Cover Image: Batman: Nightwalker (The Graphic Novel)

Batman: Nightwalker (The Graphic Novel)

This was a nice edition to the Batman story and I am extremely excited to read the novel version of this. Graphic novels tend to not be my favorite medium, but I'm definitely glad I picked this one up!
Batman: Nightwalker is a graphic novel adaptation of Marie Lu's novel.  This graphic novel was adapted by Stuart Moore, who has previously worked on Avengers, Deadpool, and X-Men content.  The illustrations were done by Chris Wildgoose and Cam Smith.  This book follows a young Bruce Wayne, fresh out of high school.  After getting involved in a high-speed car chase with a ruthless gang of criminals known as the Nightwalkers, Bruce is sentenced to community service in Arkham Asylum. While at Arkham, Bruce meets Madeline, one of the Nightwalkers and a ruthless killer.  It's up to Bruce to determine if Madeline is who she says or if she's plotting to take down Gothic City's elite.

Going into this graphic novel, I knew very little about Batman.  I have seen some Batman movies but haven't read any comics.  I don't feel like I'm a huge Batman fangirl, but I've been really interested in the DC Icon series.  I was particularly interested in this adaptation because I'm a huge fan of Marie Lu, who wrote the Young Adult novel this graphic novel was adapted from.

Despite not being a huge fan of Batman and not having a lot of prior knowledge going into the book, the story was easy to follow.  I enjoyed getting to see Bruce with his friends, especially Harvey Dent who later becomes the iconic Two-Face in the Batman universe.  It was also great to see Bruce with more relatable teenager problems, like gossip and fighting with friends over minor problems. This makes Bruce and his friends more real and relatable for readers.

The illustrations in this book were well done and easy to follow.  I enjoyed the muted color palette and how it tied into Batman's traditional colors (black, yellow, shades of blue). The images conveyed action and emotion equally well and they made for a great reading experience.

Overall, this book was an good look at a young Bruce Wayne before he's taken on the Batman role.  The illustrations and characterization was well done and I think this will be an enjoyable read for middle and high school students who are interested in Batman and superheros in general.  I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars.
I really liked this graphic novel. It was super awesome. The drawings were super cool and awesome. I loved all the characters and action.
What was already a great YA novel is made into an equally great graphic novel, which appeals to a wider crowd than even the novel did to begin with. Kids are drawn to graphic novels nowadays and this hits all the marks of a great. Lots of story to drive the plot, good pacing, great art style, overall just a good book to recommend.
“ Batman: Nightwalker” by Marie Lu is the second installment of the DC Icons series. I am a lover of all things superhero ( although I admit, I’m more of a Marvel girl). I am also a lover of all things Marie Lu, so this was definitely something that I had to check out! Most of us  know the story of Bruce Wayne/ Batman. This comic features a younger Bruce and I am 100% here for it!  This was a really fun read. It was a bit short but overall, it was engaging and kept my interest the entire time while reading. Overall, this was a fun, quick read.
Marie Lu is such a diverse writing talent. I enjoy most things she writes and so do my students. I will be sure to pass along the recommendation.
I can't imagine any fictional version of Gotham where someone would be sent to Arkham Asylum for community service. It just doesn't make any sense. That's one of many of the problems with the plot and characters within this book. Nighwalker Bruce is boring. His love interest, Madeline, is practically a cardboard cutout. Batman has always had a dark, edgy, and even tragic tone and this book was just plain bland.
Another outstanding DC graphic novel geared toward the young adult reader! Giving the storytelling to an author like Marie Lu adds a level of depth to the characters that really pops. Highly recommended for batman fans of all ages.
I know Bruce Wayne is supposed to be a little cocky and reckless being the playboy bachelor that he is, but I found this young adult Bruce Wayne to be a little too over the top. It was nice to see him in a younger context, with Harvey Dent as well, but everything seemed to wrap up too conveniently for me.
This was such a beautiful adaptation f a graphic novel. Batman: Nightwalker was such a cool insight into Bruce Wayne's life as a teenager, dealing with adulthood after his parent's untimely demise. The artwork was so beautifully done especially because it was all done in the same black, blue, and yellow color scheme. I was worried it would be boring or repetitive but the colors and illustrations were done in a way that kept me intrigued. I thought Madeline and Bruce's story was so raw and real and perfect for a superhero graphic novel. My only criticism is that Bruce is not quite Batman yet so I wish the term "Batman" was kept out of the title. Other than that, I really enjoyed this tale. (less)
Batman: Nightwalker by Marie Lu is a graphic novel with great artwork and a nice adaption of Marie Lu's novel of the same name.  I liked Bruce Wayne's backstory and especially liked Madeline's character.  Well done.
I thought this one was okay, I didn’t enjoy the story as much as I had wished. I think it’s because I really prefer the originals other than these middle grade ones. I really loved the graphics though and I know that someone a lot younger than me would really enjoy it.
Lately, I have been reading a lot of DC comics and loving it! I love reading graphic novels and comics and use a lot of my Hoopla loans to check out graphic novels and comics throughout the month. I usually read these in between novels or just when I want something short that I can zip through in a few hours tops. I read Batgirl last month and loved it! I also read the new Oracle comic that is coming out (later this month I believe, I will have a post up soon about that as well) and loved that one too! So naturally, I wanted to read something else in this universe and I saw this one which also happens to be written by one of my favorite authors (Marie Lu) and knew I needed to read it!

