Cover Image: This Earl of Mine

This Earl of Mine

DNF

Mildly entertaining but decidedly bad. The premise makes no sense, which would be fine if the book had a sense of humor but it doesn't. Seriously, her decision to marry this guy makes no sense!
I'm disappointed in myself, that I haven't read this book sooner, because I enjoyed it immensely. This book was like a fresh breath of air in historical romance genre, because of how independent the main character was. I loved how she demandend respect and wasn't affraid to voice her opinion. She knew what she want and wasn't affraid to seak it.
Her love interest, even though, very manly, like all men in historical romances wasn't overprotective and almost dismissive, but was interested in her opninion and respected it.
Maybe it was a little bit too instalovy, but it didn't impact my enjoyment very much.
Definitely reccomend.
I liked this author's writing style and would read this author again without hesitation. I'm interested in what else she has up her sleeve. Though this wasn't my favorite book, the plot being a little hard to believe, I did adore the characters. And the author, as I said, has an easy writing style which I love. I do believe many would love this book.
Oh my goodness did I enjoy this book! Kate Bateman is a new author to me, but this book has caught my attention in a great way! This Earl of mine follows Georgie and Ben on a thoroughly plotted adventure that leads to laughs and a steamy love match. Great book and I highly recommend it.
I started reading Kate Bateman's books when I first discovered them on NetGalley. She has quickly earned my trust as an author of deliciously quirky and romantic historical romance with intelligent and heart breaking characters. In the instance of This Earl of Mine, Kate has written her two main characters with very distinct characteristics and personalities.

Georgiana Caversteed, an heiress that is about to come into her own fortune, is in desparate need to find a husband other than her sneaky cousin. With hopes of finding a marriage of convenience in name only, she can inherit and keep her money without anyone the wiser. She meets our hero, Benedict Wylde, the second son of a Duke (and therefore, no real title), in prison and while he wasn't her first choice, he became her only choice. And thus, the intricate tale of Georgie and Ben begins.

This Earl of Mine is one of the titles in the Bow Street Bachelor series. I've read the other one two via Netgalley: To Catch an Earl and The Princess and the Rogue and all are equally dashing and romantic. This Earl of Mine is like the others - a toss of several various plots between the main characters and some side characters. There are a lot going on in this book and you are left in sort of a whirlwind. The ending was incredibly just and I was very happy for both Georgie and Ben.

You will read a bit more about the Bow Street Runners, which were prolific private police back in days in England. Benedict is a Bow Street Runner and quite a famous one too. While he is trying to beguile the young heiress and deter her every way possible to keep her out of danger and out of his heart, Georgie however, is determined to help her husband. Georgie is intelligent, bright, and full of heart.

There's a bit of weaving back and forth in this story, but I was engaged from beginning to end. The mysteries surrounding the criminals were enjoyable to read and Ben did a great job as a private police. It was, however, heartbreaking at times when neither main characters wanted to realize their feelings for one another. Each thinks the other's love was unrequited. But that was what made their stories so interesting!

I recommend This Earl of Mine as well as all the other Bow Street Bachelor's series by Kate Bateman. Thank you for the ARC of this title!
Kate Bateman has quickly risen to the top of my favorite historical authors' list.

The writing is great as is her storytelling. I've read two of the Bow Street Bachelor's books thus far and find them very entertaining. Reading about strong women during the time period of the Bow Street Bachelors is so much fun.

The story takes place in London, 1816. Twenty-four-year-old Georgiana (Georgie) Caversteed has a plan. A grand plan to keep her fortune in her control, continue running the ship empire her father left her, and avoid marrying her gold digging cousin, Josiah, at all cost.

One might agree that marrying a stranger headed for the gallows the following day was a clever plan. Telling those who needed to know she secretly married a midshipman on one of her frigates, a mere sailor, was also a clever plan. Surely the prisoner's demise would leave her perfectly and secretly safe in widowhood.

Not so fast. When things do not go as planned that's when all the fun and intrigue of Georgie and Benedict Wylde's escapades begin.
I received with thanks an ARC copy of This Earl of Mine from St Martin’s Press and Netgalley.

This is my review of This Earl of Mine by Kate Bateman. This was published on 29th October 2019
I will start by saying I love historical romances and this one definitely fits what I am looking for. This is my first book by this author and will not be the last. I enjoyed the authors writing style. I will be definitely will be continuing on with the series.

