stories..
The relationships are real and believable.
This book comes at a time when vintage clothes and throwaway fashion are hitting the headlines, and takes you behind the clothes, into the lives of the people who wear them.
3 stars
Not what I was expecting, but still a good read.
Thank you NetGalley and Avon Books for an ARC of this title.
This felt like it was trying very hard to be Sophie Kinsella, but unfortunately for me it lacked the heart of the story.

An average rom com which didn’t quite hit the spot.
A typical chick lit book that is desperately trying to be like Sophie kin sells just not one of my favorites. I wanted to like it.
3.5 ⭐️ rounded up to 4

Fern sells vintage clothes from a stall at Camden Market in London. She had just lost her job as a personal shopper for a large department store. Her mother, Annabel has been a medal and her love for clothes had rubbed off on Fern.

A few of the characters felt a bit flat in this easy to read story that is all about vintage fashion. Although the storylines a bit predictable, it does have that feel good feeling about it and a happy ending. Whether your into any kind of fashion or not, the clothes are well described. A very pleasant read.

I would like to thank NetGalley, Avon Books UK and the author Sophie Jenkins for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Fern is too busy making sure other people feel good about themselves to give much thought to her own happiness. But somehow, without her noticing, life has run away from her.

Suddenly, Fern realises her vintage clothes business is struggling, and the casual relationship she’d always thought she was happy in doesn’t look so appealing.

But sometimes, karma really does come through. And when Fern goes out of her way to help 85-year-old Dinah, little does she realise their new friendship will change her life.

Dinah may have troubles in her past, but she’s lived and loved to the full. Can Dinah show Fern that even the smallest acts of kindness can make the world a better place?

This was a very fun and quirky read!

*Book received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*
This is a heartwarming and fun read. On the surface it is "only" a lovely romcom, but there is more to it than meets the eye. The main character, Fern has issues with her parents, mainly her mother who somehow makes her feel a disappointment. Fern uses clothes to hide and protect herself and offers the same to her customers. Her motto is in the right clothes you can achieve anything and she always finds the right clothes for them.
The book is full of quirky characters. One of my favourites is the gentleman with a passion for ladies' wear. He is lucky to find friends who help him be himself without hiding or feeling ashamed.
An interesting feature of the book is that every chapter begins with the description of a vintage garment that plays an important role in the chapter.
I enjoyed reading this novel from beginning to end and I was delighted to get my happy ending. I can recommend it to everyone who loves vintage fashion and good stories with quirky characters.
The Blurb :

My Thoughts :
We meet Fern Banks, when she loses her job as a personal shopper in a department store, she sets about running a vintage clothes stall in London’s Camden Market.
One day she meets and helps Dinah, who is an old Jewish lady in her 80s. Things take a turn and life is about to change for both of them. Can one small act of kindness change the path of life we are on?!.
Although clothing and fashion is not my thing, I found this to be a very interesting story and I liked how each chapter was started with a description of a fashion garment, a nice little touch to the overall story.
There are some great descriptions, and visualisations of the clothes being sold and worn, along with a little romance and friendships.
I loved the market setting and getting to know the supporting characters.
I am looking forward to Sophie Jenkins next release.