The Thirteenth Guardian

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 Jun 2019

The Thirteenth Guardian is the first book in the young adult trilogy by the same name by author K.M. Lewis. The Thirteenth Guardian is like the DaVinci Code mashed with a re occurrence of the plagues of Egypt. It is a whirlwind adventure from start to finish. I really got swept up in this book, and though there was a bit much going on at times, it was a really well done novel, and it has left me excited to continue on in the trilogy. I really need to see what is going to happen next! Be warned though, this series is about the apocalypse. There are a series of natural disasters that threaten to destroy earth, so be forewarned about that going into the series.

In The Thirteenth Guardian, we meet a group of six strangers that find themselves inexplicably bound together. The first of the strangers that we meet is Avery, but the book is told from all of their perspectives, switching off between chapters with each of our 6 perspectives. I love reading a book told in multiple perspectives, and though six might seem like too much, K.M. Lewis made it work. It’s hard for me to pick a favorite character so far. I think I will be able to pick one after I read the second book, but so far I really like the whole cast of characters. There is a bit of mary Sue (and whatever the male equivalent is to a too perfect character) but I think as the books progress, we will really do a deep dive into what makes the characters who they are. Them being so perfect didn’t really bother me while I was reading, partly because there were so many other things going on in the plot for me to focus on.

This book had some many elements that I love. There is a quest style adventure, full of secrets, secret societies and history. This is a book right up my alley and I have to say K.M. Lewis really delivered. The writing is fantastic and the plot is really intricate and interesting. At times the story may feel overwhelming because of the sheer amount going on, but just stick with it, because it all comes together, and it leaves you wanting the next book immediately. If you are a fan of secret societies throughout history and you love the adventure style of the Robert Langdon books, then the Thirteenth Guardian trilogy is going to be right up your alley. I really enjoyed this book. I can’t wait for the next one in the trilogy!

3.5/5 stars
For a post-apocalyptic but set in a history many believe could happen (Biblical), I did enjoy this book. You can tell Lewis researched the impact of various major disasters and geographical fallout, which I really enjoyed.
I felt the pacing was overall slow and for reading, this felt like an elongated first act. I didn't feel like I was reading the first book in a series, but the start of the first book in a series.
However, I am anxious to know what happens next, so I will be eagerly waiting to snap up the next in the series. Overall, I did enjoy the title, but I really wanted more action and more of a reveal. I felt like the important climax was slightly too built up to just be explained away too easily.
The Thirteenth Guardian is an apocalyptic action-packed ride from the first page. Combining symbolism and themes from Egypt, The Holy Bible, Da Vinci Code, this novel effectively combines themes of faith, and doubt into a seamlessly written package.
The Thirteenth Guardian checks a lot of boxes for me. As an apocalyptic thriller, with secret societies, nefarious villains, ancient artifacts of power and old world mysticism, there is a lot to build on and draw the reader in. It was an interesting take on human origins and extinction level events, and the apocalyptic scenes were well written.

The book is centered around a group of young heroes who seek to avert an extinction event and solve a puzzle to how to avert disaster, and what their role is. The story follows these young men and women as they are called by an ancient secret organization who has been looking for them due to their particular DNA, unique in all the world. They have known they were different- what they didn't know is that if they don't save the world, no one else can. Of course, there is another ancient secret organization trying to kill them and prevent them from saving the world. Much of this was fairly interesting. The reason I didn't review it higher was due a couple factors. Although there is a little backstory on each of the heroes, I didn't find their stories interesting- they were all perfect to a fault- ultra intelligent, super athletes, with zero flaws or quirky aspects to them. For this reason, I didn't connect with any of them, and I found as the story went along that I didn't care if any of them saved the world or not, or if any of them survived or not. When the cataclysm came, I realized that I could've inserted generic characters and it would've felt the same, which is unfortunate.
I unfortunately didn't get very far into this one. The Thirteenth Guardian sounded like my kind of book which is why I initially requested it. I mean secret societies, conspiracies, and a dystopian? That's my jam, honestly. But I expected more DaVinci Code and got more apocalypse instead. I also felt detached from the characters.

I appreciate Netgalley and the publisher for letting people 'Read Now' and I hope others enjoy it! It's just not a book for me.
I thought that this book was an okay book. I read the summary and was intrigued by it and was excited to read the book. The characters were hard to relate to based on the feeling of them being to 2-dimensional. The point of views switching made it hard to follow and it took me a long time to get into the book. Despite that, I really liked the story and I thought that the writing was really good. The plot was well developed despite it feeling like it wasn’t as good as it could have been. Overall it was a good book and I hope to read more works by KM Lewis.
The Thirteenth Guardian is the debut novel for K M Lewis. It is a little bit different from other books I normally read. I thought it was a good read. The plot was intriguing with the premise of the world ending and using the Biblical plagues of Egypt. At times, I was confused as to what was going on, but once I caught on, I did not want to put it down. I liked the characters and wanted to find out what was going to happen to them next. I could not have predicted the following scenes. Some of those scenes took me on a thrilling ride. The story was action packed, suspenseful, mysterious, and adventurous.
I am giving The Thirteenth Guardian three and a half stars. I believe many readers would enjoy this book, especially those like to read apocalyptic tales. I recommend it. I would love to see what the author comes up with in their next release.
I received this book from the publisher. This review is 100% my own honest opinion.
DNF. The synopsis sounded great and I was excited to read this book, unfortunately the execution left a lot to be desired. It was repetitive, slow, and all tell no show.
Oh dear.  I am so disappointed in this book.