Would recommend if you love a Historical Romance
4.5 Stars!

This Earl of Mine features an amazing romance between an unlikely pairing that I enjoyed immensely.

Shipping heiress Georgiana Caversteed is used to men being interested in her money, but her cousin is the worst of them. To avoid being forced into marriage, Georgie comes up with a plan to marry a condemned criminal scheduled for execution so she can become a widow and have more control over her life. But when the man she marries turns out to be working undercover for Bow Street, Georgie gets more than she bargained for when the man shows up very much alive. Soon Georgie finds herself being courted by her charming husband who hopes to convince Georgie to turn their union into a real marriage.

Georgie was a wonderful character and I loved her from the start. She’s incredibly intelligent and knows what she wants out of life. Her knowledge about the shipping industry was impressive and I enjoyed the scenes where she got to talk about it as it’s clear she loves what she does. Benedict was quite charming and I liked that he wasn’t the usual type of hero, someone rich and titled. As a second son, Benedict has had to make his own way in life and now most of the money he makes goes to his brother to help dig the estate out of the hole their father created. The ever present need for money is what leads Benedict to begin working undercover for Bow Street and I found his work to be quite interesting.

Georgie and Benedict’s romance gets off to a bit of a slower start as despite marrying at their first meeting, neither of them expected to remain married to the other. Initially their interactions are spent trying to find a way out of their situation only for Benedict to become smitten with Georgie and him deciding to try and persuade her to stay married. The pair’s chemistry is fantastic and the banter between them was amazing. I loved the buildup in their relationship and when it finally progresses, it’s very well done. In addition to navigating their relationship, Benedict’s work for Bow Street has him searching for a submarine, something right up Georgie’s alley leading to some great scenes of the pair working together.

Overall This Earl of Mine was a fantastic read and I’m looking forward to reading the next book in the series, To Catch an Earl, soon.
loved the chemistry between Georgie and Benedict. Benedict was just too much and all Georgie wanted was to be left alone. Now the fun begins for these too. A quick easy and fun read.
An enjoyable regency romp set during the early days of the Bow Street Runners.  Benedict, a second son, has returned from the war against Napoleon and opened a gambling hell with his two closest friends.  Cultivating his reputation as a rogue gives him the perfect entree to be an undercover spy for the Runners, looking to uncover a plot to aid Napoleon escape from St. Helena.  Georgie, soon to come in to her inheritance, manufacturers a marriage of convenience to a soon-to-be-transported criminal in Newgate prison as a way to avoid her cousin’s unwanted advances.  Turns out Benedict is the criminal (undercover), and the marriage is real.  This was a fun, fast-moving book, with multiple storylines to keep things interesting and exciting.  I liked both of these characters; they were well-developed, and felt real.  The romance was well paced to it’s HEA, with enough back and forth to keep it interesting, but not get tedious.  The multiple storylines were nicely developed, and wove in and out of each other smoothly.  I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley.  This is my freely given, honest review.
This is the first book in Bateman's Bow Street Bachelors series and requires some suspension of disbelief. The heroine learned about her family's shipping business from her father and is now in charge of it. She is in a quandary: Her cousin wants to trap her in marriage to wrest control of the business, but in order to escape him if she marries someone else, she will still lose her business. So she embarks on a plot to marry a convicted felon who is in line to get his neck stretched real soon. As his widow, she will be independent. (Why she assumes that her unscrupulous cousin won't force her again to marry is left unexplored.) Unfortunately for our heroine, her felon dies before she can marry him. So she sets her sights on a sailor due for transportation to ends of the earth. This is an even better solution, because now her cousin cannot force her to marry him, and with this husband out of the way, the business is safe in her hands. (Like I said, the plot is a tad implausible.)

The implausibility is further stretched by the hero's back story. He is a of the aristocratic class who is an agent of the government who is working on exposing a group of smugglers who want to liberate Napoleon from St. Helena. Unfortunately for him, he is arrested and imprisoned with the smugglers and is set for transportation. He cannot claim his upper class rank because that would blow his cover. So he is in prison, waiting to discover more of the plot. He thinks the woman approaching him with money to marry him is cuckoo but he is game. This is a marriage-of-convenience plot.

