A Mindful Year

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 Sep 2019

A Mindful Year; 365 Ways to Find Connection and the Sacred in Everyday Life written by Dr Aria Campbell-Danesh and Dr Seth J Gillihan is an inspiring book that you can read each day of the year for a short, proactive lesson to learn and think about. I love these types of books where you can start your day with a short read and have a different mindset to explore. This book is one of the best examples that I have seen in years to inspire you every day of the year.

This book was written by the 2 authors sharing a day at a time of mindful thoughts and exercises that meld together as a connected flow. I feel that I got the most out of this book when I started in the beginning and read just one entry a day. However, these pages are also able to stand on their own, so if your style is more free-flowing and you like to skip around, you will also find great reward in this book.

Themes in A Mindful Year

There are a handful of themes that you will see throughout the book; compassion, authenticity, love and simplicity. Each day has a unique thought and activity, but know that these join together to connect you with what is important in everyday life.

The Style of A Mindful Year

Each days entry starts with a quote to introduce the lesson of the day. For example, "Mindfulness gives you time. Time gives you choices. Choices, skillfully made, lead to freedom. You don't have to be swept away by your feeling. You can respond with wisdom and kindness rather than habit and reactivity. - Henepola Gunaratana". Next you will have a lesson written by one of the authors, and these are easy to understand and filled with great examples to make them real and relateable. Finally you are given an Invitation to put the days thoughts into the context of your own life. On January 2, you are invited to "Notice today when your mind is running ahead of where you actually are. whatever today brings, remember that you can abide in the present - starting right now."

Each day involves these 3 components and you can spend your desired amount of time doing each days events. Each entry takes under 5 minutes to read, so I have included that time in my morning routine to work my way into a mindful year. I highly recommend A Mindful Year; 365 Ways to Find Connection and the Sacred in Everyday Life for anyone that is looking to stretch and gain more connection in their everyday lives. I think this will also make a great gift for someone that you care about, they will remember you each day of the year as they take their own journey as well.
I like devotional books. I think an individual may be more open to developing their own mindfulness practice with an introduction to small readings with a schedule. Thank you for allowing me to review an advanced copy.
A Mindful Year by Dr. Aria Campbell-Danesh and Dr. Seth J. Gillihan is a self-help book….

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Blackstone Publishing, and of course the authors, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis and Opinions:

This book is meant to encourage the reader to look into themselves and connect to the important aspects of their life.  Basically, the authors wrote to each other every day for a year, sometimes about what was going on in their life, sometimes just philosophical ideas or thoughts.

It is meant to be read as a daily inspirational, and I actually found it to be just that.  Each days reading usually started with a quote from a famous personality (for example Martin Luther King Jr. or Eleanor Roosevelt).  Then the authors letter of the day (they alternated days), and then a follow-up "invitation", for you to give some thought to what was just written.

Needless to say I am trying to stick to the schedule, and some days I can't relate to what I read, and others I can.  Overall,  this is probably the best daily inspirational I have found.   The only suggestion I have is to make sure you take some quiet time to read and reflect.  It can't be rushed.

Definitely recommend this book for those who occasionally need some thought-provoking reflections.
This is a book to read a little bit of every day and that's an amazing format. I liked the letters because it makes you feel like you are part of this friendship. The best part is that it makes mindfulness much more affordable, instead of overloading you with hundreds of excercises and more advice than you can process this book helps you take it slow, at your own pace.
This is a beautiful book. I love the daily prompts that remind me to slow down and connect. I highly recommend it.
I thought this book was great! I feel very relaxed after putting to practice what I read. I feel this book is great for EVERYONE! Lets face it, in todays world we could all get some use out of relaxing.

Thank you NetGalley and Blackstone Publishing for giving me this advanced readers copy in return for my honest review.
I liked the idea of this and really wanted to like it, but I found it incredibly dull and hard to read. It's 365 short, rambling essays with a little takeaway of something you're supposed to think about that day. For example, January 20 opens with a quote about uncertainty and then a little one page sermon on embracing uncertainty. It ends with the day's "invitation" (your job for that day) -- "If you find yourself worrying about an uncertain outcome today, remember: life is uncertain. Open to the continual unfolding of life as it is revealed moment by moment."

There are no photos, illustrations, colors. Every day is just this sort of rambling intro and then something you're supposed to accept or think about. I'm afraid it was a miss for me.