What could have been a fabulous story is, frankly, let down in its execution - and it's such a shame, because I really thought that the synopsis was intriguing and held a lot of promise.

The pacing is, despite the events, pretty slow.  The narrative jumps between several different characters which, rather than driving the story forwards, for me was just a little jarring every time the POV changed.

Added to that, this was, I felt, unnecessarily descriptive, but in a curiously unengaged manner.  I never felt connected to any of the characters - or the story.

I managed to get to 25% (Chapter 7) before calling it quits.  It's just not for me.

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.
Alas! I wish Seth Godin's 6/9 blog post on overwriting hadn't been quite so accurate. 'Thirteenth Guardian' exactly emphasizes Godin's point. The author tells the reader about the characters — their thoughts, their looks, their actions — but doesn’t let us really “know” them. No opportunity for inference or conjecture. I spent much of my time mentally editing the book, to the point I couldn’t truly enjoy it.

The topic and plot had so much potential. Disappointing that neither could follow through and deliver. Fans of Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code may enjoy this read touted as Da Vinci Code 2.0.

I received a copy of the book from the publisher. All opinions are my own.
I don't typically like post-apocalypse books. I find them sad and mostly unrelated to real life. I suppose if this were to happen, then who knows?

I found that the characters were overdone to the storyline. They were not just regular people looking into extraordinary things, of course, most weird books like this don't have just ordinary people looking into things, right?

If the story were more like Cormac McCarthy's The Road, or something like that, maybe I would have felt something for it. I, on the other hand, did not, I was a bit cynical, to be honest. People who are so super duper doing things that  are implausible make me think, how can it be ALL of them are together in this one story?

The writing, while technically correct and was not failing in its manner on paper, was dispassionate and cold, it felt like a technical piece, a news article,

Marry that with a strange storyline, a few really out of touch people with multiple POV, confusion, and you have a book that won’t touch the soul.
From the beginning of story telling, myths surrounding the end of the world are mesmerizing. K. M. Lewis has created a work that calls on such mythic themes as Ragnarok, the Mesopotamian Underworld. and the Apocalyptic Vision of St. John. In this first volume of a trilogy, Lewis presents an intriguing answer for the facts behind the myths. What if Atlantis did happen? Why do the Zuni speak of layers of worlds (kivas) built on top of each other? Was there really a great flood?

Lewis introduces us to a small group of individuals, less than 10 whose DNA holds a secret so earth changing it must be protected. More secret than the Templars, the Illuminati, or the Free Masons, this group, the Guardians, dedicates its life to preserving humanity. Florianne Kainzer leads this group. It is she who must rescue those who can save the world. Years of precise planning have gone towards this task. As the planetary civilizations suffer disasters piling on disasters, Florianne stands steadfast. Book One ends in a cataclysm of unimaginable magnitude. The series is a
must read.

Full disclosure: I received a copy of this novel from netgalley in exchange for an unbiased review. Thank you for the opportunity.

Recommended
This book is not at all what I thought it was going to be. It took about 98% of the story to get to what the little blurb was and even then the part about Eve felt like it was just thrown in because they realized "oh, we haven't talked about this yet."
The more I read, the more discouraged I got and wondering why I was reading this. There feels like there are so many plot holes in this story like the author knew where it was going but forgot some crucial details, i.e., the place they need to go is completely covered in either lava or water.
If you understand science, you will love this book.
Do not read if you are easily offended by careless cast aside of religions, no happy endings, dogs dying (oh yes, we get a dead dog at the beginning of the book in full detail), etc.

Warning: if you don't like books where almost everyone dies, then this book is most definitely not for you.
2.5 out of 5 stars

If you want the spoiler version of my review check out my blog at https://bookgirlreviewsbooks.blogspot.com
Thank you to NetGalley and the author for an advanced eBook copy of this title.

In the Thirteenth Guardian, we meet a multitude of characters and see many fates be sealed.  The world is changing and the chosen few are coming together to find a way to save the world from mass annihilation, along with the people put in their paths to ensure they are able to meet.