There were a couple of reasons this book refused to take off for me. I like when characters are shown -- not just told -- to be competent at their work and then also shown to be engaged in that work. We are told that the heroine is good at running the shipping business, but other than a cursory telling of the things she does, we are not shown details. The hero's motivation for getting married is questionable. The other thing I found unpalatable is not really fair because it exists in a lot of the historical romance oeuvre: He is a rake who is not a rake. I really like rakes to be, well, rakish on the page, not in the past—I like to see redemption. Despite the good banter and flashes of humor and a reasonable MOC plot, the book ultimately didn't work for me.
You are a daughter that inherited her late father's shipping business and to keep your male cousin who is after your money, and the only way to get that is to marry you, you might do something outlandish in to be independent. Georgiana Caversteed decided she is going to wed a man/criminal that is headed for the gallows so she can be married and widow in sort order and then free to live her life as we please.

She marries Benedict William Henry Wylde, but little does she realize that he is the second son of the late Earl of Morcott and well-known rake, is in Newgate prison undercover, working for Bow Street. She knows the name when she hears it and sees him saunter into a ball a few weeks later and realizes her husband is very much alive, and her plan for freedom is muddled. Benedict knew right away who she was when she said her name, and he didn't have a choice not to marry her when he was undercover in prison. But know that he has a wife, he would like to keep her because she is a breath of fresh air to his life.

Trope: Marriage of Convenience, Mystery subplot

I received an ARC from NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for an honest review.
I love mistaken or secret identity stories and this one by Kate Bateman was great! The heroine marries a man facing death to escape her own predicament only to discover he didn't die and isn't who she thinks! Very emotional and sexy, this was my introduction to Kate's works -- I'll be back!
I wasn't familiar with Kate Bateman before reading this book, but with this book she immediately became a fave. This book was everything I love about historical romance and more. Seriously what's not to love about a book where an heiress hatches a plan to marry a criminal and pretend to be widowed to get out of another unwanted marriage only to end up married to the one person in the prison who was not actually a criminal. That premise made for a wonderfully fun romance that had me swooning, laughing, and completely captivated from start to finish. I highly recommend this book and can't wait to read more from this author in the future.
Overall: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Plot/Storyline: 📖 📖 📖 📖 📖
Feels: 🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋
Romance: 💞 💞 💞 💞
Emotional Depth: 💔 💔 💔 💔
Sexual Tension: ⚡️ ⚡️ ⚡️ ⚡️
Sensuality: 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥
Sex Scene Length: 🍆 🍆 🍆🍆

FINALLY! A book with a “mystery” and a villain that worked for me! At first, I wasn’t sure about reading this book. I thought I might hate it because books with spies and villains are not my thing. So I was worried I might hate it, but I am so glad I tried it because I was wrong. Wrong. Wrong!

I adored the premise of this book. The heroine, Georgie, forces the hero, Benedict, to marry her, thinking he is an inmate that will never get out of prison. But he’s really a spy undercover and when he’s released she suddenly has a husband.

I could come up with myriad ways to describe what I loved about this book, but I think the thing that struck me the most is togetherness. To me, this whole book feels like it was about them being together. They marry immediately and quickly learn that they are stuck in this marriage and instead of working against each other, they become a team. There is no animosity between them. No fighting. No disagreements. Just two people who are together in this crazy situation and they make the best of it.

Their marriage and the investigation are the two things that drive Georgie and Benedict together. Georgie’s main reason for marrying an inmate is that she is so rich that no once can see her as worth anything more than a bank roll. Her mission is to become an unavailable women while still solidifying her place in society without ruination. Benedict is a penniless second son who is helping his brother pay off the debts of their father. His mission is to complete his investigation for some reward money.

While both of their issues in life are rooted in finances, their greater battle is that neither of them are truly seen for who they are. Benedict is viewed as a rogue without scruples and a fortune hunter in his own right, when in reality he is honorable and loyal and doesn’t care one bit how much money someone has. And Georgie is overlooked entirely because people can’t see past her gorgeous sister and Georgie’s endless piles of money. So when Georgie and Benedict are thrown together, they don’t expect to find someone who can truly see who they are. And as they begin to learn about each other, they find partnership and trust in a way that neither of them ever expected.