My rating system:

1 = hated it
2 = it was okay
3 = liked it
4 = really liked it
5 = love it, plan to purchase, and/or would buy it again if it was lost

I read a temporary digital ARC of the book for the purpose of review.
I love how easy this book is to read and to incorporate into every day life and activities. I appreciate how it isn’t too heavy or dense and really makes me think about intentional and mindful living and ways that I can make my life better. If you want something that is clear and easy to read and put into practice, this book is a good one!
This book is one to pick up every day right before you start your day, so you can implement the "invitation" that the authors give. Every day of the year has a different entry with a quote and an invitation to follow up. Perhaps it's because I've read multiple entries a time, but the subject of the entries look too similar at times or are recurring in further months. That might make the book repetitive and perhaps there could be more diverse content covered in this book.

The authors both write entries in this book, which gives two views on being mindful. What bothers me is that the two different authors are getting intertwined, and that at times I don't understand anymore who is who. They talk a lot about personal experiences, which makes me feel more like I'm reading their diary instead of experiencing mindfulness. Although I don't mind personal experiences to teach being mindful, after multiple wedding receptions I didn't need any more of those.

When you want to have a book that will guide you day-to-day, this book might be for you. A couple of minutes a day teaches a new lesson and invites you to put the lesson into practice.
This book was such a refreshing read, and I was genuinely surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I read a lot of books like this, and you do hear the same old things recycled. This one was full of fresh insights, and encouragement to help the reader start a new routine in beginning each day with reflection and a few quiet moments.

The book uses both meditative techniques and cognitive behavioural exercises to suggest ways of alleviating stress and anxiety, and this is a book I will return to again and again. In the interests of providing a review, I did read the book in one go even though it's intended to be read a day at a time as there are 365 'sections', so I would like to reread this starting in January as the authors intended, ie a page or so every day.

NOTE: I was provided with a free ARC copy of this book by NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review.
I’m not done with this book as it is a book you use everyday of the year. It reads like a devotional. Each day of the year had something to consider in your life to help you reflect on various actions or occasions.  I like the “things to consider” for each day. This section helps to really reflect!
"A Mindful Year" had many tidbits of wisdom that I want to implement into my daily life. I definitely think this book has helped me reflect on my life and fueled my desire to become more mindful and aware of everything. However, I just feel like the market is saturated with book about mindfulness and have not read enough to know if this book provides anything new or unique that all the other books.
This was a difficult book to review as the intent is to read one daily reading at a time for 365 days.  Having said that, I have read enough of the book to know that the authors have provided the readers with words that are thought-provoking and meaningful.  Written as communication between the two authors who are friends living on separate continents, I found the book to be inspirational and successful in getting the reader to focus on the moment at hand - a prelude to meditation perhaps.

My intent is to continue reading the daily readings as they are intended .  I' would recommend this book to anyone who needs help to shut out the busy nature of today's world.

Thank you to Netgalley and Blackstone Publishing for the ARC of this book in exchange for the honest review which I have provided here.
A really useful book, recommended to be read daily or coming back for the advice and challenges brought by the authors. I could relate with it.
This was a difficult book to review. Most books are read over a few days depending on the length of the book, how interesting it is, how much free time one has available. This book, however, is meant to be read over a year, reading a page or so a day.  After reading the page, one should pause and reflect on the comments as part of your mindful practice.

I did try and follow this for a few days, but it felt odd for a couple of reasons,  One, it’s June, and the book starts in January, so I was starting either in the middle of the book or in a very different season.  The other is that this is one of the few books that I think would work best as a physical copy instead of an e-book as for  me, part of being mindful is disconnecting from digital devices.

Still, I liked the idea and am planning on getting a physical copy of this book.
This book provides a simple, quick, and easy way to be mindful every day. With daily thoughts and activities (referred to as "invitations") there is something every day of the year. The readings are short and very easy to read first thing in the morning or the night before. I have found this book a great addition to my morning routine.
This book sounds wonderful, and I was really looking forward to working with it, but I did not have a chance to download it. I'm sorry.
A Mindful Year is a good book for a quick practice of Mindfulness everyday. If you think you are too busy to practice Mindfulness this is a quick way to do it by reading lot everyday.
This book is perfect for someone who needs a small daily dose of mindfulness. It does not take a lot of start practising mindfulness and the daily inspiration will stay with you for the rest of the day as you continue with your daily life.
Thank you NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This is a daily devotional-type book, which is rather difficult to read through, but I did dip in throughout.  I didn't find the entries very inspirational or helpful.  Possibly it requires a different frame of mind.