There are great pieces in this story, but they are few and far between.  The story takes much too long to progress and by the time we get to the "meat and potatoes" of the story it ends within 10 pages.  I think the author could have cut some of the drawn out and repetitive pieces to make room for more storyline.  We saw the same cataclysmic events happening across the globe over and over again instead of progressing with the characters.  The earth itself becomes a character in this story, but it takes too much page time and overshadows the main 6 that we follow to save it.  So much so that once the true plot is explained to set up for the next book, its too far fetched to buy.  It didn't sell me as much as it could have if the author had let us in to that piece of the story earlier.  The characters were also terribly hard for me to bond with as I spent so much time jumping from person to person that I actually had to stop and think about who was who before continuing in their point of view.  I kept asking myself, "So who is on this plane again?  How did they get to know each other?  What was the point of the conflicting forces?"

The author tries to create a villain on earth as well as around earth and I feel like she could have given half of the page time to the earthbound villains as she did the celestial one.  It would have made it seem tied to the story rather than just an afterthought.  I don't know if I'm actually invested enough to give the author another 300+ pages for a sequel.  Cool ending concept, but it left a bad taste in my mouth as I don't really care for the characters about to embark on this journey.
Six adults need to survive the biblical doomsday to save the earth.  Interesting interpretation and spin on religious apocalypse, pity about the time travel.
Ha! Where to start. This book makes SO MUCH SENSE! I am a closet fan of ancient aliens and the guy with the crazy hair. It’s almost like the Thirteenth Guardian explains literally - EVERYTHING. My head was spinning when I put the book down. I am so glad I found it on NetGalley....Purely by chance because I found the cover so appealing. Read a bunch of the feedback on here and the more I read people’s reactions the more I wanted to read the book. And it did not disappoint. The author did a super job of pulling everything together, keeping me on the edge of my seat and not wanting the book to end. And that ending!! Jeez! I don’t think I have read anything that felt like this book made me feel. I can see this becoming a huge movie. The scenes were so rich and the characters were so real in so many ways. I love Kaliya. I don’t know yet if I love or hate Remi or if he will do something crazy to ruin everything. I think this series will be amazing! A banging 5/5 for the sizzle and the drama!
I have to say that as an enjoyable story, I really liked The Thirteenth Guardian.  At times I had trouble putting this book down, and I wanted to read "just one more chapter."  The Biblical lore was interesting, the danger the world was in kept me reading, and the science (up until the very end) was believable.  I lived in Italy for three years, and I enjoyed reading about events in Rome and the Vatican as someone who has visited there multiple times.  As a story, I would give this book four stars.

However, I couldn't in good conscience give it four stars when the writing itself didn't match the caliber of the story.  It would be unfair to other books I give four stars to if I gave this book four stars as well.

As an example, sometimes the dialog felt a little wooden.  For example:

"Oh, no.  That is horrible news, Leo."
"Yes it is."

The characters would have felt more alive if some of them had used more contractions in their speech.

Another issue I had with the writing was the head-hopping.  The book was written in 3rd person point of view.  Sometimes it would jump into the mind of an insignificant character.  In one example, the book went from a main character's POV, to an insignificant character's POV for one paragraph (just to say how attractive she thought he was), and then back to the main character's POV.  After reading that, I thought that maybe that character would be significant later, but no.  The character died shortly afterwards.

The one other issue that I had with this book was the end.  It looked like the book was nicely wrapped-up, and the characters were going to go into their next chapter of their life, and then they start talking about doing this impossible task that would practically need a Deus ex Machina to get done.  I'm not sure if there's a sequel planned for this book or not, but if not, then that part of the book was somewhat unnecessary.

What the blurb really doesn't tell you is that this is a disaster book.  Like Revelation on steroids.  That might be something you're interested in knowing, because this book says that it's about a mystery (and it is) but the Earth dramatically transforms in this book as well.

Overall, I did enjoy reading this book and thought the theories inside were pretty cool.
This book is incredibly well-researched, thorough, and inventive. Told from the perspectives of various characters, the story follows the decline of the world as it is hit by cataclysm after cataclysm. This action-packed novel had me intrigued throughout, and I was constantly on the edge of my seat, wondering what would happen next.

Although the novel brought up images of a potentially groundbreaking science fiction movie, I struggled a bit with the prose itself. It is clear that the author really thought this out and the end product is an insanely intriguing experience. However, the writing itself is, at times, stilted. It struggles to put you fully into the story in the way you would want with this type of story. Though this is the only true negative, it is a significant one.

That said, I will definitely look out for a sequel so that I can get back on the thrill ride!
I thought I would thoroughly enjoy this book, the premise of the story is exactly of the sort that would appealing to me.  Unfortunately the plodding style meant that I ending up disliking everything about the story. The characters are bland and interchangeable.  I didn’t care about their fate or the impact the fate of others had on them. I kept waiting for an improvement and kept seeing glimpses which kept me reading to the end but as the improvements failed to materialise I doubt I will bother with the rest of the trilogy.
An interesting take on a world wide apocalypse scenario. I appreciated the mix of characters, and that they had all overcome struggles. I enjoyed the overall plot, but would have liked to have had more showing and less telling of the story line.