This togetherness is what made the “mystery”/spy/villain aspect work for me. Because it was just a backdrop to their relationship. There were interesting tidbits here and there to further the plot along, but the focus was always Georgie and Benedict.

In all honesty, Benedict is a terrible spy. He divulged his secrets too easily. Takes few precautions in his investigations. Makes decisions that involve Georgie to an irresponsible degree. Some people may be bothered by this, but frankly, I just don’t give a damn about those things. Because, as I said, these two were together through all of it! They shared the page and that is really what I want from a romance.

I’m not sure I can properly call this a “mystery”, which is why I have been putting it in quotes. There were no people dying all over the place and their lives didn’t feel like they were constantly in danger. It was more an investigation style with a dangerous pinnacle. And I vastly preferred that it was not a whodunnit.

There was the unfortunate villainous kidnapping of the heroine as a side story and that was resolved in a hilariously simplistic fashion. It’s probably the only thing I didn’t like about the book. It didn’t feel purposeful and the aftermath was not realistic to me. Georgie is just all “Oh, was kidnapped. No biggie.” With a flip of the hand, and everyone seems to go along with that. This is my biggest complaint about these story lines. No one is ever adequately traumatized by them. And in this particular book, it wasn’t integral to the plot in a way that there was no alternative.

However, it also happens to be a blip on the radar. One thing Kate Bateman did right here (at least in my opinion) was that this happed early enough in the book that we were able to move on and go back to the romance and end on a downpour of feels and love. And instead of the end devolving into one having to rescue the other, they worked together. Which is really all I want in a romance.

The romance really took off in the second half of the book. It’s rare for me that the beginning sustains me until that happens, but here I was interested in the story line. The writing was so good. I loved the characters and their interactions with each other. And then once the romance truly gets underway, I just loved it more and more.

I could really feel them falling in love. There was sweetness and joy that came about as Georgie and Benedict grew to understand each other. They had an easy going camaraderie that was fun to read, gave me some laughs, and made me melt for their companionship. I especially loved when they shared secret moments where they were amused by something that others didn’t seem to notice. They just got along and then fell in love when they weren’t expecting it.

Their relationship also had a good dose of steam. Their kisses were hot and the sex even hotter. I do wish there was a drop more of it, but truly only a smidge and that’s because I am greedy for it. (As Becky likes to say.) I think my favorite thing about the sex is that we get a super hot love scene after they realize they love each other. I feel like that is so, so rare. Usually by that point you get a fade to black or half a scene. But I thought this one better than the first and had so much feeling.

I could still feel them falling in love at the end. And that usually dissipates for me.  But here it was just growing and continued to develop to the very last page. In fact, I thought maybe this would be a 4 star book for me, but the end knocked it out of the park for me because it left me with all those bursting heart feels that I love from a romance. This was my first book by Kate Bateman and I cannot wait to read the next one.
Girl, large dowry, people wanting only her for that sets out to free herself from the confines of society's expectations by resorting to drastic measures. How does she fare? Great read about love and trust.
Title: This Earl of Mine
Pub Date: October 29, 2019
Pages: 325
My Copy: Courtesy of St. Martins Press and NetGalley

Book Summary:

Introducing the Bow Street Bachelors―men who work undercover for London’s first official police force―and the women they serve to protect. . .and wed?

WILL A FALSE MARRIAGE

Shipping heiress Georgiana Caversteed is done with men who covet her purse more than her person. Even worse than the ton’s lecherous fortune hunters, however, is the cruel cousin determined to force Georgie into marriage. If only she could find a way to be . . . widowed? Georgie hatches a madcap scheme to wed a condemned criminal before he’s set to be executed. All she has to do is find an eligible bachelor in prison to marry her, and she’ll be free. What could possibly go wrong?

LEAD TO TRUE AND LASTING LOVE?

Benedict William Henry Wylde, scapegrace second son of the late Earl of Morcott and well-known rake, is in Newgate prison undercover, working for Bow Street. Georgie doesn’t realize who he is when she marries him―and she most certainly never expects to bump into her very-much-alive, and very handsome, husband of convenience at a society gathering weeks later. Soon Wylde finds himself courting his own wife, hoping to win her heart since he already has her hand. But how can this seductive rogue convince brazen, beautiful Georgie that he wants to be together…until actual death do they part?

