The Thirteenth Guardian

Book 1 of a Trilogy

Pub Date 11 Jun 2019 | Archive Date 07 Jun 2019
KM Lewis, Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA), Members' Titles

Talking about this book? Use #TheThirteenthGuardian #NetGalley. More hashtag tips!

Da Vinci’s secret pales. Michelangelo concealed an explosive truth in his famous Creation of Man fresco in the Sistine Chapel at the Vatican. Everything we have been taught about Eve is wrong—she didn’t cause the fall of man. Instead, Eve carried a far more devastating secret for millennia; one that will change the world forever.

As the modern-day world suffers the cataclysmic effects of the “Plagues of Egypt”, Avery Fitzgerald, a statuesque Astrophysics major at Stanford, discovers that she is mysteriously bound to five strangers by an extremely rare condition that foremost medical experts cannot explain. Thrust into extraordinary circumstances, they race against time to stay alive as they are pursued by an age-old adversary and the world around them collapses into annihilation.

Under sacred oath, The Guardians—a far more archaic and enigmatic secret society than the Freemasons, Templars, and the Priory—protect Avery as she embarks on a daring quest that only legends of old have been on before. Avery must come to terms with the shocking realization that the blood of an ancient queen flows through her veins and that the fate of the world now rests on her shoulders.

EDITION Paperback

A friend told me about this book. I was just going to read it and mosey right along....but the book touched me somewhere few have before. Oooh my God...! The book struck a chord for me that made everything in the story feel so strangely familiar. Nothing about the story felt far fetched at all for me. Am I nuts or what?!. The history and mythology that KM weaves into the book is mesmerizing.....and I am a life long history buff! The eye of the Sahara...what. It’s actually a thing. Crazy. So I work in the health/clinical field and I happened to immediately recognize one of the diagnosis codes used in the algorithm vitlayia wrote. It’s one I have seen more than a few times. So I looked the rest of the codes up and wow...they all line up to the story line perfectly. So well researched. So well written. This book is for sure one of my favorite. My favorite character was Kaliya. I can totally see her in my mind. She reminds me of one of my best friends. The last few pages broke my heart for some reason. Still trying to sort out how I feel after just finishing the book. And Avery - damn. I hate that I have to wait for the next book in the series. If you like Davinci code, the Thirteenth Guardian takes you on a similar journey but with a figure even more pivotal to religious lore. I am a total fan.

I just finished The Thirteenth Guardian and I am still blown away by the action packed, devastating, gripping, philosophical, hopeful and character driven story. It really is thought provoking and KM Lewis managed to take some biblical and mythological events and give them a natural spin all while spinning an original myth around it. I also think the author did well in bringing different point of views together towards the end and weaving a strong and compelling tale of science, belief and nature's force. I also got the feeling that this story would do great as a movie, so powerful written were many of the scenes. The only weak point of this book - for me - was the revealing of the original myth the author created as I think it was too often hinted at throughout the entire story only to be told somewhat rushed towards the end. But seeing this is to be a trilogy I hope there will be some more to this mythology and naturally the characters that are affected by it the most. I'd recommend this book to fans of The DaVinci Code, The Core and Armageddon. Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for letting me read this ARC.

*I received an eARC through NetGalley but all opinions are my own* I sat down last night to read a few chapters before I called it a night. Next thing I know, Its 3:00am and I've finished the entire book! It was AMAZING. I love how it incorporated the mythological aspects of religion with actual history without any discrepancies. Lewis' writing made everything sound so plausible, so eerily familiar that I kept looking out the window, as if all hell would break loose at any moment. The only qualms I have with the book and the reason I've given it 4 stars instead of 5, is the lack of diversity and how the characters shuffled between two settings: interesting and vapid. Avery laughing at her own jokes was pretty annoying at times, as was Remi's somewhat innate need to focus on brand names and labels. Also, it's 2019 folks; there's no reason not to include diversity in a book. It also muddles the story line, because if six people are all that's left of the human race, moving forward are all people going to be completely white, partly Asian or somewhat Cuban? Do I appreciate the innuendo? No, I do not. All in all, I immensely enjoyed the story line, and was really pleased with it's lack of plot holes. However, the characters could use some more work. I didn't notice that fact well into the second half of the book, around when the cataclysms started to die down. I'm hoping the characters are more developed in the second book because the history and current storyline have been thoroughly established in The Thirteenth Guardian.