SPOILERS AHEAD

Bruce is turning 18! He is also inheriting his family fortune and graduating high school very soon. After leaving his big birthday party Bruce makes a choice when he stumbles upon an active crime scene. He decides to follow the nightwalker who is getting away from the police and use his car to flip theirs! After this risky move, Bruce faces punishment from the law and is forced to do community service through the summer at Arkham. There he will be mopping floors and doing other janitorial tasks, that is until he meets Madeline. Madeline works for the nightwalkers and Bruce is determined to crack her and learn more about this group. However, Bruce ends up learning that he is going to be a nightwalker target in the process! Can Bruce stop the nightwalkers and help save the city? What about his blooming relationship with Madeline?

I loved this comic so much! The illustrators and Marie Lu did such a great job with this story. I do not know a ton about the DC universe but I am loving learning through these comics! I also feel like it is an awesome bonus to get to read these tales when they are by some of my favorite authors. I am giving this five stars on Goodreads and definitely look forward to more DC comic titles being reviewed here in the future!

***Thank you so much to the publisher for providing an E-ARC on Netgalley!
Thank you to Netgalley and publisher for release of this review copy!

I have not read any of the others in the DC world but I thought I would give this a shot. Batman has never been my favorite but this was still so cute and I loved the art work. It was very easy to follow and I am so glad I picked this up and read it. It was a very fast read. I highly recommend if you are a DC lover like myself.
This was so much better than I was expecting! The cover threw me, so don't let it throw you -- the art inside is actually lovely. The plot is really well suited to a graphic novel; the action keeps clicking along and I was honestly intrigued by the semi-villainous love interest. I loved Bruce's relationship with Alfred and the importance of his friendships with Dianne and Harvey. A great take on a teenage Bruce Wayne becoming a proto-Batman.
I really enjoyed this graphic novel. I loved the direction it took with a young Bruce Wayne. The art work is done really well and does a great job of enhancing the story.
In this entertaining adaptation of the Marie Lu novel, a young Bruce Wayne - literally traveling home on the evening of his eighteenth birthday - has a brush with the newest crime syndicate to terrorize Gotham City: the Nightwalkers, a gang of avenging vigilantes who are murdering some of Gotham's richest citizens after relieving them of their fortunes. Bruce's rash decision to try and stop a particularly daring Nightwalkers crime lands him in trouble with the law, and from there to a stint of community service if he's to avoid trouble with the cops. To make an example of the newly-minted millionaire head of Wayne Enterprises, the cops make Bruce serve his sentence at none other than Arkham Asylum, where Bruce finds himself drawn to Nightwalker member Madeleine Wallace - a heartless murderer with her own plans for Bruce Wayne, even as he tries to use her to break up the Nightwalkers gang for good, though it becomes clear pretty quickly that it's up in the air who is using who. Though a bit slow in spots (while still building up to a more-than-satisfying climax), I genuinely liked the story here; another bit of character background for Bruce Wayne, pre-Batman, that develops and spotlights the personality that would become the Dark Knight. Madeleine Wallace got on my nerves from time to time, yet I think she was supposed to; for most of the graphic novel she seems always two steps ahead of both Bruce and the cops, which is quite vexing for Wayne himself. Artist Chris Wildgoose's depiction of Gotham and young Wayne are spot-on and dark in tone, though I would have liked a bit more variety of color in the book; that said, having read this first I am more than anxious to dive into Marie Lu's novel now, while the graphic novel itself is definitely a worthy addition to the story of Bruce Wayne's road to becoming Gotham's only hope of redemption.  4/5 stars

Note: I received a free ARC of this title from NetGalley and the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.
If I’m being entirely honest I was not a huge fan of this version of The Bat. It felt like they took Bruce Wayne and made him the epitome of angsts teen, he felt like one big YA trope. I love Batman and I consider myself a fan, having read several comic and watching the movies, but this really did not do it for me. I found this version of Batman so uninteresting that I couldn’t finish it.
I'm enjoying these Young Adult graphic novel takes on DC heroes. This graphic novel is an adaptation of Marie Lu's Batman YA novel. I haven't read that book so this was my first introduction to this story. Bruce Wayne is the world's youngest billionaire at age 18. An anarchist group known as the Nightwalkers are targeting Gotham's rich. Bruce is assigned community service at Akrham Asylum.

I really enjoyed seeing Bruce Wayne as a modern teen. This book brings up interetsing topics of wealth responsibility and inequality in a capitalist society. Also how tragedy affects people differently. I give this graphic novel a 4/5.
The graphic part of this book is ok, the story not so much. It really shouldn't be called "Batman" when Bruce isn't even close to becoming him yet. Basically the same story as the original novel, so I felt like this graphic adaptation wasn't really needed.

It is a fun read for reluctant teens not familiar with Batman's story.