Book Review:

A very fun and romantic book that takes some interesting twists and turns. I really enjoyed the romance between Benedict and Georgina in a way that was unexpected. Plus the other characters are just as well written as our two main characters. These two individuals find that they need one another for more than ever thought possible.

When the book starts we find that Georgina with her servant Peter accompanying her that she decides she needs to marry someone so she can avoid her cousin trying to marry her, so he can get her hands on her fortune. She has decided that if she is already married he will not be able to touch her or her fortune. Georgia figures out if she marries a convict who is condemned to die, he will not come back from the dead or have a claim to her fortune. So here is where Georgia first meets Ben Wylde (Benedict Wylde) who thinks he is going to die on the journey to some other place. They do get married, but Georgia decides to make him sign an agreement which says he doesn’t have a claim to her fortune and things go smoothly.

Of course when her cousin finds out that Georgia has gotten married, he gets angry and tells her she will be very sorry and demands to find out who this man really is.  I really found it amazing that Georgia keeps her cool in a lot of ways.

Then we fast forward in time and find out that Ben Wylde now going by Benedict Wylde is very much alive and is running a gentlemen’s club or a place that is infamous for gambling and drinking. So of course, we and Georgina didn’t know at the time is that he is the younger brother of an Earl, his older brother has the title of the Earl and he is trying to help his brother get the estate back up to par, as their late father ruined the estate. So he is doing this. Also he does some work for Bow Street, who is investigating things for them in an undercover capacity. T

Things happen and needless to say, Georgie is shocked to see her supposedly dead husband very much alive. Her reaction is one of surprise and then some things happen that make them have to be together and her cousin is being annoying. He just makes things a lot worse and claims he is in trouble and needs her help. Also Georgie has a younger sister Juliette who her mother wants to marry a man with a title, but Juliette has a suitor named Simeon and Simeon is a man that doesn’t have a title and their relationship makes you smile in a different way because Simeon is a bit of a clumsy oaf and makes a lot of mistakes.
	I think the romance is really good and things happen that make them grow even stronger as Georgiana and Benedict make a deal and then they genuinely fall in love with one another. One of the things that I like is that they accept and do start to respect the others view and business acumen in Georgina’s case. Her mother has no idea about things going on in Georgiana life because her mother wants to make sure Juliette is okay and doing the right things. Things happen that make it evident that Josiah, Georgina’s cousin is getting into some deep shit and then shit happens and he does something very unforgivable and then Benedict and Georgina decide to punish him in a very creative way and in a way that he will not bother them again. They send him to America and hope he will learn about honest work they hope.

Also Benedict’s undercover work unveils some surprising results. I really found myself rooting for them. Of course Georgina tells her mother some interesting things. Georgina and Benedict decide to get married again but this time the right way and its a very pretty wedding and ceremony. Also they come up with a new agreement.  Also Benedict and Georgina get titles bestowed upon them by the prince. Which I thought was very sweet and well deserved.

I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought. It was one of my most surprising books and I enjoyed it a lot.

Rating:

4 Hearts
I really enjoy the Bow Street stories, and Kate Bateman's This Earl of Mine was a fun read.

Benedict is in prison, working undercover. Georgie pays to marry a dying prisoner to save her fortune. And when things don't work out and put these two together? Chaos ensues.

I really enjoyed the banter between the two. The chemistry was fun, making each moment eventful.

I will say that when I read historical/regency stories, I always have a problem with the way societies portray women. But, that's one of the plot points, is it not?

Overall, such a fun read, and I can't wait for the next!

