Core 52

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 22 Jan 2020

This is an excellent Bible study guide.  It is written in an easy manner.  It is broken into 52 weeks with each subdivided into 5 days.  Do not feel overwhelmed when reading the entire essay on the first day.  The subsequent days involve memorizing a verse, reading a chapter, meditating on verses and reading another related but shorter section of the Bible.

The author makes the reading interesting.  Some days, I wanted to keep reading beyond what was suggested.  As an example, when discussing Jesus and Moses as being similar characteristics as Rabbis viewed Moses as the model for the future Messiah.  He states:

To compare any Jew to the founder of the nation was an outrageous claim.  Such a bold claim is better demonstrated than merely stated.  Hence, most of the comparisons of Jesus to Moses in the New Testament are illusions rather than assertions.  Even so, the sheer volume offers a compelling case that Jesus fulfilled this messianic prophecy.

If you are looking for a non-workbook study, this is one of my favorites.  I try to consistently do Bible studies each morning.  I was only able to work through a few months before this review but am anxious to continue on my journey.

I received an ARC from Waterbook and Multnomah Publishing through NetGalley.  This in no way affects my opinion or rating of this book.  I am voluntarily submitting this review and am under no obligation to do so.
A few years ago I was teaching a Life Group and made a comment like "and you all know what David did to Goliath".  Half of the group didn't know.  Not only were the stories foreign to them but the concepts they taught were not know either.

I was given an ebook of "Core 52" by Mark E. Moore.  This book takes the 52 weeks of the year and breaks up what the author considered as the key 52 discussions of the church.  I must admit, at first glance I was distracted by his introduction.  For one it almost seemed like he was saying "Don't read the Bible, just read my simple little devotion and you'll be okay".  I then felt like he was saying that not everyone needed to fellowship in a church thus the larger need for this book.  I THOUGHT THAT AT FIRST GLANCE.  I WAS WRONG.

I place those last lines in bold because if not you might miss them.  My assumption, as a pastor and leader who wants to ensure my people understand the Bible, read the Bible and engage together the living word of God, is the same passion this author has.

Each week you will read for about 15 min's on day one.  This reading will engage a Core topic and leave you with a few Key Points.  Day two challenges you to memorize a verse that associates and strengthens the key points.  Day three you will engage in another reading of scripture.   This verse or group of verses will again strengthen the Key Points.  Day four then challenges you to spend time in just a couple verses that again tie to the weeks Key Points.  And finally day 5 leaves you with one simple question to journal around.

Thats really it.  15 min's or less a day for 52 weeks will help you grow in your knowledge of God and even challenge you to engage in community.

Now for those overachievers there are also two additional challenges each week.  1 is another passage to memorize and the second is a "Bonus Reading" that one can find in your local library or on Amazon.  This is for those who want to engage more than just 15 min's a day, and want to read a book on the key points.

As I read through the first couple months worth of readings, memorizing etc. I instantly could see applying this to a life group, a discipleship group, new believers, group, accountability group, or even an entire church.  The concept is simple yet very in depth and challenging.

I have to say, Core 52 blew away my expectations.  I am looking forward to ordering print copies for my teens, and myself and to engage this together with them.  52 weeks to a deeper walk with Christ.  Whose in?
Core 52 by Mark E. Moore is a great devotional.  Core 52 stands for 52 verses in the Bible that are powerful, influential verses.  Mark calls them the most important verses in the Bible.  I would have to agree that the verses he brings to each section show to have an impact throughout the Bible.  Mark is so thorough in showing the cross references as well as great in-depth explanations of the impact of each verse.  Here is the sign of a wise man.  Mark shows you where every thought came from by taking you to a verse.  These are not new ideas.  They are simply truths that are already present just brought out by a good teacher (Mark).  In other words, it's Bible based and no fluff.
You better be ready to think and ponder a bit in this book.  It digs into things and reveals cultural and deeper theological truths.  There was a chapter called finding happiness that I read to my 17 year old son.  At the beginning he was barely listening while looking at another book.  By the end he was looking intently at me and his book was in his lap.  This has the power to engage people of all ages because it really speaks plainly to our soul’s needs and wants.
I can see this book generating incredible conversations in a small group as well.  At the end of each chapter are bullet points that could be further discussed in a group setting.
All in all I've really enjoyed this book and think others will too.  One of Mark's challenges at the end of each chapter is to memorize the verse from that chapter.  That's my plan now.  There has also been a website developed, core52.org, to go deeper.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

*** Also posted on B&N, ChristianBook
Pastor Mark E. Moore wrote Core 52 as a way for everyday Christians to learn the Bible through daily readings, memorization of Scripture, and prayer. He selected what he considers the most important teachings of the Bible and has organized them into a collection of essays designed to be read one per week. One day a week is dedicated to reading the essay, the next to memorizing scripture, then short Bible readings and practical application.