*I received an eARC through NetGalley but all opinions are my own* oh man, oh man when I read the description of this I IMMEDIATELY sat down and read it. I am fascinated by the mythology of religion and there is just NOT enough biblical lore in books and the thirteenth guardian just made me realize how much I want that void filled. so since there aren’t any reviews for this I wanna try to be thorough with my review but I’m a delinquent so pardon my in-eloquentness. plot: we follow a cast of characters as the world faces the “plagues of egypt” which is just a whole lot of catastrophic events that basically kills everyone on earth. our main characters are six individuals who are to be protected at all cost as they have a certain genetic code that makes them super important. alright so first lemme tell you why this wasn’t a 5 star book because that’s the real tea that’s important here. FIRST, and most importantly is the diversity SUCKED ASS. for a book to be published in 2019 and only three of the ONE IN SIX BILLION PEOPLE to have this gene weren’t white is unacceptable. every character was white minus a half-japanese/half-white female and half-white/half-cuban twins. on top of that, every one lived in a western country and was FILTHY rich. I’m not sure where lewis was going with it but she made SO many references to how wealthy someone was, the designer clothes they wore, the tech thy had, etc etc. this spills into minor characters that just show up during the book as well; everyone was white, and everyone was rich. it was reallllyyyyyy annoying and just unrealistic. I cannot express how much more interesting it would have been to see the perspectives from someone in kenya, india, argentina, etc as they experience the apocalypse. very disappointing and shame on lewis for this. there’s really no excuse for this behavior in 2019, no ma’am. SECOND, the pacing wasn’t the best. I was hooked during the first 40% however, 40-65% really dragged on. it was all just travel travel travel and I felt like I was watching an apocalyptic fellowship of the ring (which now that I say that does sound pretty badass,, moving on). it was really slow but there was a ton of action so it could have been worse. also lewis REALLY wants you to read till the very end until she gives you ANY information which left me both frustrated and gripping at my chair. I just wish we got a litttttllleee but more backstory and character development mixed with some more foreshadowing to make the ending more satisfying. now onto why I enjoyed the book. SECRET SOCIETIES YALL !! S E C R E T S O C I E T I E S !!! this is a trope that IS NOT used enough and I am TIRED of it. and this book isn’t about just any secret society but A SECRET SOCIETY RAN BY WOMEN,, YOU HEARD ME RIGHT. and again,, biblical lore is BANGIN. so many references to exodus and egypt and so many ancient civilizations that had my history-loving heart BURST. also the prologue already got me with experts from the edda and hesiod BIG YEA BOI HOURS wrap up the thoughts: the lack of diversity sucks and is inexcusable. I even though about giving it just a 2.5-3 stars because of it. but the concept was so gripping that I have hopes for the rest of this series. this is more of an introduction to the story as the last 15-20% is really where all the revelations/relevant stuff happens but it was definitely worth it. I would recommend this to anyone who likes national treasure/secret societies/religious myths because it was a quick and fun read through and through.

The thirteenth guardian, well where to start, I went into this book knowing nothing and it blew me away, from the first chapter I was hooked, the history aspect,the different character points of view over different continents and the hidden history stories had me captivated for page 1 . I'm not a very religious person but even all the religious text and information that was incased in this book was great and surprisingly powerful. This book has now become one of my favorite books of all time, which in comparison to some of my all time favorites such as Jurassic Park, Harry Potter (all of them), Vicious, The KingMaker Chronicles and Stalking Jack the Ripper series just to name a few, this book has something unique and awe inspiring about it that will make reading it a vivid and sometimes terrifying experience that everyone needs to do.

SO *deep breath* - Started this book with the intention of reading a couple of chapters a day over a few weeks. O.M.G!!!! I couldn’t put it down! And now, I’m mad as heck that I’m done - I WANT MORE!!!!! I feel like I just got off an epic rollercoaster ride that had crazy, yet believable conspiracies, awesome insights into ancient civilizations and unconventional secret societies. Lewis did a number on me with the provocative ideas and explanations of some of the most baffling or otherwise hard to explain aspects of my personal religious belief system. I was raised a Christian and taught to believe in the Bible as the book of LITERAL Truth. Lewis connects the dots through science, other religious texts and the craziest modern day occurrences (that have been documented on youtube and in the news - Yes I checked!!), as explanations for some of the most controversial storylines in scripture. I found myself not just intrigued, but actually open to considering a wildly different, yet plausible perspective on what happened in Genesis, at the Exodus and what will happen the end of days! My absolute favorite aspect of the book was Lewis' surprising take on who actually pulls the power strings to run the world!!!! Ive always imagined there were ‘men in black hats' somewhere influencing the outcomes of critical aspects of humanity - who would have thought that WOMEN (YAAAAAAAAS POWERFUL WOMEN) are actually in play !... So so good! It was a page-turner from start to finish. And Lewis did an incredible job of building up to an ending, or should I say a beginning, that I did not see coming. Honestly, the book is paced and written like a movie with a surprising clincher that leaves you desperate for multiple sequels. I can't wait to learn more about the fate of the 6 - especially Avery and Kaliya. And to see the role that technology plays in the new world. Totally worth the headache I now have from a sleepless night of binge-reading. I would give it 6 stars if I could. #TheThirtheenGuardian #NetGalley

I have read some of the reviews and many are spot on. Thirteenth Guardian is pretty well researched - I did some looking. I looked up what the healthcare reviewer said about the medical codes. The story is so deep, I am questioning many of the stories in the book of genesis about our origins. Dan brown made me wonder about the divinity of Jesus. I came out ok though - faith intact and all. This book goes way back. So is this the real story about where it all began for us? Still processing. Thank you KM Lewis. This is so needed today. It’s an amazing story with powerful characters. The global setting and the cataclysms are so realistic, I am convinced there is more to what we were taught in Sunday school than meets the eye. This is a solid 5/5...with no reservations.