*Thank you to the publisher for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.*
In these days of coronavirus isolation (I’m blessed to be healthy for the time being and hope you, Miss Bates’s readers, are well), a diverting, witty book is the best of companions, offering respite, amusement, and the hope that we will, once more, “embrace one another joyously” (as we chant in my church on Pascha). Such is Kate Bateman’s first in her new series, “Bow Street Bachelors,” This Earl of Mine. It’s light, fresh, engaging, and written with ease and a lovely flow. It is premised on my favourite histrom trope, marriage-of-convenience, which, in truth, if it’s well done, should turn into a marriage-of-inconvenience when those pesky feels come into play for hero and heroine. This Earl of Mine captivated me from the opening scene: wealthy cit-heiress, Georgianna “Georgie” Caversteed, has arranged to marry a Newgate condemned convict to put an end, once and for all, to her cousin Josiah’s, among others, constant, persistent, and unwelcome forays into acquiring her fortune for himself, or as Georgie thinks, “Better a temporary marriage to a murderous, unwashed criminal than a lifetime of misery with Josiah.” A convenient marriage and subsequent widowhood, while Georgie hightails it to her Lincolnshire estate, will ensure her independence of person and fortune. Instead, she marries undercover Bow Street runner and impoverished second son, Bendict “Ben” William Henry Wylde, Etonian and formerly of the “Rifles” during the Napoleonic Wars. It is a most engaging opening scene when Georgie notes, despite the grime and overlong hair, how handsome, strong, and confident her husband is, he of the teasing, twinkling eyes and “broad shoulders, wide chest, and long legs.”

Despite the insta-lust hints in the opening, Bateman manages what few romance authors can pull off in the “meet-cute”: how hero and heroine hit it off, how they’re obviously made for each other, their compatibility, and the affection and mutual respect they will find in their marriage. Neither cares for the appearances of the ton, both like and respect the lowliest in society, both have a penchant for adventure and are high-spirited. Their “compatibility” doesn’t deter Bateman from delightfully witty banter either.

Mere weeks after their hasty marriage, at a ton soirée, Georgie realizes one of the guests, the “scapegrace second son of the late Earl of Morcott, reluctant war hero, and former scourge of the ton” is her convict-husband. From here, let the adventures begin! I adored Ben and Georgie both, couldn’t pick a favourite between the two. Ben is determined to uncover a plot to bring Boney back from St. Helena; Georgie is determined, given its a nautical conspiracy and she the owner of a fleet of ships with nautical expertise, to help him do it. It’s not only that the romantic suspense plot is masterfully navigated, it’s the banter, saucy looks, and affectionate friendship blossoming between Georgie and Ben that gives Bateman’s romance its charm.

There aren’t many sombre notes in This Earl of Mine: Ben’s dark war memories, Georgie’s fear that no one can love her “for herself alone” and not her vast fortune. Some self-doubt and feelings of unworthiness on both their parts. But Bateman has managed one thing more masterfully: to write a romance without a dark moment, to focus solely on growing friendship, shared adventuresome spirit, ethical cores, lusty, healthy attraction, and the realization of an abiding love. There’s no Big Mis, no betrayal scene, no reversal of fortune, no grovel. And yet, it works beautifully, the romantic suspense plot and some further nasty shenanigans on Cousin Josiah’s part, provide sufficient conflict and tension.

Witty banter continues to be the locus of communication between our protagonists and is soon followed by affection, shared values, and a determination to catch their man. Secondary characters, such as Simeon Pettigrew, the execrable-verse-composing-and-spouting suitor to Georgie’s smitten sister, Juliet, offer more comic opportunity for Bateman to show off. Simeon’s scenes are hilarious! But ultimately, it’s Ben and Georgie we love because, as Georgie says, “How liberating, to be able to share a joke with someone of equal wit and flexible morals”. LOL! There is nothing here to impede a marriage of true minds, friendship, and affectionate, playful loving bed-sport. Ben and Georgie make it easy to imagine them growing old in adventure, love, happy family life, and, on occasion, undercover forays to save the nation.

If you, like me, are social-distancing and self-isolating as much as possible and want to be diverted and moved, laugh and hold your breath with the sheer adventure of the thing, then read Bateman’s This Earl of Mine. There’s a delightful HEA where Ben and Georgie receive their title. With Miss Austen, we find in This Earl of Mine “no charm equal to tenderness of heart,” Emma. (Also, I’m greatly looking forward to reading the Bow Street Runners next adventure and love-finding in Ben’s companion, business partner, and fellow-war-vet, Alexander Harland, he of the exquisite cravat knots.)

Kate Bateman’s This Earl of Mine is published by St. Martin’s Paperbacks. It was released in October 2019 and may be found at your preferred vendors. I received an e-galley from St. Martin’s Paperbacks, via Netgalley.
This book has lots of action, surprises, and an unlikely hero! It is intoxicating, undeniable attraction and a forever love. A definite buy! I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley and am voluntarily leaving a review.