The Girl Before You

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Aug 2019

Thank you to Netgalley for this advanced reader's copy in return for my honest review. Enjoyed this book. Love the writing angle whereby the story was told from different perspectives. Will definitely watch out for this author.
This book is told from multiple perspectives and from multiple timelines. If you can keep these aspects straight in your head you are in for a solid story about friendships and secrets. Thankyou to the publisher and netgalley for the ARC.
I wasn't as into this book as I was expecting. I wasn't as into the characters as I was expecting. The storyline just didn't capture me. If you are into thrillers definitely check it out, it may engage you.
The Girl Before You moves back and forth through time and perspective.  Between 1999-2001 and the present and between the stories of Naomi, Kat, and Alice. All of them have a connection to Ruth and all want to know what happened to her.

The story was good. It was one of those tales that hint more and more at a single thing until finally revealing it.  The story of what happened to Ruth, and for that matter Kat, Naomi, and Alice are fairly familiar to women, especially in college.  Nothing ground breaking. Just an interesting little story.
While I wanted to love this book, I just couldn't find myself getting drawn in. The plot was interesting, but the characters were not, to the point that they were often frustrating in ways they acted against their own best interest or happiness. I loved the set up-switching between perspectives and timelines-but the pace of the book was so slow that it was hard to finish. Good for a debut novel, but not one I would recommend personally when there are so many better paced novels with characters you'll actually care about or at least like.

Thank you to Net Galley and Harper Collins for an ARC of this book.
I wanted to like this book and gave it my best, but l just couldn’t get into the story. It was a slow-pace and unfortunately just couldn’t get “hooked” on it.
Unfortunately, I was left feeling underwhelmed by this story.  The characters that we switched between weren't interesting and only two I felt really had any investment to learning about what happened Ruth.  From the start I knew that George was bad news, he seemed controlling and chauvinistic.  There seemed to be something off about the other males in the story.

I was surprised to find this had multiple perspectives.  The synopsis tells me no such thing.   I was expecting the story to wrap around Alice finding out what horrible things her husband did, but was then introduced to two other women linked to Ruth.

The twist ending was, well boring.  I was underwhelmed. The open ending left me thinking "ok so what was the point?".  Because of the ambitious ending, it make me feel like there was no point to the story as a whole.  Nothing felt resolved and characters made decisions before the big reveal that, you would have though, would be the reasoning behind some of their decision - and I'd not, then why are they involved?

Overall, I had high Hope's for this and it let me down.
*thank you to Netgalley, Nicola Rayner and HarperCollins Publishers Australia for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review*

3 stars.

I was eager to start this as I read that it's along similar lines to Girl on the Train and yes it was, especially at the beginning. But what I discovered with this was the story was a bit too slow for me. It was still good but I'd rather have had it been more fast paced as I found my attention drifted quite a few times. It read more like a drama/woman's fiction than the psychological thriller that I'd been hoping for.
I received a copy of this in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley.

I honestly had high hopes for this book, but there was jsut something.. missing i guess.     It wasn't poorly written, but it didn't hold my interest as long as I had hoped.    I finished the book, but I wish it wasn't as slow.
This was slow to start but eventually I got into it enough to keep reading. The ending was a bit over the top - forced and unrealistic. This one was just okay in my opinion.
This was such an amazing read that I couldn’t put it down. It went everywhere with me. To the doctors office, the dentist, the eye doctor. IT WENT ABSOLUTELY EVERYWHERE. I was so sad when it ended that I immediately went and bought more books from this author!
I received a free copy of The Girl Before You from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Unfortunately I couldn't finish this book.
It was too slow for me with too many characters and unnecessary details.

The plot was good and the story could have been something, but the writing just wasn't what I expected it to be.
DNF at 36% the best thing I can say about The Girl Before You is that it has a nice cover. The story itself did nothing for me and I thought it was not very well written.
With the blurb if you enjoyed the Lovely Wife you will enjoy this was right on the money. This suspenseful book follows Alice who seems to always be troubled by her charismatic husbands past lovers. But does she have reason to or is she just overreacting? Find out in this fast paced book that’s a great read for a rainy day
I had a hard time following this book as there were a lot of characters. Not as a domestic thriller as I was hoping that it was going to be .D
Thank you Netgalley, the author and it’s publisher for the arc in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own and are completely unbiased.

I’m sorry to say this was not one of my favourite reads, I actually had a hard time getting into it and had to take many breaks. I won’t say it wasn’t good, as everyone has their own preference.. I found it to be a bit bland and overdone.
Sorry but I have to give it a 3.
"If you liked My Lovely Wife, you’ll love this."

Can we stop with these comparisons? These books are nothing alike. Not at all.

Alice is married to George who is a politician turned television personality. Charming and confident he seems to always attract the attention of women. He was known as quite the ladies man during his university days but he doesn't really like to discuss his past with his wife which leads her to believe that he's keeping secrets. Now that Alice finds herself pregnant she begins to wonder if the man she married is the man she thinks he is. She has always wondered about a young woman, Ruth, that went missing in their university days together. Now she's obsessed with finding out if her husband had a role in Ruth's disappearance.

We have multiple points of view that go back and forth in time that slowly reveal what happened on that terrible night.

One thing I find that I'm growing tired of are woman that can't seem to survive without a man. Even while at university Alice secretly wondered about George and his, let's say, extra-curricular activities and yet she went on to marry him and have his child. Why, oh, why would you do this?

Another character, Kat, who was Ruth's best friend back in the day is still hung up on her lost love from then. Like, really? Fifteen years later and you still haven't gotten over him?

This book is so hard for me to rate. On the one hand I did find the mystery of Ruth's disappearance strangely compelling and I wanted to know the who and the why. Yet at the same time the slow pace made this one easy to put down even though I wanted answers.

It's certainly a relevant topic with the #METOO movement in full stride and the writing was well done. Not bad for a debut novel. 3.5 stars!

Thank you to NetGalley and  HarperCollins Aurstralia for providing me with a digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Aside from the number of characters and stories within stories, there was a lot of time hoping with no clear reason jumping around in time was necessary.

The ending was disappointing; no one’s story was ever really finished. The reader does not really find out if Ruth is alive or not – the outcome is implied. The reader does not find out what happened with Alice and her sketchy ass husband either which I guess is the main point of the book.

If this is how all psychological thrillers are supposed to go – then I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys such books. But in good conscience, I can not recommend this book to anyone.
This book was incredibly creepy, but I loved every minute of it. I believe anyone who enjoys thrillers will enjoy this book. The style of writing reminds me of Ruth Ware, the author of The Women in Cabin 10. I don't want to give away the plot or any key details, so I'll refrain from summarizing the book. However, this book is worth the read, it's not predictable, and it will leave you wanting to read a sequel. Cannot wait to read more from Nicola Rayner!
Ohhh how I love a good thriller filled with some juicy plots and a fresh writing style. Nicole Rayner succeeded in giving me all this in her The Girl Before You. The change of narrators intrigued me and sat well with me. I would recommend this to anyone in the mood for a thriller.