The Expert Guide to Sleeping Well

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Apr 2019

Getting a good night's sleep can make a tremendous difference in your daily attitude, appetites, and even long-term health. This comprehensive and reassuring guide will help readers assess their sleep environment, look for possible sleep disorders or other problems, and figure out how to get better sleep.
I want to thank the publisher, Watkins Publishing, and Netgalley for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This book is the most comprehensive book I have read on the subject of sleep.  This book covers way more than just recommendations of how to sleep well, it goes into the science of sleep.   What makes this book very attractive is that it has sleeping guides for  different people, such as sleep guide for parents. students, athletes and frequent flyers , drivers and shift workers. This allows you to read specifically what applies to you.

This book, may be too detailed for the average reader, but you can read this book over time and  learn a lot.

I have enjoyed the book and have taken a couple of weeks to get through it.
Very comprehensive guide especially for those just starting to research their sleep issues.  I've had sleep difficulties for many years and have done lots of research on it, so personally I didn't find it so helpful, but that would not stop me from recommending it to a beginning researcher.

As always, thanks to the publisher and to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this title.
#TheExpertGuideToSleepingWell #NetGalley
Not my cup-of-tea, but interesting nonetheless! I would recommend this, but I don't think I gained much from it myself.
It was an interesting and well-explained story. There were quite some things that I recognized as well as some tips that I applied in my life. The few downsides that I experienced were the text boxes that "interrupted" my reading, and I found some explanations to be too elaborate.
A really helpful guide to sleep that is probably best to dip in and out of rather than read in one go. Packed full of holistic and natural approaches to improving sleep this is a good place to start for those who are suffering due to short-term sleep issues. Thanks to the publisher and netgalley for an ARC,
Very informative but the ebook needs to be reformatted. I never did finish it because of the formatting issues. I did like what I read though.

3 stars for information, would have been higher if it wasn't for the formatting issue.
I'm really impressed by how comprehensive this guide is and will definitely be recommending it to anyone I come across whose sleep suffers. It gives not only guidance on how to improve your sleep but explains the stages of sleep. Having suffered on and off from insomnia for many years and considering myself fairly clued up on things I can do to help myself, I was pleased to find there are still things I can try. Highly readable and I have no hesitation in giving it five stars. With thanks to Netgalley and publisher for the digital copy to review in exchange for my honest opinion.
Thank you Net Galley and Watkins Publishing for the opportunity to read and review this book.

This guide to sleeping well, is a bit dry.
It offers a wealth of information about sleep disorders, insomnia, and healthy habits for falling asleep and staying asleep, as well as getting a good night's sleep on a regular basis.

Favorite quote:
"...in order to perform multiple, complex tasks simultaneously,women use more of their brains than men do, so they have increased need for consolidation time-and that means a greater need for sleep."
this book was more useful than i was expecting!

A very good guide on all matters concerning sleep and very helpful for people who need some aid on this matter!

A lot of topics and info, which sometimes can be overwhelming, however when you want to find a thorough book regarding this matter, i believe you should pick it up :)
This book gave a great overview of almost everything sleep related from sleep mechanics, to good sleep hygiene, to what to expect when pregnant and after having a child, to covering various sleep disorders and some ways to deal with them. I learned a lot and found it helpful.

The only issue I found was with the eARC review copy that was sent to my Kindle -- every couple pages a paragraph would get cut off and then the rest of the paragraph would show up a couple pages later. It was distracting when reading and prevented me from gaining information from those paragraphs. The publisher should be aware of this issue before distribution to the mass market.
This is a thorough look at the science of sleep and how to harness it to improve your own shut eye.  As someone who has thankfully had little difficulty sleeping in my life (if you ignore the years dictated by my nocturnal children), this was probably more in-depth than I needed.  But on the subject of sleep broken by babies, I think my favourite thing about this book was that it looks at the different sleep needs and problems linked to a whole lot of lifestyles (students, parents, shift workers), as well as through the life course.  The sleep hygiene section is relevant to everyone, and it's amazing what a difference to your sleep things like temperature and light can make.  For me, this isn't a book for reading cover to cover, but the sort of book you have as a reference and which will serve you well over the years as your sleep needs change.  Sleep is so important, more so than we often give it credit for, and this book gives you all the knowledge to make the best of it.
If only this book could actually get me to sleep well. The advice is all well and good, but some of it is unrealistic and the rest doesnt work for my neurodivergent brain
This is an extremely thorough guide to all thing related to sleep! It goes from very basic explanations of why we sleep and how to improve our own, all the way to scientific explanations of brain waves. As somehow who is already in tune with my body and sleep needs, I found it validating to see that I am on the right track with my self care. However I found the content at times to be redundant and there was SO MUCH information, it was tough to find what's relevant to me. I blame the e-book formatting for this, and hope that would change before publication. In my copy, the information is presented in solid blocks without a lot of spacing when transitioning to a new topic. There are no illustrations that the text refers to. Also there are spots where a paragraph is obviously in the wrong place. Without the formatting issues, this book will be a great resource for anyone wanting to learn about how sleep is connected to all other facets of our life.
If you know almost nothing about sleeping habits then this is a great book for you. However, if you are a relatively good sleeper and are looking for a schedule to follow then this isn't the book. The information is great for those that have bad sleep habits. The information was presented in a way that felt overwhelming though and if I didn't already know a lot of it I might have been even more overwhelmed.
I never get enough sleep and reading this book actually helped. It wasn’t new ideas or concepts for me but maybe more of conditioning and reminders of past advice
This is a great resource for anyone who has trouble sleeping. The book covers a variety of sleep topics from the difference of being tired and fatigue to sleep issues such as insomnia. There are a number of tips to help you get to sleep and stay asleep. Being a person who experiences problems staying asleep and being tired, I  am looking forward to trying some of these tips.

I voluntarily agreed to read a copy of this book supplied by NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own and in no way have been influenced.
This book gives you an in-depth look at sleep. It not only focuses on how to get better sleep, but also what sleep is. It is very well organizes as well. I found it nice that the I was able to skip to the area I wanted to learn about and then go back to read the rest later. I definitely learned a lot.

This book is for those who want better sleep, but also for those who simply want to learn about sleep. This book uses beginner vocabulary and is easy to read. The book is well-researched and informative. I truly think it's a book we all should read. It's important to know about sleep.

Thank you netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for this honest review.
A holistic approach and complete guide to getting a good night's sleep, backed up by current thinking and research.  I found this book highly absorbing, interesting and it made complete sense.  It's not all about pill popping either, rather it's about effective and natural ways to adjust your routine and lifestyle to offer you the optimum chance of both falling asleep and then staying asleep.

Many thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this ARC for which I have given my voluntary and unbiased review.
Interesting and informative resource book. It is evident that the author put a lot of effort into educating the readers about this subject. Highly recommend.