A Secret History of Christianity

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Aug 2019

I couldn't go on with this book. No matter how many times I tried to re read and restart it, I always ended not getting the information and feeling lost. The style just wasn't for me.
Refreshing. Five stars! If I could give it more stars I would. Mark has transformed Jesus, the Bible, religion and God from a turgid swamp of paranoia into a refreshing breeze which wakes us up, lifts the spirits and encourages us to live fully, creatively and happily, even in the face of the myriad follies of modern life. "A Secret History of Christianity" covers sociology, philosophy, history, psychology, science, philology, theology, religion and anthropology. If you have an interest in any one of these topics you will find much to please you in this volume. Mark interweaves all these disciplines beautifully into a coherent exposition of his thesis that one must strive to enter the felt or mystical core, common to all religions but "hard to see even when plainly spelt out".  With great quotes throughout and references to Art and Poetry, Mark builds his case. Improve the clarity of your own vision. Read it.
There is nothing "Christian" about this monograph. The author's anachronistic approach to jewish/christian texts taken out of context is simply embarrassing and anyone looking at the actual material can see right through it. Given this, it is hard to take the author as authoritative in any sense in regards to other topics.