I like the approach used here. Geared to assist busy people willing to carve out a few minutes a day makes this goal very attainable. The essays are engaging, easy to read, and are consistent with Biblical teaching.

Christians who do not have a solid foundation for what they believe or why they believe it can benefit from going through Core 52. It is also good for those who need a refresher on the basic tenets of the Christian faith and for those who are simply curious about Christianity.
Core 52 is a wonderful guide to learn more about God's Word, the Bible. The author, Mark E. Moore is a teaching pastor in Phoenix, AZ and has been a professor at several Christian colleges and universities, as well as being the author and co-author of many books. In Core 52 readers will find a well-organized plan to, as the title suggests, build your Bible IQ. I liked the easy to understand language and how the author has laid out the information in a 52-week structure to guide the reader into further understanding of a number of subjects related to the Scriptures. With a suggested time frame of fifteen minutes a day, each week's subject begins with a several page essay and key points, and then a guide to follow during the week. Readers will learn and build their Bible IQ about subjects such as Creation, Our True Identity, The Holy Spirit, Morality, Money, Knowing God's Will, and Heaven. Through the week readers are then encouraged to memorize, read, and meditate on specific scriptures, and then a suggestion is given to make application of that week's lesson. The author also includes something he calls "Overachiever Challenge" and a Bonus Read, that suggests a book to read that is related to the subject of the week. One of the weeks I found especially encouraging is the one on Freedom as Moore reminds readers that freedom begins with Christ's work on the cross to forgive sin and then freedom is lived out as we live by the Spirit rather than our natural instincts and the recognition of who we are as sons of God. This book is a great resource for one's personal library (the church library too) and to give as a gift.
I received a complimentary copy of the book from Waterbrook Publishers and was not required to write a review. The opinions are my own.
I was looking for a daily Bible Study that was different, something more than just reading a little devotional with something to think about at the end.  I wanted something with different options, lots of structure, and with the aide of memorizing scripture.  This book has all of that plus more.  You have 52 weeks of devotionals with an assignment each day, Day 1, you read the essay, Day 2, you memorize scripture, Day 3, there will be scripture to read, Day 4, scripture to meditate on, Day 5, there will be an assignment.  You are also given the option for an Overachiever Challenge and bonus material to read.  I would recommend this book to anyone who is wanting to get deeper into scripture and also looking for a very structured study plan.
Core52 is a new book and online resource available from pastor and teacher Mark Moore. This book is "a Fifteen-Minutes Daily Guide to Build Your Bible IQ in a Year." Each of the 52 chapters focuses on a key verse and doctrine from the Bible. Each chapter focuses on an essay that provides an introduction to the verse or concept. After each essay, a This Week checklist appears which provides the daily assignments for the week. Day 1 is to read the essay. Day 2 is to memorize the verse of the week. Day 3 indicates several Bible chapters to read. Day 4 suggests several passages for meditation and day 5 provides an activity to complete. Moore also provides several additional options including the Overachiever Challenge which suggests another memory verse and a suggested book to read to learn more about the topic.

As Dr. Mark Moore currently serves as teaching pastor at Christ's Church of the Valley in Peoria, Arizona and previously taught at Ozark Christian College each essay is very thorough but is designed for individuals who do not have a Bible background. As Core52 is not a "through the Bible" reading plan, Moore is able to draw from the entirety of scripture to explore each topic. As such, although readers will not have read the entire Bible when they finish Core52, they will have a very thorough understanding of the entire Bible and it's content. Individuals who truly utilize the activities for all 5 days of each week will go beyond mere reading of scripture to truly knowing and applying it.

The combination of a book and online resources including an app provides an excellent resources that can be utilized in numerous ways. Individuals are certainly encouraged to read the book for their own spiritual growth. While reading the book, I frequently found myself thinking a discussion guide would be quite handy. I was delighted to find that a discussion guide is available on the accompanying website which makes Core52 an excellent resource for a small group or Sunday School class to study. The online app also includes a video essays for each week and other resources. Ministers will find a wealth of material to use for preaching as well. The combined use of Core52 for preaching and small groups would provide a dynamic opportunity for spiritual growth in a congregation. I highly recommend that ministers or small group leaders who are seeking material for groups that begin in the fall or January consider this resource.
This book is set up for you to spend 15 minutes a day, five days a week, for a year, in order to increase your Bible IQ. There are small assignments for each day that include things to read, memorize, or meditate on.  There are bonus book recommendations if you want to learn more about a topic.
The author feels that if you’re confident in your Bible knowledge, you’ll be more apt to share or engage others with it.  This book can definitely help with that.  This is not a typical walk-through-the-Bible approach.  It goes more topically and connections with other areas of the Bible are interwoven to show how it all works together.  For instance, when talking about the beatitudes in Matthew, the author gives references to where those same principles are seen in other parts of Scripture.   I appreciated that.
This book isn’t just Bible study.  Along with the Scriptural passages, there is an essay with practical application.  For example, Moore talks about grit being the “ability to stick with a difficult task not for weeks or months but for years. Grit empowers you to live life ‘like it’s a marathon, not a sprint (location 5175).’”  He then talks about how to gain grit.   As I said, it’s a different approach to increasing Bible IQ.  It’s very thought provoking.  While it certainly doesn’t cover everything in the Bible, it could definitely make one more confident that they understand what the Bible is about.
Thank you to WaterBrook for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book.  All opinions are my own.
Core 52: A Fifteen Minute Daily Guide to Build Your Bible IQ in a Year my Mark E Moore.  Mark has dug out the 52 core themes in the bible for us to cover in a year.  Surveys tell us that most people want to know the bible better but don’t have or make the time and don’t know where to start.  This was a good summation for myself.  I have never made it through a read the bible in a year.

