Disney's Star Wars

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 Jul 2019

Not only readable but this discussion includes insider debates about content and almost political/ marketing issues that reflect outside world too.. so great combination .. almost journalistic presentation of important cultural issues.  Bravo!
This is a great look at the acquisition of Lucas Films by Disney and how the fans reacted to their beloved Star Wars being a part of the deal. It was interesting to read about some of the fears that fans had, as some were out there!  I enjoyed this book a lot!
To start off I have to admit I am not involved in the Star Wars fandom. I like the Star Wars movies just fine, but it has always been a bit of a mystery to me why it is as popular as it is.

Disney's Star Wars: Forces of Production, Promotion, and Reception is a collection of essays written by scholarly fans of the franchise.
The language is academical, which contrasts sharply with Star Wars' and Disney's images as children's entertainment. Don't expect a quick, light read! This book is not for children, it delves deep into the topics it covers, using the most convoluted vocabulary possible.
It's also full of spoilers for the Star Wars movies, so beware if you haven't seen them yet!

The extensive analyses behind the fan reactions to the latest Star Wars movies were interesting, showing that for many (white male) fans the diversity of the cast was seen as problematic, while other fans liked the diversity but felt the franchise didn't make enough of an effort to include the female lead character Rey in their merchandise.
I guess with such a large fandom you just can't make everybody happy. But it also shows how very personal and intimate the experience of being a Star Wars fan is to many people.
I especially enjoyed the little peeks behind the scenes of how the (new) movies were made.

Disney's Star Wars: Forces of Production, Promotion, and Reception provides a fascinating look into the good, the bad, and the ugly of both the Star Wars franchise and fandom.
This is a fascinating anthology of essays based upon the production and reception of Star Wars in the Disney age. This will be a perfect read for fans with open minds and students who are completing a degree in Film Studies. It's far from a rose-tinted look at the franchise and its relationship with the Mouse House, but there is a balance to the views presented.