Cover Image: A Random Act of Kindness

A Random Act of Kindness

Jenkins is 400 pages of sweet. The story follows the aftermath of a personal shopper and vintage clothing enthusiast’s kind act towards an older more sophisticated woman. While I enjoyed Fern’s caprice for life and/or love and lust for fashion, what I appreciated most about this read was it’s ability to highlight and elevate the value of older women. Like movies and television shows, novels grossly under represent the role of middle aged and elderly women in our world. For that, I applaud Jenkins.

Random Acts doesn’t resonate as well as The Idea of You or even other books to which it has been compared, but any literature that increases the number of mature female characters who are not validated by their connection to a man is a winner in my book. I wholeheartedly support reading it for yourself and rounding up. It’s always good to err on the side of feminism.

Thank you NetGalley for providing the ARC.
I actually wound up purchasing this book after I received a preview digital copy (which is why it took me so long to review!). This is Elinore Oliphant (quirkiness) meets the whole vibe I get from most Sophie Kinsella (an underlying heart of gold in characters - an innocence and kindness) books. There's also a kind of coziness to A Random Act of KIndness that I thoroughly enjoyed. Books about vintage clothing and shops just completely warm my heart. I see old clothing just like I see old books. I want to surround myself in the history of old pieces. I also want my own Dinah in my life! And Kim was so charming and kind. A great escape. Thank you for the opportunity to read this, Netgalley! (One note: I feel like the cover doesn't match the book somehow - I can't put my finger on it. Just too simplistic, I suppose).
I read about half the book but it was not a story that captivated my interest, although the writing was okay.
I will not write a review about it, because I consider that it will influence some readers and ithat would never be my intention.
Thank you NetGalley for the chance to read it.
Please note that this book is not for me - I have read the book, However I had to DNF and because i do not like to give negative reviews I will not review this book fully - there is no specific reason for not liking this book. I found it a struggle to read and did not enjoy trying to force myself to read this book.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused and thank you for the opportunity to read this book
I enjoyed this feel-good story. The main character Fern was really relatable and I enjoyed seeing how she grew as a person over the course of the book. I felt like the book took a little while to establish itself but once it did it was an enjoyable read.
A great read, thank you for allowing me to read it! While the book started off a little slow for me, I was eventually swept into it! The love of fashion was just as fun as the romance present. The characters were fun and interesting! Definitely a feel-good read!
Thank you publisher and netgalley for the early copy!

I started the novel but could not connect with the main plot. I decided to put it down.
Very cute story, unfortunately it just didn't keep my interest. Took a while for me to complete.

Thank you NetGalley for this ARC.
Fern is passionate about making other people feel great about themselves. She just doesn’t feel that great about herself. Her vintage fashion business is not doing as well as she (or her mother) would like, and the man she is in love with is in love with another woman.

When she meets 85 year old Dinah and her husband Moss. Her business takes on a new direction.

With a cast of beautiful characters (cross dressing Kim, woodworker David, and pensioners Mercia and Betty) this book leaves you feeling happy that Fern finally gets her happy ending, the one she always pushes other people towards.

Can a random act of kindness ever go unpunished?
I finally have the chance to read ‘A Random Act of Kindness’ and I can’t wait to read more of Sophie’s books.

The story focuses on Fern Banks and her vintage clothing business, after she loses her job. From this point she meets some very interested people; there’s David Westwood who she’s taken a particular shine to and the very unique Dinah and her husband Moss. Fern has shown me that it’s important to be yourself even if that doesn’t make everyone else happy. I was inspired by her passion for vintage clothes. Of course I took a bit of a dislike to Fern’s mother, she’s very self-centered!

Sophie’s writing is witty and uplifting, her character’s personalities show the more you turn the pages. ‘A Random Act of Kindness’ is a cosy read with a magical touch of astrology ❤️

I found myself trying to guess what was going to happen to Fern next (and never guessing correctly!) I give ‘A Random Act of Kindness’ 4*/5* 😊

Thank you to Avon Books for an advanced copy of this book via Netgalley
This book really made me think about how one moment can change your life forever, how it can introduce you to new people in  your life that can change everything about yourself and those around you. I wasn't the biggest fan of the love story in this book and felt like it kind of took away from Fern's character development rather than making me liker her more.