For each of the 52 core themes, Mark includes
1-	Scripture
2-	Additional verses for meditation
3-	Action items for application
4-	And additional resources for the over achievers

There is something to do for five days of the week that augment the core passage of the week.
I am writing this review as I am in week one and I feel really good about this plan. I will update my review if my thoughts change but at this time I highly recommend this book.  I grew up in church but just don’t feel that I know the bible like I want to and this appears to be a very doable approach to learning more.

I received this book from Netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review.
You can see my full review at More Than a Review dot com where I rate the level of sex, violence, language and drug/alcohol use in books.
Would you give 15 minutes a day to increase your knowledge of the Bible? This book is an excellent resource for people who are new in their faith, or who are looking to make a daily commitment to be in the Word, but aren't exactly sure where to start. With so much insight and encouragement to continue the studies beyond what is included in the devotion, this book is a really wonderful resource for any Christian's library. Interesting topics, clear insight to the scriptures, and extra resources make this easy to recommend. Great book!
This is a Bible for study for those who really want to dig into the Word.  For those who are willing to devote fifteen minutes a day, will be able to master the 52 most important verses in the Bible in only a year.   Although there are many reading plans it helps to have one that actually helps you understand the words that you are reading.  This is what Core 52 is all about.

Mark Moore coaches you through 52 of the Bible's most important verses. These are the "core" of the Bible. Each verse clears the path to master and manage dozens of other verses that run along the same principle path. At the end of this journey, you will move from curiosity about the Bible to competence in the Bible. It is the quickest onramp to understanding the whole of God's Word.

t

My Thoughts:   If you are looking for a Bible Study this is a good study to look into.

Each verse you study opens the path to master and guide you through many of other verses that run along the same path of verses with the same principles. At the end of this study, you will feel more comfortable in your study of the Bible.    It will make your Bible reading more interesting and easier to follow. You will find yourself reading more and doing more independent study of the Bible.   In this easy to follow the guide, the daily lesson includes an essay about a theme found in the Bible, verses to memorize, scripture to read, an "overachiever challenge,” along with a book suggestion that goes with the theme for the week. Some of the topics were prayer, grace, creation, prophecy, the Holy Spirit, heaven, among many others.
Core 52
By Mark E. Moore
To be clear I am not even halfway through this book to give it a true review however from what I have read I want to share my thoughts and encourage you to read it.
Although the book is advertised as a 15 minute a day read to master important verses of the Bible, I would recommend setting aside more time. The first day is long and the following day's challenges can vary in length. I have a very distracting life (kids, husband… need I say more) as I’m sure many do and I end up needing to reread sentences to fully understand and grasp the point being made. It is also my attempt to really marinate in the thoughts being presented. Rereading keeps me focused. Long story long here I think that in order to enjoy this you should give yourself the time to experience all that is being shared.
There are 52 chapters of focused discussion on essential verses and concepts in the Bible. From Creation to Heaven nothing is left unturned.  It is organized with a starting verse followed by considerate questions to dissect the verse, and finally key points. At the end of this, there is a weekly schedule of related challenges to keep the ideas continuing, including further suggested reading.
This book is not just about building your Bible IQ in a year like it says on the cover, but it also provides insights that as a Christian made reading the Bible interesting and it got me reading more verses, chapters and looking into the context of scenarios written.
Thanks Netgalley for granting me a digital copy of this book. It's a must-read for anyone looking to explore the Bible and increase their knowledge.
I am going through and listening to the full cast audio version of the bible this year and decided to check this out to help augment my biblical understanding and to help me to incorporate the lessons as well.

With each section including a main point, focal bible quote, expansion on meaning, and then a helpful checklist, I can see this being a great gift for a loved one or for yourself.

The checklists include verses to read, bonus material you can seek out, and more!

I wound up gaining a lot of insight and coming across concepts that were completely new to me too. There are several great pull quotes that not only applied to the time in history in which they were first written, but also to now!

Highly recommend if you are looking to expand your knowledge of the bible.