Although i'm not the biggest lover of clothes or fashion I appreciated how they fit into the story and how all the different characters found a way to express their true selves through clothes and accessories. It made the this story so heartwarming and a lovable read.
The message behind the book was good. I liked the character Kim. But overall it was a bit of a lukewarm story. Nothing outstanding about it.
I received this book way back in March and for some reason thought it wasn't going to be good so I kept putting it off and not reading it.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

I finally sat down to clear all my queue before the year is over and within 20 pages, I didn't want to stop reading this lovely story. I loved the wide array of characters, each of whom were interesting on their own. I loved the beautiful clothing descriptions. I loved the dynamics between the characters, none of them were simple and while it was a sweet, romantic book, it also felt like I got close to each of the characters a little bit.

Sometimes I read a sweet novel and am left with an empty after taste, this felt more like a satisfying meal. It made me smile, and even laugh at parts, and I loved the happy ending that I knew was coming.

If you like to curl up with cozy, sweet, romance stories, you will enjoy this one. I did.

with gratitude to netgalley and avon books for an early copy that i clearly should have read much sooner.
When Fern loses her job as a personal shopper she takes a stall at Camden market selling vintage clothes,  next to David that she was at school with.  Through various acts of kindness we meet Dinah and her husband Moss and Kim a cross dressing widower.

A nice easy reading book, not a lot really happens but the characters and laid back storyline make it worth reading,  especially if you are interested in vintage clothes
This is a really easy read with a good blend of humour and romance.
Ideal for a holiday read and even better if you are into vintage clothing.
I couldn't do it.  I just could not finish this book.  I tried, again and again, but I just do not care about the main character.  I don't even feel like her name-Fern-fits the character.  After months, I am 33% done, and I give up.

Fern sells old "vintage" clothes in a stall, but a fire ruined her stash.  There is a side story of a man, who seems to be dressing in his dead wife's clothes, and I believe Fern is going to get her collection, but I just do not care enough to finish this book.  I will not be recommending it to anyone.
A very sweet, heart warming book.  I was drawn in by Fern and her determination to make a success of her vintage clothing business.
The ending is a bit predictable but it's an enjoyable, light read for all that.
My thanks to Netgalley, the author and publisher for this copy.
A very lovely and heartwarming romance that is about finding yourself, discovering you can stand on your own two feet if you cast fears aside.

Having not read anything by the author before I was tentative at first but I really did find it enjoyable. With a lot of different characters, I was a little overwhelmed by them all but each added something different and it was quite nice in the end to have so many different types of character.

If you are into fashion you will enjoy the references interwoven throughout - I am not into it at all but it wasn't something that put me off.
3.5 stars. This was a fairly easy, fast and fluffy read. It's a heartwarming romance about finding yourself, learning to stand on your own two feet, letting go of fears and opening up your heart. It was an enjoyable, sometimes funny read that left me feeling content when I finished it.

I liked Fern's character and her passion for fashion (specifically her vintage wear). She's very focused on making other people happy by finding them the perfect fit to 'lift' them as she's a strong believer that how you dress yourself can change how you think and feel. However, she faces a lot of insecurities and really puts herself down mostly because of her parents (particularly her mother who, frankly, was really awful). While she was very tolerant and understanding of her mother who treated her so badly, I do wish that Fern had the strength to stand up for herself by the end of the novel. That said, their conflict did 'resolve' itself naturally, although I felt a little too perfectly and perhaps unbelievably? I also wish that we got to learn more about David. As Fern's love interest, I felt he fell a bit flat. We don't really get to know him other than he's quirky, quite serious and maybe even boring, and that he's got model handsome good looks. I liked his character but wished that he was given more dimension.

There are a lot of characters and I sometimes felt myself getting confused at how they were being introduced and how they'd suddenly appear in Fern's life, however, I ended up really looking the eclectic bunch and I think Jenkins did a good job of including characters of all ages, genders and sexualities. For the most part everyone was also friendly, maybe sometimes almost perfectly so, but it really added to the 'feel-good' quality of the story. I also really enjoyed how the fashion was mixed into the story, although it was difficult for me to picture the clothes because I'm not that big on fashion; so I will say if you're not interested in the stuff, it might not be for you.

MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD!
One thing that I didn't particularly understand was why we got Kim's POV instead of Dinah's. I understand that Fern really made a big impact on Kim's life and that he was the reason the big show happened at the end. However, it felt a little bit random to me because so much of the story revolved around Dinah and Fern. I liked how everyone came together and became friends because of Fern, however, I felt a little unsure about Kim's chapters and (sorry but) I didn't feel it really added a whole lot to the story.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for providing the e-ARC for an honest review.
I really enjoyed this book. It was heartwarming, uplifting and joyful to read with just enough twist to make it different and fresh. I love the vintage fashion inspired theme as it was so vivid!